Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Trump misses Supreme Court deadline to fight civil immunity from Jan. 6 lawsuits

TO LOL, TO LMAO, AND PERHAPS, TO EVEN LMFAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

It is the now duty of every single American that was upset by the events of January 6 to file suit against Donald Trump for mental anguish.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Accipiter posted:

It is the now duty of every single American that was upset by the events of January 6 to file suit against Donald Trump for mental anguish.

Just send me my 2 cents when the class action is over.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Clarste posted:

Just send me my 2 cents when the class action is over.

I want my pound of flesh for the grill.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

mdemone posted:

Three as far as I know. One was to a VP of Deutsche Bank.
i'm sorry. i'm sorry. i'm sorry: there were only three pairs made.
one was bought by the german crime bank that crimes constantly
another was bought by a russian man for $9k
i'm assuming the third was burned in honor of hitler?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Accipiter posted:

Guess he wasn't living in peoples' heads rent-free after all :smugdon:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

InsertPotPun posted:

i'm sorry. i'm sorry. i'm sorry: there were only three pairs made.
one was bought by the german crime bank that crimes constantly
another was bought by a russian man for $9k
i'm assuming the third was burned in honor of hitler?

The first two might be the same person, I dunno.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

the article posted:

and in Florida, U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon rejected his latest attempt to delay a deadline for pretrial motions. A tentative trial date in the classified documents case is set for May 20.
Wait, she actually did something that prevented Trump from delaying further?

Also I see it says Capitol police are suing Trump, but would they really violate the THIN BLUE LINE like that and go after the executive who was in charge of the "top cop", as news outlets weirdly like to call the AG sometimes? Don't they respect their own qualified immunity protections?
:qqsay:

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 19, 2024

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

dr_rat posted:

They could do that if you just gave them money!!!

Then why buy presents? Just give them cash.

I realize this is SA, so to explain, a component of gift giving in normal human relationships is that you out some thought into the present, showing you know the loved one and their likes.

“Here’s a gift card to your favorite sushi restaurant” has a little more meaning attached to it than “here’s $200 enjoy the gas money and a few trips through the drive thru when you’re too tired to cook”

Also just realized this is a total detail so apologies

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

So how is he going to wriggle out of this one?

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Clarste posted:

So it's kickstarter.

If this was a pun, it’s a really, really good one

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Turns out the Trump shoes don't currently exist and if you placed an order, then you won't get them unless enough other people place orders to make it profitable enough to Trump to order them and have them manufactured.

https://twitter.com/pappybest/status/1759572056017080503

A Trump business endeavor is shady and bullshit? gently caress you say?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Five Year Plan posted:

If this was a pun, it’s a really, really good one

Yeah, I wasn't sure but the more I mull it over the more I like it.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Kicks starter lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BonoMan posted:

It's dumb but it's because the gift card lets you know you're paying attention to them and their interests. And, while not so much anymore, just giving cash was kind of thought of as impersonal so people would do just what the guy you quoted said... get a gift card to show some thought but they get to make the final detail decisions.

Anyway my mom ALMOST fell for the gift card scam. Old people get scared real easy and there's no rational thought behind it. She's super smart (or at least used to be) and still almost got bit by it. Even after calling me and us realizing it was a scam she STILL wanted to give it to them to "just make it go away" b/c they kept calling her number/emailing her. Just flabbergasted me.

It's also like grandma wants to get Johnny the hot new video game everyone wants but has no idea what it is, can't remember it, has trouble getting out and around or can't foot the entire $70 cost so she just gets a gamepass card or some poo poo instead of Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Trump Fragrances has a real "Frank's Fluids" quality to it

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A Trump business endeavor is shady and bullshit? gently caress you say?
Right now about the only thing that can turn Trump supporters is loving with their money, as has happened sometimes when they find out where their donations actually go to

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

John Oliver offers to pay Clarence Thomas $1m a year if he resigns from supreme court

quote:

Oliver made the proposal on Sunday’s episode of his HBO show Last Week Tonight, saying the supreme court justice had 30 days to accept or it would expire.

“Lot on your plate right now, from stripping away women’s rights to hearing January 6 cases … and you deserve a break, you know, away from the meanness of Washington. So you can be surrounded by the regular folks whose lives you made demonstrably worse for decades.”
- John Oliver

He also offered him a luxury motor coach.

:lmao:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

He'd be a loving idiot not to take that deal honestly. That's over three times his currently salary, and he gets a house on wheels to sweeten the deal.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

dr_rat posted:

And also apparently they are for some reason many company and governments preferred methods of exchanging money.

No a government tax department will never want you to pay a "suddenly discovered unpaid tax debt" in Apple store gift cards. Why the hell would that ever be a thing!!!!

I wonder if Apple has internal numbers of what percentage of those cards are most likely just being used for crime.

Oh god. Such memories. In between times on the disability list, I worked as Apple Tech Support from home (through a contractor). The number of times where an elderly person called me and wondered why they had given/been asked to give Apple Gift Cards for tech support, or because their mac found a page on the net that indicated "A problem with your computer, text apple gift cards to this address and we can fix it remotely".. It got to the point where I knew it was coming from the start. and had my polished spiel ready to go.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bloody Pom posted:

He'd be a loving idiot not to take that deal honestly. That's over three times his currently salary, and he gets a house on wheels to sweeten the deal.

