Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Torquemada posted:

Tell me you picked her up by saying 'Live with me if you want to cum'.

No but that would have been a lot better.

I think I actually said “hey I’m having people over to watch Star Trek and drink cocktails tomorrow, want to join us?”

We did have an Aliens watch party later, ie last fall:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Are there any generally successful techniques to survive xeno encounters? Other than blasting them?

Or just "The Newt"?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

Are there any generally successful techniques to survive xeno encounters? Other than blasting them?

Or just "The Newt"?

Nuke the site from orbit.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Xenomrph posted:

Newt the site from orbit.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Be impregnated by a facehugger

Or be an android

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Be impregnated by a facehugger

Or be an android

Username / post combo

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

redshirt posted:

Are there any generally successful techniques to survive xeno encounters?

I understand the words, just not in that order.

Seriously though, one of the themes of the Aliens movies is people mostly don't survive. Mostly. Even the ones who live are all kinds of hosed up afterward.

I would say the tenets of an Alien move are:
1. You never know what you're walking into
2. You never have enough equipment / supplies
3. The xenos always find a way to gently caress up your plans or get into the worst possible place to be (for you)
4. (almost) Everyone dies

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Seriously though, one of the themes of the Aliens movies is people mostly don't survive. Mostly. Even the ones who live are all kinds of hosed up afterward.

3. The xenos always find a way to gently caress up your plans or get into the worst possible place to be (for you)

Folks haven't tried much other than hiding and shooting.

The Xenos show a strong preference for heat and humidity; what about freezing them?
How about sonic weapons? A frequency that causes them pain.

This is why we need to bring one back to Earth. To study!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

redshirt posted:

:hmmyes: Would you like to apply to the WeylandYutani Biowea.... errrr... Research Division?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

redshirt posted:

Or just "The Newt"?

As documented in thread favorite Labyrinth, there are degrees of survival. Your chances, if you wish to call them that, will slightly increase if you have a reproductive system. I won't say more.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I don't think people really get a choice to survive a xeno encounter, the best is going out on your terms like in the miner fan film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUMsMaVhnQs

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

redshirt posted:

Folks haven't tried much other than hiding and shooting.

The Xenos show a strong preference for heat and humidity; what about freezing them?
How about sonic weapons? A frequency that causes them pain.

The hive on LV426 was notoriously cold, wasn't it? You can see the breath condensation from the Queen, and the resin used to cocoon Newt was freezing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Doctor Zero posted:

How can they cut the power, man, they're animals?!?!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

The hive on LV426 was notoriously cold, wasn't it? You can see the breath condensation from the Queen, and the resin used to cocoon Newt was freezing.

The opposite; the Queen, her eggs, and the cocooned colonists were all near the atmosphere processor’s primary heat exchangers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The opposite; the Queen, her eggs, and the cocooned colonists were all near the atmosphere processor’s primary heat exchangers.

Yeah they exchanged the heat for cold

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
earning a predator's respect notably boosts your xenomorph survival rate

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

How can they cut the power, man, they're animals?!?!

I know there's a shitload of iconic lines in this movie but goddamn were all his deliveries perfect.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What about electrified fences? Surely the Xenos don't like getting nasty shocks.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

lol the new predator comic may have just brought back Dutch's brother.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I think the guys from PIG were onto something; just keep attaching high-yield explosive charges to livestock (or pirates) until the problem solves itself.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Azubah posted:

lol the new predator comic may have just brought back Dutch's brother.

That’s loving incredible.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah they exchanged the heat for cold

‘s hot as hell in here.

Yeah man, but it’s a dry heat!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
IIRC they used jets of nitrogen to torture Xenos in Aliens Resurrection.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vampire Panties posted:

IIRC they used jets of nitrogen to torture Xenos in Aliens Resurrection.

Correct, and one of the Aliens uses it to murder a random soldier when all the Aliens escape.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I'm sure they don't *like* cold, but Xenos can survive in vacuum and I have it on good authority that 'it is verrrry cold .... in spaaaaaaaaace.'

