Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Last Celebration posted:

oh sick, kinda surprised that’s a thing since he does like twice as much damage as any other Suji but I’m not complaining.

There’s Kiwami sujis that make him look like dogshit, he’s not really too OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Shai-Hulud posted:

Counterpoint: The Rockbreaker

Also: gently caress Rockbreakers

I hate Rockbreakers almost as much as I hate Ted Faro.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've been playing Tears of the Kingdom and I audibly groaned when I came across a Rockbreaker-like enemy. At least it's not that tough.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Remember the original Doom didn't have vertical at all, it was all tricks. Hence there not being aiming vertically, you just moved horizontally and the shot would hit whether the enemy was above or below you.

Nah, shots cared about vertical positoning and could miss above or below. The main limit was not being able to stand on enemies.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Tunicate posted:

Nah, shots cared about vertical positoning and could miss above or below. The main limit was not being able to stand on enemies.

You could stand on a high cliff edge and chainsaw someone at the bottom of it who was out of sight.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Breetai posted:

I'm old enough to remember when circle strafing was a newfangled concept, and gaming magazines had articles about how Yes, you should actually use your mouse when playing a first person shooter rather than just having keyboard keys as your controls.

Also, the absolute king of bizarre and esoteric control schemes has to be system shock, which in its original release had actual icon buttons on the heads up display that you would click for movement, rotation, and changing between standing crouching and prone.
Get on my level, I'm old enough to have QAOP muscle memory.

No seriously get up here it hurts when I bend.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

I'm old enough to remember when circle strafing was a newfangled concept, and gaming magazines had articles about how Yes, you should actually use your mouse when playing a first person shooter rather than just having keyboard keys as your controls.

Also, the absolute king of bizarre and esoteric control schemes has to be system shock, which in its original release had actual icon buttons on the heads up display that you would click for movement, rotation, and changing between standing crouching and prone.

Quakeworld Team Fortress is where that caught on for me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The torture scene in Metal Gear Solid is just mean. If you try to stick it out to get the better ending, it tells you that if you lose, it's game over with no continues. And sure enough dying kicked me out to the title screen, with my continue point being ahead of the terrible, annoying sniper boss fight that came before it :negative:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Use a spoon on the face button.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Breetai posted:

You could stand on a high cliff edge and chainsaw someone at the bottom of it who was out of sight.

I said shots, the projectiles and hitscan weapons all care about vertical positions, so you can dodge under an imp's fireballs, for instance.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Use a spoon on the face button.

or roll a pen over it back and forth really fast

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What if Ocelot thinks I'm using auto-fire :ohdear:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've never heard of anyone failing the MGS torture bits unintentionally

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

credburn posted:

I've never heard of anyone failing the MGS torture bits unintentionally

Speak for yourself that poo poo was brutal.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Solidus on EE was a motherfucker.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Bussamove posted:

Speak for yourself that poo poo was brutal.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but...

It wasn't hard. In fact, when it came up, for me, I asked my kid sister to do it for me. She was a toddler. Barely understanding object permanence. She knew what to do. Aced it.

e: I asked my kid sister to do it because the cat wasn't in the room

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This bit is doomed to failure, because I actually am worse at pressing butan than most toddlers or cats

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

This bit is doomed to failure, because I actually am worse at pressing butan than most toddlers or cats

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Cant you recover more of your health by mashing after a torture phase ended? IIRC back in the day that knowledge separated people who who could and couldn't do the torture part of MGS.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

credburn posted:

I don't think anything had "mouselook" until Quake.

That was when I first experienced it, anyway.

:eng101:
  • 1992 - System Shock had mouselook (doesnt really count it was that weird edge panning kinda thing).
  • 1994 - Heretic allowed you to look up and down up a little bit (not with a mouse iirc)
  • 1995 - Terminator Future Shock has the first real 3D mouselook. Also Marathon on mac but who cares.
  • 1996 - Quake had people playing against each other with mouselook realising aiming with a keyboard is stupid

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I remember holding down Home or End to aim vertically in Duke 3D. Agony.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

credburn posted:

I remember holding down Home or End to aim vertically in Duke 3D. Agony.

Also the Build engine was based on the same principles as Doom engine, which means you drew the level on a 2D grid and specified floor and ceiling heights. That's why all walls are vertical.

Build looked more advanced because you could slope the floors and ceilings and allowed you to visually stitch different parts of the level via invisible teleports so you could have elevators and underwater sections. In reality going in and out of a pool in Duke teleported you around a flat plane.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

All the machines ingame are roughly true-to-life size and real or extinct animals, so I’d imagine that was part of the art design specs. Which means no bugs because no up/down scaling.

I understand their reasoning but I reject it completely

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I accept it completely. I've faced many big spiders and scorpions in videogames over the years. Other people might be so bold as to say a lot. It's good to get other cool creatures represented. Earth has had quite a few!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Gaius Marius posted:

Solidus on EE was a motherfucker.

Legit one of the hardest bits in the game, if not the hardest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't like how bug-free toggles in video games are being called "Arachnophobia" mode. I believe anything named Arachnophobia Mode should by definition INCREASE the amount of spiders.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

BiggerBoat posted:

I wish Elden RIng's map had an item/key filter or whatever I should call it. Like if I just wanted to display the merchants or caves

I just finished Elden Ring (or rather made it about 80% of the way through the game before I stopped playing). The map is a big improvement over the DS games without any map, but still far short of what a game from 2022 should have.

