Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001

xbilkis posted:

I do have to admire the gumption of this show for including a polar bear and a hatch as part of its tale of dumb bullshit that largely doesn't get resolved or doesn't really add up

Even :lost: had more respect for it's polar bear than this show

a more logically explained hatch too, for that matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If the womens’ story is correct (the men actually died of freezing) the entirety of episode two ice rink plotline was pointless. The main characters went out of their way and dedicated significant resources… But the clue they gained was unreliable. We spent probably 20 minutes setting up and paying off the ice rink and all we learned is “There was one missing guy.”

I don’t know who, in the wider community and of the scientist’s families (as well as the veterinarian) would believe “every single researcher decided to go outside at once and they all died. But before that one of them, who ended up dying a week later, confessed to a camera person!

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Golden Bee posted:

If the womens’ story is correct (the men actually died of freezing) the entirety of episode two ice rink plotline was pointless.

The women’s story is that the spirit in the ice ate the men’s souls.

There are many thematic elements and multiple pieces of in-universe evidence supporting this

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If they’re evil killer spirits, it makes sense they would kill the scientist, who were captain planet villains.
“Please, Kate, turn the valve that says pollution so we can get our fragile microscopic samples!”

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Smith Comma John posted:

The women’s story is that the spirit in the ice ate the men’s souls.

There are many thematic elements and multiple pieces of in-universe evidence supporting this

Yeah I think that was the whole thing about Danvers saying that Otis has the same burned retinas and ear drum damage but that happened years before the science digging and murder.

Basically the ice ghost burns your eyeballs and pops your ear drums for some reason. The women claim that they just made them walk away from the truck and if the ice ghost didn't eat them then they could walk back to their clothes. But they didn't and their eyes were burned and the veterinarian (lol) said they didn't die of freezing so... Must've been the ice ghost.

It's all very stupid.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Turning a big dial labeled "pollution" and constantly looking back at the scientists like a contestant on the Price is RIght

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

HootTheOwl posted:

Turning a big dial labeled "pollution" and constantly looking back at the scientists like a contestant on the Price is RIght

sometimes you have to accelerate your science

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I undersold how bad a detective Danvers is, because I forgot that she also drove drunk and stole from the evidence locker to give a recovering addict heroin.

I think it would be fun to introduce the “We just killed Prior, we have to risk our lives and careers to get the truth!” duo to the pair seven hours later who reacted to a murder conspiracy with “these things just happen.”
——
Assuming the mining protests worked, the entire series has the same ending as Indiana Jones 1. Except Otis would’ve died in an abandoned building instead of a kitchen, and both Priors would’ve lived. Chuck would’ve killed himself after leaving the hatch.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

HootTheOwl posted:

That's my favorite detail because it would have been completely trivial to rewrite that in a way that reaches the same conclusion but doesn't sound stupid:

"We pumped in hazardous chemicals to drill into the ice more quickly, which leaked into the water and poisoned the local community."

This is basically a thing that already happens in the actual US!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/12/climate/epa-pfas-fracking-forever-chemicals.html

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Ancient Ice Ghost has a tattoo gun hidden somewhere and that’s pretty loving cool.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I don’t know how anyone can say it was a lot better than season 2 when season 2 rules.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Victory Lap posted:

Yeah except that science station has the cure for all human diseases don't forget. That's a totally plausible thing to dig out of the ice, right?

It doesn't matter whether they have the cure to anything. All that it matters is that they believe it. People kill for equally tenuous reasons all the time.

It's the same way that the Inupiak women believe that the spirits killed the men, rather than the cold.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
ice to meet you

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
If you guys keep talking about this season being bad I will shoot your mouth off your face

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

pig labeled 3 posted:

If you guys keep talking about this season being bad I will shoot your mouth off your face

Two people already tried that with Navarro but she's got that boxer's jaw of concrete.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
Wait yeah, why did the mine collude with the scientists to pollute the ice more? Like sure they would eagerly do that to increase their bottom line but the scientists were looking for a cure-all spell for the benefit of mankind, so what's the greedy mine people's motivation here? Are they secretly also working for the good of all, making every activist and protestor factually wrong? Are they being paid off by Tuttle Corp, making the Tuttles mankind's benefactors?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Useful Distraction posted:

Are they being paid off by Tuttle Corp, making the Tuttles mankind's benefactors?

yeah this was covered, albeit with one line by hank jr. in his role as forensic accountant. there's some ownership overlap or something

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

CeeJee posted:

Two people already tried that with Navarro but she's got that boxer's jaw of concrete.