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

In addition to nobody hearing you scream in space, nobody can hear anyone complain about the cold either.

Shorts-and-hoodies guys remain unaffected by the cold out there, somehow.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Xenomrph posted:

Correct, and one of the Aliens uses it to murder a random soldier when all the Aliens escape.

You know, that movie had a lot of problems, but the xenos slaughtering one of their own to escape was loving brilliant.

On a related note I have discovered the key to enjoying AvP 2. I realized that AvP 2 is essentially "What if Aliens and Predators fought in Dawson's Creek" and >bam< just like that it's a super fun movie.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

You know, that movie had a lot of problems, but the xenos slaughtering one of their own to escape was loving brilliant.

On a related note I have discovered the key to enjoying AvP 2. I realized that AvP 2 is essentially "What if Aliens and Predators fought in Dawson's Creek" and >bam< just like that it's a super fun movie.

They built a xenomorph top security future prison where they torture xenomorphs and never even considered one might ever get a paper cut.

In this theoretical movie sequel that does not exist.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

And if you could see the movie it had the potential to be a fun movie lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This just went up on YouTube. It’s a pretty drat sweet fanfilm, set in WWI (I have nothing to do with it. I saw it on an Aliens subreddit)

Aliens and ANZAC troops in WWI

Trust me, watch it!

https://youtu.be/h5Fnlq2T0Vg?si=7YgudukYRmKe9Yq6

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 22, 2024

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Considering how we fared against the Turks at Gallipoli, I’m sure I can guess who wins that encounter.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Turks dug too deep

e: the first shot of the ship is bad but the aliens looked pretty great, I thought

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 22, 2024

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

At least we got a public holiday out of it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That was really cool for a fan film with a presumably low budget.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm sure they don't *like* cold, but Xenos can survive in vacuum and I have it on good authority that 'it is verrrry cold .... in spaaaaaaaaace.'

Isn't this factoid a creation of the comics? I remember a line like that in Theory of Alien Propagation or whatever it was called. But we can hear the Queen breathing in Aliens, and while I concede this doesn't necessarily mean vacuum hibernation isn't possible it seems to me that the movie canon is less clear on that.

Either way though, being blown out an airlock seems like a one-way ticket to an eternity of drifting, unless she happened to come across the unluckiest space ship in history.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Mister Speaker posted:

Isn't this factoid a creation of the comics? I remember a line like that in Theory of Alien Propagation or whatever it was called. But we can hear the Queen breathing in Aliens, and while I concede this doesn't necessarily mean vacuum hibernation isn't possible it seems to me that the movie canon is less clear on that.

Either way though, being blown out an airlock seems like a one-way ticket to an eternity of drifting, unless she happened to come across the unluckiest space ship in history.

Interesting. I could have sworn Ash mentions that in Alien, but nope. Big Chap climbs back into the Narcissus' engine at the end of Alien, but that doesn't prove it can survive long in space. I always thought that vacuum survival and extended hibernation were canon Xeno traits, but I can't find reference to those in a canon source. Clearly eggs are viable for hundreds or thousands of years (the derelict was envisioned by O'Bannon to be ancient) but not the rest of the life cycle.

Regardless, yes it was in the comics.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

deoju posted:

I was impressed with how their decision to show aliens in direct sunlight turned out.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Pretty sure the Queen getting blasted out of the Sulaco in Aliens burned up on reentry to Acheron and/or died from impact.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

deoju posted:

That was really well done, given the budget. Every dollar is on screen. This is the sort of thing that looks really good on your reel when you're just starting your career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

MrMojok posted:

This just went up on YouTube. It’s a pretty drat sweet fanfilm, set in WWI (I have nothing to do with it. I saw it on an Aliens subreddit)

Aliens and ANZAC troops in WWI

Trust me, watch it!

https://youtu.be/h5Fnlq2T0Vg?si=7YgudukYRmKe9Yq6

I was 100% onboard with this till officer Full-beard tried to put on a gas mask. 0/10 historical accuracy. Trash film.

(This is a pro click, up there with Batman: Dead End)