Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Shes had some bad lawyers. I appreciate the feedback. I was just hoping there was something that I could do to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

She needs a lawyer who talks to his lawyer. She doesn't need his lawyer talking to her and her talking to you. Also, I understand that this is your friend and you're emotionally invested, but it may be good to take a step back and consider how you can best support her. Blasting her business out to strangers online may feel cathartic, but it's not helping her.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Trickle legal situation in which you feel trapped and don’t know what to do?

Sounds like you’re ready to receive the gospel of the Uniform Commercial Code

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I've always seen the top advice in this thread to be calling the state bar and asking for a recommendation for a good lawyer.

Or website stuff, but basically the state bar has several services or options for finding reputable lawyers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain Duvel posted:

Shes had some bad lawyers. I appreciate the feedback. I was just hoping there was something that I could do to help.

One bad lawyer. ok, bad lawyer.

If someone starts saying all their lawyers plural have been bad . . . maybe it wasn't just the lawyers. No offense to you or your friend, but my gut instinct when hearing stories similar to the one you've shared with us so far is that there may be a lot of facts I have not yet heard. Something's not adding up. One bad lawyer? ok, that happens. Multiple bad lawyers? Statistically unlikely. Bad judge too? Ok possible. Bad judge who for some reason is caring about pot, but not about the ex's nasty record and failure to pay child support and documentable incidents of threats? Seems weird! That's not how the SC judges I know usually react to such things!

pentyne posted:

I've always seen the top advice in this thread to be calling the state bar and asking for a recommendation for a good lawyer.

Or website stuff, but basically the state bar has several services or options for finding reputable lawyers.

https://www.scbar.org/public/get-legal-help/find-lawyer-or-mediator/find-a-lawyer/

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 16, 2024

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Two or more bad lawyers in a row are called 'A Client'

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

'A Client'

:cheeky:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

blarzgh posted:

I often have situations like this in my practice, where one side or the other side's strategy is to present themselves as judgment proof.

Generally what I do when the other side tries this strategy, is say, "okay, then we will settle for an agreed judgment, rather than a settlement agreement. If you really don't have anything then I can fart around for 10 years trying to collect and never be able to."

If they're telling the truth, then good, I will have my judgment and if they ever come into any money I can get it.

If they are lying, they will refuse, because they know that I will take my judgment and then go collect on all of their property that they're lying about not having.

Either way, I have my answer.

Was looking for one of my old posts and saw this and wanted to comment: About a year later that's what happened. We tried to get them to stipulate to a judgment that ended up being about 1/3 of the judgment we got at trial and they of course would not do it.

The weird thing about it was my BK lawyer thought that the guy would actually agree to it, despite pretty much knowing at that point (unless the guy was trying to make his financial situation look better than it was in the stuff he sent us) that the guy absolutely could come up with that amount but it would be like 2/3+ of his net worth.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Well, they don't call me, "Guy who knows about deadbeat dickheads" for nothin

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Well, they don't call me, "Guy who knows about deadbeat dickheads" for nothin

Better than knowing all about dickbeatin deadheads

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Assuming trump doesn't win an appeal or whatever with the engoron judgement, how does it he state go about collecting on such a massive judgement? Do they start seizing accounts, or do you just expect them a check for hundreds of millions? I'm sure there not so much money sitting around, so it'd require the forced sale of assets right?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

BigHead posted:

'A Client'

:cheeky:

:golfclap:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

mercenarynuker posted:

Better than knowing all about dickbeatin deadheads

Hey no need to doxx me, I wasn’t involved in this one

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Can a juror be charged with jury tampering based on what they say during deliberation? For example, people have been charged for jury tampering for handing out flyers outside the courtroom to jurors that explain jurors rights and jury nullification. What if a juror gets into deliberation and informs the other jurors about jury nullification? To take a step back, if during voir dire, a potential juror talks about jury nullification, can they get in legal trouble?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Skunkduster posted:

Can a juror be charged with jury tampering based on what they say during deliberation? For example, people have been charged for jury tampering for handing out flyers outside the courtroom to jurors that explain jurors rights and jury nullification. What if a juror gets into deliberation and informs the other jurors about jury nullification? To take a step back, if during voir dire, a potential juror talks about jury nullification, can they get in legal trouble?

