Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Kivi posted:

We live in a sad world where the i5 diesel with automatic gearbox is the true enthusiast choice when it comes to 15 year old FWD Alfas.

Too bad the heads have some sort of fatal issues and wear themselves out so they're also NLA.

The previous gen could be had with Busso, manual gearbox and torsen AWD.

RE: integrated dashes, Giulia/Stelvio also has one of the better integrated dashes, due to being mostly 2016 design sold in 2024:

Yes, they just stuck a screen inside the gauge cluster binnacle and the one in the middle is a touch screen but you also have scroll wheel, home buttons etc. like in the old good iDrive setup and dedicated buttons for warming your rear end, steering wheel and other climate controls.

Well now I want a 156 GTA but lol lmao.

Also I would prefer longitudinal and a transaxle over transverse and awd personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheBacon posted:

(mazda get a nod too for having similar).

Yeah, about that (time to step out of our bubble.)

My 70 year old parents rented a recent Mazda last year on a vacation and they (along with my 10 year younger uncle who sells tools to auto shops) were utterly and completely baffled by the interface.

They thought the rental was broken because the screen wasn't responding to touch and had no idea how to make the wheel navigate around the interface. The very first thing I heard about the trip when they got back was how terrible the car infotainment system was on the Mazda they rented.

They are both completely comfortable with smartphones and newer technology otherwise.

Also, my 17 year old nephew's first exclamation when getting into an all screen Mercedes at the auto show this past weekend was "Wow, this is so cool."

Trends are what they are because they sell.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The mistake was allowing them to be sold. I call upon the NTSB to create a standard that says the common controls in a car must allow the user to perform a series of common tasks in a set time with a set (very small) amount of time with their eyes off the road.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Manufacturers often tout, all functions are accessible within 2 menus on their infotainments

:newfap:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

scientists/alchemists are still trying to determine what some car interiors are made of.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

They had a Blue Flame Corolla GR Circuit edition at the Pittsburgh Auto show this weekend and it's been awhile since I've lusted after a vehicle this badly.

I get home and check local inventory and only one is listed and it's under sales contract.

So...a dealer sold a car but before delivering it and took it to a week long auto show where hundreds of people are going to crawl all over it?
Yep. This time last year a dealership called me offering a red one. You'll never guess the color of the car they had at the convention center.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, I understand that 99% of the cars are the show are dealer inventory and will get sold as new to someone after being out in the public like that. If they are cleaned and have no damage, ok whatever. You never know how many people may have been in or driven a car that you buy anyways.

Something like this though, you know that person ordered it. They likely have an expectation that the only people in it are auto workers and transit people. They are probably breathlessly awaiting delivery only for it to be delayed.

I dunno, maybe the person that bought it works at the dealership and agreed to this in order to get the allotment.

All I know is I sat in that person's car and really wanted it.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I mean what’re you gonna do about it, not buy the very desirable car you ordered? Great, they can sell it off the lot with a big markup now.

It’s scummy but I can see why the dealer doesn’t give a poo poo.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Not as good as my miata :smugbert:

:buddy:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
If a car is sold then it shouldn't be taken to a show.

Otherwise both the last two Subarus I've gotten have been ex-demo/press cars and the fact they have been crawled through by who knows how many people hasnt bothered me because I knew that. If they were fresh delivered to dealer and I had committed to buying it, I'd be more than a touch annoyed however.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, about that (time to step out of our bubble.)

My 70 year old parents rented a recent Mazda last year on a vacation and they (along with my 10 year younger uncle who sells tools to auto shops) were utterly and completely baffled by the interface.

They thought the rental was broken because the screen wasn't responding to touch and had no idea how to make the wheel navigate around the interface. The very first thing I heard about the trip when they got back was how terrible the car infotainment system was on the Mazda they rented.

The mistake was not including a touch screen interface even if a better user interface was available, it would probably be minimal cost and help with temporary users. My laptop has a touch screen and I seldom remember it exists since I use the touchpad, but at least I have the option.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

bull3964 posted:

They had a Blue Flame Corolla GR Circuit edition at the Pittsburgh Auto show this weekend and it's been awhile since I've lusted after a vehicle this badly.

