Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Also it's interesting how they made INT boost AoE damage now.

I'm not seeing what the major benefit is, even using the solider demo skill feat option instead.

Assuming Argenta has 140 demolition by Act 4(is this even possible?) the flamer could be doing 44 average damage over a huge area, and this melta 32dmg over a very small area. Even with the nerfs to burst fire where would that even really matter? It could maybe help clear out the trash adds who have ~100-150 HP but anything else is going to shrug it off and attack next round.

Flamer at least has amazing synergy with Pyromancer. Melta seems like a big waste. The damage potential only seems balanced if facing off against enemies who have comparable HP to the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jack Trades posted:

Also it's interesting how they made INT boost AoE damage now.

I hate the huge focus on voices in games now, it's so expensive to do and I feel like how trails of cold steel does it (bits are voiced, most isn't) is the perfect balance so you get more dialogue and aren't distracted by voices talking over it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pentyne posted:

I'm not seeing what the major benefit is

The benefit comes from when you have a non-Pascal character with high INT and you deciding what weapon to give them based on that.

Taear posted:

I hate the huge focus on voices in games now, it's so expensive to do and I feel like how trails of cold steel does it (bits are voiced, most isn't) is the perfect balance so you get more dialogue and aren't distracted by voices talking over it

What the gently caress?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Voices rule imo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't think I've ever played an RPG of any kind and thought "I wish this part didn't have voice acting".
It's such a bizarre thing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hell I like em so much... I could sing!

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Until Baldurs Gate 3 I've always felt voices are bad for RPGs because they limit dialogue choices and responses. Looks at e.g. the Mass Effect series or Fallout 4 for some examples of this. BG3 is the only fully voiced rpg I've ever played that still had a ton of reactivity and lots of different dialogue options, although if you replay the game you can still see some of the resulting seams. 99% of RPGs aren't BG3 though and will likely continue to be that way, so yeah, I still think voices in RPGs are a waste of money.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

I don't think I've ever played an RPG of any kind and thought "I wish this part didn't have voice acting".

I mean it is a legitimate bottleneck for devs to commit to full voice acting. See Morrowind -> Oblivion. Personally I prefer the mix that Owlcat does where important characters in important scenes get cool voices but some sidequest with General Nobody can vomit paragraph after paragraph of unvoiced but well written text at you

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

pentyne posted:

The primary focus looks to be eliminating 2 officer spamming free turns in one round, on the same character, so unless I'm missing something you'd have to use one Bring it Down on Argenta, and then the next on your PC/Yrielt/Pasqal.
Set Steam to offline mode and don't install the patch, got it :v:

quote:

Massive overhaul of combat, with some mention of scaling down enemies as well to compensate. Losing the flat damage per attack increase seems like it effects primitive guns more then anything since they had the various +X to damage feats.
I do think this is a bit weird. They explicitly say it's to compensate for "broken things no longer working". I hope they aren't going to nerf everything so it's as easy as it was with the broken builds enabled - that would be completely pointless.

I guess we'll see when people have played around with it a bit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zephro posted:

I do think this is a bit weird. They explicitly say it's to compensate for "broken things no longer working". I hope they aren't going to nerf everything so it's as easy as it was with the broken builds enabled - that would be completely pointless.

I guess we'll see when people have played around with it a bit.

The goal is to not make the player weaker. It's to bring different strategies into being closer to each other in terms of power.

If you nerf the OP powers AND the enemies then your weak powers will be stronger relatively to the rest.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I played the entirety of Rogue Trader without audio.

I’m near the end of Kingmaker without audio.

I’m planning a Wrath run and it won’t have audio.

Whenever I pick up BG3 I’m sure I’ll play it without audio.

You could save several million dollars, several gigs of data, and have actual (patchable) options in dialog trees.

Allegedly BG3 did it well and it has destroyed the studio. It’s probably not worth it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

These days every studio folds after a big release. I'm not sure whether the business model doesn't support the staffing or if it's greed or inflation making the $60 price point slip or all three but game development has been tough. The market seems like it's reaching maturity. Everybody who is going to spend console or PC money to play AAA games are already playing them.

