Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's just a pastiche. While east asian influences are obviously the strongest, and the setting purposefully veers away from most European influences (that most fantasy gets really dominated by), the creators didn't really set any hard rules for themselves. The Earth Kingdom has chinese, korean, and even arab influences at times. The water tribe veers most notably to cajuns for the lost swamp tribe, but also the Northern Water Tribe has a little of Venice, and Legend of Korra's reconstructed Southern Water Tribe even gave me some Japanese vibes. One of Sokka's trademark weapons is Australian for some reason.

Alternately, you could argue that there are a lot of connections between the Inuit and Asia, since they settled both sides of the Bering Sea. Easy to do, seafaring people and an easy chain of islands to follow. There's also a people in northern Japan who are very similar to the Inuit, but there's not really any known relation between the Ainu and the Inuit/Aleut/Yupik peoples.

And like I said, while I'm pretty sure it's mostly just convergent design, there's occasional Viking vibes from the Southern Water Tribe warriors, mostly in the longboats, which make a lot of sense for coastal raiding, and the Fire Nation's geography is apparently based on Iceland. And then there's the nomads that are basically hippies, even giving their newborn child a hippie af name. Quite a few elements are mixes of Eastern and Western themes and motifs, with Zuko having an episode that's basically a Western showdown (of course, the cross pollination between those and samurai movies is well known) and the Avatar's deal somewhat resembling a superhero more than anything, even coming out of the ice like Captain America. (And Zuko even has his own masked alter ego)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Been making my way through Craig of the Creek looking at episodes I never saw (basically everything after season 1) and it keeps being a delight. The easiest way to describe it is if Recess was modernized and not constrained by the school setting. The kid cliques with their weird kid logic reigns supreme and the contraptions are outlandish but never impossible. They also do the ongoing lore thing well too where it's never bogged down by it and if it's missed, it's not going to ruin anything. (I'm only on s2 fwiw.)

Its last season is season 5 and the episode order was cut which is a shame, but 5 seasons and a movie is a good run for a kid's cartoon. The spinoff is only getting the one unfortunately, but it was also meant for the preschool demo which is tough.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation/status/1757449557510959478

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is this literally the first Disney+ original show that that isn't based on an existing Disney IP aside from movies that went directly to Disney+ during covid?

I guess they must have at least had some live action kids shows that I just can't think of off the top of my head.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I feel bad for the creators trying to do something original knowing that basically every review of this is gonna compare it to Wakanda/Black Panther.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That's the second afro-futurist series Disney has put out. This came out a little while ago:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14866860/

I assume these were all greenlit following the success of Black Panther but it's cool it allows for a different look in animation. Although Iwaju looks closer to typical disney feature rendering than I would have liked, was hoping for more stylized stuff.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

mystes posted:

Is this literally the first Disney+ original show that that isn't based on an existing Disney IP aside from movies that went directly to Disney+ during covid?

I guess they must have at least had some live action kids shows that I just can't think of off the top of my head.

I can think of a few, but only because you specified Disney IP. Benedict Society (before it got memory holed) and Percy Jackson are both book adaptations.

There's also a bunch of nonfiction stuff, if you want to count that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ccs posted:

That's the second afro-futurist series Disney has put out. This came out a little while ago:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14866860/

I assume these were all greenlit following the success of Black Panther but it's cool it allows for a different look in animation. Although Iwaju looks closer to typical disney feature rendering than I would have liked, was hoping for more stylized stuff.

Oh, I assumed it was a spin-off from that! Like, each of the anthology episodes was a reasonable pilot/proof of concept for a series, and they’d picked one to run with.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i was doing research on music and I just found out that Mainframe's two founders (Reboot and Beast Wars) were responsible for the music video for Dire Strait's "Money For Nothing", the CGI parts.

Wild.

I found out something similar before that, which is that the director of the 1990 TMNT movie, Steve Barron, cut his teeth with some of MTV's big early videos-Toto's "Africa", The Human League's "Don't You Want Me", a-ha's "Take On Me" and Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Money for Nothing guys cameo in Reboot at one point and get made fun of.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X-Men ‘97 drops March 20th

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pv3Ss8o9gGQ

https://twitter.com/kaymaldo/status/1758132118327034278

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 15, 2024

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm probably always going to be mad about the abrupt way that they ended The Owl House, but it's sweet they had Luz and Amity front and centre in their valentine's day chibi special. Also it was nice they brought back Star and Marco, too! Honestly I'm pretty surprised how much I've been enjoying the chibi stuff in general.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://x.com/frankussy/status/1758236198080848074?s=12&t=SK_XXKV1xelYi_vRGIIrMg

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like how this looks. A bit more appealing from a movement and color perspective than the original, but not a lot more appealing. The intentionally stilted animation and somewhat muddy colors.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New ATLA clip:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=z4YKGVwd8pI

The Bending effects look decent at least

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Larryb posted:

New ATLA clip:

This looks fine. It's about what I expected. A fire effect placed over live action footage with minimal budget to have them interact or integrate well.

It basically looks like the bending is sat "in front" of the screen.

But that's fine for what it is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Better than the movie at least (but that’s probably one of the lowest bars you can clear)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've liked the other trailers and clips but this one is easily the most impressive one they've released so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEmlE9Ianuo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Avatar, we’re getting a Roku novel it seems:

https://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Last-...WKK&tag=snx1-20

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Larryb posted:

New ATLA clip:

Why are the earth kingdom soldiers European?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
because woke has won.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Look, I'm sure it must be there's only a handful of Asian folks out there who want to be extras, okay??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Watched a bit of the ATLA remake and it’s…fine. Not Cowboy Bebop level bad but not One Piece level great either.

