Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Serotoning posted:

That said people who use full punctuation in texting will forever weird me out and probably deserve Punishment.

With SwiftKey, putting in a punctuation autocompletes the word and adds a space. Using punctuation is faster for me!

Edit: and autocapitalizes the next word!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yet it takes about ten times longer if you want to use a short form i.e. i.e.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Uthor posted:

With SwiftKey, putting in a punctuation autocompletes the word and adds a space. Using punctuation is faster for me!

Edit: and autocapitalizes the next word!

What I mean is texting like this:

code:
me: hey where are u
weirdo: I'm here at the entrance.
me: on the north side?
weirdo: Yes by the food trucks.
If your texts are just single thoughts/sentences anyways, the period is implied, you don't need to put it. It makes the tone weird IMO.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

the path to liberation is available. type your thoughts without machine intervention.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Serotoning posted:

What I mean is texting like this:

code:
me: hey where are u
weirdo: I'm here at the entrance.
me: on the north side?
weirdo: Yes by the food trucks.
If your texts are just single thoughts/sentences anyways, the period is implied, you don't need to put it. It makes the tone weird IMO.

There’s a pretty big difference between

code:
We need to talk
And
code:
We need to talk.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
we need 2 talk

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Serotoning posted:

It makes the tone weird IMO.

only if you hyper-analyze every single little detail of a casual conversation

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

why arent you guys using any emojis in your posts? is it because you are mad at me???

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

:wankah:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm an interesting person, insists ageing goon. I'm like that on purpose, actually.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have auto-capitalization off since I don't want capitalization for chat messages, but I still manage to write long-form content with proper capitalization for readability.

It's not that hard (except for the iOS keyboard that has capitalization override auto-correct so stuff like "I" and "I'm" stays lower case like a neanderthal.)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

spincube posted:

I'm an interesting person, insists ageing goon. I'm like that on purpose, actually.

i follow legacy rules of grammar in an ever changing and evolving online culture that no longer adheres to or requires norms because..... BECAUSE!

also language and communication is fluid. duh

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
*points at thread title*

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

*points at thread title*

:aslol:

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

i follow legacy rules of grammar in an ever changing and evolving online culture that no longer adheres to or requires norms because..... BECAUSE!

also language and communication is fluid. duh

Holy crap you used capital letters!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lol imagine being upset about this. Goons really are something else

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

XIII posted:

Lol imagine being upset about this. Goons really are something else

idk if it's about anger, I think Slim said it was more about feeling punctuation made things too serious and that doesn't seem like they're upset so much as keeping things light

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

spincube posted:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

*points at thread title*

Still apt.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Maybe the iPhone-havers are right, maybe we're not worth communicating with :gbsmith:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

idk if it's about anger, I think Slim said it was more about feeling punctuation made things too serious and that doesn't seem like they're upset so much as keeping things light

He's not the one I'm laughing at

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

XIII posted:

He's not the one I'm laughing at

That would be me. I'll die on this hill.

And getting laughed at by a Pixel Warrior, the phrase I coined, is just cruel. Fellow Pixel Warriors, get them!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
The rules don't matter and I refuse to abide by them!

*Never showers again*

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
This thread had the weirdest derails

Somewhat related, what keyboard do people use

I've been using SwiftKey since it came out 40 years ago. People say it got worse since Microsoft bought it and that may be true but I've never found a keyboard that can convert the 3 words I mushed together cause I missed the space button and auto correct them to the 3 words I meant to say

Something about gboard never felt right to me and samsung keyboard is horrible.

I'm gonna guess since most people here are pixels that gboard is gonna be the most popular keyboard

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm still using SwiftKey as well. I have to use GBoard for my work stuff, and it's fine, I guess, but I feel like I have to make far more corrections with it (although I swipe type on that and tap type in SwiftKey).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Somewhat related, got a new phone, using SwiftKey, everything is fine except now when I copy something, "paste" is one of the three suggestions for what word I am typing. I've never had that happen on my old phone and I'd rather just have a third suggestion and long press on the screen to do the pasting.

What do I need to toggle to turn that off?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I use Gboard but I also run netguard and block it completely from any network connection (on top of doing this in the Gboard settings) because I don't trust Google and I have an entire suit made of tinfoil so they're not gonna get me

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Uthor posted:

Somewhat related, got a new phone, using SwiftKey, everything is fine except now when I copy something, "paste" is one of the three suggestions for what word I am typing. I've never had that happen on my old phone and I'd rather just have a third suggestion and long press on the screen to do the pasting.

What do I need to toggle to turn that off?

