Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Lord Stimperor posted:

At years end, my employer lets us shop in a gift store. It's mostly rubbish, or gift cards. If I can't use the gift card I sell it for about 90% value.

This is how I get the only gift cards I ever get, via 'Achievement' points given to me by my employer that I turn into Amazon gift cards and then use or sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OgNar posted:

e: looks like that golden pair he had were put up for auction and some Russian guy got them for $9k.

Man can he go like five seconds without receiving money from someone Russian? I'm assuming this is someone US based and not breaching sanctions, but with Trump it's never guaranteed.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

dr_rat posted:

They could do that if you just gave them money!!!

It's dumb but it's because the gift card lets you know you're paying attention to them and their interests. And, while not so much anymore, just giving cash was kind of thought of as impersonal so people would do just what the guy you quoted said... get a gift card to show some thought but they get to make the final detail decisions.

Anyway my mom ALMOST fell for the gift card scam. Old people get scared real easy and there's no rational thought behind it. She's super smart (or at least used to be) and still almost got bit by it. Even after calling me and us realizing it was a scam she STILL wanted to give it to them to "just make it go away" b/c they kept calling her number/emailing her. Just flabbergasted me.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

This is how I get the only gift cards I ever get, via 'Achievement' points given to me by my employer that I turn into Amazon gift cards and then use or sell.

The lengths employers will go to just not pay employees more.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

That machine that took smart phones was completely insane

No questions asked.

Not true, it did ask you for ID first :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

I feel bad for the sneakerheads, all the ones I've seen since these abominations were revealed haven't even had anything left in them to be mad, they're just all super depressed that the thing they like is being sullied with the existence of such an atrocity

They’re still lining up to buy it though aren’t they

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

dr_rat posted:

They could do that if you just gave them money!!!

Sure. But why not replace all gifts with cash then?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

One if my last jobs for a Christmas Gift gave all staff a One 4 All Gift Card. Which is a Gift Card but works at a wide range of stores.

(And has all the limits that Gift cards have, like expirey dates and so forth.)

The argument used as to why was they wanted to ensure that the Gift was used by the employee as a treat for themselves and not just money that would inevitably paid on bills. And I do understand this logic.

But I believe the real reason companies do it, is they can claim the Gift cards as a Tax deduction while paying their employees a bonus.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Valiantman posted:

Sure. But why not replace all gifts with cash then?

Gift giving is a terrible means of wealth distribution. You should just discuss how much you would spend on gifts with your friends and then give or receive the difference in cash with no gift buying or exchange. Very efficient.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Two reasons for commercial bank accounts:

Gift cards have a sunset date, after which the funds on the card revert to the issuer permanently. This includes any residual balance that may be left.

Unlike cash (immediately withdrawn from the issuer's account) and checks (funds are frozen at the issuer's bank once the check is issued), gift card balances remain off the account's books until a debit transaction actually happens.

I learned this when my former employer (an insurance company) suddenly aggressively pushed the issuing of check cards to insureds for claims rather than checks. We couldn't understand why management was flogging this so hard when our customers hated the cards, especially since they couldn't cash them without a) paying a fee and b) going to a specific ATM that was name-branded to my employers banking division. For a while, the closest ATM that would cash the cards was 90-miles away in Harrisburg, PA

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

PainterofCrap posted:

Gift cards have a sunset date, after which the funds on the card revert to the issuer permanently. This includes any residual balance that may be left.

Unlike cash (immediately withdrawn from the issuer's account) and checks (funds are frozen at the issuer's bank once the check is issued), gift card balances remain off the account's books until a debit transaction actually happens.

Both of these might not be universally true. In California at least, gift cards cannot expire or have their balance gradually drawn down with a monthly fee. Also my previous employer refused to issue gift cards as customer rewards because they absolutely did sit on the books as liabilities until the customers actually used them.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I just had to explain to someone that Trump did not just make $150m from sales of his sneakers. (Jordan makes double that with Nike.)

Where is this garbage even coming from?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

small butter posted:

I just had to explain to someone that Trump did not just make $150m from sales of his sneakers. (Jordan makes double that with Nike.)

Allen Weisselberg

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

small butter posted:

"He's a great businessman he must have cut a crazy deal"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How is Trump personally expected to remain solvent? Looking at the tea leaves... isn't he going to have to declare bankruptcy? If I was one of his creditors, it'd be nervous.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gucci Loafers posted:

How is Trump personally expected to remain solvent? Looking at the tea leaves... isn't he going to have to declare bankruptcy? If I was one of his creditors, it'd be nervous.

Become president, take bribes, extort people, etc.

If I was one of his creditors I wouldn't expect him to pay me back either and would try to sell his debt off to more desperate entities.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

Both of these might not be universally true. In California at least, gift cards cannot expire or have their balance gradually drawn down with a monthly fee. Also my previous employer refused to issue gift cards as customer rewards because they absolutely did sit on the books as liabilities until the customers actually used them.

