Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our first family flight is in September so we’ll have a 4yo and an 18 month old. I’m getting a preemptive 1000 yard stare whenever I think about how we’re going to navigate that whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
The more you do it the easier it is, but I'm still destroyed for at least the rest of the day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Giant Metal Robot posted:

The more you do it the easier it is, but I'm still destroyed for at least the rest of the day.

Yeah what used to be a simple hop to the airport is now an all day ordeal

One big improvement has been to check everything in one giant bag. I used to hate checking luggage but I find we can fit 90% of the family's gear in a single extra large checked bag. We recently did a week long international trip with one checked bag, my carry on luggage, a diaper bag and the stroller. That was great

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m not a seasoned traveler with kids, but my go to advice is no layovers, check your luggage, bring a tablet, and, for small enough kids, bring a roll of masking tape (it keeps them occupied for a long time, I don’t understand it).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
One piece of advice that I got from this thread that was really good was to go to the dollar store and buy a poo poo ton of cheap, lovely toys. Entertain your kids with a steady stream of crap and whip out a new one once the novelty starts to start off.

We got a lot of mileage from some matchbox cars and tape that looks like a road.

No pun intended

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yeah, I'm also preparing myself mentally for a two week work trip/"holiday" with our 15 m/o with multiple train and car journeys and hotels at the other end. The tips here have been helpful, but I'm still not looking forward to it or the pile of work that will be waiting for me after coming back.

Feeling pretty bad about pushing against my wife and baby joining me for another week-long work trip in May, but I just don't fancy going to meetings looking and feeling shell-shocked after broken nights and no prep time.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Just be careful that your wife doesn't view your work trip as a joyous week with no kids at an exotic/interesting city. Because, you know, that's kinda what it is (yes, there's work for you, but taking care of the kids is work too and it's not in an interesting place).

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yeah for sure, I know it will be way tougher for her. We are planning on getting a babysitter in for some of the days I'm away though and re-balance the babycare before/after the trip. I feel like large part of this early parenting is also taking care of each other so neither one gets burned out or feels unappreciated. The baby will be fine one way or another

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thanks, this was super helpful. We have the Mesa and would be using that but we'll also be in Comfort+ so the three extra inches of legroom should solve that problem.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

Our first family flight is in September so we’ll have a 4yo and an 18 month old. I’m getting a preemptive 1000 yard stare whenever I think about how we’re going to navigate that whole thing.

If you don't already have it, 100% get TSA Pre Check as soon as possible because it will make your run through security a million times easier. We got it as part of Global Entry back when my wife and I were traveling a lot and it's impossible to go back, especially when you're not having to take tons of bullshit out of your bag

It may seem like a hassle to get it and you might not think you need it if you don't fly often but I'm telling you, it's so worth it

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Good soup! posted:

If you don't already have it, 100% get TSA Pre Check as soon as possible because it will make your run through security a million times easier. We got it as part of Global Entry back when my wife and I were traveling a lot and it's impossible to go back, especially when you're not having to take tons of bullshit out of your bag

It may seem like a hassle to get it and you might not think you need it if you don't fly often but I'm telling you, it's so worth it

Yes it’s night and day. If you think taking your shoes off is a mild inconvenience then try taking them off while holding a baby or while your toddler is running away or an agent is shouting at you that the stroller has to go through the x-ray NOT the scanner you stupid fucker time to swab your breast milk for explosives cuz your wife must have bomb titties did you leave the iPad in this backpack? Extra screening take it out put it in it’s own bin now you have 75 bins going through the scanner and your pants have fallen down because the toddler is crying and pulling them.

Pre check eliminates like 75% of that hassle all with just a perfectly legal bribe to the government to prove that you’re a Good Citizen.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

space uncle posted:

to swab your breast milk for explosives cuz your wife must have bomb titties

I mean, yeah, my wife does have pretty bomb titties.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
One thing to keep in mind is that kids under 12 can piggyback off your TSA precheck, but if you're traveling internationally they need their own global entry to get that benefit.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

But on the other hand, many airports automatically move families/kids to the front of the line (okay, more likely when it's a bigger airport).

