Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Will Bloodfeast stay Bloodfeast when the antimagic ray gets turned off (at some point sooner or later) or will he revert back to a lizard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SKULL.GIF posted:

Will Bloodfeast stay Bloodfeast when the antimagic ray gets turned off (at some point sooner or later) or will he revert back to a lizard?

Anti-magic fields in 3.5e suppress effects but don't end them. As long as nobody specifically hits Bloodfeast with a dispel, he's still gonna be a lizard when he falls out of Sunny's line of sight.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How does a T-Rex or Allosaurus or whatever match up against an Ancient Dragon, though? It looks cool, but is this one of those DnD things where the stats are so different that Bloodfeast only hits on a 20 and only does 2d8 against the dragon's 300HP?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Phenotype posted:

How does a T-Rex or Allosaurus or whatever match up against an Ancient Dragon, though? It looks cool, but is this one of those DnD things where the stats are so different that Bloodfeast only hits on a 20 and only does 2d8 against the dragon's 300HP?

Burlew has repeatedly noted that he's willing to play fast and loose with RAW when it would make for a better narrative, and an arrogant dragon being caught absolutely flatfooted by a sudden thrown allosaurus attack strikes me as 100% believable within the bounds of the narrative.

That being said, the dragon is presumably no older than a mature adult given his size compared to V. That gives him an AC of 32. Since it looks like Bloodfeast has landed a grapple, which would make sense if the goal is to ground the dragon, a 3.5 allosaurus gets +24 to a grapple attempt. That strikes me as doable.

In a head-to-head gladiatorial-style fight, Bloodfeast is lucky to survive the first round, but as a sudden surprise anti-air attack? Solid tactics.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Phenotype posted:

Pretty much. Allosaurus only has 85HP and 14AC so an Ancient Red Dragon would paste it fairly quickly, and it has +12 bite and +7 claw attacks for 2d8+7 and 2d4+3 vs ancient red dragon's 39 AC and over 500 hp. But considering Bloodfeast was a trained army mount that was then adopted by a ranger as his companion, they're almost certainly significantly stronger than the base creature.

E:

Wanderer posted:

Burlew has repeatedly noted that he's willing to play fast and loose with RAW when it would make for a better narrative, and an arrogant dragon being caught absolutely flatfooted by a sudden thrown allosaurus attack strikes me as 100% believable within the bounds of the narrative.

That being said, the dragon is presumably no older than a mature adult given his size compared to V. That gives him an AC of 32. Since it looks like Bloodfeast has landed a grapple, which would make sense if the goal is to ground the dragon, a 3.5 allosaurus gets +24 to a grapple attempt. That strikes me as doable.

In a head-to-head gladiatorial-style fight, Bloodfeast is lucky to survive the first round, but as a sudden surprise anti-air attack? Solid tactics.

Where are you getting +24? Monster Manual 2 on internet archive is saying +22 for improved grab.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 19, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty sure any GM worth their salt would give Massively Foreshadowed Incredibly Cool Dinosaur Throw a special behind the scenes buff.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Everyone has a plan until someone throws an Allosaurus at you.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Poor Roy. Throwing animals at enemies never worked for him

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Ripper Swarm posted:

*and the next 50 comics because of course i immediately started rereading, thanks pal

Yeah that immediately happened.

Blood Runs in the Family is extra good and "But see Dad, that's the thing. I'm not a twin anymore" is such a good line for Elan.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

girl dick energy posted:

Everyone has a plan until someone throws an Allosaurus at you.

Actually, while you were partying I was preparing for an Allosaurus being thrown at me.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, the whole desert arc is my favourite part of the comic. It is probably more thematic to have Tarquin fall off-screen, but I'd love to see Haley's dad and lizard mercs taking down the Empire of Blood and its conspiracy.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I always thought we'd never see Bloodfeast as an allosaurus again.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Malpais Legate posted:

Blood Runs in the Family is extra good and "But see Dad, that's the thing. I'm not a twin anymore" is such a good line for Elan.

I'm just up to BRITF in the read through I'm doing with my daughter

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Malpais Legate posted:

Elan was raw as hell in that whole scene, and having no expression at all just sold it even more

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure any GM worth their salt would give Massively Foreshadowed Incredibly Cool Dinosaur Throw a special behind the scenes buff.

3.5 even has a term for that: circumstance bonus. Nobody ever expects sudden dinosaur in your face.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Where are you getting +24? Monster Manual 2 on internet archive is saying +22 for improved grab.

I just grabbed it off the first wiki I saw, honestly.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

I’ve seen it (I’m the OP of the manga thread!). I just don’t understand what you’re talking about.