I was going to say I can't remember the last time I had a gift card with an expiration date.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gucci Loafers posted:

Bankruptcy? These Civil Debts will follow him around even after declaring Bankruptcy.
This is like the level of financially screwed beyond Bankruptcy.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Angry_Ed posted:

I was going to say I can't remember the last time I had a gift card with an expiration date.

Federally, the gift card expiration limit is set at 5 years minimum, and several large states have set the expiration limits either so high (New York, 9 years) or removed it altogether (California) that most major gift card issuers just stopped bothering rather than generate different gift cards for different markets.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Barrel Cactaur posted:

There have been several entire industries of automatic pawn shop machines in supermarkets that make very low level crime easier. Like those, the cellphone "recycling" stations, the coinstar(rare coin collections), cash for gold, etc. I'm surprised we haven't seen something as brazen as a machine that takes copper wire.

There's a business model. Cat2Cash, just drop in a catalytic converter.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Question IRL posted:

Bankruptcy? These Civil Debts will follow him around even after declaring Bankruptcy.

When will he need to pay all of his recent fines? If it's this year during the race I can only imagine that going to severely complicate things?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Killer robot posted:

There's a business model. Cat2Cash, just drop in a catalytic converter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

The sad part is he'll probably die to avoid paying it. Although since this was against the Trump Org I guess the fines would pass on to the company?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Nervous posted:

Allen Weisselberg

Oh, I see, he told me that the shoes will be a money laundering operation in which they will resell for $10k each (I don't have to tell you the issues with the math or lack of critical thinking required here).

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

The sad part is he'll probably die to avoid paying it. Although since this was against the Trump Org I guess the fines would pass on to the company?

Trump and a number of Trump-related trusts and corporations are jointly and severally liable under Engoron's order, so dying doesn't really help him

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Any company that gives you a gift card for anything usually isn’t telling you that per IRS rules they have to add the income to your taxable earnings for your w2.

It usually comes from some overzealous HR person who wants to help with employee morale and has been granted a yearly budget to do it, which has to be coded a certain way for finance to get a tax write off.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

shackleford posted:

so dying doesn't really help him

No, not my pro gamer move

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Federally, the gift card expiration limit is set at 5 years minimum, and several large states have set the expiration limits either so high (New York, 9 years) or removed it altogether (California) that most major gift card issuers just stopped bothering rather than generate different gift cards for different markets.

To make it more interesting, large corporations (ie:public or close to public) actually have their gift cards managed through a 3rd party who holds all the liabilities and paperwork on their books rather than it being on their books (as liabilities are baaad). Also makes handling of cards (getting filled, activated, etc) much easier and also redemption is the same as a credit card.

If you see those walls of gift cards in the store - they're almost all done by a single company in the backend that effectively acts like an unlicensed bank to the companies.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We have a few companies like Sodexo run various benefit and food cards for employers here. There's some amount you can give employees tax free, with the idea that it will encourage local spending on restaurants, heal and culture stuff. It now works like a debit card that you can only use on the approved stuff and your "points" expire at the end of the year.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Jesus III posted:

Gift giving is a terrible means of wealth distribution. You should just discuss how much you would spend on gifts with your friends and then give or receive the difference in cash with no gift buying or exchange. Very efficient.

Actually let's just avoid the transaction fees from cash transfers. No gifts for anyone, ever. Much better for everyone, really.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Gift cards are when your family doesn't trust you not to spend it on drugs and don't know you can sell them easily now

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
What really bothers me is not that my credit card rewards programs try to suggest gift cards instead of cash back, but that they're sometimes worse deals than the cash.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Killer robot posted:

What really bothers me is not that my credit card rewards programs try to suggest gift cards instead of cash back, but that they're sometimes worse deals than the cash.

That is why they suggest them. Chase would rather pay you $16 than $20.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That is why they suggest them. Chase would rather pay you $16 than $20.

Oh, I get it, they could just bother to make it look like it had any kind of upside whatsoever. It's low effort even for trying to wring more money out of me.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Killer robot posted:

Yeah another bad deal is when your bank tries to get your to spend those points at a checkout stand and they give you a worse conversion rate than if you just used cashback on their website. But hey this poo poo is still legal and it's not like anyone's doing anything about it, gotta keep that grift economy rolling in Scamerica I guess.

Oh and don't forget to buy some cryptocoins at the coinstar when you trade in your coin collection too :rolleyes:

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 19, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Turns out the Trump shoes don't currently exist and if you placed an order, then you won't get them unless enough other people place orders to make it profitable enough to Trump to order them and have them manufactured.

https://twitter.com/pappybest/status/1759572056017080503

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Turns out the Trump shoes don't currently exist and if you placed an order, then you won't get them unless enough other people place orders to make it profitable enough to Trump to order them and have them manufactured.

So when they say they have sold out, it’s a preorder? How many were ordered? :laugh:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zwabu posted:

So when they say they have sold out, it’s a preorder? How many were ordered? :laugh:

Three as far as I know. One was to a VP of Deutsche Bank.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

mdemone posted:

Three as far as I know. One was to a VP of Deutsche Bank.

I was wondering who sniped the third pair from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

So it's kickstarter.