Navarro's superpower is shaking off concussions.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The_Rob posted:

I don’t know how anyone can say it was a lot better than season 2 when season 2 rules.

s2 in hindsight had lots of fun stuff. colin farrel beating up the little fat kid. vince vaugn sleepwalking his way through scenes as his wife tells him he's a bad actor. way better than this s4 gar-baj

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
So a few folks so far in this thread have mentioned that the big bad of SE01 was just some crazy hick. I think only one person meant it derogatorily, and the others to illustrate that you think it's the supernatural and then BAM murder-cult Deliverance.

But Childress wasn't a bumpkin. If you listened to him talk to his half-sister-wife in the house you know that he's orchestrating all this. Even if he's just regurgitating weird dark philosophy he would have been fed as a kid. And even if he's just a puppet leader.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Noooo I wrote a long effort post about this but accidentally closed the window. Oh well. I liked it well enough, many of Issa Lopez' themes from 'Tigers Are Not Afraid' were repeated for sure. It could have been a fine TD series without the hamfisted additions of Rust's dad, "time is a flat circle", etc etc. But it was over all coherent and satisfying. The women of the village brought the colonial murderers to justice and Annie devoured their souls. Time is an illusion and the future does influence the past. The injustice of her death influenced the past/the spirits of her ancestors enough that it hosed up the ice caves guy years before she died. Navarro and Danvers had to enter 'night country', the edge of death, to learn Navarro's Le Guin-esque 'true name' and for Danvers to accept the message from her son.

Current season ranking: 1 > 4 > 3 > 2

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Why did the ghosts kill all the caribou, anyway?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Turpitude posted:

Time is an illusion and the future does influence the past. The injustice of her death influenced the past/the spirits of her ancestors enough that it hosed up the ice caves guy years before she died.

Yeah, I thought the moment where Navarro has a vision of Clark in the past and comes to believe that Clark had a vision of Navarro in his future was a more effective demonstration of disjointed time than the explicit "flat circle" callback.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

nooneofconsequence posted:

Why did the ghosts kill all the caribou, anyway?

pretty sure it is because a TV exec wanted to hook the audience with something sp00ky

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I thought the moment where Navarro has a vision of Clark in the past and comes to believe that Clark had a vision of Navarro in his future was a more effective demonstration of disjointed time than the explicit "flat circle" callback.

agreed

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cassian of Imola posted:

Season 1 had its own problems in the back half — the big break in the case, you'll recall, is 'painters often have ears the same colour as the house they painted'. But nothing on this level

I think that bit's actually quite important to S1- because it needed to show Rust wasn't a perfect detective, that he'd miss something like that because he's so far up his own rear end on occult and conspiracy stuff. Marty being able to catch it was something important.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
this season was embarrassing

utter dross

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
It's ridiculous that the ice caves were so close to the research station, but I think it's even more ridiculous that these "True Detectives" missed the hatch in their initial investigation that leads to a giant underground lab. OR...if the entrance really is that well-kept of a secret, it's similarly ridiculous that the cleaning staff was able to discover it while cleaning (and then climb down there because...???)

Maybe if they had investigated the scene of the crime a little better in episode 1 they wouldn't have had to do all that dumb poo poo in episodes 2-6!! More like Poo Detectives

I will say, I've enjoyed dragging this lovely season of the show with coworkers and here online, whereas Season 2 was the boring kind of bad, and 3 was competent enough but ultimately forgettable. For that reason this is probably my 2nd favorite season of TD, but certainly not for the reasons they intended.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
it was like the underground tunnels in lovecraft country

glad nobody talks about that trash since kang was outed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

watch Monsieur Spade instead

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

Panzeh posted:

I think that bit's actually quite important to S1- because it needed to show Rust wasn't a perfect detective, that he'd miss something like that because he's so far up his own rear end on occult and conspiracy stuff. Marty being able to catch it was something important.