Offers by a juror to kill or bribe other jurors for their vote during deliberation in a way that would clearly affect deliberations will likely get charged with tampering.
Talking about nullification in deliberations absolutely will not.
Talking about nullification in voir dire absolutely will not, unless they are told to stop talking and don't, but that will be for not stopping talking, not for bringing up deliberations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thesaurus posted:

Assuming trump doesn't win an appeal or whatever with the engoron judgement, how does it he state go about collecting on such a massive judgement? Do they start seizing accounts, or do you just expect them a check for hundreds of millions? I'm sure there not so much money sitting around, so it'd require the forced sale of assets right?

You can garnish bank accounts forclose on real and personal property, seize assets, all that jazz. The State can, and will grab anything that isn't nailed down, and will foreclose on anything that is l.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

blarzgh posted:

You can garnish bank accounts forclose on real and personal property, seize assets, all that jazz. The State can, and will grab anything that isn't nailed down, and will foreclose on anything that is l.
How likely do you think it is that he delays and puts up enough obstacles that they end up having to seize it from his estate?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

How likely do you think it is that he delays and puts up enough obstacles that they end up having to seize it from his estate?

The issue is, When you try to appeal a judgment, You have to post a bond just like when someone gets arrested and wants to be out of jail while they wait for the trial.

That means you have to put down some sort of cash or surety (it's like an insurance policy) in order to stop them from collecting on the judgment while the appeal process plays out.

Typically you can post a surety bond which means you pay 10% cash to the insurance company on the judgment and the insurance company fronts the rest of the money while they wait on the appeal.

However, in New York I don't think you're allowed to do that, or at least that's what I've heard.

So in order for him to stop the state from going after his assets while they appeal, he would have to come up with the full 355 million, cash.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
On the other side, just as a practical matter, if you're a judgement creditor and you think there is a snowball's chance in hell that an appeal will be successful, You probably slow down on collecting, so you don't run into the case where you end up having to pay a bunch of money back because the judgment got reduced or even overturned.

In between those two positions are special procedures where you put a lien on properties or have them possessed but not sold in order to preserve them for the outcome of the appeal. That prevents them from being sold off, but doesn't actually convert them to the property of the judgment creditor.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah, I was thinking he might do the whole ignore poo poo, protest, attempt procedural delays at every opportunity shy of an actual appeal requiring a cash deposit.
I would guess every little step involved in the actual seizure and sale would present an opportunity to try slowing things down.
And the guy is old and not exactly the shining example of health.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In cases where people jump bail, what happens to the bail money?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Skunkduster posted:

In cases where people jump bail, what happens to the bail money?

The court keeps it. Don’t post bail for people you don’t trust to keep to the terms. Or do, knowing you’ll lose that money.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Ashcans posted:

The court keeps it. Don’t post bail for people you don’t trust to keep to the terms. Or do, knowing you’ll lose that money.

I figured the court would keep it, but does it get distributed from there?

What got me thinking of it was the episode of Better Call Saul where Lalo puts up 7M in cash then skips down to Mexico. Where would that 7M eventually end up?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Skunkduster posted:

I figured the court would keep it, but does it get distributed from there?

What got me thinking of it was the episode of Better Call Saul where Lalo puts up 7M in cash then skips down to Mexico. Where would that 7M eventually end up?

That's why bail bond companies hire bounty hunters. Because they can't get their money back out of the court until the defendant is brought back in and tried.

The event of someone simply skipping the country forever, I believe there is a civil asset forfeiture proceeding they can go through where the state just says " they're never coming back. Let's go ahead and give the money to the county"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If someone is on bail and dies, does that count as not showing up as well?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tunicate posted:

Generally the charges are dropped. You can't prosecute them any further; they can't be served with notice of their court dates.