I get home and check local inventory and only one is listed and it's under sales contract.

So...a dealer sold a car but before delivering it and took it to a week long auto show where hundreds of people are going to crawl all over it?

My son and I bought a black Core that got delivered with 3 miles on it. I've only gotten to drive it twice, but he's in love with it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Saukkis posted:

The mistake was not including a touch screen interface even if a better user interface was available, it would probably be minimal cost and help with temporary users. My laptop has a touch screen and I seldom remember it exists since I use the touchpad, but at least I have the option.

It is touch screen otherwise it cannot be carplay compatible. They just disable it when not in carplay because mazda (rightly) says the touchscreen is less safe.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TheBacon posted:

It is touch screen otherwise it cannot be carplay compatible. They just disable it when not in carplay because mazda (rightly) says the touchscreen is less safe.

I’m team Mazda

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I remain annoyed at Toyota that they didn't announce the GR coming to NA before I bought my Golf R in 2019.

The Golf R is fine and is probably the better daily driver. It's also so boring to look at and while it's quick, there's no drama to it so not a ton of fun. There's just no real reason for me to try to replace it right now other than trying to find the sweet spot where I can buy the last of a dying breed of car before they go away forever.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I remain annoyed at Toyota that they didn't announce the GR coming to NA before I bought my Golf R in 2019.

The Golf R is fine and is probably the better daily driver. It's also so boring to look at and while it's quick, there's no drama to it so not a ton of fun. There's just no real reason for me to try to replace it right now other than trying to find the sweet spot where I can buy the last of a dying breed of car before they go away forever.

Automotive Rationality.

We might have to re-name the subforum, because of that and also because i keep seeing everybody saying Ai is going to destroy the world, and immediately think "but we're just people who like cars"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If we change the name to Automotive Rationality (AR) people might think this is a gun forum because ARs seem to be in the spotlight a lot lately.

I don't have any problems with guns, but a lot of people on the forums do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What about Automotive Depression?

That's mainly what I felt after going to the car show. Given what I'm willing to pay for a car (let's say soft cap of 55-60k) there were vanishingly few vehicles that I might actually want to purchase there.

There was one point where I was approaching the Kia section and they had a Seltos (I had no idea that was even a car model), Sportage, and Sorento all lined up in similar grey tones and I was like "Is this where we are? Is this really product differentiation?"

Then do that again for Trax, Blazer, Trailblazer, and Equinox.

Kicks, Murano, Rogue, Pathfinder.

Crosstrek, Outback, Forester, Ascent (and most of those were Wilderness editions so they looked even more the same.)

It just goes on and on. 3 or 4 slightly ever growing versions of the same body shape with the same engines and the same features in the same colors. Maybe there's an electric variant tossed in. A sea of bland mediocrity.

The only thing that broke up the views (literally) were the gigantic trucks that cost nearly as much as my house that come up to nearly my shoulder (and I'm 6' 3").

The bright spots that actually showed some spark of life were the BRZ/GT86. GR Corolla. Z. Supra. Civic Type R (even if they did bland it up for the new gen) I mean the Corvettes and Mustangs are all ok, even if they are something I wouldn't either personally want (Mustang) or could afford (Corvette). The Toyota section I think was the least bland (!) in that they had vehicles that actually looked different from each other. The only other kinda neat thing is they had the ID. Buzz there. Not something I would personally buy, but at least it was different.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 20, 2024

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bull3964 posted:

That's mainly what I felt after going to the car show. Given what I'm willing to pay for a car (let's say soft cap of 55-60k) there were vanishingly few vehicles that I might actually want to purchase there.

Man I feel this exactly.

I used to be excited to go to the annual auto show and see what all new stuff is out for sale and dream about what all I’d like to buy.

The overwhelming thought in my mind these days is just “people pay HOW MUCH for this dogshit??” It is just so bleak out there now even with a generous budget. Hell it’s actually kind of worse the more you spend.

