Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ijyt posted:

I regret to inform you that the bugs are sentient.

frankly, i find the idea of a bug that thinks offensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Lol I had some dude being a douche in a 4 player game, just way more friendly fire than usual but we were letting it slide. Then we went to extract and he killed the 3 of us before boarding the extract, so I quickly.managed to kick him before the game ended. Hope he enjoyed wasting 20 mins and getting nothing for it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SES Panther of the State here! First wave at Malevelon Creek!

Don't read too much into the steam reviews. Most of the negative steam reviews are about the login/matchmaking issues entirely caused by server overloads. The games actual netcode and play experience is smooth as silk - there's very few playability issues. The core gameplay is amazing, which is why the game blew up in popularity in the first place.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I feel is a little weird is not being able to spawn with any support weapons, even the smaller ones like the machine guns, especially when support weapons are the only way you can ever kill certain enemy types outside of landing a stratagem on them.

So you can end up in situations where the team keeps dying and losing the only way to fight back and dies again.

It would be fine if primaries could do meaningful damage to the glowing weakspots though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Section Z posted:

It also means I am no longer living in suspense for "But what if they have a light or heavy(when armor works) Engineering suit!?" for the moment, because now I am pretty sure that means it is only more mediums with that. So I can save my coins for when yesterday's engineering kit suit comes back.

Engineering suit is my bae, and I might have to get the Superstore version if it looks good just for a change of fashion. I haven't gotten much use out of the others, really. I thought the suit with extra stims would be handy, but I don't know that I've run out of stimpacks more than once or twice, between supply drops and explosions that kill me flat-out. The extra grenades have come in handy multiple times, though.

I did use the light armor suit that reduces your detection range when I was doing solo Challenging missions this weekend, but that's a bit of a niche. I don't think I've tried out the extra throwing range ones, though.

I'm not sure whether to be annoyed or relieved that there are so few different armor types. It's a lot less pressure to keep up with the Superstore suits -- I'm just waiting for that light or heavy Engineering suit, or maybe another light armor with something interesting on it.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing I feel is a little weird is not being able to spawn with any support weapons, even the smaller ones like the machine guns, especially when support weapons are the only way you can ever kill certain enemy types outside of landing a stratagem on them.

So you can end up in situations where the team keeps dying and losing the only way to fight back and dies again.

It would be fine if primaries could do meaningful damage to the glowing weakspots though.

this is actually one nice thing about fighting robots; aside from the literal tanks all of them are actually pretty weak vs. primaries if you are hitting their weakpoints.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My favorite is dropping on 3 chargers.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dyz posted:

The triple dip.....

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dyz posted:

"We'll drop in this one area that DOES NOT say "Enemy presence""

There was, in fact, enemy presence.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The worst is accidentally dropping in range of a jammer.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dropping in front of a shield bot got me a few times

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They really need to revamp some of the weapon balance, i assume that will come once the servers stop burning down. The breaker should not be the be all end all mid to close range gun that is. With better damage, penetration, and weak spot bonuses the DMR and other guns could be fun and good to use.

What I also think is the stalwart should be a main weapon, not a calldown that takes up that slot. both MGs suffer from just not being worth a stratagem slot on harder difficulties, and as a result trash clearing is mostly accomplished via other methods.

Speaking of, my buddies and I finally got the group to Hard and its a lot of fun, kinda sucks the best samples are locked behind level 7 difficulty and not level 6, not certain everyone that plays will be able to manage that high of difficulty. I've been ahead of the curve with my group but it seems like hard is the real big jump in difficulty where you can learn how to handle the massive enemies and deal with stuff like stalker nests and mortars being spawned in the areas near objectives.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Buff flamethrower! Give it some sort of stun/constant interrupt vs bugs, Arrowcowards

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Section Z posted:

It also means I am no longer living in suspense for "But what if they have a light or heavy(when armor works) Engineering suit!?" for the moment, because now I am pretty sure that means it is only more mediums with that. So I can save my coins for when yesterday's engineering kit suit comes back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1atr98s/updated_all_known_armor_sets_stats_prices_as_of/

I was just looking, and it looks like there IS a light armor Engineering suit in rotation!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The real bottlebeck is the common samples and you can just do a couple 8 or 9 difficulties and look for the buttplug rock for those final samples.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Man the longer missions on the next-to-last difficulty get ridiculously intense in a heartbeat, especially since my ship is limping around with only the first set of upgrades across the board. I can't wait to see what the final difficulty does to spawnrates. Sample acquisition rate is suffering.

