Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Instead of watching the season, you can get Fritz Lang’s M, which I believe is also on Max. It’s under two hours and it’s one of the first procedural dramas, showing little but the rigors of policing, and the effect crime has on a beleaguered community, and shows Weimar Germany on the brink.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
the cleaning lady out-detectives the gently caress out of jodie foster btw, she understood everything just by noticing where the soap went, meanwhile dumb danvers missed a whole hatch

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Who plugged the defective DVD player back in? Was that ghosts too, or did Prior decide he wanted some more Twist and Shout after Danvers left the first time?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

General Dog posted:

Who plugged the defective DVD player back in? Was that ghosts too, or did Prior decide he wanted some more Twist and Shout after Danvers left the first time?

the ghosts, while whispering "evangeliiiiiine"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

sethsez posted:

Yeah, it's a GoT S8 thing where the broad strokes are fine and I can easily see it working out, but the final execution's pacing is so terrible and tonally inconsistent that none of it feels earned.

woah woah woah, this was way better than GoT's finale. Even the broad strokes there were insulting. This show, eh as it may be, didn't retroactively ruin something great. Attack On Titan is the only show I've seen since that reached level of crash and burning in the final act.

Would have been fun to see a scene of Clark trying to get the ghost noise out of his head by fixing the dang dvd player and giving up.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

General Dog posted:

It was the polar bear

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
how come they had region 2 dvds

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

I also like how Issa Lopez herself defined Night Country as a "female-forward" story but then proceeded to make the two protagonists as impulsive, irrational and violent as their male counterparts, while writing both roles exactly the way you'd write male roles. If you replaced the 2 female leads with 2 male leads and junior prior with a woman you'd have the same story.

Every showrunner like Lopez should watch Happy Valley to learn how you write women leads in tv shows because holy poo poo this is not it.

OptionalPirate
Aug 31, 2008
Imagine if Murder on the Orient Express came out now.

EDIT: Poirot is so irrational! Unrealistic.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I really wonder if the True Detectives (internal affairs) who showed up at the end were meant to be a season long framing device.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Why did Navarro have the bleeding ears after she freaked out in the warehouse/factory place. Did she also run into the Ithaqua or whatever vague lovecraftian entity was hinted at this time? I don't think it's ever mentioned again.

OptionalPirate posted:

At least he solved the murder.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kawabata posted:

I also like how Issa Lopez herself defined Night Country as a "female-forward" story but then proceeded to make the two protagonists as impulsive, irrational and violent as their male counterparts, while writing both roles exactly the way you'd write male roles. If you replaced the 2 female leads with 2 male leads and junior prior with a woman you'd have the same story.

Every showrunner like Lopez should watch Happy Valley to learn how you write women leads in tv shows because holy poo poo this is not it.

I was okay with writing Danvers and Navarro the same as a male counterpart. They just should have leaned into their character faults harder and actually tested them instead of having things work out honky dory constantly. Kind of an insult to portray Danvers as the good person at the end during her exit closing statements.

The men did all take the short end of the stick this season though. Pete was a pushover, Hank was corrupt/pathetic loser, Qavvik was a pushover, the scientists were all craven cowards when the vigilante group showed up, Navarro beats everyone up.

It didn't seem so much Issa Lopez hate's all men as it does Issa Lopez hates giving characters nuance.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kawabata posted:

the cleaning lady out-detectives the gently caress out of jodie foster btw, she understood everything just by noticing where the soap went, meanwhile dumb danvers missed a whole hatch

She didn’t ask the right questions!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

OK so if I have it all correct, the ghost that causes bleeding ears and terrifying visions and rolls oranges and hubcaps at you is the bad ghost. It ate the dreams of the scientists who killed her. Later it possesses the sole survivor of those scientists in order to cruelly taunt the one cop who actually cares about catching her killers.

The ghost that also makes your ears bleed but just wants to tell you your secret native name is the good ghost. Unfortunately both the good and the bad ghosts both have the exact same MO of tempting you out onto the ice by whispering your name in a creepy voice.

