Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

As above, the ration started with beer or port iirc but rum kept better, particularly for long voyages and in tropical waters.

For Britain specifically, rum was also consistently available where wine, port and sherry were interrupted by the state of Britain’s relationship with France, Spain, and Portugal.

Mixed with fresh water and lemon, rum was considered healthy. It was not drunk straight until relatively late, so it’s not like sailors were drunk, I think the serving would be around 4-5% abv.

Other countries did other things. Japan was so obsessed with their pickle ration that ships were designed with dedicated pickle lockers all the way until 1945. iirc it permanently changed Japanese cuisine. Curry was also introduced to Japanese culture through naval rations (don’t know the specifics).

Also the lime juice was mixed in with the rum so it served as a delivery method for the antiscorbutics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The original spirit used by the British navy was I believe brandy but they switched to rum once they started operating more in the Caribbean. It was originally served straight but began to be served mixed with water (grog) because drunkenness was a problem.

NZ didn't abolish the rum ration until 1990.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

DancingShade posted:

Key problem I see is you still need to buy lots of expensive multi million dollar interceptors to load on it. That's really the current problem, crewing aside. Uh, and material reliability issues aside too.

Submarines solve this problem. On that note, lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If they can run the ships with AI and remote control then the poor slobs left on board (because you know there will be a handful even if just sentries) to keep the rust off should definitely have a rum ration come back to make life semi-bearable.

Most likely however the neoliberal approach will be to cram all the remaining humans into a freezing sardine closet with one toilet and uncovered bare metal. And a robot that admonishes them if they eat a muesli bar.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

boy howdy are they gonna be surprised when they command their magic ai-powered robot ship to protect their maritime trade routes, and it begins a harassment campaign against US military ships in the region

the west activating the terminator Skynet but instead of destroying humanity it decides the most rational course of action is to join the PRC

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Skynet doesn't need to nuke everyone just set everyone's electronic bank accounts to zero.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So the crew optional boats will be controlled by what? Depressed sailors over Starlink? What if the Starlink get jammed like in Ukraine?

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 07:35 on Feb 20, 2024

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

So the crew optional boats will be controlled by what? Depressed sailors over Starlink? What if the Starlink get rammed like in Ukraine?

Depends, what's the scrap metal value?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

So the crew optional boats will be controlled by what? Depressed sailors over Starlink? What if the Starlink get jammed like in Ukraine?

lol they're building the naval tesla

Weka
May 5, 2019

Service might soon guarantee citizenship

quote:

The “Courage to Serve Act” creates a pilot program that would allow a qualified and vetted set of migrants to receive an expedited path to citizenship in exchange for military service, provided they:

Successfully complete multiple background checks conducted by both USCIS and FBI.
Are admissible to the United States, and;
Otherwise eligible for enlistment in the Armed Forces.

In turn, this legislation offers expedited processing and application assistance to immigrants, offering a unique solution to two challenges facing the United States: an influx of migrants looking to work, build a better life for their families, and contribute to our country, as well as a recruitment crisis within the ranks of our Armed Forces.

https://patryan.house.gov/media/pre...IS%20and%20FBI.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
it will go great

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Megamissen posted:

why did rum become the alcholic drink all the navies used?

lotta answers, but I'll add one more: rum is sweet and easy to drink, which is why you generally find sweet drinks as traditional ship hooches

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

genericnick posted:

why is it "air defences", what are the quotes for?

These mountain primitives with their moon god haven't got real weapons like our Maxim gun innit?

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Lmao I was trying to find the clip and found this bit from a CNN article

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/19/politics/us-investigating-drone-crash-yemen/index.html

Love to do self-defense strikes in another country on the other side of the planet.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Weka posted:

not even that

though i have to admit it is p peak shitlib to offer access to an expedited path towards citizenship as an incentive for signing up as cannon fodder

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

Service grants means-tested access to an expedited path to citizenship

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Weka posted:

enter(the military) for a chance to win(citizenship)!