Dandywalken posted:

Buff flamethrower! Give it some sort of stun/constant interrupt vs bugs, Arrowcowards
Each tic of being set on fire or taking damage from fire should be filling a stagger bar.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

CC on the flamethrower would be nice. This is more far-fetched but it would also be cool if the AI forced the enemies to try to path around the fire on the ground so you could actually use it as true area denial

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Make flamethrower cause bugs to shy away from you Alien: Isolation style but not the bots because they don't give a gently caress about being set on fire.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That's part of the fun. Landing too close to an enemy nest or patrol, and then having to scramble to get heavier equipment dropped down.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Remember when this game had matchmaking?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Malevelon Creek remembers

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I love the game but my Steam review was also negative, because I had just gotten off doing my 60th captcha they were requiring me to do in order to wait to play.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

I love the game but my Steam review was also negative, because I had just gotten off doing my 60th captcha they were requiring me to do in order to wait to play.

Wait, is this actually a thing? Yesterday when I queued I never had anything like that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GlyphGryph posted:

Automaton spotted, right right down left right down

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

Never read steam reviews for anything

A lot of people on the official discord got really mad they were asked to stop spamming every channel with Fs every time the servers went down so they went to review bomb on steam.

This is on top of the already mentioned "we thought 250k concurrent users was shooting for the moon and were not prepared for triple that problem.

JBP posted:

I read a negative steam review that said the game stole it's music from Spider-Man 2 so I uninstalled it.

No, it stole it from Pacific Rim.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I finally got my first Titan EAT mouth kill :hellyeah: shame I am still a barely average disaster on hard with occasional moments of "gently caress this, orbital laser"

Phenotype posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1atr98s/updated_all_known_armor_sets_stats_prices_as_of/

I was just looking, and it looks like there IS a light armor Engineering suit in rotation!

Something to look forward to then! Even if I can't wait until armor starts working again so heavy does more than make people sprinting nonstop mad you exist.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

wilderthanmild posted:

Wait, is this actually a thing? Yesterday when I queued I never had anything like that.

Most people don't get any. The people who do get stuff don't usually get them as bad. But man it was loving miserable.

CuddleCryptid posted:

No, no, I eventually passed! I swear I-

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Getting heavy armor functional is probably going to help a lot in terms of making fighting automatons more bearable and make running around in light armor much riskier in general.

I also hope that armor rating also has a positive impact on flinch suffered when you take a shot (especially from automatons) such that the heavier the armor, the less your aim is thrown off the reticle.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

CuddleCryptid posted:

They should just auto-destroy the ships of the people with the Top 3 scores in Strategem Hero, it's clear that they are automaton commies with their perfect scores.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

can’t believe people would leave negative reviews on a straight up unplayable game

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I drop my team directly onto objectives like ATC towers. We're called Helldivers, for liberty's sake!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Thom and the Heads posted:

Remember when this game had matchmaking?

Nope

I legit have four hours in the game in Steam and have played two missions. The rest has been just staring at black screens and queues.

Excited for today’s patch!!!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

So i have a decent handle on patrols and alarms, but how exactly do they work?

For automatons i think it is always the low level troopers that do it, and you can see them raise their arm and fire the flare. Is it only the rifle armed troopers or is it also the sword and rocket guys?

For bugs I'm not sure which ones actually can summon a breach. I know its not just the tiniest bugs but is it everything not a charger or bile spitter?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Theyve got 360k people on discord basically F5-ing the Announcements channel and they've dropped two, both fluff CM announcements - ballsy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Owl Inspector posted:

can’t believe people would leave negative reviews on a straight up unplayable game

I guess my 4 hours of play last night must have been a hallucination!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I can't wait to see what other shenanigans they end up coming up with for this game but I agree with getting all the stuff that's already in in a good state like armour working, the flamer being useful, etc.

I do wonder if they'll ever add in flying enemies.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Owl Inspector posted:

Yeah the gameplay is fantastic but let's not pretend like the game largely being unplayable for the first week (at least if you live in the US and don't stay up until 1AM to play) doesn't warrant a negative review from people who bought it but can't play it. Every time a game has a hosed up launch like this you get people begging in the steam forum to not "review bomb" but, like, this is a bad launch.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Soul Glo posted:

Nope

I legit have four hours in the game in Steam and have played two missions. The rest has been just staring at black screens and queues.

Excited for today’s patch!!!
I was excited for this game and bought it and spent most of my 2 hour refund window without even getting into the game a single time so I refunded and will possibly rebuy in the future. It's a shame because I hear such good things about it, but it's really a disaster of a launch. Probably the worst I've ever seen. At least in the previous worst launch I've ever experienced, Diablo 3's launch, I could get in some of the time.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Spudd posted:

I do wonder if they'll ever add in flying enemies.

we've got bugs and bots, the logical next step is birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

I guess my 4 hours of play last night must have been a hallucination!

You should give it a thumbs up on Steam. Don't let the people whose experience has been wildly different from yours win, soldier!