Always keep an eye out for the family lines - and if there's a staff member who is funneling people at the start of the line - ask them if there is one. One time they put us into the pilot/staff line bypassing a hundred people or so it felt.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I have PreCheck and my partner doesn't. We have found it most helpful to turn me into a luggage mule while they take the baby through regular security with as few bags as possible. That way I get the allowances for not taking out batteries, baby food, etc, and they get a little leeway from nice TSA staff since they have a baby.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Our airport has CLEAR now, and it annoys me. They get put in the same line as TSA Precheck people, but get to cut in front of everyone. It makes Precheck much slower. Precheck is still faster than the normal line, but it's definitely nickel-and-diming the airport security experience.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I just want to throw a word of caution out about car seats on planes as we had issues in the past where American Airlines were fine with our car seat which was FAA approved but British Airways kicked up a stink because they thought it was a rear-facing only car seat which they don't allow and forced my wife to hold the baby for the flight. So double check each individual airline's requirements as they are not uniform and and make sure you know what your car seat is capable of.

We've had good experiences using the child aviation restraint system when our daughter was slightly older which attaches to the seat lap belt and adds shoulder straps to keep them more secure but is way more convenient to travel with.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My family flying advice is if you're taking Southwest to Orlando get Business Select. Literally the entire flight is kids, so everyone does family boarding. If you're B group, forget it, you're hosed.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

reality_groove posted:

rear-facing only car seat

Huh? Isn't that the only kind? Like we definitely put our boy rear facing for our flight, why would he be front facing?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I think the non-US carriers have weird car seat quirks.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Eeyo posted:

Huh? Isn't that the only kind? Like we definitely put our boy rear facing for our flight, why would he be front facing?

British Airways Car Seat Policy posted:

The child in the car seat must face the same direction as the aircraft seat to which it is secured.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Car broke down on a busy highway while I had both kids in the car, on the way to school to babby's first day. In laws were out of town. Managed to wrestle it to the shoulder at least.

NOT A FAN

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My family flying advice is if you're taking Southwest to Orlando get Business Select. Literally the entire flight is kids, so everyone does family boarding. If you're B group, forget it, you're hosed.

Southwest with a family is unpleasant between the lack of seat selection and the mad rush during family boarding. At this point, I go out of my way to fly on a carrier that I have some status with so I not only get to select seats but also get my baggage on the carousel first, have early boarding regardless of their age, and often get a faster security line even without pre-check.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sheri posted:

I think the non-US carriers have weird car seat quirks.

Yeah British airways is not (that I'm aware, anyways) beholden to FAA rules, they're as stated in the name governed by British rules.

I've only flown with American (FAA regulated) international with my kiddo so far

Not allowing rear facing car seats is barbaric and only second to brexit for worst choices by a supposedly :airquote: modern country.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

King Hong Kong posted:

Southwest with a family is unpleasant between the lack of seat selection and the mad rush during family boarding.
My wife and I figured out the optimal seating arrangement for us and two kids: a 2x2 block of middle-window seats, with the two kids in the window seats, and the "seat kicker" of the two in the back. This way there's 1:1 adult:kid, the seat kicker is kicking his sibling, and we've insulated any other adults from our unruly kids. It's usually not hard to come up with the arrangement on a Southwest flight during family boarding, just look for two rows with people already sitting isles.

Last time we flew Delta I made sure all legs of our trip had this arrangement had this pre-assigned. But when we showed up for one of our legs the agent "helpfully" reassigned us into a single row. We were not pleased.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
We’ve flown across the US with our 1 kid a few times between 10 months and 2 years, and it got harder as she’s gotten older. At 10 months she slept the whole way, at 2 years she fought most of it.

