Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

It depends. Resolution, intended settings?

Low settings at 1080 is fine, I just want >30 fps. My RX 570 is struggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Smashing Link posted:

You’ll be fine. It’s not really a graphically intense game.

I’m doing maxed settings on a 2080 1440p, 60fps. A 4060 at 1080 >30 fps should have no problem.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cyrano4747 posted:

You’ll be fine. It’s not really a graphically intense game.

I’m doing maxed settings on a 2080 1440p, 60fps. A 4060 at 1080 >30 fps should have no problem.

With DLSS enabled you can totally play it at 1440p high settings and still hit above 60, even on a mobile 4060. My friend with a 3060 has beaten it multiple times this way with no complaints

change my name fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 19, 2024

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is a 3080 Ti for 600 quid even worth considering? Friend is looking to upgrade but I have no idea (and kind of no interest) in finding out how it stacks up to the 40 series.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its somewhere between a 4070 and 4070 Super with more power draw and no framegen. i dont what UK prices are like for new cards, but the 4070 is $530 in the US right now and the 4070 Super is $590. i wouldn't go for the 3080 Ti at that price.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

ijyt posted:

Is a 3080 Ti for 600 quid even worth considering? Friend is looking to upgrade but I have no idea (and kind of no interest) in finding out how it stacks up to the 40 series.

I was asking the same question (for a relative) a few days back and everyone agreed it was a terrible idea at 500 quid.
600 will get a 4070 super which is better in every way pretty much.

3080ti is only worth about 400/450 max, to balance the age of it, the power draw/hear, the lack of frame gen

Just checked and 4070 supers have dropped to £540 which is a no brainier

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 19, 2024

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah the 6700XT is It around $330.
You can pay 1/3 more for a 7700XT and get 1/3 more fps, but with that old a CPU I'm guessing you're not aiming at the ultra demanding games at the moment.

Yeah, I just want to run FFXIV after the graphics update coming this summer :shobon:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

change my name posted:

With DLSS enabled you can totally play it at 1440p high settings and still hit above 60, even on a mobile 4060. My friend with a 3060 has beaten it multiple times this way with no complaints

Sold!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So for games like The Ultimate Battle Simulator where there's thousands of identical guys on the screen, do I need more RAM on the GPU, or not because they are all the same?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Smashing Link posted:

I played at medium-high settings on a 2060 sometimes and hit 30-60 @ 1080p. It scales pretty well. I installed a 4060 for someone and they've been very happy with it since they aren't very fps sensitive.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RodShaft posted:

So for games like The Ultimate Battle Simulator where there's thousands of identical guys on the screen, do I need more RAM on the GPU, or not because they are all the same?

More cache on the CPU.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is there a reason at all to hitch my wagon to an AMD card over nVidia. I have a friend who keeps trying to push AMD on me for a video card, but my reading of it all is they were viable "back in the day," but nVidia cards always seem to be the better buy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Star Man posted:

Is there a reason at all to hitch my wagon to an AMD card over nVidia. I have a friend who keeps trying to push AMD on me for a video card, but my reading of it all is they were viable "back in the day," but nVidia cards always seem to be the better buy.

AMD is still very viable but a lot of it depends on the budget and use case for the card.

If you want RT then Nvidia is the way to go but if you don’t care about that then AMD is perfectly acceptable and priced slightly better.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Star Man posted:

AMD is usually a better value if you're just talking straight raster performance - nVidia cards have better high end features but if you're a price-conscious buyer then things like raytracing and productivity performance tend to take a backseat to "most frames, fewest bucks"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

AMD is still very viable but a lot of it depends on the budget and use case for the card.

If you want RT then Nvidia is the way to go but if you don’t care about that then AMD is perfectly acceptable and priced slightly better.

plus AMD is still much better if you're a linux dork, especially with the wayland switchover looming and nvidias support still not being quite there yet

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I also feel like if you are in the $300 (ish) range AMD is hard to beat right now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am a knuckle-dragging retro gamer just looking to upgrade a six-year-old system. The newest game I own is Diablo IV and I've backed off of it because my GTX 1060 just can't handle it all that well. It's not unplayable, but I feel like my system is not up for it.

I'm not playing anything where high framerates make that big of a difference, or at least don't seem to be. I'm just on this eternal rotation of a Diablo game, MechWarrior, some old game anthology, or Other.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

I am a knuckle-dragging retro gamer just looking to upgrade a six-year-old system. The newest game I own is Diablo IV and I've backed off of it because my GTX 1060 just can't handle it all that well. It's not unplayable, but I feel like my system is not up for it.

I'm not playing anything where high framerates make that big of a difference, or at least don't seem to be. I'm just on this eternal rotation of a Diablo game, MechWarrior, some old game anthology, or Other.

MarcusSA posted:

I also feel like if you are in the $300 (ish) range AMD is hard to beat right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Star Man posted:

Imo look for a 6700XT for $330 if your budget can support it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Star Man posted:

Nvidia's lineup is a mess right now. If you have $600 to spend the 4070 Super is probably the best all around GPU buy right now, but $600 is obviously not cheap.

