Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MeatRocket8 posted:

It's one of those games that takes some time to reveal all it has to offer. You start out running around mining rocks, but later you're building a handful of automated mining factories, collecting different ships that serve different purposes, managing settlements, and expeditions, looking for underwater crash sites in a submarine, building different styles of homes, attacking enemy bases with a big battle mech helping you. Driving different types of ground vehicles on planets with thunderstorms, tornados, or erupting volcanos. I built a glass domed base on the ocean floor, and its like an acquarium with all kinds of sea creatures swimming around.

I played and enjoyed it a lot more in VR (200+ hours) than when I first played it flatscreen. It doesn't just improve immersion and make everything look bigger and more impressive, but aiming your mining laser and weapons is faster and more accurate, since you're using your hand in a lifelike scaled environment, inside of a thumbstick on a monitor or TV. You can use your shield at the same time as your gun which you can't do with your gamepad.

It will take at least 20-30 hours to get to most of that content. And you take a hit to the graphics quality playing in VR, and motion controls for piloting the ships is kind of wonky, but it's usable.

Dammit, that all sounds great but not something I'm willing to pump hours into to get to (and certainly not on a free weekend!).

It's my own fault, but I gave up on the game when I realized the planet I was building a base on wasn't optimal and the one next to it was a better choice, deleted the base I'd built to get the resources back and then used the base computer that told me I could "delete" the base, so I did. The Base Computer disappeared, I assumed it was back in my inventory, so I flew to the next planet, went to grab my base computer to set up the new base and the game said,"You need 30 <some kind of metal> to make a base computer first" and I realized the one I'd started with was just... gone now. I guess I shouldn't have deleted the base, just packed up the computer into my inventory somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I am very annoyed that I beat Half Life Alyx without noticing the alien grenades. I mean I saw them and even tried to get them but I gave up when it seemed like I couldn’t. Now I’m watching a let’s play with hundreds of spare pistol ammo and I’m cursing my rotten luck.

they're a sad mockery of the one true Xen grenade, the Snark

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Dunno if anyones been following CitraVR, because when the first beta was released it was real janky. Extremely beta. Stuffs been going on with it though pretty fast.

There was a fork to add "immersive mode" by Dr. Beef, the dude who ports other games to Quest standalone. I tried it out and it was actually very cool. It got merged in with normal CitraVR pretty fast, and now it's evolved into super immersive mode which I think might end up more like what people imagine the first time they hear "playing 3ds games in VR."

https://twitter.com/TeamBeefVR/status/1757481058071720395

I havent had time to test it out again, see how performance is (that was the biggest thing that needed work. Even on a Quest 3 for me it was not so great yet) but I think it's gonna get there eventually and actually be something really cool.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

they're a sad mockery of the one true Xen grenade, the Snark

Those grenades don't encourage you to perform tummy rubs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Via reddit
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37027727/
"Our results show that 120fps is an important threshold for VR. After 120fps, users tend to feel lower SS symptoms without a significant negative effect on their experience. Higher frame rates (e.g., 120 and 180fps) can ensure better user performance than lower rates."

Maybe in 10 more years we will have good VR that doesn't make people sick!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Man I've always had a strong stomach for motion sickness and none of the games I've played on here have bothered me much, but I tried Boneworks last night and it was like oppressively unpleasant. No idea what made it so miserable but I got extremely queasy. I don't think it was even just attributable to the smooth forward movement, because I played a bunch of Amid Evil which doesn't use teleport-to-move and it gave me no trouble.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
That moment early in Moss 2 where Quill says something like "Yes, my reader is still with me here." and she moves a mirror fragment so that you see your reflection behind her :3:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve been lent a Meta Quest 3 indefinitely

What are some good games/apps? I am coming from a PSVR1

Do things go on sale periodically?

Edit: looks like things go on sale for 20% off

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 20, 2024

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve been lent a Meta Quest 3 indefinitely

What are some good games/apps? I am coming from a PSVR1

Do things go on sale periodically?