He's already got a billionaire sugar daddy who buys him luxury RVs. Taking Oliver's deal probably costs him all the free vacations and travel while also depriving him of the joy of destroying America. Plus losing his ability to help Trump and push the lunatic conservative agenda would put him in the doghouse with his wife.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Clarence Thomas likes money but he also likes power and has his own bizarre misogynist agenda that he wants to advance. Getting kickbacks is just a perk for him.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Gyges posted:

He's already got a billionaire sugar daddy who buys him luxury RVs. Taking Oliver's deal probably costs him all the free vacations and travel while also depriving him of the joy of destroying America. Plus losing his ability to help Trump and push the lunatic conservative agenda would put him in the doghouse with his wife.

No those are his friends. They like him and even if he wasn’t a supreme they would still want to hang around with him and give him gifts and go on trips with him.

He could retire on a million a year and still have all those benefits.

Or at least that’s how he justifies it. In the real world they would just ghost him as soon as he put aside his power and influence.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

mdemone posted:

Three as far as I know. One was to a VP of Deutsche Bank.

I will say that Vice Presidents are a dime a dozen at Deutsche Bank.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Found out something interesting looking for that.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=last+week+tonight+2%2F18
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=last+week+tonight+2%2F18+site%3Ayoutube.com

One of these doesn't have pirated results.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

V-Men posted:

I will say that Vice Presidents are a dime a dozen at Deutsche Bank.

VP at a financial firm doesn't mean poo poo. Hell, I'm a VP at another large bank everyone has heard of, and I just work as a Unix nerd without any people who report to me. If you want high ranking, you look for managing directors and above. VP is just a flunky.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Are the judgments against Trump is any way dischargeable? Either the E Jean Carroll case or the NY fraud case? I assume that if Trump declared bankruptcy, died, he'd still be on the hook and that these two parties will be first in line to collect. What if he became president again?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

small butter posted:

Are the judgments against Trump is any way dischargeable? Either the E Jean Carroll case or the NY fraud case? I assume that if Trump declared bankruptcy, died, he'd still be on the hook and that these two parties will be first in line to collect. What if he became president again?

E Jean Carroll and NY fraud case are both state not federal, so technically he shouldn't be able to do anything as president to get rid of those verdicts. And yeah if he died his estate would still have to settle those debts.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

small butter posted:

To the best of my knowledge, they cannot be discharged during something like bankruptcy. As to the second part, he didn’t pay, the courts would just send a nice letter to his financial institutions and just get the ball rolling without him saying so. As far as if it’s not enough and he is still paying while president, it would be funny for the courts to garnish his wages but I don’t know if you can garnish a presidents wages.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

KKKLIP ART posted:

To the best of my knowledge, they cannot be discharged during something like bankruptcy. As to the second part, he didn’t pay, the courts would just send a nice letter to his financial institutions and just get the ball rolling without him saying so. As far as if it’s not enough and he is still paying while president, it would be funny for the courts to garnish his wages but I don’t know if you can garnish a presidents wages.

Pretty shortsighted of the Framers not to account for the possibility of the president being a massive crime and sex beast - especially since most of them owned and raped other human beings.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Pretty shortsighted of the Framers not to account for the possibility of the president being a massive crime and sex beast - especially since most of them owned and raped other human beings.

They did not see these as crimes.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Svanja posted:

They did not see these as crimes.

I don't think they saw them as humans...

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Bel Shazar posted:

I don't think they saw them as humans...

You're 2/5 right.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They did foresee it, and we used their intended remedy twice- impeachment. They didn't foresee that the president's party would line up behind a massive crime beast and refuse to convict him regardless

When the fine was first levied I asked about garnishment and someone said that yes, that is a possibility

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

haveblue posted:

When the fine was first levied I asked about garnishment and someone said that yes, that is a possibility

Which brings up the question, if he doesn't win the election and he's not allowed to do business in New York for three years -where all his businesses are based right?- than what wage/income would they be garnishing?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Or that's exactly why they didn't put language in there about it. Just meekly said that Congress could impeach them, knowing Congress at the time would be all their WASPy, slave-owning buds.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dr_rat posted:

Which brings up the question, if he doesn't win the election and he's not allowed to do business in New York for three years -where all his businesses are based right?- than what wage/income would they be garnishing?

Donation grifts? Remaining brand licensing deals? Property rents? He may not be as wealthy as he likes to appear but he doesn't have zero passive income

Of course this only happens *after* stuff gets liquidated. The court will try to balance paying the fine off as fast as possible with getting as much out of him as possible, which may involve not 100% burning him to the ground overnight, much as we would all like to see that

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ the Supreme Court ruling in 2025 that the president can in fact still refuse his federal paycheck if his wages are being garnished in some jurisdiction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

haveblue posted:

They did foresee it, and we used their intended remedy twice- impeachment. They didn't foresee that the president's party would line up behind a massive crime beast and refuse to convict him regardless

They also assumed that anybody carrying on like Trump has been would have the same thing happen to them that happened to Aaron Burr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I believe the most likely legal project Trump pursues to the bitter end, regardless of his re-election or failure, is the destruction of no-fault divorce.