The Nvidia options under that are a joke. The $400 or $500 4060 Ti sucks for the money, and they don't even have a single current or last gen option under $300.

If you have the budget for a 4070S I wouldn't even consider AMD, though.

Edit: oh yeah your situation is actually the perfect scenario for buying AMD. Hell, you'd probably be thrilled with a $200 RX 6600XT, which is vastly faster than the 1060.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 20, 2024

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Feel like resolution is important, too. The higher res your monitor, the more upscaling is going to matter at basically all price points but the tippy top.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Part of me has always believed that pairing an AMD Radeon card with a system using an AMD processor unlocks perfect harmony.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Star Man posted:

Part of me has always believed that pairing an AMD Radeon card with a system using an AMD processor unlocks perfect harmony.

It doesn't actually matter, at all

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

It doesn't actually matter, at all

My mind knows it doesn't matter, but my heart wants it to matter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Gotta get the set bonus, bro!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It briefly mattered but not to a point where anyone would really notice. Then I think they realised how dumb "Rage Mode" sounded.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The Adrenalin software still has a “Rage” setting for GPU tuning that just puts everything to max and turns your GPU into a loud and power thirsty space heater.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

where the gently caress is the "maxx" branding

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

It briefly mattered but not to a point where anyone would really notice. Then I think they realised how dumb "Rage Mode" sounded.

RAGE MODE was for one-click uncapped power limits

The VRAM addressing feature was Smart Access Memory

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

where the gently caress is the "maxx" branding

that's boeing's turf

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Truga posted:

that's boeing's turf

They’ve been forgetting that extra x too I guess. Figures.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

nitsuga posted:

They’ve been forgetting that extra x too I guess. Figures.

Nah, that's just an optional cost adder.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nvidia's product naming makes me want to pull my hair out, even as someone who follows this pretty closely. Can anyone approximate where an "Nvidia RTX 4000 SFF Ada Generation" stacks up?

Turns out it's a bus-powered half-height 4070-variant (more or less), which is why Hetzner is offering it as their primary cheap GPU server option:

Hetzner always threads the needle on the absolute best bang-for-buck parts, which means that their configs are frequently using CPUs that aren't common options, like the 13500 here.

Edit: If you're looking for more "why", Geforce GPUs are not allowed to be used in datacenters, but the RTX 4000 / 5000 / 6000 series aren't Geforce GPUs but are also much cheaper than the Datacenter-focused L40 / H100 / etc product lines.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 20, 2024

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/quadro-rtx-4000.c3336

It's going to depend on what you're doing with it, but there's a rough relative performance chart on that page.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that's the RTX 4000 (turing) as opposed to the RTX 4000 (ada) that hetzner is using

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/rtx-4000-ada-generation.c4171

yes the naming is dumb

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hetzner is a fascinating look into what happens when you want to build the most barely-functional, exactly-what-it-says-on-the-tin server host with the ultimate in nickel-and-dime philosophy.

I am entirely unsurprised by the baffling set of specifications in that screenshot, as much as I wish I weren't.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hetzner looked at enterprise hardware and said "that's too expensive", and got ASUS to make them consumer AM5 boards with the socket and DIMMs rotated 90 degrees so that airflow is better in rackmount cases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2P8mjWRqpk

Hetzner kicks rear end. They are doing clever shortcuts and passing the savings on to you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Back in the day, Supermicro was "that vendor" but the problem with Supermicro was that you were on the hook for all the shortcuts they made. Goonspeed to a cloud provider taking that on themselves.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So the 4070 Super looks like a decent value for performance right? I've got the budget for it, finally looks like something with the right value proposition for me, and it's actually available at the MSRP. Mostly just checking that there isn't some dumb pitfall with it that I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

PittTheElder posted:

So the 4070 Super looks like a decent value for performance right? I've got the budget for it, finally looks like something with the right value proposition for me, and it's actually available at the MSRP. Mostly just checking that there isn't some dumb pitfall with it that I'm missing.

Nope, while the overall pricing on both sides of the aisle makes those of us who remember The Beforetimes weep (:negative:), the 4070 SUPER is actually not terrible value for the money at this point. The worst you can say about it is that it's still a bit thin on VRAM (the RX 7800XT, for US$100 less, offers 16GB as opposed to the 12 on the 4070 SUPER) but it has very good performance and all the extra Nvidia features. You can't really take it to 4K, but for 1080p it'll be overkill, and for 1440p gaming it'll be a champ.

Content Edit: On a different, amusing note: Starfield, a game that very visibly partnered with AMD at launch, has now picked up support for FSR3, almost six months after its launch and after falling off the face of the Earth.

https://videocardz.com/newz/starfield-now-supports-amd-fsr3-and-intel-xess-no-longer-in-beta

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 20, 2024