Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I don't know I'm reading The Ice Cream man right now. It's about an Ice Cream Man named Rick who is also a demigod of chaos and misery. It leans into surrealism now and then. Unfortunately the issue I just got to is entirely en Español and I'm gonna have to type all the dialogue into google translate.

Please tell me he looks like Clint Howard at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I don't know I'm reading The Ice Cream man right now. It's about an Ice Cream Man named Rick who is also a demigod of chaos and misery. It leans into surrealism now and then. Unfortunately the issue I just got to is entirely en Español and I'm gonna have to type all the dialogue into google translate.

Helado

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Part time

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Can Sony do the biggest dumbass move / gently caress you and do a Ben Reilly movie? That'd be some quality laughs.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Why don't they just do a completely new universe every five years with comic books? That way you don't have decades of old, bizarre stories adversely effecting what stories you can tell now, and the super nerds would be able to learn the whole universe inside and out without having to read 80+ years worth of old books. It's just more humane to the customers.

Both major publishers have tried this multiple times and it makes every problem you have suggested it will solve infinitely worse. Do not underestimate how bad nerds can make literally everything.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably part of the secret sauce of the boom period was that they weren't constantly resetting the continuity. In fact flirting with it with muliverses and all that horseshit directly correlated with the crash.

Now granted it's not sustainable indefinitely, but making 30 super hero movies a year or whatever was never going to be sustainable :ssh:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Light Gun Man posted:

Can Sony do the biggest dumbass move / gently caress you and do a Ben Reilly movie? That'd be some quality laughs.

This would no poo poo be the most amazing thing they could do. Just have three straight up Spiderman movies and at the end have Tom Holland swing in and go "holy poo poo you're a non identical clone of me, what the gently caress?"

They will never do this tho

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I would watch this, provided he actually travels the world and the producers don't insist the writers find a reason to keep him in the same place for four seasons.

Watch as he travels the world from the vast wild forest of Canada near Vancouver, to the untamed forest of appalachians, to the dense dark forests of Europe, to the old dark forest of Europe, and the green lush forests of New Zealand. After that he will visit the grand rock quarries near Vancouver, than the great American rock quarries, and the ancient rock quarries of the old country, and stumble across the new rock quarries of New Zealand. But what about beaches you say, will first he'll visit the vancouver beaches and then...

On and I just checked and vancouver has a Chinatown so he might also end up in China at some stage.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
/\/\/\/\ lol

XeeD posted:

Please tell me he looks like Clint Howard at least.

No he looks more like an evil J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
"Troi Suffers Endless Sexual Harassment

20 hours ago

Poor Troi! Even in the 24th century women still gets treated pretty badly. Well, I guess one woman. It's really just her. Crusher had a few flings, but they were always just consentual relationships. She was never ogled by aliens, humans, weird telepaths, etc.... maybe cause she was a doctor? So while watching all the TNG episodes I noticed this pattern. Downright unacceptable behavior!!! To be fair, each situation was unique (although Picard should have asked Troi is she was comfortable with Riva creeping on her like a mute sex pervert) and was story related. You see, the sexual component was Troi's character's "function". i.e. most people laugh at how Worf gets beat up or offers suggestions that get turned down. 1. Worf getting beat up is to display how "strong" the villain is at that time. You're supposed to say "wow! If that thing beat up Worf, then...." and Worf's suggestions are often turned down because we must explore all options in the story... again you ask "why can't they just attack it" and on this topic I could also make a reel of Riker asks dumb questions... Riker is the layman. He's not an expert in any particular area so they often have him ask the "dumb" question like, "Data, what if we just go to warp right now to escape?" and to that Data answers, "That would be incredibly inadvisable. If we went to warp the stress from the tractor beam would tear the ship apart instantly" or something like that. So Riker would be asking the question the audience might be asking. Making him appear incredibly stupid. So if an episode had a sexual component often Troi was usually involved (unless it was loving a ghost). And most crumby encounters are by non-starfleet characters. I don't know. You tell me what you think. I think The Enterprise was a pretty hostile working environment for Troi and her skills as a therapist weren't taken seriously enough."

And you people say there's no content on the Patreon.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

mike is finally chasing his bliss. all content will be tng commentary and/or trivia from here on out

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

mike is finally chasing his bliss. all content will be tng commentary and/or trivia from here on out

Waiting for two years from now when he's run out of all the actual reality based tng commentary possible and his obsessive detail orientated mind leads further and further into weird imagined conspiracies while the rest of the RLM crew all get increasingly worried about his mental state.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Why don't they just do a completely new universe every five years with comic books? That way you don't have decades of old, bizarre stories adversely effecting what stories you can tell now, and the super nerds would be able to learn the whole universe inside and out without having to read 80+ years worth of old books. It's just more humane to the customers.

I was looking up some stuff around the madame web character the other day and found out its canon that peter parkers parents were super spies recruited by nick fury in to shield and died to a supervillain, comics are real stupid

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

a real rude dude posted:

I was looking up some stuff around the madame web character the other day and found out its canon that peter parkers parents were super spies recruited by nick fury in to shield and died to a supervillain, comics are real stupid

Yeah, see? In my continuity Peter Parker's parents wouldn't even have names!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
sperm donor and egg bearer

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

a real rude dude posted:

comics are real stupid

Like soap operas, when you around long enough and have to come up with enough content it starts to get increasingly stupid. Depending on the quality of the writers, sometimes surprisingly quickly. And yeah sometimes they just start stupid.

