Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

how the gently caress are ppl even getting into the game, let alone getting into the game consistently enough to unlock poo poo
start game up during off hours and wait a long while to actually get in. I have basically mostly played the game after midnight.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

HD has long had a reputation for being punishing and technical. Even middle tier difficulties can be an unrelenting uphill battle with weak weapons and strategems plus a few reinforcement failscades. Initially dropping right away into short range of a Stalker lair for example is always fun :suicide:
It also stands to be said that if their frame of reference is DRG, DRG just isn't hard on any vanilla difficulty. Haz 5 DRG is easy compared to max difficulties in other coop shooters-L4D, vermintide/darktide, payday 2, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Triarii posted:

Maybe I need to be more aware of patrols...when things get rough, it feels like enemies are just spawning and coming at me constantly from all directions without there being any decision of whether to engage, but maybe that's because I made earlier mistakes that let it snowball to that point.

You can run away if you're overwhelmed. Enemies will eventually lose track of you if you break line of sight with them.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Triarii posted:

Also I find it extremely rude when an enemy can casually boop you for 70% of your health with a hitscan ranged attack, on difficulty 3 out of 9. What on earth is the highest difficulty like, is everything just an instant kill?

Imagine a C&C tank rush/SC Ultralisk rush for bots and bugs respectively

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Triarii posted:

Also I find it extremely rude when an enemy can casually boop you for 70% of your health with a hitscan ranged attack, on difficulty 3 out of 9. What on earth is the highest difficulty like, is everything just an instant kill?

You know the but in Saving Private Ryan where Matt Damon is holding onto his helmet in cover screaming? It's like that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Triarii posted:

It's not hitscan, it's a rocket. A fast moving one, granted, but avoidable. Look for the doofus robot aiming at you for like six seconds with a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's a reason you get 20 respawns a mission. The first game had infinite respawns and even more instant kills (they were generally more common than the hits you could even survive)

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

So roughly how long should I expect to wait to get on if I'm trying to play in the evenings in the US? I can do a 15-30 minute wait but if it's a matter of hours to get into the game that's another question

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Typical Pubbie posted:

You can run away if you're overwhelmed. Enemies will eventually lose track of you if you break line of sight with them.

Usually when I'm having trouble, it's when I'm in the vicinity of an objective and trying to clear some space to even figure out what I'm supposed to be doing there (obviously that'll get better with experience) so I kinda want to stick around. And some of these missions have tight time limits so I can't spend too much time tactically retreating and re-engaging.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Triarii posted:

Kind of but you also get a stratagem at level 20 that protects you from one-shots on a short cooldown.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Cognac McCarthy posted:

So roughly how long should I expect to wait to get on if I'm trying to play in the evenings in the US? I can do a 15-30 minute wait but if it's a matter of hours to get into the game that's another question

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but supposedly it's not like waiting in line, but more like waiting for a lottery ticket for entry.

I don't think I've seen this officially stated anywhere. It would explain why the entry experience seems to vary from like 15 minutes for some to hours for others.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Cognac McCarthy posted:

the player count just surged massively over the weekend so its hard to say. last week it was no issue at all especially past like 8 or 9pm EST. I'd guess tomorrow whenever they drop the next patch we'll have a stretch of being not too bad to get in during the week with another big old question mark starting friday night

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Vasudus posted:

It's not hitscan, it's a rocket. A fast moving one, granted, but avoidable. Look for the doofus robot aiming at you for like six seconds with a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher.

There's those guys, but also the at-st walker things can pop you pretty well too (and maybe other enemies, hard to tell what's shooting what when it gets hectic)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still feel bad for the Starship Troopers game lol

It had a lot of good ideas but released way too early, buggy, and incomplete

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Triarii posted:

Usually when I'm having trouble, it's when I'm in the vicinity of an objective and trying to clear some space to even figure out what I'm supposed to be doing there (obviously that'll get better with experience) so I kinda want to stick around. And some of these missions have tight time limits so I can't spend too much time tactically retreating and re-engaging.

