Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I thought this meant it was back up :sassargh:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I was able to play a little bit last night but today have gotten nothing but black screens. Also noticing that my friends list of those playing is much smaller.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Leal posted:

*looks at the black screen*

I... can't do my part :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQFQCS-BeRk

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Maybe more Playstation players managed to get in than Steam players by luck. Or, equally likely, some people probably said "gently caress it" early since the weekend is over. I know some of my friends said they're going to lay off for a week or two to see how things progress.

I do wonder if there'll be a pretty severe drop off that they just never recover from (and by recover, I mean they hover around like 50-100k players versus the number trying to play now). Not to say there's extreme overlap or anything, but for the PS5 contingent you've got Rebirth out in a week and I straight up won't be playing pretty much anything else for at least a month, which I'm sure is probably true for some other people here too.

I've easily gotten my $40 worth of entertainment and then some, but matchmaking still just straight up not working correctly (or at all, such as right now) sucks rear end and I don't want to feel obligated to go on Discord to find people to play with manually. A lot of other people may feel the same way and just peace out for a while. The dev team is trying their best and I know it's not an instant fix but whatever they're doing just doesn't seem to be working well enough. This ignores stuff like armor not working.

I wouldn't say I'm exactly burnt out already, but when the actual experience continues to be anything but smooth, it's easy to eventually say that I had my fun and to move on. The harder difficulties get kinda brutal and the redundancy of missions has already crept in a bit being at level 21, so when I can't get in and out and succeed (or at least fail and try again quickly), it's less enjoyable, if that makes any sense.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

How's the incendiary shotgun in the premium battle pass? I like the explosive AR so far but am slowly saving up for other options

Hot garbage.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
No more black screen now at least.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Infidelicious posted:

Hot garbage.

It's cool, it's just not as good as the regular breaker, which is easily the best primary in the game :shrug:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmPElekhWrU

Hoping that 'extra padding' won't just be a joke.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

C'mon Arrowhead, fixing the servers can't be THAT hard!

Ted Stevens was Right

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

triple sulk posted:

I do wonder if there'll be a pretty severe drop off that they just never recover from (and by recover, I mean they hover around like 50-100k players versus the number trying to play now). Not to say there's extreme overlap or anything, but for the PS5 contingent you've got Rebirth out in a week and I straight up won't be playing pretty much anything else for at least a month, which I'm sure is probably true for some other people here too.

pc players have finally pwned console noobs.

only 40k slots for second class super citizens :smugdon:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Game was working fine tonight on PS5. I’ve become a fan of the auto cannon. Reloads faster than I was expecting for something with that much firepower.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Black screen is gone and I got in after a minute or two. Democracy restored.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
managed to get in and play a quick mission with some friends, absolutely decimated some bile titans with orbital lasers and got away with a good haul of samples

gently caress this game is good when it works

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Lmao finally got into a game with some randos. First was a really smooth operation led by a level 15 on easy. He bounces after that though so me and the other level 3 cadet decide to go into our first medium match just the two of us. Goes ok for about 5 minutes and then it devolved into us alternating sprinting for our lives, throwing reinforcement orbs and dodging chaotically just to keep the game alive. Ultimately one of us managed to make it into the extraction.

I was cackling the whole time as my British rando friend was yelling “THIS IS MEDIUM!?!?” sprinting away from the overwhelming horde.

It was hilarious. Haven’t laughed like that playing a game in a long time

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Homeless Friend posted:

pc players have finally pwned console noobs.

only 40k slots for second class super citizens :smugdon:

For what it's worth, this would include people stuck at login queues and black screens since steam counts anybody running the game as active. The devs supposedly claimed it was close-ish to 1:1 between PC and PS5.

I really hope that the patch stuff tomorrow works at least to a "good enough" extent. Like I can tolerate 10-20 minutes waiting if it actually works and gets better later. I also hope that we get some funny drama when people AFKing get mad about not being able to basically permanently reserve a spot now.

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
no problem getting in on ps5 tonight. unlocked the orbital rail cannon and popping chargers with it felt god-like. been playing on challenging since that's ok to solo or duo if matchmaking is broken. ended up in a 4-man with a bunch of rookies and it was great to obliterate a charger with it while they were all plinking away with assault rifles or whatever. also only managed to blow myself up once forgetting I had the grenade launcher up instead of the breaker.

game loving rules

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hobbez posted:

Lmao finally got into a game with some randos. First was a really smooth operation led by a level 15 on easy. He bounces after that though so me and the other level 3 cadet decide to go into our first medium match just the two of us. Goes ok for about 5 minutes and then it devolved into us alternating sprinting for our lives, throwing reinforcement orbs and dodging chaotically just to keep the game alive. Ultimately one of us managed to make it into the extraction.

I was cackling the whole time as my British rando friend was yelling “THIS IS MEDIUM!?!?” sprinting away from the overwhelming horde.