I’m a tiny bit optimistic that the past several years have been a low point of design and technology and maybe some makers will figure it out better with the next generation of products but I’m not holding my breath.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I feel like Henry Bemis in "Time Enough at Last."

I have a decent amount of disposable income now and no real practicality obligations since I WFH and don't have kids.

But nearly all the new fun stuff is gone and the stuff that is still around you have to go through 5 layers of bullshit just to buy. It drives me loving insane that a dealer would only have to do the bare loving minimum of give me the dead center of KBB trade in value on my Golf and sell me a Blaze Blue GR Circuit Edition at MRSP and I would probably just go in and sign the papers and do it. But no, it's a whole process. Contact dealer, get spammed with stuff I don't actually want to buy, say they can only get me one if I want to pay $10k over MSRP or if I wait until 2025. Saps any enthusiasm I have out of getting a new car.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

quote:

... company spokesperson Mark Gillies told us in an e-mail that the Tourer is not coming to the United States. The liftback will arrive in North America during the second half of 2024.

https://www.motor1.com/news/709165/volkswagen-id7-tourer-debut-specs/amp/

Exterior is real sharp, but that interior makes me stop caring it's not coming here :v: [already ignoring I can't do an EV]

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Guinness posted:

Man I feel this exactly.

I used to be excited to go to the annual auto show and see what all new stuff is out for sale and dream about what all I’d like to buy.

The overwhelming thought in my mind these days is just “people pay HOW MUCH for this dogshit??” It is just so bleak out there now even with a generous budget. Hell it’s actually kind of worse the more you spend.

I’m a tiny bit optimistic that the past several years have been a low point of design and technology and maybe some makers will figure it out better with the next generation of products but I’m not holding my breath.

Just need to give gordon murray about $3mm and you can be excited about something new again!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

There seems to be hard limitations with MEB that restrict MEB vehicles from having normal car heights, and proportions. VAG doesn't have the styling talent that Hyundai and Kia do to disguise that fact.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sab669 posted:

https://www.motor1.com/news/709165/volkswagen-id7-tourer-debut-specs/amp/

Exterior is real sharp, but that interior makes me stop caring it's not coming here :v: [already ignoring I can't do an EV]

Outside looks good, but it isn't giving me VW vibes - looks more like a Peugeot or something

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

GD_American posted:

What normal rear end passenger car doesn't have a pass-through rear seat in the loving year 2024? That's insane

when I bought my evo X i assumed it would have the pass thru (it has the fold out armrest in the centre of the rear seat.) only the non-evo models have the pass through, as the evo decided to add 2 giant metal beams cross bracing the rear.

the rear seat doesnt fold flat either as the washer tank and battery are there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bull3964 posted:

I did some car shopping over the weekend and thats pretty much my opinion of the present available car market. Depression as far as the eye can see filled with lovely CUV's and SUV's, plus dogshit dual cabs. Anything I would actually like either no longer exists, has a CVT (gently caress YOU SUBARU make the WRX wagon with a manual you assholes, I am NOT buying another CVT car) or so eyebleeding expensive it could be a deposit for a house.

quote:

The bright spots that actually showed some spark of life were the BRZ/GT86. GR Corolla. Z. Supra. Civic Type R (even if they did bland it up for the new gen) I mean the Corvettes and Mustangs are all ok, even if they are something I wouldn't either personally want (Mustang) or could afford (Corvette). The Toyota section I think was the least bland (!) in that they had vehicles that actually looked different from each other. The only other kinda neat thing is they had the ID. Buzz there. Not something I would personally buy, but at least it was different.

After 30 years of shite BMW actually now maker a car I would honestly consider, the 2024 M3 Touring is pretty drat good int he flesh and I really didn't think I would ever say that.

Otherwise EV's have turned fast off the line into boring. There's no real Slow is Fast outside of the MX5/BRZ either. And stepping back into a 25 year old GC8 WRX you realize modern cars just do not have anything *close* to the feel of something actually genuinely good to drive like that. Yeah it's not THAT quick anymore but it does everything you want well.