Isn't Larian private though?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 19, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Naramyth posted:

Allegedly BG3 did it well and it has destroyed the studio. It’s probably not worth it.

What?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Yeah I feel like I'm taking crazy pills is this just wishful thinking about the Downfall of Larian or is there news you're not sharing

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I like the UI changes to the level up screen.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Naramyth posted:

I played the entirety of Rogue Trader without audio.

I’m near the end of Kingmaker without audio.

I’m planning a Wrath run and it won’t have audio.

Whenever I pick up BG3 I’m sure I’ll play it without audio.

You could save several million dollars, several gigs of data, and have actual (patchable) options in dialog trees.

Someone failed to configure their Soundblaster card to play Time Commando in 1996 and has since been permanently wounded.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I just hope strength actually ramps up a bit for Hammer Abelard

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Larian just made a speech at an award ceremony that they don't have shareholders and don't really care to get any so I imagine all the corporate Todd Howard's are screaming to anyone who will listen that Larian doomed because they don't "get" game development.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Also I'm not going to respect any opinion of a goon who is seemingly confused why video game makers include audio in their products.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Naramyth posted:

What?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
BG3 technically isn't fully voiced the protagonist character is effectively silent even if you pick an "Origin" character, it's not really a Fallout 4 or Dragon Age/Mass Effect situation where you had to be funneled down a couple of main personalities.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

DaysBefore posted:

I mean it is a legitimate bottleneck for devs to commit to full voice acting. See Morrowind -> Oblivion. Personally I prefer the mix that Owlcat does where important characters in important scenes get cool voices but some sidequest with General Nobody can vomit paragraph after paragraph of unvoiced but well written text at you

I agree that voice acting is a major cost sink, and not everything needs to be voiced (especially the player), but Oblivion is a really bad example. When they were recording they didn't even have the scripts printed out in order.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Partial VA to get character voices in my head plus combat barks is fine for me for CRPGs. Full VA is a risk that can work (VmtB still puts games to shame 20 years later).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I agree that voice acting is a major cost sink, and not everything needs to be voiced (especially the player), but Oblivion is a really bad example. When they were recording they didn't even have the scripts printed out in order.

Either that or Xenoblade 2 the lines were delivered to the VA in an excel sheet that was simply alphabetized.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have to admit that I'm in the 'occasional VA, thanks' camp- not every line needs to be voiced, and depending on how much it costs, it could restrain dialogue choices/patches. The prologue, combat barks and incidental dialogue should be voiced, but everything else, I'd skip it.

JamMasterJim posted:

Full VA is a risk that can work (VmtB still puts games to shame 20 years later).

Oh for sure, but flavourwise that game was a confluence of factors that came together just right- and only flavourwise. Even today, with all the patches and stuff added, it is still somewhat awkward and dated (at least when i replayed it a few months back).

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Are there any reasonable build guides out there? I love Pasqal but I cannot figure out a good feeling build for the poor guy.

Also I stuck Cassia on grand strategist and I'm not sure if that was a good move, but it's not like I'm using any AP on non psyker stuff anyway

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

I thought I read they lid off a bunch of employees and were almost bankrupt but I can’t find that info again so uh hearsay nonsense I guess

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

wiegieman posted:

Right and that's very funny lol but the problem isn't that it leads to bad direction decisions it's that it limits the amount of information that can be delivered, the types of questions a player can ask, and the ability to make revisions if something was written/voiced wrong. All that is muchbeasier to work around if you just have to tell some underpaid writer to work 19 hour days writing more paragraphs of flavour text and exposition dumps (laudatory)

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Xun posted:

Are there any reasonable build guides out there? I love Pasqal but I cannot figure out a good feeling build for the poor guy.

