Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

God drat communists trying to take away our movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xcQIoh3FQQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Finally got around to seeing The Beekeeper. That was some dumb fun. I had a good time, lmao.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A bee made is a bee kept.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

whoops, forgot to quote your source there fella:

wouldn't want anyone to think you're stealing meme valor :)

kalel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 19, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kalel posted:

whoops, forgot to quote your source there fella:

wouldn't want anyone to think you're stealing meme valor :)

Well I needed to remove a few whack ones. (They are all whack)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Vakal posted:

First public executions went away now movies, what else will this fickle society of ours lose?

A habitable environment

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
ZACHERY TY BRYAN
ARRESTED FOR ALLEGED DUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dWqEDC3nt4

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Aaarooooo??

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I love how embarrassed Mike is to even mention the visible marks

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
heads up you frakkin bastiches, its time for a new episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1RkVFP8fw

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Non Compos Mentis posted:

how do the staple remover bugs eat?

They feed each other.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_long_spoons

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
I was assured that madame web was actualyl going to be good wtf!!!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aomqbq5eIB0

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Meat Wagon posted:

It sounds like your expectations weren't grounded in reality!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

On the one hand, it feels like a very positive development that we can now think of super hero movies on the level of the ben hur reboot. But on the other hand, I don't know if it makes up for the degradation we've seen in the state of jay's hair

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Meat Wagon posted:

Perhaps your expectations should be kept in a more dynamic state

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It’s a shame we aren’t getting a Sidney Sweeney Spider-Woman movie now.

You know honestly that on the face of it sounds so much more appealing that a Madame Web movie it’s odd they decided to start with Madame Web.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Meat Wagon posted:

Weed gripped again

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think there's any super hero movie left at this point where, if it didn't happen, I would say it was a shame. The genre has been exhausted, there has been enough

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Super Hero movies aren't dead until Mel Brooks makes a genre parody about them. He better get to work quick or we're gonna be stuck with them forever.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

the most annoying thing about the "comic book movies are dead" groupthink is that Joker 2 and Deadpool 3 will make a shitload and the narrative will change again. we do not live in a good enough world for comic book movies to be dead

mystes
May 31, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't think there's any super hero movie left at this point where, if it didn't happen, I would say it was a shame. The genre has been exhausted, there has been enough
I feel like people have been saying this for a long time though

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The other studios are still making somewhat-watchable comic book movies. Sony's trying their best to kill the trend dead but Disney is too powerful in its mediocrity to be defeated.

Disney needs to plan ahead and create the Marvel Vault.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm interested to see if James Gunn can turn it around at DC.

I think Marvel is completely exhausted and will sputter out. But the studios that have been sputtering from the start still have tread on their tires. If Sony had a non-idiot to run things, they've got X-Men, Fantastic Four. Instead they've been doing these dipshit Spider-Man Without Spider-Man movies because they let that first Venom movie trick them into thinking it could be done.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

No Mods No Masters posted:

Spider-verse 3

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

bitterandtwisted posted:

the TOS music kicks rear end, especially the fight theme tune.
As much as I love the later TNG seasons, I did not love the sonic wallpaper score.

Yeah Rick Berman firing Ron Jones and imposing wallpaper music on the rest of the series and the whole franchise was a huge let down. Whenever I’m the-watching TNG, the change in music is really jarring, the show just feels much more bland even when the writing is firing on all cylinders.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

PostNouveau posted:

I'm interested to see if James Gunn can turn it around at DC.

I think Marvel is completely exhausted and will sputter out. But the studios that have been sputtering from the start still have tread on their tires. If Sony had a non-idiot to run things, they've got X-Men, Fantastic Four. Instead they've been doing these dipshit Spider-Man Without Spider-Man movies because they let that first Venom movie trick them into thinking it could be done.

X-men and FF are Fox/Disney. The reason Sony keeps doing spider poo poo is because it's all they got. Literally.

edit: Gunn is saying the right things but when your boss is a dude who hates anything that isn't reality TV, I don't have high hopes at all.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think GotG 3 kind of showed that Gunn’s special magic may have run dry, it was a bit of a slog and retread a lot of the previous themes in his movies etc. I didn’t love it anyway. 1 and 2 were great.

That said Peacemaker the show was fantastic fun.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

X-men and FF are Fox/Disney. The reason Sony keeps doing spider poo poo is because it's all they got. Literally.

edit: Gunn is saying the right things but when your boss is a dude who hates anything that isn't reality TV, I don't have high hopes at all.

Oh I thought Sony had bought those decades ago before Marvel started their own studios.

So Fox had them forever and now Disney has them because they bought the Fox TV/movie divisions?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Super Hero movies aren't dead until Mel Brooks makes a genre parody about them. He better get to work quick or we're gonna be stuck with them forever.

The alternative is for someone to create the Airplane! of superhero films and kill the entire genre dead.

No, Superhero Movie does not count. Also jfc, Craig Mazin wrote and directed that piece of garbage!?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Many have tried to parody super heroes and it doesn't work. There's nothing too stupid for super heroes. The attempted parody will just be consumed like all other media.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the best superhero parody was the tick cartoon

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

hold up, what if we had a super hero movie...

that grounded in reality

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

imagine a dark gritty take on the superhero genre. very adult and mature

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hemale in pain posted:

imagine a dark gritty take on the superhero genre. very adult and mature

Imagine a dark, gritty deconstruction of the superhero. Surely that hasn't been done before.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

priznat posted:

I think GotG 3 kind of showed that Gunn’s special magic may have run dry, it was a bit of a slog and retread a lot of the previous themes in his movies etc. I didn’t love it anyway. 1 and 2 were great.

That said Peacemaker the show was fantastic fun.

I thought it was weird in GOTG 3 how the whole planet full of sentient animal people got blown up and no one cared

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Imagine a dark, gritty deconstruction of the superhero. Surely that hasn't been done before.

I like how you told the exact same joke as the post you quoted

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Vim Fuego posted:

I thought it was weird in GOTG 3 how the whole planet full of sentient animal people got blown up and no one cared

Yeah that really didn’t sit very well with me. Gunn has a really nasty edge with regards to innocent casualties (see also peacemaker, suicide squad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m watching The Marvels. I kinda just assumed that the movie would re-introduce Kamala Khan to audiences that hadn’t seen the Disney+ show.

But no, they fully expect everyone to have already watched the streaming Ms. Marvel series before they watched this new 200 million dollar blockbuster.

That might be the single greatest act of hubris in cinematic history.