Are you playing with a team? Solo is always going to be a bad time on anything harder than normal. Normal can get hairy solo.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Currently stuck at work, wishing i was liberating the galaxy for super earth.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

sushibandit posted:

Sounds like it's about time to break out the old "move around and chat a random word or two every few minutes" AHK script. Have been just logging in at the end of lunch and leaving it tabbed out so I can actually play the drat game after work, but if their short-term bandaid is autokick instead of spinning up more/better servers, everything is fair game.

It isn't as simple as "Add more servers!"

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

JBP posted:

Are you playing with a team? Solo is always going to be a bad time on anything harder than normal. Normal can get hairy solo.

I spent a bunch of time trying to get into games with friends only to have it drop me halfway through every mission so I said gently caress it and played solo for a while.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Icedude posted:

I'm kinda disappointed they made the automatons actually evil with cages full of dead civvies and stuff. They could have made them "scary looking, but actually just want to be left alone", but nope they're nazi robots being even worse than your fascist humans.

They're fighting to free their Cyborg creators from the first game who've been enslaved by Super Earth to work in the mines. I'm pretty sure it's a "you've committed these atrocities, so we're justified in committing them on you in turn."

AKA it's still Super Earth's fault for pushing them that far.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It isn't as simple as "Add more servers!"

This is kinda what I was thinking was going on. If it was simply that they needed to add more servers they'd have done it within a day. I'm guessing it's one of those things where like 90% of what they need scales horizontally just fine, but the other 10% can only scale vertically and they already maxed that out. Rewriting that last 10% is probably gonna suck.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

can't believe they haven't just cranked up the giant "more server" dial that linearly eats money and spits out server capacity, devs please

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

skaianDestiny posted:

They're fighting to free their Cyborg creators from the first game who've been enslaved by Super Earth to work in the mines. I'm pretty sure it's a "you've committed these atrocities, so we're justified in committing them on you in turn."

AKA it's still Super Earth's fault for pushing them that far.

It's like the Matrix stuff where the machines seem really bad and then you find out WHY the machines did this and it's suddenly a different story.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

just lazy, honestly. you'd think with all this money they could just buy more servers. back to my ahk script.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

wilderthanmild posted:

I like that this futuristic human civilization runs their advanced weaponry via konami codes.

everybody knows the konami code so it makes perfect sense

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

much respek to the absolute kings at Arrowhead, please do not destroy yourselves with crunch ty

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

As someone that works on campaigns I would absolutely want to be busting my nuts and getting no sleep given the kind of success they're having. Which is kind of the difference to my mind. Sometimes you have to crunch because something has hosed up or you just don't have the manpower.

It's a good feeling to crunch when something is great and working out. It's a bad feeling to crunch out loot box rewards or whatever a good opposite of this is. It's also time limited here. They will get it fixed and they're hiring more people. Hope they're in for big OT and bonuses.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

oh gently caress me, i forgot to click the deploy better servers button. i accidentally pressed the deploy lovely servers button. always the monday morning details, ugh.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So yesterday I would just get stuck in endless cycles of login failure but tonight I just get a black screen with nothing... not even the intro movie. Is this the normal failure mode or is this something different?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So yesterday I would just get stuck in endless cycles of login failure but tonight I just get a black screen with nothing... not even the intro movie. Is this the normal failure mode or is this something different?

Normal. It was happening to me during US peak on the weekend.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I don’t get it my little man goes onto a server and a computer fills the server with robots or bugs. If more people want to play just buy more servers for their little men.

You have to have more bugs and robots too but those are free they are just computer code so that costs nothing.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

JBP posted:

Well poo poo, I guess democracy will have to wait until another night.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

When hitting this black screen, is it worth waiting at all there or just restart?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

JBP posted:

I feel like I've been going too hard on this game. I've basically unlocked all the stratagems thanks to the 50% bonus plus playing on suicide.

Last night I logged in and I had this weird fear that I wouldn't enjoy the game as much or I'd overdone it. I went on to have some of the most fun I've had in a game since BF2/3 and L4D in uni. Most of my old crew has coalesced around the game now and we're having the best time. Feels like it's 2008 again.