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Access to expedited processing and assistance for citizenship application for Special Forces Ranger Marine Seals who lead a brigade on a military base in a disadvantaged community for at least three years.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Lmao I was trying to find the clip and found this bit from a CNN article

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/19/politics/us-investigating-drone-crash-yemen/index.html

america: oopsie-doodle we're investigating an unmanned-aerial-vehicle-involved collision uwu

houthis: check out my sick 360 no-scope instant killcam on tiktok, remember to like and dta

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

corona familiar posted:

america: oopsie-doodle we're investigating an unmanned-aerial-vehicle-involved collision uwu

houthis: check out my sick 360 no-scope instant killcam on tiktok, remember to like and dta

acskhually

quote:

The link you posted says that the US is investigating the cause of the crash, not that the US is making the claim that it crashed without enemy action.

shits just getting sad lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BULBASAUR posted:

lotta answers, but I'll add one more: rum is sweet and easy to drink, which is why you generally find sweet drinks as traditional ship hooches

At least for the British, and other colonial powers in the Caribbean, they also just had access to a ton of raw sugar, which is relatively easy to make rum from and was accessible outside Europe or North America. By the 20th century, it probably mostly tradition.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can investigate your drone "crash" by watch that Ansarallah posted video 100 times frame and frame.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Service grants means-tested access to an expedited path to citizenship

Don't serve the empire, it will betray you.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

DancingShade posted:

To imply that rather than having actual defence sites, industry, technical knowledge, radars and all the other pre-requisites of such capability that Yemen is instead firing ramshackle tin soup cans bolted together into a vaguely rocket shape and stuffed with loose dynamite sticks from the saddle of a straw chewing camel.

edit - imagine Rome having a conflict with Gaul and their "spears".
Enemies are always an existential threat while simultaneously being very weak and stupid

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Important enough to sell weapons to fight, but too pathetic too ever win anything or challenge supremacy.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/MilitaryTimes/status/1759982001875013673?s=20

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Osprey has a really hosed up transmission system, doesn't it? Someone tried to explain it once and it just seemed worse than either a twin engine plane or twin rotor helicopter in every way, though I'm not very mechanically inclined.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
The osprey is the funniest and stupidest thing to ever be put in the sky, they basically fail constantly and aren't good for anything iirc

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Osprey has a really hosed up transmission system, doesn't it? Someone tried to explain it once and it just seemed worse than either a twin engine plane or twin rotor helicopter in every way, though I'm not very mechanically inclined.

Each pod on the wings has its own engine but the engines are linked through the center to an auxiliary power unit by segmented shafts

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
24 Crashworthy Troop Seats

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bar Crow posted:

I was trying to come up with a good joke about that but nothing that comes to mind has been funnier than the plain text.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bar Crow posted:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SixteenShells posted:

Each pod on the wings has its own engine but the engines are linked through the center to an auxiliary power unit by segmented shafts

there has to be some other reason for the transmission, surely just giving each nacelle its own APU isn't the easy fix to this piece of poo poo

e:

quote:

The V-22's two Rolls-Royce AE 1107C engines are connected by drive shafts to a common central gearbox so that one engine can power both proprotors if an engine failure occurs.[76] Either engine can power both proprotors through the wing driveshaft.[75] However, the V-22 is generally not capable of hovering on one engine.[113] If a proprotor gearbox fails, that proprotor cannot be feathered, and both engines must be stopped before an emergency landing.

ah its because its literally incapable of landing safely if it loses an engine

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 18:20 on Feb 20, 2024

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Weka posted:

this will be very useful when the empire turns its gaze back home and needs nonlocal forces to quell unrest

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Raskolnikov38 posted:

there has to be some other reason for the transmission, surely just giving each nacelle its own APU isn't the easy fix to this piece of poo poo

e:

ah its because its literally incapable of landing safely if it loses an engine

Or glide, if I’m reading the bit about feathering correctly.

Can it autorotate?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't think it's so much that they're unreliable (they are, but for the usual declining empire reasons) but more that they can't glide OR autorotate so the moment they have any mechanical failure they just drop out of the sky like a rock. This might not be a problem if they were super reliable but see above.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Or glide, if I’m reading the bit about feathering correctly.

Can it autorotate?

no lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
well at least they planned ahead by making the seats worthy of the trip

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

They already solved the "make helicopter go fast" engineering problem, it's called a pusher prop. The army had a prototype attack helicopter back in the cold war that was fast as gently caress and kicked rear end, but it got killed because the air force was crying about how it would infringe on their cas job

E: this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AH-56_Cheyenne

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Feb 20, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

how does one stop both engines, in an aircraft that cannot glide or auto rotate, before performing an emergency landing....?

i mean i guess we have our answer, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hell this goofy helicopter that looks like you told a child to make a helicopter go faster is only 20 mph slower than the osprey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_X%C2%B3

They could just slap some forward facing nacelles on a Chinook if they really need heavy lift capacity