Edit: looks like things go on sale for 20% off

You can use this site https://meta-dog.github.io/meta-dog/ to get a 25% discount on basically any game via these referral codes so there's essentially a perma sale. Sometimes things go on sale for more though. There is also a trick where if you buy games through the in Quest browser it'll offer you a selection of games to add to the other for a 15% discount and if you do then it'll offer another selection of games for a 25% discount but it's not worth bothering since you can get 25% discount with less effort (there are also sometimes issues with refunding games you buy through that bundling while the discount code site doesn't effect it).

I'd say Beat Saber, Walkabout Golf, Light Brigade, and Gorn. If you want to get into sideloading you can get your Quest connected to a PC and there are a lot of fun ports of PC games that will run on the Quest natively you have to use the SideQuest sideloading thing to access.

If you want to try streaming from your PC you can try the built in Oculus Air Link app or the new Steam Link app and if you want to be able to do more advanced streaming you can buy Virtual Desktop. It does require some specific network setup (your streaming PC really needs to be ethernet connected) and sometimes people hate the fiddle so it's not for everyone.

I found the default Q3 strap painfully uncomfortable and if you'd like something closer to the PSVR1's halo strap you can get a Bobovr M3 or S3.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The eternal sadness of still having to wear glasses in VR…

I got excited that Quest 3 had a focus dial but then it turned out to just be for eye distance

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 20, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to watch 3D movies in Quest 3

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Steve Yun posted:

I got excited that Quest 3 had a focus dial but then it turned out to just be for eye distance

Eternal until you decide to get a pair of prescription inserts and then you never have to worry about it again!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah, I got the honsvr inserts took about a week or two to show up and was worth the $50. The slider on the Q3 is for your ipd.

Maybe that's part of how so much of my motion sickness went away. Still surprised that years of using the original Rift and a Quest 1 and I still couldn't handle direct movement or even simulators very well (flying was okay until there was lots of rolling which made me ill) but on the Q3 everything has been so much better. I just played Squadrons and was zipping all over the place with no issue. Though that game's stupid anticheat kept crashing or refusing to launch I dunno why no matter how many suggestions I followed on fixes and ran it offline. I just want to play it singleplayer let me disable that poo poo. I had the same thing with fifa stupid ea.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a way to watch 3D movies in Quest 3

Yes, you just need the right app. Bigscreen has some to stream, and there are various apps that will play side-by-side 3D files (the most common ad hoc format, just any video file that's literally just the two 'eye' viewpoints split down the middle) or MV-HEVC (Apple's "spatial video", much less common and slower to encode but all-around better for most consumer purposes).

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, bums me out too. It was the main thing that kept me from playing my son’s Quest 2 more

Not buying inserts for someone else’s device who doesn’t need them

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
are there any telescoping face covers? im meh-sighted so sometimes i want the glasses on, sometimes i don't care.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

tehinternet posted:

Not buying inserts for someone else’s device who doesn’t need them

Oh yeah sorry I missed that you were the "indefinitely loaned" person.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Al! posted:

are there any telescoping face covers? im meh-sighted so sometimes i want the glasses on, sometimes i don't care.

Both the stock q3 and amr facial interface can be slid forwards and backwards easily to change the distance to the lenses. It can be hard to see how the sliding works until you remove it. With it all the way out I could fit my glasses in there.

I don’t know poo poo about how eyes work but I’m assuming my severe astigmatism with prism poo poo prescription is why I don’t think there would ever be a way to solve my eye troubles with just headset adjustments. So I’m gonna be always either fitting in my glasses or going custom lenses.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Instead of inserts just get cheapest 7 dollar glasses from zenni, the frames are really flexible so they dont bother me at all, they do get a bit smeared on the edges sometimes but who cares

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

explosivo posted:

Oh yeah sorry I missed that you were the "indefinitely loaned" person.

I dunno though, I'd be terrified to wear my glasses in a Quest long term.

Maybe the Quest 3 is better about it, or maybe I just got a weird nose/face, but when I got my Quest 2 I wore glasses in it at first with the glasses spacer, it didn't do poo poo and it scratched my lenses.

I did the polywatch thing and it thankfully worked perfectly, but I heard that doesn't work on Quest 3's lenses. So if I was borrowing a headset from someone for a long time I might get something for it anyway just so I don't potentially return it all scratched up.

