Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Somehow I have managed to never see a picture of a Tu-160 with the wings swept back before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

meltie posted:

Is there a picture of these flippy uppy wing bits?

Briefly at 1:35 and more at 2:12 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR6uIWk8yLI&t=90s

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is the Tu-160 actually all that good of a plane? There’s probably a massive difference between the original model and the upgraded Ms but I wonder if those things are another white elephant project sucking up money for prestige reasons disproportionate to their military value.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

As I was walking into the YVR terminal several years ago, there was an old man causing a bit of an commotion out on the sidewalk with some either Air Canada or Westjet employees and security. His bag was open and they were just dumping out bugs. You could see them crawling all around the inside of his case. I don't remember if they were roaches or what but fuuuuck.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

meltie posted:

Is there a picture of these flippy uppy wing bits?

Here's another shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvvYOdATPrw&t=913s

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

david_a posted:

Is the Tu-160 actually all that good of a plane? There’s probably a massive difference between the original model and the upgraded Ms but I wonder if those things are another white elephant project sucking up money for prestige reasons disproportionate to their military value.

if they're graft, whoever's doing the grafting is real good at it, cause iirc they're gonna be building new ones in addition to the modernization project

my guess would be their niche is doing long-range cruise missile strikes on short notice, since they're the fastest strategic bomber currently flying

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

well crikey.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

david_a posted:

I've been wondering this, too. Going way, way back to this excellent Mr. Chips post, it seems like it was originally conceived as an intercontinental bomber that could break mach 2. The thing is, though, I don't think it can supercruise, which is the thing that would really distinguish itself as a big honkin' standoff attacker. Also, it seems to lack the B-1b's infiltration ability. I guess part of this depends on how much the Tu-160 costs compared to more conventional designs, but I'm thinking it costs a LOT, what with the giant swing wings and all. This isn't nothing if can only be used in a standoff role, what with Tu-142s being so much cheaper.

I suspect the Tu-160 makes more sense if you accept Russia has lost the ability to design new aircraft; then I'd think it'd be their most survivable heavy bomber. Of course that depends on their ECM abilities---

Fun hypothetical: Ukraine of course had some Blackjacks when the USSR collapsed. Assuming for the moment they could be kept flying and usable, what could Ukraine use them for in the current war?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nebakenezzer posted:

Assuming for the moment they could be kept flying and usable, what could Ukraine use them for in the current war?

Targets.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Cruise missile launches from way the hell behind the front, same as Russia.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The new-build TU-160Ms are openly billed as missile bombers. Their point is to be able to carry cruise missiles very far, and then launch the cruise missiles, which themselves travel rather far. The idea is modernized avionics and weapon interfaces plus a new model engine, so they can carry a mix of cruise missiles as well as newer hypersonic weapons.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i imagine part of their role is just existing and being nuclear-capable for MAD reasons, something the b1 wasn't as useful for given the existence of the b2

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cactus Ghost posted:

i imagine part of their role is just existing and being nuclear-capable for MAD reasons, something the b1 wasn't as useful for given the existence of the b2

The B-1B was meant to be an FB-111 on steroids, packing a shitton of SRAMs (the FB-111 could carry 4-8 while the B-1B could carry 24 internally) to blast deeper and much larger corridors through the Soviet AD network.

The Tu-160 could probably be called Soviet Aviation's last "prestige" project, designed to correct the shortcomings of the Tu-22M and the outright embarrassment of the Tu-22.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

packing a shitton of SRAMs

i know it means some kind of missile, but i giggled at the idea of some very serious airforce pilot delivering a bunch of expensive bicycle components to the soviet union

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Somehow I have managed to never see a picture of a Tu-160 with the wings swept back before

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOkg5qNLyao

Canadian flies DC-8

NFB Canada's short on an Trans-Canada Airways DC-8 flight from Montreal to Nassau. I'm guessing the ring around the exhaust is some kinda noise blocker?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 19, 2024

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Think the ring is part of the thrust reverser, the collection of pipes ahead of it is the hush kit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Both, according to some rando on the internet. Makes stuff quieter, more efficient, and has thrust reversing capabilities.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Elviscat posted:

Both, according to some rando on the internet. Makes stuff quieter, more efficient, and has thrust reversing capabilities.

That just raises further questions!

(Why is the exhaust nozzle corrugated?)

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Also noise suppression. And despite that Conway powered DC-8s and 707s were the loudest commercial aircraft ever besides the Concorde.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Theris posted:

Also noise suppression. And despite that Conway powered DC-8s and 707s were the loudest commercial aircraft ever besides the Concorde.

What about the Tu-114, the airliner version of the Tu-95 Bear? Wikipedia claims 108+ dB in some parts of the cabin :pwn:
Also the Tu-144 (concordski) I guess but that barely qualifies as a commercial airliner.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Phanatic posted:

They originally weren’t; that was the first iteration of hush kit. The idea was to increase the area of mixing between the fast exhaust gasses and outside air, as the more area the less noise it will make.