My suggestions, which echo those of others:
-Buy the extra seat if you can
-Put everything in a checked bag, or ask the gate agent to check a carryon through to your destination if you have layovers, or at least just gate check it so you don’t have to deal with overhead bins
-We used our uppababy Mesa on the first flights, and then bought a Cosco Scenera when she had outgrown it. It’s even lighter than the Mesa
-If in a car seat, try to keep your kid rear-facing if you can. Ours discovered she could kick the seat ahead of her on our last trip which was a nightmare. We ended up putting her rear-facing even though she was pretty squished just so we wouldn’t have to fight about the kicking
-Someone linked a lightweight travel stroller which I’ll also endorse. Gate check it on flights and pick it back up for any layovers
-Load up a tablet with downloaded videos. If you haven’t done screen time with your kid, now’s the time (our kid has only seen an iPad while on a plane). Snacks and new toys or books are also key
-Board as soon as they’ll let you, which in my experience is really as soon as they open boarding
-Get your kid to drink or take a pacifier during takeoff, swallowing will help get their ears to pop during the pressure change
-Make sure you know where everything is and how you’re gonna carry and move it all through the airport before you go. You don’t want to realize you don’t have enough hands when you’re there, or that a bag won’t fit in the stroller or whatever
-Layovers are a good time to let the kid run around and for one of the parents to get a break, we’d usually go park at our next gate and take turns walking around with the kid to burn off some energy while their other sat in peace

Really my focuses were on simplifying our job moving poo poo around as much as possible, and a “whatever gets us through” approach to the flight itself. Unhealthy snacks, bad TV, whatever keeps the peace. No rules in love, war, or flying with children.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

-Load up a tablet with downloaded videos
Oh yeah, Disney+ on an iPad is the best for trips. There's no limits on downloads (none that I've found, anyways) and as long as you logged in like the day before your trip you can run it off WiFi the entire time.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

For those of you with Gamepass, the Bluey game is going to be added on Feb 22nd.

*Maneater is also cool as hell but might be too much for the kiddos.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The dollar store tip is genius. I might use it to get through long holiday weekends too.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
We got a CARES harness and checked our big car seat. It's pretty convenient!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

please don't go into dollar stores

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet so I will say that if you can possibly swing it now is the time to spring for first class. It is stupid expensive but goddamn does it smooth over the "flying" part of "flying with a kid".

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Obviously your mileage will vary, but flying airlines from countries with more positive attitudes towards small children (Thailand is especially good for this, but had a good experience with Brunei Air) can also make things a bit easier.

We went to Thailand/Malaysia at the start of last year with 6/4/2yos and my heavily pregnant wife. Our strategy was sitting behind the bulkheads, so noone there to be kicked.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Avianca is good for families, they let us (offered) board first no problem

American Airlines, you might as well be dead to them if your kid is a single day over 2, back of the line, straight to jail

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Shalhavet posted:

We got a CARES harness and checked our big car seat. It's pretty convenient!

How is it to setup on the plane? Any weird interactions with the person behind you, since you have to wrap it around the seat back?

We’ve been talking about this for a trip later this year, at 3 I think our daughter will just be too big for the car seat on a plane but not big enough for the airplane seat alone.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
For my two US domestic flights we were required to put our car seat facing front.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

We took our almost 3yo to Meow Wolf Omega Mart yesterday and oh boy was it hard to drag him away when it was time to leave. I'm glad he enjoyed it and did not instead freak out.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

How is it to setup on the plane? Any weird interactions with the person behind you, since you have to wrap it around the seat back?

We’ve been talking about this for a trip later this year, at 3 I think our daughter will just be too big for the car seat on a plane but not big enough for the airplane seat alone.

There's a loop that slides over the back of the seat that rests mid-way down the seat where the tray table goes when it's stowed, so no impediment to the person behind using their tray or entertainment system or whatever. We've very kindly explained to the person behind before we do it (but without explicitly asking their permission) and no-ones had a problem with it yet.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
What reality_groove said. The most the person behind you needs to do is unlatch their tray table so you can move the strap behind it, and if you're doing family boarding nobody's likely to be there yet anyway and a flight attendant can help if you need it.

Other than that, there's two loops that the lap belt goes through to secure the bottom and a chest clip. Toddlers will want to unbuckle the lap belt so some masking tape is a good idea for more than just entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Yes you have to take this medicine. No I can't do anything about the flavor. Yes I'm sorry I would change it and make it easier if I could.

Child, you have strep and an ear infection and 10 days worth of antibiotics we can't do 2 hours of negotiating and fighting every dose. Sigh.