Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Not to sound snarky but what are they working on right now? I realize I am probably in the small minority who doesn't care about the modding tools yet, I've been holding off playing the game hoping the simulation stuff gets sorted out but I haven't heard much about it.

Are they primarily working on modding tools? If so that's pretty disappointing because it means the base game getting fixed is likely still a ways off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I feel like the hole CO's in is so deep--this WotW just reinforces that, every entry is "we do not fully understand our own simulation logic" or "we do not believe it is desirable to have realistic results"--the only way to unfuck things apart from a FF14:ARR hail mary (that isn't coming, C:S is nowhere near as important to Paradox as a FF MMO is to S-E and the push from 2020 to 2023 was apparently already a complete refactor) is to pray that a collection of good enough single system rework mods appear and can be embraced or cribbed from.

It's probably grim, grim news for them that they launched directly into a renaissance in SC4 DLL modding.

e: v s/grear/greater/

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 20, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

https://www.pcgamer.com/simcity-4-modders-are-cracking-its-deepest-recesses-in-ever-greater-numbers-enabling-extensive-new-changes/

I have no idea why the original link doesn't work but but one does. im too tired to spot the difference.

e: something im curious about SC4, can EA get all litigious about this if they wanted to? I ask because of this line in the article here "The first major DLL tweak was a cheeky little cheat file, SC4 Extra Cheats DLL, that Maxis developers had authorized the release of". Also is something like OpenSC4 (similar to OpenRCT2/TTD)a pipe dream?

Jonny Shiloh posted:

She does pop up in the comments (twice so far!) and takes on some points but she's sticking to the line that they're the victims in this:
I get gamers are toxic dickheads but whhyyyy is she posting like this?

buglord fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 20, 2024

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Popete posted:

Not to sound snarky but what are they working on right now? I realize I am probably in the small minority who doesn't care about the modding tools yet, I've been holding off playing the game hoping the simulation stuff gets sorted out but I haven't heard much about it.

Are they primarily working on modding tools? If so that's pretty disappointing because it means the base game getting fixed is likely still a ways off.

First things first, they absolutely HAVE to get the Ultimate Edition stuff delivered because it's now well overdue and is the thing most likely bothering the lawyers at Paradox right now - they can't just keep not delivering it and ignoring anyone who, reasonably in my view, asks for a refund based on the amount of time they've been waiting for it without any sign that it's going to be delivered beyond a throwaway line in WotW #whatever.

After that (or maybe contemporaneous with, I'm starting to lose the will to keep up with all this crap and can't be arsed to reference the WotWs covering this), there's a patch coming, then it's DLC + patch sequence, leavened with "official" map + code mod editor around end of March, then sometime in maybe "Finnish fall" the asset editor? Also forget about console, this game is never going to be certified for console release, I just don't see how CO can put enough shoulders to the wheel to get it done (job adverts on their website notwithstanding).

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

buglord posted:

She's absolutely terrible at PR

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

buglord posted:

e: something im curious about SC4, can EA get all litigious about this if they wanted to? I ask because of this line in the article here "The first major DLL tweak was a cheeky little cheat file, SC4 Extra Cheats DLL, that Maxis developers had authorized the release of". Also is something like OpenSC4 (similar to OpenRCT2/TTD)a pipe dream?

Probably. The current theory afaik is that linking to another program is fanfiction ("derived work") and therefore illegal unless specifically allowed

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

mfcrocker posted:

She's absolutely terrible at PR

Yeah, pointing the finger at the community for being toxic (even when warranted) does no good for anybody involved.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A couple years ago someone started to make an OpenSC2K and got a decent ways into it. EA sent the guy a threatening cease-and-desist and shut it down. No chance in hell any such thing will ever happen for SC4.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

A couple years ago someone started to make an OpenSC2K and got a decent ways into it. EA sent the guy a threatening cease-and-desist and shut it down. No chance in hell any such thing will ever happen for SC4.

Counterpoint: Nothing seems to have happened to KeeperFX, and the original Dungeon Keeper IP is definitely with EA.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
A reimplementation of an executable is legal so long as there's no evidence of IP infringement/code plagiarism, which usually means making drat sure nobody who's ever touched the code has even glanced at the original implementation. That tends to be a difficult order with modders, but it's possible. It's how OpenMW hasn't been shitcanned.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

KeeperFX are very direct about working from a disassembly of the original game EXE file, I don't think it's a clean room implementation at all. (Just like OpenTTD is not either.)