Oooooor I get my Forester back on the road because that's got loads of power now and suspension and brakes and ugh fuckign wiring issues

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The cowards won’t give us the M3 touring. Absolutely better off putting money into keeping something you love on the road imo. New cars are almost universally appliances now outside the very very few that haven’t compromised themselves, of which the two mentioned are the only ones that aren’t gently caress you money really.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dissss posted:

Outside looks good, but it isn't giving me VW vibes - looks more like a Peugeot or something

If it was a Peugeot it would look nice on the outside instead of generic

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

SlowBloke posted:

If it was a Peugeot it would look nice on the outside instead of generic

I note you’ve specifically posted one before they changed their logo to match a bad high school sports team’s. Though I will admit they do look good when the DRLs are on the vertical lights.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

dissss posted:

They only made them towards the tail end of production and by then I think production numbers were quite low.
It's not bad per se, just so rare that I forgot about it :v:

As what other posters said, the multi-air can be finicky and the manual is trouble prone GM M32. It may or may not have the head gasket issues the 1.4 MA also has.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

The single biggest failure mode for the 159 is terminal rust in the sill area and front subframe. I think it might be the only car in the last 15 years to be rated one star in rust protection by swedish Vi Bilägaren.

I do wish Alfa/Stellantis somehow managed to come up with a new sport wagon.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bull3964 posted:

The Golf R is fine and is probably the better daily driver. It's also so boring to look at and while it's quick, there's no drama to it so not a ton of fun.

This was my opinion after getting in one. It's incredibly competent, comfortable and insulated from the outside world which are all the things that my brain associates with boring.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

I note you’ve specifically posted one before they changed their logo to match a bad high school sports team’s. Though I will admit they do look good when the DRLs are on the vertical lights.

The cheap looking logo is the least of the new front problems

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Similar position here, can finally afford to buy a new car but the only thing that has been interesting lately as a family car is several year old X3 in the base trim (4 turbo and rwd since it’s the lightest spec) because it’s super quiet, has rwd architecture and doesn’t have the newest iDrive with the terrible hepatic buttons.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 20, 2024

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

The cheap looking logo is the least of the new front problems

Yeah all the new versions look like poo poo tbh... Even the SUV thing that looked more like a Lamborghini than the Urus has been made shittier.

That said I took a look on the site and I'm definitely going to try and get a test drive in the Hypercar 9x8 because it's listed on there :v:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That said I took a look on the site and I'm definitely going to try and get a test drive in the Hypercar 9x8 because it's listed on there :v:

I wonder what finances options and service packages are available, the yearly maintenance might be spicy :) . I remember a few articles about people wanting a 9x8 for real but Stellantis not wanting to start a limited production run, I think only Ferrari and Glick let you purchase a hypercar.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 20, 2024

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I did some car shopping over the weekend and thats pretty much my opinion of the present available car market. Depression as far as the eye can see filled with lovely CUV's and SUV's, plus dogshit dual cabs. Anything I would actually like either no longer exists, has a CVT (gently caress YOU SUBARU make the WRX wagon with a manual you assholes, I am NOT buying another CVT car) or so eyebleeding expensive it could be a deposit for a house.

My wife just bought a new Lexus IS350F, and while some may consider it a dated platform, I'll take a new dated platform over anything else that's available or whatever Lexus is going to end up replacing it with.

It's nice to have a normal dashboard with real buttons and reasonably sized touchscreen, RWD with a smooth NA V6 and a real transmission. These cars are going to be dinosaurs real soon.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Cadillac was one of the first manufacturers to go to all touch controls back in 2013 and based on the CT4/CT5 interiors they're also one of the first to realize people hate it and RETVRN.

I've had one of those as a loaner and it's quite nice. Physical buttons for all the stuff you use regularly. I particularly like the change to having individual toggles for each vent so you can do any combo you like.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Buttons for temperature up/down are OK but I still feel like that UI peaked with a knob and a display inside the know showing the current setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Buttons for temperature up/down are OK but I still feel like that UI peaked with a knob and a display inside the know showing the current setting.

Yeah whoever designed that deserves more praise than they probably ever got. Same with whoever invented crotch AC vents.