Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

GotLag posted:

Some kind of chemical reactor?

Lol, slick 'The Saint' ref.

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Eason the Fifth posted:

Man nobody could ever pay me enough money to get on a motorcycle on any street with a limit over 10mph and certainly never a highway

Not splitting lanes like stopped cars are just nuisances for you to navigate around also probably helps

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/tv142EH.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/7cyZpsc.mp4

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Eason the Fifth posted:

Man nobody could ever pay me enough money to get on a motorcycle on any street with a limit over 10mph and certainly never a highway

It doesn't help that the guy was trying to lane split between the two stopped lanes as the above poster pointed out. He's mostly at fault for his stupid accident.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

CommieGIR posted:

It doesn't help that the guy was trying to lane split between the two stopped lanes as the above poster pointed out. He's mostly at fault for his stupid accident.

yeah I remember it was in the DMV motorcycle handbook and also brought up multiple times in the mandatory safety class "lane splitting is technically-not-forbidden (in some states) but it's inherently unsafe and stupid and when you inevitably get squished you have nobody to blame but yourself"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Vampire Panties posted:

San Diego is the dumbest and most dysfunctional big city in California, maybe the world

Yeah, but seeing the ocean as you come in for a landing is pretty cool.

I'm always surprised how hectic driving around there is.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

Victim blaming much

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LimaBiker posted:

Victim blaming much

The guy is speeding between the lanes in stopped/slow traffic.

So no, they did it to themselves. If traffic around you is stopped and slow, you need to keep pace with the traffic. There is absolutely no excuse for going that fast when everyone else is going slow or stopping, let alone cutting between stopped and slowed traffic to try to bypass it. This is why lane splitting is so dangerous - because it makes really dumb assumptions about why traffic is slowing and stopping and pretends that somehow you are exempt from those conditions. You are not exempt from traffic or its rules because you are on a bike or scooter, and you will have an accident by doing so.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 20, 2024

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Absolute legend

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

The guy is speeding between the lanes in stopped/slow traffic.

So no, they did it to themselves. If traffic around you is stopped and slow, you need to keep pace with the traffic. There is absolutely no excuse for going that fast when everyone else is going slow or stopping, let alone cutting between stopped and slowed traffic to try to bypass it. This is why lane splitting is so dangerous - because it makes really dumb assumptions about why traffic is slowing and stopping and pretends that somehow you are exempt from those conditions. You are not exempt from traffic or its rules because you are on a bike or scooter, and you will have an accident by doing so.

Or, you just look in your mirror before switching lanes, like any driving instructor will tell you to. If you don't look in your mirror, you've already hosed up. Attempting this move during a driving exam would result in the examiner slamming on the brakes, and failing you instantly. I know the USA has no driver's ed to speak of, but that's not the point.
Of course as a rider you need to do it with the appropriate speed. But fact of the matter is that if the driver would've used their mirrors like they should have, they would've not caused two accidents.

A bike is not a car. The things that are sensible in a car are nonsensical on a bike, and in reverse, on a bike you don't do the things you might do in a car. Sitting in traffic is one of those nonsensical things, both because there's plenty of space, because getting hit from behind is much more dangerous than being knocked over from the side, and because if the weather is over like 30 degrees C, you'll get hyperthermia from sitting between running engines (and on top of your own) for prolonged periods of time.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 20, 2024

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That guy has played a lot of Euro truck simulator.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

LimaBiker posted:

Or, you just look in your mirror before switching lanes, like any driving instructor will tell you to. If you don't look in your mirror, you've already hosed up.
Of course as a rider you need to do it with the appropriate speed. But fact of the matter is that if the driver would've used their mirrors like they should have, they would've not caused two accidents.

A bike is not a car. The things that are sensible in a car are nonsensical on a bike, and in reverse, on a bike you don't do the things you might do in a car. Sitting in traffic is one of those nonsensical things, both because there's plenty of space, because getting hit from behind is much more dangerous than being knocked over from the side, and because if the weather is over like 30 degrees C, you'll get hyperthermia from sitting between running engines (and on top of your own) for prolonged periods of time.

stop victim blaming the driver

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That passenger should have checked that a motorcyclist wouldn't be shooting the gap through the horrific accident at 40mph before they opened their door.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
How are you getting hit from behind if traffic isn't moving

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LimaBiker posted:

Or, you just look in your mirror before switching lanes, like any driving instructor will tell you to. If you don't look in your mirror, you've already hosed up. Attempting this move during a driving exam would result in the examiner slamming on the brakes, and failing you instantly. I know the USA has no driver's ed to speak of, but that's not the point.

Thank you for highlighting my point - you think the rules of traffic are different for you because you are on a bike. And that's why they got hit. They are going double the speed of the traffic around them and making assumptions about said traffic. And lane splitting encourages you to think that somehow people all need to look out for you, when you as a defensive driver on a bike should also be using caution and assuming they are not watching for you. And that's what happened to both these bikers. They both assumed everyone was watching for them, zipped through stopped slowed and traffic because they felt they were exempt from said traffic, and they got hit.