As you can expect from an 8 episode show it condenses a lot of the plot down (we jump straight to the Kyoshi Warriors in Episode 2 and the third episode moves the Mechanist and Teo to Omashu and merges their plot with the Jet story, which actually works surprisingly well)

They replace Sokka’s sexism with him just generally coming across as an rear end in a top hat at times and therefore still having room to grow (Suki gets a bit more development as well which makes me think they might be elevating her status sooner than the cartoon did, assuming this lasts long enough that is)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 22, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Larryb posted:

Watched a bit of the ATLA remake and it’s…fine. Not Cowboy Bebop level bad but not One Piece level great either.

As you can expect from an 8 episode show it condenses a lot of the plot down (we jump straight to the Kyoshi Warriors in Episode 2 and the third episode moves the Mechanist and Teo to Omashu and merges their plot with the Jet story, which actually works surprisingly well)

That all sounds fine. Moving the Mechanist to Omashu even works with it's fall leading to the Fire Nation having the massive blimps we see in Book Three.

Whilst it's only 8 episodes the running time of each means its actually got a total running time a little bit longer than Book One of the cartoon.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

PriorMarcus posted:

That all sounds fine. Moving the Mechanist to Omashu even works with it's fall leading to the Fire Nation having the massive blimps we see in Book Three.

Whilst it's only 8 episodes the running time of each means its actually got a total running time a little bit longer than Book One of the cartoon.

Which makes it all the more weird it feels slow and yet less dense and characters feel less well-formed. Maybe it's the tiring one hour episode format.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Someone I know pointed out that it's harder to suspend your disbelief that a teenager could be making military decisions when they're in live action than in animation and I'm inclined to agree

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Halfway through the ATLA LA remake and, look, they made some good changes. There were some plot holes that were filled in, some stuff that I would have expectedfrom season 2 have been moved to season one because while they're iconic, the showrunners are probably worried about fitting all of season 2 into season 2, so overall mostly positive, but...

Bumi.

Look how they massacred my boy.

After actually making me really like both Jet AND the Machinist - which I never thought I'd say - the show does what the fire nation never managed to achieve. They murdered King Bumi.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One minor change that Shyamalan did that I think these guys should've (although there's a solid shot with the lukewarm reception this is getting that it won't matter) also stuck to was not having the comet coming the same year Aang is unthawed. If they do end up doing books 2 and 3, these kids are gonna age out of the parts so goddamn quick...

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1760770595942240476?t=acPaeSTfI7g1tmHziDn3DQ&s=19

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Gaz-L posted:

One minor change that Shyamalan did that I think these guys should've (although there's a solid shot with the lukewarm reception this is getting that it won't matter) also stuck to was not having the comet coming the same year Aang is unthawed. If they do end up doing books 2 and 3, these kids are gonna age out of the parts so goddamn quick...

I finished the season today, at the end, Ozai and a fire monk are at a model of the planet and comet, with the monk describing that they figured out the calculations for the comet, Ozai asks when and monk response "soon".
Which is perfectly fine because you put that ticking bomb over season 3, if there is a season 3.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven’t finished the season yet but while they removed Sokka’s sexism did they keep Pakku‘s (the northern waterbending master) intact? If not, how did they handle Katara’s arc in those episodes then?

Also is the flashback to Ozai scarring Zuko’s face still there somewhere?

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

I haven’t finished the season yet but while they removed Sokka’s sexism did they keep Pakku‘s (the northern waterbending master) intact? If not, how did they handle Katara’s arc in those episodes then?

Also is the flashback to Ozai scarring Zuko’s face still there somewhere?

Yes they kept the north tribe sexism in.

Yep they kept the agni Kai too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Miching Mallecho posted:

Yes they kept the north tribe sexism in.

Yep they kept the agni Kai too.

The latter is moved to the episode adapting The Blue Spirit it seems (which works pretty well honestly)

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

The latter is moved to the episode adapting The Blue Spirit it seems (which works pretty well honestly)

Honestly I liked the season overall, definitely pacing issues, sometimes it felt some episodes were rushing and others a little too slow.

I think the reactions overall online are being too harsh. The only casting choices that felt wrong, for me, Danny Pudi as the mechinist.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, overall it seems like some genuine effort was made with this (Aang even SOUNDS like his cartoon counterpart at times and I like how they expanded on Suki a bit) and provided Netflix doesn’t shitcan the show I’m at least invested enough to want to keep watching

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

Junpei posted:

Someone I know pointed out that it's harder to suspend your disbelief that a teenager could be making military decisions when they're in live action than in animation and I'm inclined to agree

Yeah, I felt the same way after watching one of the early trailers:

koolkal posted:

Watching a cartoon 12 year old boy fight a war: endearing
Watching a real 12 year old boy fight a war: uncanny

I tried watching the series but it's just waaaayyy too weird.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I already didn't like seeing that Aang was kind of a poo poo dad in Korra, I don't need to see it happen in real time.

Okay I'm kidding (well, half-kidding) but I really don't want more Avatar stuff. To me it's like Star Wars, where every successive entry/product just takes more of the mystique out of the setting.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
As long as it's animated content I'll take it, sure fine, but all of these ATLA projects have release dates years and years from now so they might as well not exist to me.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched the first episode of ATLA live action and thought it was half decent, and apparently its the worst of the bunch. Granted I had low expectations but I was curious about it. I sort of hope that despite some very lukewarm reviews that it hits the viewing targets Netflix cares about to actually renews shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It gets better as it goes along, yeah (the second episode is particularly good despite them changing Sokka’s role a bit)

I also find it interesting that they brought Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai in early (they all seem particularly well cast too). Hope the show lasts long enough for us to get to Toph