Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Eediot Jedi posted:

End of an era lads

e: Updated Toybox out. Adds ability to change companion size (need to save and reload to update), fixes for the new version
https://github.com/xADDBx/ToyBox/releases/tag/RTv1.5.10d-fix

at long last, i will be able to make Ulfar small, and myself huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Naramyth posted:

I thought I read they lid off a bunch of employees and were almost bankrupt but I can’t find that info again so uh hearsay nonsense I guess

Sounds like HBS.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Naramyth posted:

I thought I read they lid off a bunch of employees and were almost bankrupt but I can’t find that info again so uh hearsay nonsense I guess

Laid off a bunch of employees is almost certainly true--this happens like clockwork after every major release to the point where even Larian-is-private cannot meaningfully change my response unless shown evidence to the contrary. Almost bankrupt is a hilariously laughable claim that needs a gigantic "CITATION NEEDED" stamped on it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

at long last, i will be able to make Ulfar small, and myself huge

Two different solutions. Owlcat trying to accommodate Ulfar with mechanic and map changes, Toybox with 'lol just shrink him'. What a time to be alive :allears:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's absolutely no mention of any lay-offs at Larian, no one talking about it on twitter, nothing. I don't know what evidence you need of this thing that didn't happen.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Naramyth posted:

You're thinking of Harebrained Schemes. Larian is doing perfectly fine (and is celebrating a bajillion awards), as is Owlcat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I opened the office door and Larian was inside and they were firing everyone and one of the fired people looked up at me and said 'tell my story'

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's wild we could be talking about this big cool patch but instead all anyone wants to talk about is phantom layoffs and whether or not voice acting is good (answer: it doesn't matter that war's over and voice acting won)

I for one will not be missing the Argenta Meta

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

throughout my first playthrough i was wondering if i should have made a pyromancer. looks like it was really broken though so i guess its a good thing i didnt. anyway it looks fun, gonna play as one when i do another playthrough in a few years

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It looks like literally everything was broken though, pyros weren't special.

Blockhouse posted:

it's wild we could be talking about this big cool patch but instead all anyone wants to talk about is phantom layoffs and whether or not voice acting is good (answer: it doesn't matter that war's over and voice acting won)

I for one will not be missing the Argenta Meta

I booted the game, went to a warp encounter combat I had ready to go. Arch militant ulfar still turn 1 wiped the enemy, with one officer helping him out. Didn't respec or change equipment. It was good equipment tbf.

Ulfar didn't have his charge ability, not even in the skill list, where you can grab the icons to put them on the hot bar. When I tried the respec ability on my character, it reset to level 1, but I couldn't actually level up until I left the arena, which coincidentally was back to the ship. I did that after combat though.

Then I decided I couldn't be arsed respeccing, equipping my whole party to test combat anyhow.

Good patch in theory! Lots of fixes and changes I am excited by. Wish I could give more a poo poo!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

shut up, im convincing myself i made the right choice

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone else experiencing slowdowns with the new patch? Sometimes when my RT uses Lightning Arc on enemies the game slows down massively. On one occasion I was about to Task Manager out of the game because it was so slow before things cleared up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

DaysBefore posted:

I mean it is a legitimate bottleneck for devs to commit to full voice acting. See Morrowind -> Oblivion. Personally I prefer the mix that Owlcat does where important characters in important scenes get cool voices but some sidequest with General Nobody can vomit paragraph after paragraph of unvoiced but well written text at you

This. I like the approach of Owlcat, BG1/2, Neverwinter Nights 1-2, Pillars of Eternity 1 (2 went for the full voice acting, but actually not, but it still felt like it limited NPC interactions. Which, on the other hand, may be to the best if you remember PoE1 walls of text), Tyranny. I don't want to listen to NPCs doing basic exposition with voices and I feel guilty for skipping it, and being walking encyclopedia suits some NPCs. I also don't like how in most modern voiced NPCs the world is filled with NPCs you can't talk with.