I say "generally" because sometimes prosecutors get really obstinate about demanding proof of death.

I dunno man I linked you an online obituary for a dude with the same name and DOB, what do you want here

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 18, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Generally the charges are dropped. You can't prosecute them any further; they can't be served with notice of their court dates.

bullshit

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Tunicate posted:

When you die most if not every state will dismiss any charges against you (because you don’t exist as a legal person) which I’m guessing means your bail is returned.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

(because you don’t exist as a legal person)
Only if there's gold fringe on the casket

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If it were, say a fraud or theft case, or something that could have reparations or similar, would the victims just be poo poo out of luck?
Have to sue the estate civilly?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

If it were, say a fraud or theft case, or something that could have reparations or similar, would the victims just be poo poo out of luck?
Have to sue the estate civilly?

You generally always have to sue civilly for damages, whether the individual or the estate.

'Reparations' are almost exclusively a condition of probation, only by agreement of the defendant, in certain types of criminal cases, but they aren't very common to my knowledge.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Back on the subject of jury nullification, if one juror holds out on a guilty plea, does the court know which juror it was?

Edit: can the judge dismiss jurors without needing the prosecution or defense to challenge?

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 19, 2024

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
No. The other jurors might narc though, but they'd only be allowed to narc after the court declares a mistrial and the case was set for a do-over.

In jury selection, sure I guess. Not after that.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

blarzgh posted:

You generally always have to sue civilly for damages, whether the individual or the estate.

'Reparations' are almost exclusively a condition of probation, only by agreement of the defendant, in certain types of criminal cases, but they aren't very common to my knowledge.
Thanks. Re-reading, I remembered the term I was originally attempting
was "restitution".
I had heard it ordered fairly recently on a zoom hearing, and was kind of surprised that was a thing that the court would order.
But, if I'm correctly gathering what you laid out, that would have been by some sort of agreement?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

Thanks. Re-reading, I remembered the term I was originally attempting
was "restitution".
I had heard it ordered fairly recently on a zoom hearing, and was kind of surprised that was a thing that the court would order.
But, if I'm correctly gathering what you laid out, that would have been by some sort of agreement?

Correct; I'm only aware of it as a term of probation. I e. "Charged with fraud, agrees to do 18 months probation and pay $2,500 in restitution, in lieu of jail time."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Right though in theory you could have probation where the only condition of the probation was payment of x amount of restitution before y time.

It's also possible for probation restitution to be converted into a civil judgement.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's also possible for probation restitution to be converted into a civil judgement.

How does this work? I’ve used guilty plea colloquies as evidence in civil cases but seems there could be due process issues here

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
In Alaska restitution judgements are civil judgements with all the rights attached thereto. The State Victims Fund or whatever can garnish the free oil checks Alaskans get every year. Crime victims have a constitutional right to restitution, though the court of appeals hates criminal restitution and never affirms. Restitution is also routinely a probation condition, though trial courts will always order it then refuse to enforce it because they (rightly) don't want to jail poor people for not paying money.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How does this work? I’ve used guilty plea colloquies as evidence in civil cases but seems there could be due process issues here

In FL, it is often in the defendant’s benefit to convert a criminal restitution to a civil judgment because it means they no longer have criminal fines, won’t get locked up for failure to pay, and can subsequently recover the right to vote.

The vast majority of these debts are uncollectible, and it is much better to have an outstanding civil judgment than an outstanding criminal fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
In Wisconsin, one of the paperwork bits an agent is supposed to do at the end of probation is a procedure where any criminal restitution is converted to civil. There are times where if you do good, and pay back what you owe, you can get off early.

Another big thing is (unless this has changed, which it might have) your voting rights are suspended until you pay back the victim in full. I'm (thankfully) about 7 years out of date from working in probation.