If I recall right its mentioned beforehand that Rust is such a good detective that he can tell if someone is innocent or guilty after 20 minutes of talking with them. His talk with the guy who ended up being the culprit was cut very short by Marty trying to rush his rear end back to the car.

Not that he would have for sure nailed it if he had more time, though. I like how it's another example of Marty loving the investigation up.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

HermitSupplier posted:

If I recall right its mentioned beforehand that Rust is such a good detective that he can tell if someone is innocent or guilty after 20 minutes of talking with them. His talk with the guy who ended up being the culprit was cut very short by Marty trying to rush his rear end back to the car.

Not that he would have for sure nailed it if he had more time, though. I like how it's another example of Marty loving the investigation up.

Yeah, 100%, Rust is a much better detective than Marty, but Marty isn't wrong when he suggests that Rust jumps to conclusions and gets tunnel vision. Marty's also guilty of this, and his wrong-ness a lot of the time ends up coloring our view of everything he says, along with being kind of personally unpleasant to his family.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, 100%, Rust is a much better detective than Marty, but Marty isn't wrong when he suggests that Rust jumps to conclusions and gets tunnel vision.

Ive said it before. What makes their dynamic work is Marty is what happens when you don’t think and are maybe not curious, rust is what happens when all you do is think.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Ive said it before. What makes their dynamic work is Marty is what happens when you don’t think and are maybe not curious, rust is what happens when all you do is think.
ah well said. i never thought of it this way :)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

DarkLich posted:

Havent watched the newest season but it sounds like the thread generally recommends against it!

You can do a whole lot worse tbh. Works enough that I'd say it's worth throwing on. It's only six episodes after all. At the very least it fails while trying to do something vs. going super by the numbers. So while we're dragging it for some very, very dumb decisions (jfc that Twist and Shout cover), check it out if you've seen the other seasons.

Panzeh posted:

One thing this show gets right is that all the detectives kind of suck. They aren't attached to the cases because they're the best at what they do*, it's strictly their tenacity in solving the poo poo that makes em' the protagonists. It's a nice change from CSI or Sherlock-esque shows.

*I think Rust is the one exception to this, but I like what that one person said about him being all logos.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 19, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't feel like the season really tried to do something. Every intriguing part of the plot got railroaded by cliche detective tropes. Hard nosed captain, brash officer that resorts to physical violence, personal tragedies driving both of them, one of them being slightly dirty creating weak moral dilemmas that happen in 99% of cop shows. Every time they tried to go down a new path they just rooted themselves right back. Ghosts were meaningless clue finders to drive the story, the polar bear and ice spirit ultimately didn't matter (kind of hard to make me fear an ice spirit when the naked scientists would have died anyway to exposure), nothing new said about tribal interactions with American capitalism, they barely even used the arctic setting they were in since the main characters had cold plot armor and all the problems the townsfolk had would be problems in a regular town. Sure they had alcoholics and abuse and pollution, but that could be any town in America.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Turpitude posted:

Current season ranking: 1 > 4 > 3 > 2

LMAO if you think this season is better than season 3. I can concede that it's less boring than season 2, but way, way dumber.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
1>3>2=4

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

1 > 2 > 3 > 4

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The first 2 episodes of season 3 are the second best True Detective has ever been but after they change directors it flattens out to the same as the other crooked number seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I think I ended up liking a lot of the broad strokes better than the show itself.

Yeah, it's a GoT S8 thing where the broad strokes are fine and I can easily see it working out, but the final execution's pacing is so terrible and tonally inconsistent that none of it feels earned.

Can't argue with the acting, though. Everyone did a fantastic job trying to sell this.

General Dog posted:

This show kind of has the Raiders of the Lost Ark “problem” where the end result is basically the same if our heroes just stay home the whole time. Expect in Raiders of the Lost Ark it feels like the joke is on Indy whereas here it feels like the joke is on the audience.

Yes, I suppose without Navarro and Danvers the video cofession doesn’t come out and the mine stays open, but that’s presented so late and so briefly as to be an afterthought.

The detective not really solving anything and arguably just making the whole situation worse is a pretty well-established subgenre of detective fiction. Neo-noir in particular tends to love it.

I don't have a problem with Danvers and Navarro ultimately deciding that the whole thing is best swept under the rug.