The ghost that appears as a polar bear is probably the bad ghost but it doesn't really do anything so we can't be sure. Maybe the ghosts are all getting their wires crossed by the flat circle or the spiral dinosaur or the literal panacea that's easier to study after being bathed in toxic waste

E: Oh I forgot, there's also the ghost of Rust's dad who does the Matrix bullet time dodge to tell his girlfriend where the victims of the bad ghost are. So I guess he's another good ghost but also kind of a narc

Wachter fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 20, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kawabata posted:

Season 1 does a far better job with gender themes than this one and that's very funny

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

HootTheOwl posted:

Story over, and this season was a mess.
I didn't hate it like so many of you, but it was my least favorite season.
I'm catching up with the thread today and when I saw this, it made me think. Did I actively hate this season? The more I think about it, no, I didn't actually hate it. I don't feel like I need to argue with anybody about it, I don't really care if other people love it or hate it. But I did find a lot of things bad, dumb, and mockable. So really, it wasn't a hate-watch, it was a mock-watch. I don't cherish the True Detective name in a way that makes me want a specific thing out of this series (like I would with Star Trek) so I don't actively hate the fact that this was a bad show and I really did enjoy how much there is to gawk at. It was a car crash show, I couldn't stop watching, and now I'm at the end making fun of how bad it was.

Plus the acting was really good and I like Jodie Foster.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Everything it seems a ghost did was actually done by the cleaning lady mafia. Except for the polar bear who is actually Danver's kids ghost trying to cause traffic accidents as revenge for his death.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

my bony fealty posted:

Season 1 does a far better job with gender themes than this one and that's very funny

Yep. The family drama worked very well in the first season too.

But that was 2014. There was more courage in doing whatever you wanted to do, we live in very different times now. I'm all for inclusivity in Hollywood/TV when it doesn't make the poo poo I'm watching preachy as gently caress (even when I agree with what's preaching, I feel it's a dumb thing to do) and when it doesn't become tokenism just for the sake of it. Lopez got a bit overboard with the "men are dumb or violent or handsome angels waiting for the hero woman to come back home" tropes that we've been seeing all over tv for the past 3 years or so.

And yeah this last episode felt like a feminist's wet dream at times. Just very silly stuff.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I've caught up wit the thread and all I really have to add is that if you wanted a female-forward, single season of modern television to watch, watch Fargo Season 5 instead.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I hope (is that loving) Stacy Chalmers is doing good and got her poo poo together :shobon:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kawabata posted:

But that was 2014. There was more courage in doing whatever you wanted to do, we live in very different times now. I'm all for inclusivity in Hollywood/TV when it doesn't make the poo poo I'm watching preachy as gently caress (even when I agree with what's preaching, I feel it's a dumb thing to do) and when it doesn't become tokenism just for the sake of it. Lopez got a bit overboard with the "men are dumb or violent or handsome angels waiting for the hero woman to come back home" tropes that we've been seeing all over tv for the past 3 years or so.

And yeah this last episode felt like a feminist's wet dream at times. Just very silly stuff.

It did really feel like they started with "What if a bunch of oppressed middle aged indigenous ladies had a super badass scene where they violently murder some pudgy white nerd men, but like, it's good murder and everyone cheers" and worked their way backwards from there.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Kawabata posted:

Kawabata posted:

it just occurred to me that your next first lady is going to be a no class slutty looking gold digger mail order bride

has this been addressed in the thread?

i feel it might be important

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kawabata posted:

"Why is it that even when telling the stories of women, conflict is centered round the white male struggle?"

did the loving retard who wrote the article even watch the movie in its entirety

Right.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DaveKap posted:

I'm catching up with the thread today and when I saw this, it made me think. Did I actively hate this season? The more I think about it, no, I didn't actually hate it. I don't feel like I need to argue with anybody about it, I don't really care if other people love it or hate it. But I did find a lot of things bad, dumb, and mockable. So really, it wasn't a hate-watch, it was a mock-watch. I don't cherish the True Detective name in a way that makes me want a specific thing out of this series (like I would with Star Trek) so I don't actively hate the fact that this was a bad show and I really did enjoy how much there is to gawk at. It was a car crash show, I couldn't stop watching, and now I'm at the end making fun of how bad it was.

Plus the acting was really good and I like Jodie Foster.

I went back and checked your posts because I remembered you in particular being pissed off and I think it was just you mad about them not having a suicide hotline card because your tone went from "gently caress this" to "I don't like this" the moment another goon pointed it out to you

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

I went back and checked your posts because I remembered you in particular being pissed off and I think it was just you mad about them not having a suicide hotline card because your tone went from "gently caress this" to "I don't like this" the moment another goon pointed it out to you
Yeah, when I get corrected, I admit my mistake and move on. Thanks for being the real True Detective on my posting history because my moods and whims actually change from day to day. Hell, they can change by the hour.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Several weeks ago I was thinking this show should have had a lot more throat singing and way less Twist and Shout

Using a single throat singing track in the finale...... idk

what a disappointment

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

OptionalPirate posted:

No, the big difference there is that THAT mystery was written well.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You're quoting drunk/high posting from 8 years ago (!) I was rightly probated for. The worst looking one was in the aftermath of the Trump's election, in a thread where the anger was through the roof and way worse stuff was written about Melania Trump, Trump, or convervative voters/goons itt and a bunch of people were banned or probated along with me.

