Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Jesus christ. Thanks gently caress my only MUST HAVE OR NO DEAL EVER poo poo is a Manual Transmission.

No, not trying to be all :smugdog: just saying that glad I don't have to give a gently caress about poo poo like that on something that may otherwise be the perfect vehicle especially if that something can be obtained in the aftermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Jesus christ. Thanks gently caress my only MUST HAVE OR NO DEAL EVER poo poo is a Manual Transmission.

No, not trying to be all :smugdog: just saying that glad I don't have to give a gently caress about poo poo like that on something that would otherwise be the perfect vehicle

that is my biggest reason i refuse to go EV

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheBacon posted:

The thing I have seen and heard with most of the aftermarket one is it takes 45-60 seconds after ignition for them to actually wirelessly connect. It doesn’t sound like much but I have multiple friends that this really annoys them about their set up and makes them want integrated from manufacturer on next vehicle.

I put one in my wife's LC200 that integrates with the existing center display, touchscreen and all. It just works. Did similar with a Kenwood unit into a 280z for a friend (including a backup camera). Also just works.

You probalby have to spend some money to get one that does rather than buying the first/cheapest thing on amazon.

BFC talk: I just can't fathom this type of thing being a deal breaker for a vehicle, but I suppose if you are choosing a vehicle as an appliance that makes sense. Where even that gets nutty would be rejecting older/less expensive vehicles that would fit your appliance needs because you don't know/can't fathom that this can be installed in anything.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah and you can also buy a brand new car with built-in wireless carplay that is hot loving garbage and fails to connect 80-90% of the time, or decides that you need to accept the terms again for some reason, or decides halfway through a drive to connect to the other phone.

Looking at you, GM. I'm sure their Carplay competitor will be astounding. Astoundingly something other than good.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

wesleywillis posted:

No, not trying to be all :smugdog: just saying that glad I don't have to give a gently caress about poo poo like that on something that may otherwise be the perfect vehicle especially if that something can be obtained in the aftermarket.

I have my manual Accord. I don't need it on every car.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Motronic posted:

BFC talk: I just can't fathom this type of thing being a deal breaker for a vehicle, but I suppose if you are choosing a vehicle as an appliance that makes sense.

I appreciate that some people enjoy driving but I’ve personally never been able to feel like any regular person car is substantively more of a driving experience than any other regular person car.

I have been test driving cars and most vehicles in the same class are basically all the same to me. The extra second Car X takes to get to 60mph from the on-ramp compared to Car Y is meaningless. The “floatiness” of CUV A compared to the feel of CUV B is minuscule.

Maybe it’s because I’m in a metro and the only time I get above 35 is when I’m going on the highway. But I just don’t get it.

I’ve driven off-road vehicles and auto cross vehicles and in those specific environments I could feel and appreciate a difference. But for cars that people are driving for everyday living, it just seems basically the same.

I’ve experienced a big shift in my car buying preferences after doing so much test driving and from learning via the wisdom of the goons ITT. Goons taught me that most of the big automakers are generally equally reliable and test driving has taught me that infotainment and the actual comfort of the front seat are way more important to me than things like 0-60 time.

Thank you for reading, gosh bless and namaste.

I still haven’t purchased a car yet though. Maybe sometime soon!!!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

GD_American posted:

I have my manual Accord. I don't need it on every car.

Same. I’m glad my commute beater has an automatic, actually, as much as I love a stick transmission in a ‘fun’ vehicle, it gets kinda not-fun in traffic behind a boring engine.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The number one thing I like about a manual is the instant response between throttle and wheels. Rowing my own gears and manual clutch control is secondary. Modern premium automatics are good enough about the former that I am willing to trade the enjoyment of the latter for convenience in a daily driver.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Gangringo posted:

The number one thing I like about a manual is the instant response between throttle and wheels. Rowing my own gears and manual clutch control is secondary. Modern premium automatics are good enough about the former that I am willing to trade the enjoyment of the latter for convenience in a daily driver.

yeah, bumping it into Sport+ Mode and running through 8 gears, running higher than normal revs basically gives me a good percentage of the thrill I used to get from slinging around the Miata.

Especially when I remember the goddamned 4 speed I had on my El Camino.

Part of the experience of being middle-aged and buying new cars about once a decade (ish- 2005, then 2018, then 2024) is continually feeling like you're driving some Buck Rogers poo poo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Loan Dusty Road posted:

If you ask, they will let you take it home for 24 hours.
That's even scarier for me. I think my mind has pretty much been made though because...

Motronic posted:

The are the definition of driving appliance. Boring in every way including the good ones (reliability, maintenance).
...yeah I require the excitement of a driving appliance and its gonna be wild having a car that makes my bog standard corolla feel like a gas hog.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I guess everyone has their deal breakers, and for me personally it's lack of dials, stalks and buttons in lieu of all encompassing screen controls. I just watched the review, forgot which car was, but in order to move the direction of the air vents, you have to swipe the screen. Lucid maybe? gently caress you and the likes of you, whoever decided that was a good idea.