Modern high-bypass turbofan engines have the core exhaust entirely enveloped by the bypass air, which helps a lot, but even the bypass air is moving a lot faster than the surrounding air. That’s why the 737 Max, 747-8, and 787 have that chevron pattern around the bypass output - it’s basically a built-in hush kit.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The 747-8i is noticeably quieter than the 747-400 when sitting in the back.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Pedjijatar/status/1759660437182783668

It’s like a dog with diarrhœa.

https://avherald.com/h?article=5151ede4&opt=0

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Theris posted:

Depending on how you slice that pie I think there are some rocketry firms that would disagree.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Speaking of loudest places on an airplane, where is the loudest point on a 737/320? I'm guessing it's X feet behind the wing root, where X is 7 to 25'? A function of the engine wash or whatever

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

TheFluff posted:

What about the Tu-114, the airliner version of the Tu-95 Bear? Wikipedia claims 108+ dB in some parts of the cabin :pwn:
Also the Tu-144 (concordski) I guess but that barely qualifies as a commercial airliner.

The Tu-114's epic noise (mostly from the props rather than the engines) was ironically loudest in the 'first class' (or Soviet equivalent of) saloon, which was above/just behind the wing. Until revised reduction gearboxes and engine bearers were fitted the area also suffered terrible vibration at cruise power, sufficient for Aeroflot to have to design rubber place mats to stop plates and glasses shuffling off the dining tables and onto the floor.

The 114 had sleeping compartments which must have been a challenge.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Hadlock posted:

Speaking of loudest places on an airplane, where is the loudest point on a 737/320?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

"For strength and extra surface area", he guessed, loudly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BalloonFish posted:

The 114 had sleeping compartments which must have been a challenge.

Wear both earplugs and muffs, and at that point it’s either hell from the vibrations, or they’re soothing and have you sleeping like a baby.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you were doing instantaneous sampling, at mach 0.8 wouldn't it be further back

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I remember sitting at the back of the cabin, next to the starboard engine on an Aeromexico 727 and it wasn't extremely loud, but it made some very disturbing grinding noises throughout the flight from Hermosillos to LA that, were my car's engine making them, would have resulted in an immediate shutdown until WTF it was could be determined.

Good thing it was a smoking flight. :corsair:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/santa-barbara-airport-closes-runways-flood-18676166.php

This doesn’t look good:

I’m supposed to be flying there on Saturday.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Speaking of loudest places on an airplane, where is the loudest point on a 737/320? I'm guessing it's X feet behind the wing root, where X is 7 to 25'? A function of the engine wash or whatever

Purely regarding engine noise, I'd actually guess it's window seats in the rows starting a few ahead of the inlets until you get far enough back that the wing fully occludes the engine nacelle(s).

My semi wild-rear end guess is that the airflow over the wing actually dampens the noise coming out the back as heard inside the passenger cabin, but I'm open to an aerodynamics nerd explaining why I'm wrong.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Hadlock posted:

Outside: No idea, but probably somewhere behind either of the engines.
Inside at low speed: Directly behind the wing, you get basically all the noise from the gear, the engines, and the flaps in the wind.
Inside at high speed: The cockpit. Wind noise comes from air being forced to change direction and/or speed. The majority of the fuselage runs parallel to the free air stream so it doesn't interact much beyond skin friction whereas the cockpit windows are large blunt objects that hit the oncoming air stream more or less straight on.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Unless the water actually damages something like the asphalt, which isn't super likely, you'll be fine by Saturday.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

TheFluff posted:

Warbird posted:

Depending on how you slice that pie I think there are some rocketry firms that would disagree.

Ok, fine. Everyone please pretend I said "jet" instead of "aircraft." Thanks.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
In a similar "technically correct but not exactly what was actually asked", I found this fun little bit of FAQ on the website of one of the "rich person air taxi" companies today.

BLADE FAQ posted:

Does BLADE arrange flights on both jet-engine and prop powered aircraft?
All helicopter, seaplane, and land plane flights sold by BLADE on a by-the-seat, crowdsourced, or charter basis are operated on jet turbine powered aircraft. Each BLADE operator is vetted for safety and reliability to ensure the highest level of service.

A lot of the "jet turbine powered aircraft" are Cessna Grand Caravans. Which, yes, turboprops are technically jet turbines, buuut I don't think that is exactly what most people have in mind when they picture a jet.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Wear both earplugs and muffs, and at that point it’s either hell from the vibrations, or they’re soothing and have you sleeping like a baby.

The people most likely to be able to sleep in the thing would be the most unlikely to set foot in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Neat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4SPL3XMl_E