What's your point? This season finale is a feminist's wet dream, male characters in this tv show are badly written. There, wrote it again, quote me 8 years from now.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Kawabata posted:

There's like a hundred lazy bad writing things about this season you could be mad about instead but you're gonna be the dude angry posting about how woke feminists ruined the bad detective TV show.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
Oh come the gently caress on lmao

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

wolfs posted:

Using a single throat singing track in the finale...... idk
what a disappointment

All singing is throat singing, where do you think the air comes from

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

TV Science Man: "No, you see detective, the pollution only makes our science STRONGER. We did it for science."

Normal People: "Haha that's so dumb, this show is dumb."

The enlightened goon poster, weeping through clenched teeth: "God drat feminists did this..."

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I thought it was alright. Good to see the Ennis Mafia always get their men.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
Those drat woke leftist feminists didn’t add a wendigo at the end

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

mrmcd posted:

There's like a hundred lazy bad writing things about this season you could be mad about instead but you're gonna be the dude angry posting about how woke feminists ruined the bad detective TV show.

I mean you're not wrong, the show was terrible even without the cheap feminism, but the cleaning ladies killer crew and the archetype men in the story did tip the show into the "so bad it's good now" category.

Again, I think there's a lot of great stuff to watch (Happy Valley or Promising Young Woman right off the top of my head) if you want something where feminist values are presented maturely and women and men aren't written like cardboard cutouts. If you want to discuss important themes in a piece of media you should do it well or not at all imo. She right out said she wanted to do a "female-forward" show, she did it badly, it added to all the other issues Night Country had in the first place.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

How about how all the community organizing and protesting and vigilante justice from the indigenous people didn't accomplish anything and instead it took our heroes torturing a confession out of the bad guy to close the mine and save the town

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

my bony fealty posted:

How about how all the community organizing and protesting and vigilante justice from the indigenous people didn't accomplish anything and instead it took our heroes torturing a confession out of the bad guy to close the mine and save the town

Yeah that felt like a "gently caress yeah" moment from a 90s tv show.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Reflecting on this masterpiece which will in time be regarded as well as the Sopranos or a Wire, I'm wondering how they filled up that pool for the water birthing scene.

I recall it looking murky af, and didn't notice a huge pile of empty water bottles when she was walking in, I'd bet it was a garden hose from a tap.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think it's kind of lovely to quote someone's 8 year old posts as a gotcha to insinuate they are being dishonest with their criticism and are actually bigoted pieces of poo poo just lashing out at anything resembling feminism. People are allowed to change and grow- poo poo, I know I'm a lot better on most issues than I was 8 years ago. Show a little grace IMO

I don't think the criticism is against feminism, I think most of it stems from piss poor execution and writing. The idea of an indigenous vigilante group of women killing the killers is a very good one, and it's a twist that few if anyone saw coming. But that's mostly because the season was so muddled and frankly contained a bunch of ridiculous poo poo that ended up amounting to nothing. Looking back at the TD S1 thread, several people guessed the killer as soon as they came on screen early in the season, but that didn't detract from it and there wasn't a need to bury a twist in a bunch of plot threads that didn't go anywhere. Having the cleaning ladies be the culprits could have worked extremely well with a season of tv that supported that idea along the way instead of throwing ghosts and lovely CG polar bears at the audience as essentially distractions.

The omnipresent need for a shocking / surprising reveal claims yet another victim. It very much seems like the idea of the women killing the scientists was the original / foundational idea of the season and everything worked backwards from that. The S1 references, the opening scene with the caribou, the ghost visions, the spooky camper, all of those feel very tacked on instead of being written into the fabric of the story.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao remembering the scene of fat old women slowly assembling

incredible finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

Idk about all that but im a certified woke feminist (got the checks from soros to prove it) and this show was definitely not my wet dream. That’s a pretty dumb thing to say tbqh.

Speaking of saying dumb things, i forgot the timeline with wheeler - was the baby crying after the shot supposed to be Leah? I was so let down by the central mystery that i instead more invested in danvers’ family dynamics and how/when she ended up adopting Leah.