Though, too, when I got my Quest 3 the first lens attachment things I got for it were garbage, (the weak magnets wouldn't keep them in place and they'd fall in there out of place with any fast movement.) had to go refund them and buy a good, more expensive pair, so it is kinda a whole thing I guess maybe you can't cheap out on too much. Maybe if there's a specific pair of glasses that work well with it, that'd be a thing to do.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I read that unless you need to frequently remove and attach the inserts you are better off going for the non magnetic ones since they more securely snap on. The magnetic inserts are also slightly thicker to account for the magnets which can bother people who like to ultra squish the headset against their face. I bought the snaps and they’ve been fine

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The zennis I got for my wife are totally secure and an absolutely minimal profile. The bridge of her nose is more prominent than some so I wasn’t sure if they’d bug her but it’s been perfect and no problems at all, highly recommend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I bought zenni inserts and it is such a relief to be able to just slap the thing on my face without having to worry about fogging up the lenses or scratching them. Definitely worth the price.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Having trouble finding a streaming service 3D movie to play on the Quest3. Am I supposed to pick one out on my phone first?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Having trouble finding a streaming service 3D movie to play on the Quest3. Am I supposed to pick one out on my phone first?

Bigscreen?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I installed big screen and logged into Amazon but the only stereoscopic content I see is a trailer channel

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I installed big screen and logged into Amazon but the only stereoscopic content I see is a trailer channel

I think you can rent movies in Bigscreen.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, I got the honsvr inserts took about a week or two to show up and was worth the $50. The slider on the Q3 is for your ipd.

I just got those for my coming Q3, 50 USD and no shipping fee worldwide is a great deal imo. I live in germany and that's a solid discount to local or other companies.

Always used my glasses in the Q2 and scratched them due to this, so I'm more than happy to pay this now.

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
bigscreen no longer rents movies

https://www.reddit.com/r/bigscreen/comments/18ioioa/cant_rent_movies/

:filez: and skybox vr might be the only option right now

LIterallyABikeshop fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 20, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is all that stuff that requires a PC cause the only PC I have runs windows 7

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
skybox is a native quest app and can play videos on your PC's hard drive over the network.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MeatRocket8 posted:

motion controls for piloting the ships is kind of wonky, but it's usable.
This was my main turnoff when it came to playing NMS in VR. I have a HOTAS setup, why doesn't the game let me use it?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Collateral Damage posted:

This was my main turnoff when it came to playing NMS in VR. I have a HOTAS setup, why doesn't the game let me use it?

You can do it by emulating an xbox controller. It was broken for a while in VR, but they fixed it some time ago I think.

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020
Would it add too much latency to have the processor in a unit carried on the users belt with a wired connection to the hmd, like with the vision pros battery?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DoctorRobert posted:

Would it add too much latency to have the processor in a unit carried on the users belt with a wired connection to the hmd, like with the vision pros battery?

i feel like theyd have to come up with a solution for the heat, im surprised the batteries arent burning people yet

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020

Al! posted:

i feel like theyd have to come up with a solution for the heat, im surprised the batteries arent burning people yet

The processors in inside out tracking hmds are super low power anyway right? Maybe the processor and cooling are so lightweight physically that moving it off the actual hmd wouldn't really be improving things.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The fans in the vision pro are crazy. I can't imagine how much Apple spent on making it work. Putting that much processing in your pocket with no airflow is probably a no go.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

DoctorRobert posted:

The magic leap does this and it's basically strapping a fan and apple tv to your belt.
I honestly think i'd like this better but I dunno if it would be any more performant or powerful on a belt vs your head.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I would like an external module not only for reducing the weight of the headset but for hip position tracking. Knowing the position of your hips relative to your head would be great for making stick locomotion more natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gangringo posted:

I would like an external module not only for reducing the weight of the headset but for hip position tracking. Knowing the position of your hips relative to your head would be great for making stick locomotion more natural.

Quest 3 has inside out body tracking, to some degree. I haven't messed around with it yet, but it's supposed to be able to do exactly that without any extra external devices