The numerous tricks RPGs use to circumvent the limitations of voice acting irritate me. In some older RPGs you could ask a random person on the street where the tavern is or what's happening (e.g. see Arcanum or Morrowind) and get varied response depending on circumstances like race or social status of the inconsequential characters. Nowadays RPGs send a welcoming NPC your way when you enter town dumping all this on you. You can't put specific directions in VA unless the game map is fully finished, or you can't put a random requirements there so people say "I've marked it on your map" or "here I've written what I need on thjs note".

Anyway Owlcat does it right at the moment.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jack Trades posted:

The goal is to not make the player weaker. It's to bring different strategies into being closer to each other in terms of power.

If you nerf the OP powers AND the enemies then your weak powers will be stronger relatively to the rest.
Yes, but I don't want every party build to be as good as Officer-spam-Argenta, because that build trivialises combat to the point that it may as well not exist.

That's fun for a while, but like playing with cheat codes, it gets old. I was planning to make my next playthrough not use the game-breaking builds in favour of something fluffier so I could engage more with the combat. Their wording suggests the plan might be to make everything as powerful as Officer-AM, which would remove that option. I hope that's not in fact the plan and it's just unclear wording.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 20, 2024

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The patch helped with a bunch of UI annoyances. The Gamepad controls had some problems. Like when you turn on popups describing an item and want to equip it the popup blocks most of your character sheet, you have to cancel equipping, turn off the popup and equip again. Not anymore. A lot of minor nuisances like that kept me from playing the game more than balance concerns and bugs. I still had bugs though, hope it will be better now.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ilitarist posted:

The patch helped with a bunch of UI annoyances. The Gamepad controls had some problems. Like when you turn on popups describing an item and want to equip it the popup blocks most of your character sheet, you have to cancel equipping, turn off the popup and equip again. Not anymore. A lot of minor nuisances like that kept me from playing the game more than balance concerns and bugs. I still had bugs though, hope it will be better now.

I keep saying, six months after launch is when it is going to be at a playable state without bigger issues and my prediction seems to be right so far.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SpaceDrake posted:

You're thinking of Harebrained Schemes.

Noooo my little robot men! Does this mean no battle tech sequel?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

evilmiera posted:

I keep saying, six months after launch is when it is going to be at a playable state without bigger issues and my prediction seems to be right so far.

The problem is that they release their first big dlc with a new character at that point, so it will have brand new issues.
Though I guess Ulbrig DLC for Wrath was not that messy.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I like this game a lot and enjoyed playing Kingmaker and Wrath while waiting for this patch... but I've kinda been lukewarm or turned off by every DLC they've ever made for anything.

Demon Twins & Bear Bro are the only ones I found at least mildly enjoyable, and if they make an effort for DLC companions to be integrated with and react to the main ones I'll be stoked.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I didn't like Pathfinder games but I think the idea behind roguelike expansions is great. Every story-focused RPG must have a mode like this. Even replayable RPGs suffer from the fact you know all the quest rewards and party members. A randomized mode, however basic, would be great for many classic party-based RPGs as a side dish.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I definitely wouldn't mind a roguelite DLC for this game, considering that it actually has a fun combat system unlike the Pathfinder game.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 20, 2024

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I am not sure yet about this game if the variety of builds and enemies can support a roguelike mode. I didn't like Pathfinder combat but it had a lot of space for experiments.

I wish there was a DLC like that for some other RPGs. Pillars of Eternity 2 has great deep mechanics, but it's a very roleplaying-focused game and it's easy to play through the game several times feeling like you've scratched the surface.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I'm not the only person here who only really appreciated the combat in this game as a way to play with new toys. This game was a colony building / ship combat game first and foremost and the on foot combat was only something I looked forward to after buying a shiny new heavy bolter or power sword or something. It being easy to trivialize and obliterate every combat encounter was a feature not a bug for me.

I'm extremely hyped for the expansions really leaning into The parts of the game I found the most fun. As far as I can tell the expansions might as well be called "Ship poo poo" and "Hope your colonies are profitable because we're about to tax the gently caress out of them"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Mortismal's quick breakdown of the patch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnG05u390n0

My first impressions have been that having only run with 1 officer I haven't seen any problems with playing out combat the way I'm used to. Enemies seem a lot easier to hit, have less HP, and Ulfar is basically exploding everything he looks at. Playing on normal, it feels like a regular game's normal and not Owlcat's standard.