Also I stuck Cassia on grand strategist and I'm not sure if that was a good move, but it's not like I'm using any AP on non psyker stuff anyway

Easiest way is to go full Plasma since he gets damage bonuses based on Int bonus (int bonus is good for him in general) and AP refund.
Assassin gets damage boosts (and you will have to raise his Dodge/dodge reduction on top of INT), Bounty Hunter can share benefits and debuffs, Grand strategist can lay down zones for powerful effects (like 20+% damage increase or 20% extra armor, especially if you have another Fel based grand strategist). If you have another operative in the party and you have the passives to distribute stacks, he can expose weakness and strip their armor almost to 0.
Plasma weapons having the ocercharge ability makes for a good alpha strike (and optimally, you will not need much more).

Alternatively, you can focus on Meltas, which may now benefit more from Int with AoE changes.

I just cannot see Melee Pasqal really working, but maybe someone has a build above casual.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Looks like "paradox solved" has been nerfed so it only works once.
Definitely for the best, but still: boo spoiling my fun

E: woah buncha nerfs. Finest hour no longer regenerates any once per turn abilities.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 19, 2024

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Naramyth posted:

I thought I read they lid off a bunch of employees and were almost bankrupt but I can’t find that info again so uh hearsay nonsense I guess

Gotcha yeah that was a ton of other studios, big corpo studios, who did that so their quarterly earnings could look great for shareholders.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xun posted:

Neoseeker guides: made by InEffect who became extremely popular for tons of Unfair viable Kingmaker builds
https://www.neoseeker.com/warhammer-40000-rogue-trader/guides/Builds

Wergilia: youtuber, posts pretty quick and straightforward videos, not a lot of excess chat or commentary. Focuses mostly on unfair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD96SJvM0mU

Slandered Gaming: best youtuber option because he links excel build sheets for every video, no need to watch anything unless you want reasons why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCRZG0V8mQg

crpgBro: same as Wergilia, build videos are like 30 mins long and he explains a lot of stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhioPxLxrAQ

However, most builds may be less optimal or outdated as a result of the 1.1 patch, but should still work for anything below Unfair once you understand the mechanics.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Xun posted:

Patch just rebalanced everything to the point of giving people free respecs, so whatever build guides once were are probably null and void for a while.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

I've thought this many times. But usually only when it's the player character.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Naramyth posted:

I think wizards of the coast had lay offs, including people that worked with larian advising them on d&d.

E:

quote:

All Astartes weapons have received a roughly 15-30% damage increase and improvements to their other stats and effects;

Astartes Go for the Throat ability now has a higher range and allows to pass through enemies, knocking them down;

Uralon no longer de-equips his weapon and armour without possibility to equip it back;

Space Marines have received +10 to their base Fellowship, Willpower and Intelligence and +15 to their base Perception;

Ulfar and Uralon now start with special additional equipment;

Space Marines now have more maximum wounds and may act as a cover for their allies;

:toot:

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 19, 2024

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jack Trades posted:

So I sorta, kinda get it. I read really fast, so the dialogue scrolls and the character starts talking and I've read the entire thing before he's done with the first word. So now I'm either gonna sit here listening to him slowly say the things I know he's about to say, or I skip past it and miss out on the voice acting -- which can be good, and add a lot to the character and the experience of the game! And I always pick kind of a halfway point between skipping everything and waiting to hear the line reads and it's always vaguely dissatisfying.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Naramyth posted:

Larian is like the only major studio that hasn't done big layoffs. WotC though has laid off every single person on their end who worked on BG3, but that's just down to Hasbro's greed.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

quote:

Fixed an exotic case where a movement ability could register the click incorrectly, sending the character into 0.0 coordinates on the location, which effectively made them cowardly run away from combat in a random direction. Lord-Captain, we have a deserter!

End of an era lads

e: Updated Toybox out. Adds ability to change companion size (need to save and reload to update), fixes for the new version
https://github.com/xADDBx/ToyBox/releases/tag/RTv1.5.10d-fix

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 19, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I can't tell if the vendor reputation changes were retroactive because I'm still in act 4 start with a 21 reputation as the absolute highest for one and mid-high teens for the others. This was after dumping all my excess Act 3 gear into cargo and trading it too.

Unless Act 4 just dumps a truckload of vendor cargo on you I still don't see any way to get a single vendor to 35, much less any of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to miss being able to do like 3,000 damage in a round of burst fire with argenta.