One of the randos that friended me @ launch is level 50 already :stare: Haven't seen anyone else over lvl 30ish I don't think.

Kwolok posted:

Anyone experiencing crazy low framerates? For a while I was getting a nice healthy 90+fps but after finally getting into the game today I am down to 10-15 fps and I have no idea why...

This happened to me the other day and i just restarted. That was before all the server bs tho, so....

IMO for any of you dudes just trying to start the game now/this past weekend, you're honestly just better off just waiting like a week and then trying again. Can't imagine how frustrating it is right now with nothing unlocked and basically no matchmaking. You're gonna have a poo poo time.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Start up the game in the morning and just leave that poo poo running

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

wilderthanmild posted:

When hitting this black screen, is it worth waiting at all there or just restart?

I would just restart. It happened a few times then it would let me queue. This sounds extremely fish wifey but you should also let the intro cinematic play all the way through. Viewing is mandatory and as such it seems to boost your odds of getting in lol.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

IMO for any of you dudes just trying to start the game now/this past weekend, you're honestly just better off just waiting like a week and then trying again. Can't imagine how frustrating it is right now with nothing unlocked and basically no matchmaking. You're gonna have a poo poo time.

I always have a poo poo time cuz my aim's bad and I suck at videogames. Gotta go down swinging for Super Earth though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Are the other ships in orbit an estimation of other players on the planet? It's a neat little touch of the scale of the war.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Triarii posted:

The difficulty in this game isn't like the typical artificial scaling you'll see in other shooters.
Enemies don't get more health, you don't take more damage, they don't aim better. None of them have hitscan weapons (neither do you *aside from the railgun).

Instead, on high difficulty you get:
1) More big enemies, up to and including bile titans/tanks, hulks/chargers.
2) Bigger patrols, and patrols with heavier enemies included in them, more enemies lurking around points of interest.
3) More responsive 'alerts' - every time a flare goes up, or a bug poops pheromones, the overall aggression increases - this means that what gets dropped off gets progressively more difficult.
This is the big one that really changes how punishing the game feels: Where you might get a single dropship with some light bots at low level, at high level you'll get 2 or even 3 dropships, one of which carries in a tank. With the bugs you go from a few lights and mediums to a Bile Titan crawling out of the dirt.

At high level there is a huge incentive to be quick and decisive when you are assaulting enemy positions. Taking out commisars ASAP so they cannot flare, or just murdering bugs/bug holes as quickly as possible.
It's not only viable but ENCOURAGED to just hit the fuckin' bricks and run if you are getting bogged down. The only time you NEED to dig in is if you are doing an objective in the area, and even then it is possible that things get too hot: in that case, you can fall back, circle around your objective and wait for the enemies chasing you to lose track - then go in for another try. Running away is GOOD, especially versus the Bugs - you can run away from 90% of your problems and just ignore them.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
On higher difficulties it does have that MGS5/Death Stranding sorta feel now that you mention it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

blastron posted:

I genuinely hope that the auto-kick requires actually running missions instead of just wiggling your character around.

This. I haven’t been able to get in for four days and seeing posts like “ :v: I just left my PC/PS5 on and I’ve been fine!!!!” is honestly dumb as poo poo and would make me mad if I got real mad at games anymore

It’s more just expected that people kinda suck and acceptance of said shitters

Internet Explorer posted:

just lazy, honestly. you'd think with all this money they could just buy more servers. back to my ahk script.

Internet Explorer posted:

oh gently caress me, i forgot to click the deploy better servers button. i accidentally pressed the deploy lovely servers button. always the monday morning details, ugh.

IE gets it

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
You should need to at least be doing stuff in your inventory menus or something.

One rando on my steam friends list has been "on" all weekend and has like 70 hours in game according to steam. Every time I checked they are "on ship" in a 1 person party, never in mission.

The AFK thing is a hell of a feedback loop. It's hard to login, so people don't want to log out even when they are done playing, so it's harder to log in, so even more people have trouble and decide to AFK.