Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
its always gamers who say "can i jump into the series at x point" totally oblivious to the fact the people who are able to answer their question are the one who jumped in at the starting point and will automatically have their opinions coloured

I mean i guess there might be people out there saying "can i jump straight into Bottom or do I have to watch Morcambe and Wise and Monty Python first" to use British comedy as an example but I don't hear them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yakuza players are pretty open about what order to play things in or will even recommend ones that can be skipped if you're interested more in a particular character or style. I think you can tell if the games are for you by playing any one of them, going back to play in order is usually just the logical thing to do once you've gotten hooked.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I wonder if anyone has ever asked the question "can I watch Jaws: The Revenge without seeing the first 2?"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its always gamers who say "can i jump into the series at x point" totally oblivious to the fact the people who are able to answer their question are the one who jumped in at the starting point and will automatically have their opinions coloured

I mean i guess there might be people out there saying "can i jump straight into Bottom or do I have to watch Morcambe and Wise and Monty Python first" to use British comedy as an example but I don't hear them

If you start at Bottom, you can only go up. We'll, unless there is something even more base than Bottom that I don't know about.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The bottom falls out and you're in the f2p version of the franchise.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Danganronpa is not only a series where you have to start at the first game and then play the second game, but then there's a prequel Japanese only light novel that got a fan translation you have to read, a 3rd person shooter, and the proper ending to the story arc isn't even a game but two anime series named Danganronpa 3 (not to be confused with V3 which which you're supposed to play after) which you're not supposed to watch in a linear orders but repeatedly alternating orders.

It is only once you have done all that and THEN played V3 that you may safely google character names or read fandom articles without getting immediate huge spoilers, and also you may then play the awful Danganronpa S: Ultimate Summer Camp which the creator of the series directly warned you about in V3.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

the solution is to not give a poo poo about danganronpa, i presume

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
yeah you don't have to play any danganronpa

and all Yakiza games are the same so just play one and you're good. don't even gotta finish it.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Thinking about it now most visual novels or visual novel adjacent game sequels I've played kinda operate under the assumption you've gone through the previous ones. V3 was actually technically supposed to be an entryway for people new to the series, but like I said before, the creator pretty much tells you directly in that to stop playing Danganronpa games.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Alternatively: just play the three good Danganronpa games and ignore everything else in the universe

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

u can jump in to any kingdom hearts game and just skip any non disney scenes. they wont make sense even if you played the others in order

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
U can skip any (of the 13) kingdom hearts games

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I skipped all of them

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

I skipped all of them

13 jrps missing from the fridge checklist

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

13 jrps missing from the fridge checklist

There's a lot of bad games out there you've really got to be careful

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

u can jump in to any kingdom hearts game and just skip any non disney scenes. they wont make sense even if you played the others in order

u cant skip scenes in kingdom hearts if you play on the ps2

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You can skip Prelude to Pestilence before playing Griloch's Revenge, but you'd be missing some context.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I, an adult, love to play a video game starring donald duck, so of course I would play 13 of them

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

To get into Final Fantasy you need to start at the first one and play them in order. Yes this includes the MMOs.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I, an adult, love to play a video game starring donald duck, so of course I would play 13 of them

Dunno what to tell you bro, ducktales owned

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If you haven't played Street Fighter 1 - 5 you'll have no idea what you're doing in 6

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can skip the first 2,015 Dooms

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And let's not get started on how many Marathon games you can skip

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
But what about Mario?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

But what about Mario?

Very obscure, little known fact: Super Mario Bros 2 is actually a reskin of an unrelated game called Doki Doki Panic, so it can be skipped. You gotta play Lost Levels, though.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Space Kablooey posted:

the solution is to not give a poo poo about danganronpa, i presume

I always confuse this game with Parapa the Rapper and wonder how it spawned so many sequels

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

But what about Mario?

they call it Super Mario Brothers 3 because that's how many times you punch yourself trying to forget how bad it is

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

quack shot b*tch

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Sapozhnik posted:

If instalment #7 of a video game series comes out then it is okay not to play instalments #1-6 first.

Related: if #7 is the breakout release in this long running series then the previous instalments were probably niche and unpopular for a reason.

Is this an unpopular opinion?

Personally, I have to play games in order. Stand-alone things like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, say, maybe not, although there is value in playing the ones that came before. Everyone I know thinks I'm the weird one for my mandatory chronological experience. Something like Quake, where each title is almost entirely separate from the other, I still play in order because I'm experiencing the evolution.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
sorry but if you skip quake 1 you are a total bitch

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can skip the first 2,015 Dooms

I mean, you could just play any of them, but why would you skip the original? That games a classic, and with good reason.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Quake 1 is really good but if you completed the first episode then you can just drop it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I showed Doom (1993) to a 12 year old family friend and they bought it on their own steam the next day.

Restored my faith a bit in these dark times :sniff:

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

It’s a classic example of why people don’t like gamers when I bring up that return of the Obra Dinn is cool and fun and a bunch of dorks well akshually about it

It’s ok for you like different things you don’t need to true Scotsman gaming my friends it’s the same subset of “gamers” who complain about women streamers

Cassette Moodcore fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 20, 2024

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

George posted:

and all Yakiza games are the same so just play one and you're good. don't even gotta finish it.

this is the most truth that has ever been posted in this thread

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cassette Moodcore posted:

It’s a classic example of why people don’t like gamers when I bring up that return of the Obra Dinn is cool and fun and a bunch of dorks well akshually about it

It’s ok for you like different things you don’t need to true Scotsman gaming my friends it’s the same subset of “gamers” who complain about women streamers

Have you considered not putting your hand on the hot stovetop? Maybe when you can be trusted to not burn your hand you'll be allowed to have opinions.

I like that Obra Dinn exists but I also have .1hr gameplay playing it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Cassette Moodcore posted:

I have no idea what Scotsman gaming is, and I have no idea where women streamers came into this conversation, lol

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
You can start Might and Magic at 6 or 7 but World of Xeen is really good if you can handle how old it is. You dont need to start at 1

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I have no idea what Scotsman gaming is, and I have no idea where women streamers came into this conversation, lol

"No true scotsman would...(tm)"
They're accusing people of gatekeeping with the same mentality as people who get upset that women share their hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you must know all the names of all the internet argument fallacies or you are not a true scotsman, watch out i'm gatekeeping and also i'm strawmanning or whatever. Honestly once you get started it really is a slippery slope.