Smart choice, it saves a lot of time.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Like soap operas, when you around long enough and have to come up with enough content it starts to get increasingly stupid. Depending on the quality of the writers, sometimes surprisingly quickly. And yeah sometimes they just start stupid.

Smart choice, it saves a lot of time.

This reminded me of a soap opera that was set on not-cuba that started with hot lady rescuing this amnesiac hot guy that literally fell out of the sky.

When they needed to finish it they came up with the story that hot guy was a time traveling spy trying to prevent not-fidel from coming into power which he failed at. Anyway the fun thing for me is that it was a major flagship soap opera from the major open broadcaster in my country, but they built the science lab set using whatever pocket money the intern had, 10 minutes before the shooting started

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Crescent Wrench posted:

And you people say there's no content on the Patreon.

I'd watch a video of Plinkett saying this, followed by another thirty minutes of him talking about black sheets of paper.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I was 350 posts behind and I don't think I missed anything important

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

And I'm ok with that

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mega64 posted:

I'd watch a video of Plinkett saying this, followed by another thirty minutes of him talking about black sheets of paper.

watchthedoor

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I have said in the past they should adapt New Universe comics! I was one of the extremely few comic book dorks who liked that whole thing lol.

Gimmie a Justice who is hallucinating constantly and vaporizing people he believes to be evildoers.

Or some DP7 freaks with really lovely powers like the chick who absorbs liquid and becomes fat.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

priznat posted:

Or some DP7 freaks with really lovely powers like the chick who absorbs liquid and becomes fat.

... like literally everyone?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Space Kablooey posted:

... like literally everyone?

No she can suck the moisture out of the air or becomes huge when it rains on her!

But then discovered she could shoot water out of her mouth like a firehouse. She was not one of the main characters but still.

It was interesting in a “what if normal people got powers” and most of them got put into a kind of mental hospital where they formed different gangs like a prison. Then they all got drafted when Pittsburgh got “nuked” (actually was a super powered person blowing it up)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
thats not edgy enough for todays consumer, what if she shot cum out of her mouth like a firehose

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1759948716004233704

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6frgnqTo1eM

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Absolutely loving not

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

finally somebody is trying to launch a biopic cinematic universe.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I really like the Beatles. My favorite member is Harpo.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The same movie shot 4x from slightly different perspectives hell yeah

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

a real rude dude posted:

Someone once said don't let continuity get in the way of telling a good story.

I'd probably argue that once the influx of fandom that didn't really give a poo poo about the source material started flooding in, anything beyond "Superman is an alien who flies and wears costume" and "Peter Parker bit by a spider" didn't matter to them. The superhero character has less of a history and more of a myth or 'type' to them.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Frank Frank posted:

I hope it's like one of those angle features on a DVD, but the tech is good enough now thanks to streaming that you can click a button and cut to what a different Beatle is doing right now.

I don't want to watch obviously inaccurate scenes of John being an rear end in a top hat for no reason, because that would never happen, so I'm going to hit a button and see what Paul is up to at this moment.

Paul isn't being a whining child about John being better than him? God, does this man NOT understand anything about the Beatles?! I'm going to see what George is up to!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Frank Frank posted:

Beatles Rashomon

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I hope it's like one of those angle features on a DVD, but the tech is good enough now thanks to streaming that you can click a button and cut to what a different Beatle is doing right now.

I don't want to watch obviously inaccurate scenes of John being an rear end in a top hat for no reason, because that would never happen, so I'm going to hit a button and see what Paul is up to at this moment.

Paul isn't being a whining child about John being better than him? God, does this man NOT understand anything about the Beatles?! I'm going to see what George is up to!

Did you just accidentally invent Night Trap? Keep an eye on John Lennon

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Did you just accidentally invent Night Trap? Keep an eye on John Lennon

A Hard Day's Night Trap.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I understand why Queen and Freddie Mercury makes a good subject for a bioptic since Queen ruled musically even if the editor for that poo poo movie was a random number generator

But ain't nobody give a gently caress about the Beatles to warrant FOUR movies lmao

This is Barbie all over again. It isn't well made movie, it's the subject! Hungry Hungry Hippos going to be huge because other property was!!!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

more chance of a good hungry hungry hippos movie than a Ringo biopic

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1759945107174777035?t=Bz7zue81UrC-zPx32_GBFQ&s=19

Blanchett as Lillith? What's next, Dave Bautista as Brick?

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
The blue hippo is hospitalized with a stroke from early onset diabetes, inspiring the green hippo to make a lifestyle change, accompanied by the proud sassy pink hippo and the shy antisocial yellow hippo on a coming of age roadtrip across the american midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

KakerMix posted:

I understand why Queen and Freddie Mercury makes a good subject for a bioptic since Queen ruled musically even if the editor for that poo poo movie was a random number generator

But ain't nobody give a gently caress about the Beatles to warrant FOUR movies lmao

This is Barbie all over again. It isn't well made movie, it's the subject! Hungry Hungry Hippos going to be huge because other property was!!!
I love The Beatles and watched all 8 hours of that Get Back documentary from a couple years ago, but even I'm not excited about the prospect of 4 movies about each individual member. I mean, I'll probably watch them anyway out of curiosity, but I wouldn't say I'm excited about them.