Capacitive touch buttons can also die in the same fire.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

TheWevel posted:

Have you looked at volvos? Seems like it's probably the most comparable to Audi.

They are but more $ for fewer [ventilated seats] so not really sold on the Volvo option yet

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

I guess everyone has their deal breakers, and for me personally it's lack of dials, stalks and buttons in lieu of all encompassing screen controls. I just watched the review, forgot which car was, but in order to move the direction of the air vents, you have to swipe the screen. Lucid maybe? gently caress you and the likes of you, whoever decided that was a good idea.

All of these screens and lack of physical control are going to age so poorly. Both in actual usability/reliability/software/repair parts and the growing "this is tacky poo poo" aestetic. I predict we're not too many year away from luxury vehicles toning down the screens, reverting to actual physical gauges with needles (and hyping that as a luxury) and physical switchgear (again, touting that as a luxury).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think that might happen for true luxury vehicles (eg Bentley), but the cost savings and feature add in screens is so compelling that it's basically impossible to resist. They'll just be fancier, higher quality screens, probably with fancier looking and maybe even less poo poo interfaces?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think that might happen for true luxury vehicles (eg Bentley), but the cost savings and feature add in screens is so compelling that it's basically impossible to resist. They'll just be fancier, higher quality screens, probably with fancier looking and maybe even less poo poo interfaces?

I agree, initially. But if the entire history of automotive marketing has taught us anything it's that luxo features trickle down at a largely predictable rate.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nitrox posted:

I also prefer controls that I can understand and control by touch, when operating a dang vehicle that requires my eyes to be at a certain spot!!!

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Ooo I didn’t know you could get aftermarket CarPlay for all these cars that don’t use DIN sizes or have most of the car controls built into the interface. What are the options for these?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Ooo I didn’t know you could get aftermarket CarPlay for all these cars that don’t use DIN sizes or have most of the car controls built into the interface. What are the options for these?

It's very vehicle dependent, but it usually looks like replacement center stack trim plus a double din lookig unit. Crutchfield.com is a great place to plug in your year/make/model and see what they have that will fit. There are definitely other options that they won't have, but its a good starting point.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Loan Dusty Road posted:

I added an aftermarket radio to my 2019 Camry. There was a custom dash piece that I needed, but I did everything else myself. It isn't perfect (the cheap radio sometimes crashes to the main screen, and I have to launch Android Auto) but it's great to jump in the car and just go. I don't charge my phone everywhere I go because I don't have an iPhone, but I did run an additional wire hidden above my center console that plugs into the head unit for long trips.

This absolutely may not work in all cars. I think I like the Audi infotainment system the best of all that I've tried. If money was no object, I'd have a Q7 in my driveway.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
So I'm told that sometimes financing can bring the price of a car down, but I'm a little confused about what circumstances that would be. I've got money to outright buy my next car, but I'm wondering if I'd get better deals by implying that I don't. Still not sure if I'm going to wind up with something new or something lightly used.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Often times manufacturer promotional financing on new cars will be something like e.g. $1000 cash rebate or 0.9% for 5 years. It’s very clearly one or the other so you can do the math about which is better based on the best financing rate you can get otherwise. At least when I bought my last new car we came to the “cash/BYO financing” price and then could apply the manufacturer rebate either way on top of that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Worth emphasizing that promotional financing is almost exclusively on new cars; I'm sure it's happened on CPO too but it's going to be much less common there. It's definitely worth evaluating if you're shopping new against 1-2 year used.

Definitely do a read through of whatever "offers" section a new car manufacturer has, as well. When I bought my only new car (a decade ago now) Honda was actually doing $750 in bonus cash for using their financing, even if you took the discounted 0.9% rate.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sometimes you get a better deal on a used car while negotiating with the dealer, and financing will give you more negotiating leverage because the dealer earns money from that on the back end. You can take a better deal, finance the car, and pay it off as soon as you get the first bill.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

To be clear though, the only way you get any incentive with financing is using the dealer-sourced financing, be it manufacturer promotional or not. If you bring your own financing it’s the same as paying cash to them since they don’t get any origination kick backs.

Come prepared knowing what you can get independently, then run the numbers to see if the dealer can beat it.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 19, 2024

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

one weird trick I used to get a Toyota special incentive financing was to come in having just totaled my brand new Toyota with 2000 miles on it therefore qualifying as a loyal returning customer

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ethanol posted:

one weird trick I used to get a Toyota special incentive financing was to come in having just totaled my brand new Toyota with 2000 miles on it therefore qualifying as a loyal returning customer

drat I hope the insurance company didn't stiff you on the value of it, what did you end up getting from them?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Shipon posted:

drat I hope the insurance company didn't stiff you on the value of it, what did you end up getting from them?