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I could be wrong, but I remember OpenSC2K using sprites from the game and that's what got them in trouble with EA.

And not in the usual these set ups work where you install original game for the program to pull the sprites from.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Steam store page has officially gone from “Mixed” to “Mostly Negative” on recent reviews. :toot:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't think EA could stop you from making a game that is extraordinarily similar to SC4 if it didn't use any materials from the original game. You'd want to change a bunch about it anyway if you were going to bother, so it wouldn't be a straight copy. Actual diagonal roads, ability to freely stack rails on roads, that kind of thing.

You'd just have to be really careful that this is a new city builder heavily inspired by SC4, not OpenSC4.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The shame is that not-SC4 has an incredibly tough score to beat when it comes to the soundtrack. SC4 and 3K are pretty iconic.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think EA could stop you from making a game that is extraordinarily similar to SC4 if it didn't use any materials from the original game. You'd want to change a bunch about it anyway if you were going to bother, so it wouldn't be a straight copy. Actual diagonal roads, ability to freely stack rails on roads, that kind of thing.

You'd just have to be really careful that this is a new city builder heavily inspired by SC4, not OpenSC4.

Starting to think this may actually happen in my lifetime and getting quite excited. in an ideal world you'd somehow just smash the 20 years of NAMs and STEXes DVDs and all that poo poo into a new thing that just loving works and has a usable UI. worst case is EA wakes up and does something horrible with it. SC4 is one of the best games ever made and has always had the potential for more.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

buglord posted:

The shame is that not-SC4 has an incredibly tough score to beat when it comes to the soundtrack. SC4 and 3K are pretty iconic.

I was this close to putting Magic City from SC3K on a playlist for my wedding. I ended up settling on one of the tracks from The Sims 1 Build Mode :v:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

skooma512 posted:

I was this close to putting Magic City from SC3K on a playlist for my wedding. I ended up settling on one of the tracks from The Sims 1 Build Mode :v:

I can think of two TS1 Build Mode songs that would fit there. I wonder if yours was one of them. TS1 had some absolutely timeless bangers.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

skooma512 posted:

just imagining this playing at a wedding :mmmhmm:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4UrSPj8iyHs

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

buglord posted:

I can think of two TS1 Build Mode songs that would fit there. I wonder if yours was one of them. TS1 had some absolutely timeless bangers.

Spotify only had 3 out of the 6 build mode songs. I picked Under Construction, though I usually identify them by Buildmode[1..6]

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The SC series had such unimpeachable music quality that they pretty much singlehandedly defined what the genre sounds like. Music from 2 through 4 is playing in my head at all hours, if someone reads my mind it'll be like Homer with Meow Mix.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sims 1 had great music. These ones pop up in my head once in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs5QGN-zhwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=399YneFTwh0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tQsaSP9fmA

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Entropic posted:

Steam store page has officially gone from “Mixed” to “Mostly Negative” on recent reviews. :toot:

at this point im one foot into team chaos. drag them for releasing it in the state that it was and show that there's consequences for rushing it out and also having a shockingly bad PR presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2MFv2xe8yQ
Build Mode 5 was so moody. All the build music was good, but this one always lodged itself in my head as something that was really expressive and almost kinda melancholic.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

nielsm posted:

KeeperFX are very direct about working from a disassembly of the original game EXE file, I don't think it's a clean room implementation at all. (Just like OpenTTD is not either.)

Yeah but it's one thing getting away with it and another being actually safe from potential litigation.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Just depends on the license holder really. Like if you're making an open source remake of something and a big corporation says "Do not." then you kinda have to cave in, even if you are legally in the right it's not like us regular nerds on the internet have got teams of copyright lawyers to fight the case.

Fortunately there are a decent number of rights holders around who are either cool with it or have at least calculated that upsetting devoted fans is a bad idea.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That's why rule 0 of all these kinda fan projects is always "don't loving say anything until it's out" but so many nerds are bad at shutting up and then they get C&D'd.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

buglord posted:

In a way it's good to see the unfiltered Mariina again after the neutered clone was wheeled out of storage to write the last two WotWs... she's disappeared again now though after a brief reappearance in the "SC2 is basically hosed" thread...