It was hilarious. Haven’t laughed like that playing a game in a long time

How are people finding randoms to play with?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

JosefStalinator posted:

I my case earlier today I was just playing solo and randoms started showing up in my game since I never set it private.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

JosefStalinator posted:

I’m on PS5. I have no fuckin idea tbh. I did hit quick play and suddenly just a bunch of dudes were running around my ship

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I agree with the ship exterior personalization requests. The SES Arbiter of Family Values demands it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The core gameplay of this game is so fantastic, 5/5 dongs I cannot recommend it enough. It's worth those black screens, and arbitrary loading queues.

Dropping into a newbies game on random and going full Arnold predator on the bugs is just hilarious. Turning around missions for people in random queue is probably my favourite thing to do in this game. Full on action movie vibes.

But those bots, ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff man they are rough.

fake edit: to quickly level to 20, Do bugs/bots 4/5 exterminate missions (10-15m ones) and just camp the center while the mortars do everything. If they spawn chargers or hulks just use strategems on them but keep them away from your mortar cluster. Missions are 3-5 minutes, plus 60s for loading screens.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 20, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

for bots, marksman rifle rules if you can pop heads

before engaging any bot camp, look around for the bot commander dorks, they're one blade arm, one gun arm, and they fire the flares - kill them first

if you're running in an organized group, have everyone run the stealth/30% less detection range armor, it helps immensely against bots (good against bugs too, just really good against bots)

you can blow up tanks or cannon towers with just a few impact grenades to the rear end exhaust

shoot off the arms of hulks and the rocket shoulder pods of rocket devastators

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

jokes posted:

People who take video games seriously and only use things that are strictly better than other things are the reason video games loving suck nowadays. This game, thankfully, has a bunch of variations of each thing that are all roughly as good as each other but are usually more situationally better so just do whatever and you'll be fine. Who gives a poo poo that the laser cannon and autocannon are stronger than the flamethrower, the flamethrower is cool and strong in some situations.

People give a poo poo because the game gets gradually harder and so people in turn are incentivized to use the good but less fun weapons. This doesn’t take a lot of brain power to figure out.

If you, as a developer want people to pick the whacky fun options then you need to make them not suck. People respond to incentive structures and game balance is a powerful incentive structure.

There are unfortunately a ton of terrible weapons in Helldivers so there aren’t as many “real” choices as there first appear.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I would love a drone that I could swap my primary gun with. It would be great to take one that has the Lib Penetrator and swap it out for the Breaker or something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Suicide against bugs is actually pretty easy with one full upgrade on the ship and four people. Everyone knows the strategy and it never goes to poo poo completely. Two 500kg bombs really reduces the threat of bile titans, as does 3 x 110s and bombing runs.

Robots can always go to poo poo and is much more fun imo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I would like the heavy weapons that aren't the railgun, autocannon, and grenade launcher to be worth using outside of Looking Cool, actually.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

toasterwarrior posted:

I would like the heavy weapons that aren't the railgun, autocannon, and grenade launcher to be worth using outside of Looking Cool, actually.

EATs are fantastic

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah they're great, but mentally I file them under like, offensive stratagems because they're disposable and cooldown quickly.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The stratagem laser cannon should absolutely not bounce off armor like a wet pool noodle.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

toasterwarrior posted:

Yea I would love it if the electrogun was viable

Uh btw had anyone else noticed that all the volume options go to 11? :monocle:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The electro gun fuckin rules and also has unlimited ammo.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I played a couple runs with goons and it was my first time doing that ever in a game. Had fun blowing up robots with my new recoilless rifle 10/10 would explode robots with goons again

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Same, but with goons and termanids. I also just learned that the Eagle isn't just 4 launches per mission. They can refuel and reload.

Wanna drop bombs on bugs and myself. For democracy!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Finally unlocked the scythe laser rifle and I'm a big fan of it tbh. It works well against the bugs and effectively has unlimited ammo, but reloads super fast in a pinch if you're getting swarmed.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i got tongued to death :gonk:

hit rank 10 thanks to some friendly goons this evening and feels like my loadout is filling out. made the early mistake of blowing 4k req on the basic mg turret so i've been a bit behind on the other fun stuff but now i've got a couple eagle strikes, my trusty grenade launcher, and the :swoon:Breaker:swoon:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fajita Queen posted:

The electro gun fuckin rules and also has unlimited ammo.

Arc Thrower is very good when it works. Its targeting is extremely fucky wucky to say the least.

It’s probably one of the best support weapons that isn’t Autocannon/Railgun/Grenade Launcher meta.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-2XwmarSk

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This game is fun and I hope they make it so I can play before 1AM eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

On PS5 is there a way to log out without force closing the game from the main PS5 menu? Yesterday I just put my console to sleep after the tutorial before going to work and I think that just left me logged in all day taking up space on the servers.