I got back $2k more than I paid for the car actually because I sent the adjuster a bunch of annoying messages about Tacomas being marked up (it was during covid)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ethanol posted:

I got back $2k more than I paid for the car actually because I sent the adjuster a bunch of annoying messages about Tacomas being marked up (it was during covid)

oh drat nice

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Re the Carplay question I was going to ask how it works for cars where the audio system is really fully integrated, like my old 2016 Audi TTS which only has a display behind the steering wheel. So no centre unit that can be pulled and replaced.

But I bothered to look it up and seems you can get that working as well. I am guessing this is going to be increasingly tricky as time goes by and audio gets even more integrated into your car / Neuralink

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Welp my poor 2017 Tacoma was the victim of a hit and run on Friday, just got it looked over today and it's most likely going to be totaled. Waiting for the official word from the insurance company, but the repair bill is $4k more than the KBB value of the truck so I'd have to imagine they're just going to total it.

For those of you that have gone through this before, how close (generally) was the offer from insurance to the blue book value, because they apparently go off of something different? It was in good condition, fairly low mileage, fully paid off and fully insured.

I'm already starting to look at a newer Tacoma, it was the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I had a 2 year old car totalled during the height of the supply weirdness 2 years ago. They gave me more than I paid for it, but I think it was still maybe a grand or two less than blue book at the time due to how crazy prices were.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Testing driving a Honda HR-V tomorrow. What should I keep in mind while driving it? I've never test driven something before.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pixelante posted:

Testing driving a Honda HR-V tomorrow. What should I keep in mind while driving it? I've never test driven something before.
Universal:
Do you like driving it?
Do you understand how the infotainment works and like it?
Will the USB ports work for your family and friend charger situation?
Can you work with the storage set up? Extremely important for a HR-V because it sucks at this. If you carry around anything weird and or important bring it with to try and load it.

New car:
Figure out what options or packages are in your budget and plan to cross shop them to understand what it means to live with or without them

Used car:
If this is your first time test driving you aren't going to be diagnosing mechanical problems, the pre purchase inspection is for that. But you still have a very important job of figuring out the used car foibles and making sure you can live with them before you waste time on mechanical stuff. Do the doors shut weird? Do the windows work? Do the USB ports have dodge contacts ?Does it make a weird sound getting on the highway? If yes, can you live with it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pixelante posted:

https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a15105213/how-to-test-drive-a-car/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I would generally focus on the driving experience while actually driving and the poo poo like storage, infotainment, etc while the vehicle is parked. This seems incredibly basic, but it's easy to forget and get distracted on the test drive by features and nonsense. Also, bring a little check list with you so that you make sure you check all the things you need to. It's easy to forget.

If you have a trustworthy second that is willing to go with you, that's usually a good idea. They'll be more objective and notice things that you won't.

For used cars, checking stuff like tire wear and date codes, matching tires, and things like that are important. A car with new matching rubber is going to save you money, and mismatched tires are often a sign of penny-pinching on other maintenance items.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Pixelante posted:

This is pretty basic, but in addition to what other people have said, check the following:

Does the engine start and run smoothly? Verify there are no warning lights for check engine, low voltage, oil pressure, etc.
Does the transmission do anything weird? Hard or delayed shifts, slipping, etc.
Are there any strange noises from engine, suspension, etc?
Does the car track straight and true or does it pull to one side?
Firmly apply the brakes to make sure they work, and aren't warped.
Does HVAC work, especially cold air conditioning?
Test all accessories--headlights, signals, wipers, power windows, seats, door locks, etc.
If car is used, check underhood for obvious hackery, modifications, or rodent damage.
If car is used, ask if they have documentation of maintenance history (oil changes, etc).

If you find something, never believe an owner or salesperson who tells you "oh it will be an easy fix." If it was easy they would have already fixed it.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 23, 2024

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Random question: How big of a hit does signing a new car lease take on your credit score? And roughly how long does it take making payments before it creeps back up again?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Random question: How big of a hit does signing a new car lease take on your credit score? And roughly how long does it take making payments before it creeps back up again?
Your credit score is affected by inquiries, whether you buy/lease the car or not. If you have multiple inquiries within a short time frame, about 30 days, they will show up as one. So if you started shopping for a loan, go hog wild and throw the widest net you can, it's the same penalty.

I don't know if this applies equally, but my personal credit score dropped 30 points during a shopping phase and then recovered within about 90 days

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Scale of 1-10, how bad an idea is this used 2023 Toyota Camry? It was (briefly?) a rental, but I'm not sure how much wear & tear would come from like 20K miles around New Mexico. The CarFAX looks pretty good, but I know that's not a complete picture.

The real shitter here is that I'm shopping because I am carless, this thing is 100 miles north of me, and according to the sales guy I'd need to jump on it within the next two days for that reasonably good price. Buying without a test drive is absolutely not something I want to do, but I can't get up there before this weekend. He mentioned the dealership "184-point inspection" a few times during our initial chat, but that is Sales Mode talking and I still want a proper PPI. I've got another talk scheduled for tomorrow and a list of questions but I'd really appreciate hive-mind input.

e: alright yeah so that's like a 9 then, good call

redstormpopcorn fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
What's the thread title and why does it not apply to you?