Hm is it the word 'paste' or is it the content on your clipboard? I just tested and mine also shows the copied content in the suggestions in center and once I start typing it will be the right most suggestion for a few words and then goes away. I actually like that and sometimes it doesn't show up there and it annoys me. I don't see any options for enabling or disabling that though

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Resdfru posted:

Hm is it the word 'paste' or is it the content on your clipboard? I just tested and mine also shows the copied content in the suggestions in center and once I start typing it will be the right most suggestion for a few words and then goes away. I actually like that and sometimes it doesn't show up there and it annoys me. I don't see any options for enabling or disabling that though

The copied content.

Weird, never got that on my Pixel 4a. Guess I'll learn to live with it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Resdfru posted:

This thread had the weirdest derails

Somewhat related, what keyboard do people use

I've been using SwiftKey since it came out 40 years ago. People say it got worse since Microsoft bought it and that may be true but I've never found a keyboard that can convert the 3 words I mushed together cause I missed the space button and auto correct them to the 3 words I meant to say

Something about gboard never felt right to me and samsung keyboard is horrible.

I'm gonna guess since most people here are pixels that gboard is gonna be the most popular keyboard

Yea I been using Gboard for awhile. It has swiping and works well enough for me. Though maybe it's time to poke around at some alternatives to see if something bettis out there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I used SwiftKey in the past, but on my Pixel Gboard seems at least as good, if not better.

I remember wondering why Swype kept getting worse and worse and then discovered it had been abandoned like 2 years previously.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It was basically Swype --> SwiftKey --> GBoard for me.

One thing I appreciate about Gboard is being able to backspace to undo an autocorrect. SwiftKey was especially rough with mixed-case words, ironic considering its name. Also just a lot of wrong punctuation. The devs should read Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I just found backspace to undo autocorrect in SwiftKey yesterday. I'm still getting used to it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What is the approximate release schedule for Pixel 9, Samsung S25, and other top-tier models?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mid-October for Google. Samsung keeps creeping a bit earlier, but it's generally between Jan and March.

There's not going to be much new coming out till fall at this point outside of the Samsung Fold6 and Flip6 in late summer. OP12 was the last flagship for awhile.

8a will be sometime early to mid summer. Rumors are putting the Pixel Fold 2 with the rest of the Pixel lineup in the fall.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 19, 2024

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, it's a while off but my trusty Pixel 5a is out of warranty in August so just thinking ahead. I'll probably keep it as a spare though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At this point, I cannot recommend OnePlus devices until they sort out their software. I was using my OnePlus Pad today and noticed the telltale signs of chrome performance issue. It had been free of it, but I guess it came with the Android 14 update.

Octane 2.0.

Pixel 8 Pro: 50116

S24U (in Light performance profile): 60053

S24U (in Standard performance profile): 68349

OnePlus 12 (in High Performance Mode): 45858

OnePlus 12 (in Normal Performance Mode): 18556

OnePlus Open: 6388

OnePlus Pad: 4732

That's right, the OnePlus Pad currently has less than 1/10th the javascript performance of the Pixel 8 Pro.

Stuff improves quite a bit if you use Chrome Beta since it sidesteps the specific throttling they do with Chrome, but it still isn't scheduled very well. Using Chrome Beta, my OnePlus Open gets 35709 which is still significantly below the Pixel 8 Pro (a pretty sorry showing for a Snapdragon 8 Gen 2.)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i legitimately do not understand why anyone would have a need for any keyboard aside from gboard since it does swipe. i alternate between two thumb typing and swipe typing based on whether im somewhere stationary or if im walking around and holding poo poo in one hand or whatever. they're both really solid options but swipe def can't recognize some less common words.

Resdfru posted:

I just found backspace to undo autocorrect in SwiftKey yesterday. I'm still getting used to it

or you could just turn autocorrect off altogether 😏 i have it disabled but keep the suggestion strip enabled. if i horribly misspell something or if i'm typing a longer word the suggestion comes up and i can tap the middle suggested word and it fixes or replaces it for me. or if i'm typing and miss the spacebar and hit "b" or "n" or something like "ornsomething" the middle suggestion will be "or something" and it fixes it for me.

best of both worlds where i can use the keyboard to fix my poo poo while still typing manually how i prefer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Any leaks yet for the Pixel 9? Or the Pixel Watch 3? I hope there will be a big size one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I used SwiftKey in the past, but on my Pixel Gboard seems at least as good, if not better.

I remember wondering why Swype kept getting worse and worse and then discovered it had been abandoned like 2 years previously.

They got bought by someone right? Was it Dragon?