Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Gallows Bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Gallows Bird

Pretty sure that's extortion, not blackmail.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Another vote for Comic Strips 2024: PA-SHI

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

He's wearing a camo onsy? What year is this from?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Crab Dad posted:

2014-15, I think.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 29, 1961)

I'm amazed a medieval child knows the body language for 'try me, motherfucker'

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Crab Dad posted:

Kennel posted:

2014-15, I think.

Also, in case his demeanor itself didn't clue you or even the pompadour... he's way up there in the dumbass scale.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Mom used to have a food grinder she'd take with her. Even at restaurants, whatever she ate, we ate. Being of Polish decent, she'd get the "You can't feed them that the spices are too much' nonsense all the time.

The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(August 22, 1910)

Baron Bean(February 21, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(January 20, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(October 13, 1919)

Us Boys(February 7, 1912)

The Gumps(March 19, 1917)

Krazy Kat(December 15, 1913)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Pluggers didn't get the memo apparently.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Ballard Street has a light dada feel to it. Nothing is serious, everyone is fine with everything being a little bonkers.

And a +1 to Smokey Stover with all of the thematically linked puns in the background. NOTARY SOJAK

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Baby birding him just like Alicia Silverstone

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I always think of Ballard Street's mood being... we walked in on a slice of a longer story, and all we have to go on is the moment we have. No prelude, no follow-up questions, just vibes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doomykins posted:

On that note I want to call in advance that Bones story about "an old fashioned death squad came to town" is a tip off a future development. I mean it's a given Ming is alive but New Flash is so drat good it could mean anything in how we get there and what developments occur. I just think that's a big tip off to shenanigans, maybe even from Aura herself? Or whoever else on this planet is up to questionable things.

It's a really cool look at the point in a setting where we assume all the good guys casually forge a golden era after the villain is knocked off. I was tickled pink by the ancient evil bastard in charge of the prison that ripped up Flash's order.
Yeah, we very specifically have not learned that Ming was dead, everybody in the room with him were ejected or blacked out before finding out what happened to him. There is no way he's not alive.

The death squad though could just be that, like the Jailmaster, Aura has not actually gone through things and started the changes and stuff, it's been like. A few days. She hasn't had time to start doing any reforms.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

even the skull has a disney smile

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ah, they work at Boeing.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 5/22-24/52

Archie 8/11-13/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 2/13/77

Okay, who didn't see that coming?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

thisusedyet posted:

Arn has already killed people, he blackmailed his dad into getting him a sweet Damascus blade and he's not afraid to use it. And if he used it because someone was coming at him with a blade, Val would be even more approving of his son.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Hippocrass posted:

Wikipedia" posted:

Horace Fletcher (August 10, 1849 – January 13, 1919) was an American food faddist who earned the nickname "The Great Masticator" for his argument that food should be chewed thoroughly until liquefied before swallowing: "Nature will castigate those who don't masticate." He made elaborate justifications for this claim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Fletcher

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I hope this guy gets called his comeuppance for lying about being Sonia's father immediately after kicking Brad out for lying about being vegetarian. Not sure your average boomer comics reader will even take note of the hypocrisy, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Saoshyant posted:

Just found out: Enrique Badía Romero, the main artist working on Modesty Blaise over the years (and whose art I really appreciated) died a few days ago. RIP.

I mean, I was surprised he was still alive when I was posting Axa, but that doesn't make it sting any less. RIP.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pancho Jueves posted:

I hope this guy gets called his comeuppance for lying about being Sonia's father immediately after kicking Brad out for lying about being vegetarian. Not sure your average boomer comics reader will even take note of the hypocrisy, though.
"Why rock the boat" thinks man who just did a bunch of sketchy poo poo preparing to rock the boat.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hwurmp posted:

they're not sure Aura and Barin can be trusted :ohdear:
I mean, they were about as helpful as an rear end in a top hat on his elbow during Flash's trial...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I mean, they were about as helpful as an rear end in a top hat on his elbow during Flash's trial...

That wasn't even a trail, it was "As lead investigator I think we need to keep this suspect in custody for now".

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Hippocrass posted:

Mom used to have a food grinder she'd take with her. Even at restaurants, whatever she ate, we ate. Being of Polish decent, she'd get the "You can't feed them that the spices are too much' nonsense all the time.

The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(August 22, 1910)

Baron Bean(February 21, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(January 20, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(October 13, 1919)

Us Boys(February 7, 1912)

The Gumps(March 19, 1917)

i love all of these too and i just never comment on them

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Well, she might want to know if there are any health conditions she should be on the lookout for, but what the hell. The conversation might be uncomfy for a big tough guy like you.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
hey, do any of y'all still have the "Oh, Baby" archive still? I'm asking for an enemy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dang it, I'm annoyed I forgot about those Norwegian comics, too. I like 'em.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Zereth posted:

Yeah, we very specifically have not learned that Ming was dead, everybody in the room with him were ejected or blacked out before finding out what happened to him. There is no way he's not alive.

The death squad though could just be that, like the Jailmaster, Aura has not actually gone through things and started the changes and stuff, it's been like. A few days. She hasn't had time to start doing any reforms.
It's like, up in the air if she even realizes one of the prisons is an underground death pit where prisoners aren't provided with basic amenities. She's smart and capable, but I imagine there's a lot of stuff to sort out. Like, a lot. The death pit prison might not be on her radar yet. It doesn't seem like any of the judges are going to raise it as a concern with her.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

"It's almost like it's a convenient way to get me out of the strip when my story arc is done...:thunk:"

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thisusedyet posted:

By this point he's already been kidnapped several times in his life. Including once before his birth.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

goatface posted:

Alley Oop's setting confuses the gently caress out of me.
They're cavemen, but there's time travel so they know about modern society and technology.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 19, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (June 29-July 1, 2005)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

It's amazing how much the daughter's opinions and agency just don't matter to this guy.

I know some people said that surely Moy must realize she's writing an awful person, but nothing we've seen in this entire storyline suggests otherwise. Like, the focus in this bit isn't that Keith's an intrusive prick for getting a DNA test without the daughter's consent, but that he's so noble for not caring that they're not biologically related at all.