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/cs2-hits-mostly-negative-on-recent-steam-reviews.1624698/post-29415681

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
tbh people seem to be acting insanely weird about this whole ordeal now so i don't blame the devs for being a bit frustrated. it's a game that was clearly kicked out the door far too early and major changes / refactors take a long time to actually materialize. maybe it'll end up fixed, or maybe paradox will cut their losses and leave now that they've created a hosed up situation that i guarantee you someone was warning them about.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jonny Shiloh posted:

In a way it's good to see the unfiltered Mariina again after the neutered clone was wheeled out of storage to write the last two WotWs... she's disappeared again now though after a brief reappearance in the "SC2 is basically hosed" thread...

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/cs2-hits-mostly-negative-on-recent-steam-reviews.1624698/post-29415681

I have asked you to quit posting like this about this particular lady. You don't know her personally and the vibe of your posting about her is a bit weird. I'm going to ask you to just stop posting here about her. Talk about the game, talk about the things she posts, since I realise she is the main person posting on their blog. Do not talk about *her*. Thanks.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

FZeroRacer posted:

tbh people seem to be acting insanely weird about this whole ordeal now so i don't blame the devs for being a bit frustrated. it's a game that was clearly kicked out the door far too early and major changes / refactors take a long time to actually materialize. maybe it'll end up fixed, or maybe paradox will cut their losses and leave now that they've created a hosed up situation that i guarantee you someone was warning them about.

Yeah sim fans in general tend to be very passionate and then when things don't pan out how they hoped it quickly turns into a dog pile.

I bought the deluxe edition. I've played like 5 hours before putting it down since launch. I'm really hoping they can make the background sim stuff work but it seems like it's gonna be awhile. Thankfully as good a year as 2023 was for gaming, 2024 is similarly starting off with a bang and Balatro/Helldiver's 2 is sucking up all my gaming time.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

HopperUK posted:

I have asked you to quit posting like this about this particular lady. You don't know her personally and the vibe of your posting about her is a bit weird. I'm going to ask you to just stop posting here about her. Talk about the game, talk about the things she posts, since I realise she is the main person posting on their blog. Do not talk about *her*. Thanks.

Just so we're clear, is it still okay to marvel at how dreadful she is at PR given that's effectively talking about the things she posts?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

mfcrocker posted:

Just so we're clear, is it still okay to marvel at how dreadful she is at PR given that's effectively talking about the things she posts?

Everything I have seen of the CEO of Colossal Order paints them as being very bad at their job, and they have turned most of the community against them and the company. I believe they are a bad CEO and the main joy I get out of this game is waiting for Mondays and laughing at the vapid Word of the Week posts they put out.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My take is that I’m going to keep making fun of words of the week and it’s because the CEO is bad at fluff PR which to me seems like most of the job of anyone with the title CEO.

But I can also see how that can very quickly get weird, so maybe just be aware of weird personal attacks when you post “drat the CEO sucks at PR?” I dunno I’m not trying to backseat mod but she’s been really blowing it and it’s hard to avoid talking about and I bet will continue this way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Personally I don't think there's a chance in hell the CEO actually ever wrote a single word of a Word of the Week or even decided the contents. That's generally not something the CEO would do. They talk to businesspeople. There's other people who communicate semi-technical and PR updates with the community and sign the CEO's name.

They're pretty bad at their job.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 23, 2024

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

As someone who mostly lurks this thread to find out the state of the game I find the obsession over the word of the week to be bizarre. For the most part they say little of value, which makes the posts about them also have little value.

SC4 chat on the other hand is good stuff

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if she is the one writing them because I got the impression she was pretty hands on involved with stuff back with SC1. But I of course do not actually know. :shrug:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's the only communication coming from CO, so it's hardly surprising that people talk about the only thing CO is doing.

The idea that CEOs are above posting through it has been conclusively disproven in recent years, see Twitter, or tumblr right now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s weird that the author of the word of the week is being concentrated on to an extent that previously mocked paradox dev blogs were not.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Frankly, in a better world more ceos would be subject to constant scrutiny and mocking not less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

MikeJF posted:

Personally I don't think there's a chance in hell the CEO actually ever wrote a single word of a Word of the Week or even decided the contents. That's generally not something the CEO would do. They talk to businesspeople. There's other people who communicate semi-technical and PR updates with the community and sign the CEO's name.

They're pretty bad at their job.

It's company with about 30 employees, I guess Paradox was more involved in pre-release communication and marketing, but it's not that unusual for CEOs of small companies to handle these things