Because of the way the evil demon possesses one of the main characters at opportune moments to that character's detriment while advancing their own evil machinations?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He's an advanced Allasaurus buffed to Gargantuan which does do extra damage.

Prodigal Trouble
Dec 6, 2023

Wanderer posted:

Anti-magic fields in 3.5e suppress effects but don't end them. As long as nobody specifically hits Bloodfeast with a dispel, he's still gonna be a lizard when he falls out of Sunny's line of sight.

On the plus side, Calder's last command to Sunny was to keep their beam centered on his torso, and given the "GLRKT!" sound effect I dunno if Calder's going to be issuing new coherent verbal directions in the immediate future. At least not before a crash landing right into melee range~

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Malpais Legate posted:

"And you're not the real villain"

Just utterly destroys his dad in two lines of dialogue.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ultrafilter posted:

Blackwing's remark in panel 4 is one of the best gags in the comic IMO.

"Fascinating, it would appear that you cease to be a mighty wizard and become a mere pointy-eared monkey. While I? I am still a dr--"

"GRAAAAAAAAAAAARGH"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

His determined little lizard face when he's mid-throw is the fuckin cutest.

I love the little “Gyaaa!” when Belkar asks if he’s ready.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, Bloodfeast was as psyched about this as us and Belkar. :3:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Which strip is the one in which belkar sees gannji and enor with their heads swapped to him and Mr scruffy? I remember it but I can't find it and it's driving me a bit crazy

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

sebmojo posted:

Which strip is the one in which belkar sees gannji and enor with their heads swapped to him and Mr scruffy? I remember it but I can't find it and it's driving me a bit crazy

The Philosophy of Chaos https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0606.html

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Gannji and Enor are the lizard and half-dragon Lenny/George duo, right?

#807: Wild Empathy

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 20, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ahhh tyvm I actually just got to it lol

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I may have a bad memory when it comes to NPC names.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hard to believe that was almost 500 pages and… 12 years ago

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Wanderer posted:

And Bloodfeast isn't just any ordinary, wild Allosaurus but a trained, war Allosaurus; for all we know, it could have loads of class levels under their belt, a powerful bespoke Blood Empire Warbeast template, or at least a few extra Hit Die of advancement, plus some more bonuses if it's Belkar's designated animal companion.

Edit: It would be hilariously appropriate if a hypothetical Blood Empire Warbeast template gave fire resistance and other anti-red dragon defenses, just to stop the Empress from chowing down on so many of their war animals.

lightrook fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 20, 2024

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Probably trained, not Animal Companion, Belkar’s a high-level Ranger, but not a high enough one to give any meaningful bonuses to a high-CR creature.

Plus, his animal companion is Mr. Scruffy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Plus, his animal companion is Mr. Scruffy.

I know that, and you know that, but do YOU want to tell Belkar he can't have multiple animal companions?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oobey posted:

If you remember the last time Bloodfeast was a dinosaur, congratulations, you've been reading this comic strip since 22 Oct 2023.

Edit: Or 2013, whatever.

10 years? Thats not that long, im pretty sure i was 14-16 when i started reading this comic, and im 32 now

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I recall being introduced to the comic around 2006 when I started at university, but was vaguely aware of it before that so it still felt like coming to the party late. I can't even remember where the storeline was at then.

Do we got any goons who were along from the beginning of Dorukan's dungeon?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I first read it just after they had lost the battle of Azure city, it was that long/tall strip with Roy and his dad looking down on the city.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Poil posted:

I first read it just after they had lost the battle of Azure city, it was that long/tall strip with Roy and his dad looking down on the city.

Yeah, it was the end of the Azure City arc for me too when I first got to the newest comic. I don't want to think of how long ago that was.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Slashrat posted:

I recall being introduced to the comic around 2006 when I started at university, but was vaguely aware of it before that so it still felt like coming to the party late. I can't even remember where the storeline was at then.

Younger me used to hang out on Wizards of the Coast forums. One day, another poster mentioned a new D&D webcomic, and I decided to check it out because it was less than a dozen pages long.

Never missed an update since.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm pretty sure they were still in Dorukan's dungeon when I started, but I wasn't there for the first comic. Damned if I can remember which comic I started on, I read one comic then proceeded to binge-read everything before it.

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024

Slashrat posted:

I remember reading from during the dungeon. I've reread it enough that I don't think I could pick out the specific strip. I just tried and I think it might be this: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html

Who was reading during the hand incident?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have no idea when I started reading, it was so long ago. I think it was during No Cure for the Paladin Blues, but I can't even remember if it was before or after the Miko reveal. I only started reading it regularly at around the time of the kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Randalor posted:

I know that, and you know that, but do YOU want to tell Belkar he can't have multiple animal companions?

I'm sure that's a feat in some 3rd party book.