One of my things dragging down Elden Ring is that when I am in a fight and pick up or receive an item, there will sometimes be a giant popup that shows what I received and telling me to Press Y to Dismiss. I can fully move and attack while the window is up, not a big deal. In the mini dungeons, I pull a lever and then a little tex box appears on the bottom of the screen that says something like "A door opened somewhere". I continue walking through the dungeon, see a monster come at me, wait to time my dodge followed by attack and instead just stand there and get hit. Because I cannot dodge, attack, or lock onto a target while the little text is on the screen. I need to press Y to dismiss it, even though it does not have a dismissal prompt. The text should not limit my actions and it should just disappear after a little time.

Also, are/were player messages ever useful? I played DS2 in offline mode so I didn't see them. In ER, they are all over the place and I just ignored them. They seemed to be the same jokes over and over: "but hole", "I never expected X", "why is it always X", or "try jumping" on a ledge that clearly only leads to death.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

jjack229 posted:

Also, are/were player messages ever useful? I played DS2 in offline mode so I didn't see them. In ER, they are all over the place and I just ignored them. They seemed to be the same jokes over and over: "but hole", "I never expected X", "why is it always X", or "try jumping" on a ledge that clearly only leads to death.

sometimes

all souls game are like that with player messages, yes ("Amazing Chest Ahead!, Sticky White Stuff, e.g, from Demons")

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

jjack229 posted:

You seriously missed out. Elden Ring's messages were consistently higher quality in my experience. Every cave had clear hints about secrets or even directions like "progress ahead, but go back and left first for treasure". People also desperately try to hint to use healing spells against the goddamn Revenants.

I honestly don't even recall encountering that many meme messages aside from the omnipresent Fort Night and grass.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Feb 19, 2024

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I want to say that if you joined a group that the messages from those members would show up more, so certain ones would have better messages. They have always been pretty meme-ified though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pervert messages are so popular that from software referenced them in 3d Dot Game Heroes. Yuria from Demons Souls is in it and she complains about sticky white stuff.

"this is no time for reading messages!!" from the original Demons is still the best one. I would put it down inside boss fight arenas. There was another that just read "did you think that there would be a hint?"

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Feb 19, 2024

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

John Murdoch posted:

You seriously missed out. Elden Ring's messages were consistently higher quality in my experience. Every cave had clear hints about secrets or even directions like "progress ahead, but go back and left first for treasure". People also desperately try to hint to use healing spells against the goddamn Revenants.

I honestly don't even recall encountering that many meme messages aside from the omnipresent Fort Night and grass.

dog ahead

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I found a lot of secrets due to useful messages in elden ring. you just have to accept that other messages will be crab

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That loving frost troll in Skyrim. It's so unfair it's almost comically.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alhazred posted:

That loving frost troll in Skyrim. It's so unfair it's almost comically.

My last game I went and hugged the mountain to get around that troll. But the gods frowned upon it and had a dragon spawn. I never knew a dragon could appear on the climb to high hrothgar.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dewgy posted:

dog ahead

I saw way fewer of those than I thought I would. I did play like a year after launch, so maybe some of the most vacuous messages dropped off. And maybe they're on the rise again because people are getting itchy for the DLC.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Helldivers 2

Weakpoints are too small, and everything dangerous has to be shot in their weakpoint, or with limited-resource weapons (like orbital strikes). I compare this to Deep Rock Galactic, which has a similar most-things-should-be-shot-in-weakpoints game flow, but their bugs have pretty large weakpoints-- Helldivers (particularly the Automatons) have tiny little heads that are hard to hit, as they bob around while moving, and if you stand still to line up a shot you get bonked for it.

On that note, DRG has you being very mobile 95% of the time, where HD2 penalizes mobility and focuses on positioning. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the differences and it's frustrating as I'm becoming :corsair: and can't snap-aim like I used to.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Evilreaver posted:

Helldivers 2

Weakpoints are too small, and everything dangerous has to be shot in their weakpoint, or with limited-resource weapons (like orbital strikes). I compare this to Deep Rock Galactic, which has a similar most-things-should-be-shot-in-weakpoints game flow, but their bugs have pretty large weakpoints-- Helldivers (particularly the Automatons) have tiny little heads that are hard to hit, as they bob around while moving, and if you stand still to line up a shot you get bonked for it.

On that note, DRG has you being very mobile 95% of the time, where HD2 penalizes mobility and focuses on positioning. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the differences and it's frustrating as I'm becoming :corsair: and can't snap-aim like I used to.

Did you know you can change the zoom on the marksman rifle? It makes hitting weakpoints way easier. Or you can use an explosive or AP gun. I mostly run the diligence as my primary and the autocannon or recoilless rifle as my support weapon so the bots aren't so bad.
The only problem with the diligence is it's weak against swarms so someone else needs to have a machine gun or some way to clear big groups.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Coolness Averted posted:

I thought doom 1 only supported mouse movement and not mouse look originally, so didn't moving the mouse foward and backward move you that way? I only played it with e keyboard, but I remember being really disoriented trying Hexen 2 after I'd been playing Half-Life because the control scheme was back to goofy things for the mouse in an FPS other than mouse look.

No it definitely had mouse look (only left and right, though), this was back when everyone played with the keyboard so it felt like discovering a hack, it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Coolness Averted posted:

Did you know you can change the zoom on the marksman rifle? It makes hitting weakpoints way easier. Or you can use an explosive or AP gun. I mostly run the diligence as my primary and the autocannon or recoilless rifle as my support weapon so the bots aren't so bad.
The only problem with the diligence is it's weak against swarms so someone else needs to have a machine gun or some way to clear big groups.

Yea, the adjustable zoom-in makes a big difference- I've been running Diligence/Antimaterial mostly

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Feb 19, 2024