On the subject of VO, I can agree that wanting to record every single line is too much. What really matters is hearing the random character banter, and when you have the direct, personal conversations with your party members on the bridge. Also, every single time Abelard introduces you it needs to be fully voiced with orchestral backing.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
While I normally do not really care about VA, I believe every single line from Pasqal should be voiced. He is the Omnissiah’s bestest boy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pasqal is the best. also a super mega ultra heretic. I followed his advice most of the time when he piped up about colony poo poo and everything he's about is a terrible idea that's going to get us all murdered. Yeah let's have the strange computer that totally isn't using the warp or an abominable intelligence plot warp routes for us. This totally won't create the first common cause between the mechanicus, administratum, Inquisition, ecclesiarchy and navigator houses in 12,000 years of Imperial history.

"Listen, the cog guy says it's a good idea and he's got rank on all y'all when it comes to this stuff. He wouldn't give us bad advice."

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Are any of the romances relatively well written?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

a7m2 posted:

Are any of the romances relatively well written?

I liked my platonic relationship with eldar waifu. Not really the norm for rpg romances.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

I liked my platonic relationship with eldar waifu. Not really the norm for rpg romances.

That sounds interesting. I've started a dogmatic character but I'm aiming to play them as more of a pragmatist. Will your alignment influence the romancability options?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
How's the co-op?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

a7m2 posted:

That sounds interesting. I've started a dogmatic character but I'm aiming to play them as more of a pragmatist. Will your alignment influence the romancability options?

I think the only one that's a hard no is chaos, which will make several companions leave at some point. But from a roleplaying perspective a dogmatic character is going to have a hard time justifying having a xenos in their party, let alone treating them with enough respect to connect with them.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I believe positive results on several eldar events require a minimum threshold of iconoclasm.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Typical Pubbie posted:

How's the co-op?

It's just for combat. Second player is not present till party members are there to control. They don't have their own characters but control some of the party members. They'll be able to get their own character only after prologue when mercenaries are available. So don't imagine it being anything like BG3.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Janissary Hop posted:

I think the only one that's a hard no is chaos, which will make several companions leave at some point. But from a roleplaying perspective a dogmatic character is going to have a hard time justifying having a xenos in their party, let alone treating them with enough respect to connect with them.
Counterpoint: the Rogue Trader has the 'I do what the gently caress I want!!' note from "The big guy," and as such is entitled to consort with xenos.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nessus posted:

Counterpoint: the Rogue Trader has the 'I do what the gently caress I want!!' note from "The big guy," and as such is entitled to consort with xenos.

That's true, but consorting usually extends to letting them help kill things for you, not making a lot of choices to improve their emotional wellbeing and trying to right the wrongs inflicted upon them by other humans.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Let's be real, basically all of Illy's problems come from other Eldar, both before and after you meet her.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Nessus posted:

Being authorized to do something is a lot different from actually doing it in practice, even if the authorization comes from throne daddy himself. Everyone knows you're authorized to have an eldar waifu, but it doesn't stop the inquisitor from threatening to jail you or the dogmatic trader from threatening to burn you or your own citizens and nobles from recoiling in horror.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Rapid-fire is useless now. I'm hitting my teammates even when they're well out of the red zone and Controlled Shot is on.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Eediot Jedi posted:

Then I decided I couldn't be arsed respeccing, equipping my whole party to test combat anyhow.

Good patch in theory! Lots of fixes and changes I am excited by. Wish I could give more a poo poo!

I respeced Ulfar and instantly regretted it after clicking approx 15 thousand buttons to get him back to lvl 45. Didn't bother with the other ones.

Then went to kill the Space Marines and Lord of Change and it was still pretty trivial. The Lord of Change had 6000 hp so I assumed there was a gimmick to the fight. The gimmick turned out to be overwhelming bolter fire.

It's feels like everyone is operating on different scales. Bad guy has 6000 hp and hits for 4-6 damage, sometimes in a big hit 40. My dudes have like 100 hp and burst fire for 500+ damage multiple times a round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Noooo my little robot men! Does this mean no battle tech sequel?

That's terrible news. Battletech was great, I had just started a new career mode this week.