You are not exempt from the rules because you are on a bike. That's just loving dumb and its why lane splitting increases your risk on a bike. At this point you might as well argue that rules don't apply to you on the road and everyone is below you. Just assume your bike has the same space requirements as a car on a road filled with cars and you are far less likely to have an accident.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 20, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

CommieGIR posted:

You are not exempt from the rules because you are on a bike.

please do not point out that regardless of how correct it is to hate cars that they're still everywhere and we still have to deal with them and acknowledging them + respecting their presence is the only way to safely get around, it's very inconvenient to the presented argument

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Have you considered that the rules may very well be that it's explicitely legal, if you don't know exactly in which country and/or state the video was made?

This person in the car would just as badly have run into another car, if they were on a backed up highway exit and deciding to switch lanes without looking. After all, traffic will still be passing at highway speeds for the most part. The car driver not looking in their mirror is the thing that triggered the accident here.
The rider could've potentially prevented the accident by moving all the way to the left of the lane, or by being slower. I get really nervous if one part of the highway is backed up and the other is not, because exactly this might happen and there might be a day on which i cannot compensate for another person's stupidity.
But the single cause of the accident was the car not looking in their mirror before moving. Had they followed procedure, then there would've been no accident even if the biker is doing this at a place where filtering is not legal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LimaBiker posted:

The rider could've potentially prevented the accident by moving all the way to the left of the lane, or by being slower. I get really nervous if one part of the highway is backed up and the other is not, because exactly this might happen and there might be a day on which i cannot compensate for another person's stupidity.
But the single cause of the accident was the car not looking in their mirror before moving. Had they followed procedure, then there would've been no accident even if the biker is doing this at a place where filtering is not legal.

Thanks for highlight the issue. I think we're done here.

Lane splitting is dumb. Speeding through stopped and backed up traffic is unsafe. Don't assume cars around you are paying attention as you zoom inbetween the. At some point - it is your fault for failing to use caution even if the lack of awareness on the merging driver's part contributed to it.

Cars are bigger than you, more ungainly than you, and you should never make assumptions on the capabilities and awareness of other drivers, let alone trying to zoom down inbetween said drivers to bypass traffic in an unsafe manner.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ah yes the rules said this insanely stupid and dangerous thing was legal so it should be allowed because common sense and personal safety should give way to the law no matter what

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

hey guys, see this guy who took out a motorbike? here's why it's OK for him to have taken out the 2nd motorbike and totally the riders fault AND NOT HIS because i drive a car and i'm scared of taking responsibility for my actions - like not looking in the mirror

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Car put on its hazard flashers. And the loving moron on the bike still tried to lane split at high speed. He ate that pavement all on his own.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hemale in pain posted:

hey guys, see this guy who took out a motorbike? here's why it's OK for him to have taken out the 2nd motorbike and totally the riders fault AND NOT HIS because i drive a car and i'm scared of taking responsibility for my actions - like not looking in the mirror

You realize the 2nd biker zoomed down at double the speed of the traffic as the guy was trying to block the first accident to prevent anyone from running over him?

Jesus, at some point its a question of why wasn't that 2nd lane splitter paying as much attention to traffic as he barrelled at double the speed of the vehicles around him as the guy you want to blame for not checking his mirrors. Oh right, only the car can be responsible, bikes gets pass because 2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad, I can just ignore the traffic and motions of other vehicles as as exceed the average speed around me.

Guy can't check his mirror but apparently the 2nd biker is blind and unable to use his brakes.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 20, 2024

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

this is cool as hell

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The second guy was trying to shoot the gap at speed between two non-moving vehicles. That seems like a real bad idea no matter the circumstances.

Personally I try to avoid dying based on principle so even though I might be right on the road I'd rather be alive and reducing my chances of an accident

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Glad someone logged on to defend cars

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

hemale in pain posted:

Thank you. If you don't learn after the first time, you are just plain stupid. The exact same thing could've happened totally legally when the motorcycle was passing a line of parallel parked cars at road speed, because the root cause is not using the mirrors. Or do you expect any vehicle passing a line of parallel parked vehicles to slow down to a crawl?

Kith posted:

ah yes the rules said this insanely stupid and dangerous thing was legal so it should be allowed because common sense and personal safety should give way to the law no matter what

Have you ever considered it's less dangerous than being hit from behind, by a driver not paying attention to you being in front of them? Genuine question.
The injuries to the spinal cord and neck are so much worse in a rear ender. A bike does not have crumple zones. I'd rather break my legs than my spinal cord.

I live in a country where it's legal, and things like you see in the video are pretty drat rare. It can be done safely. It is done safely by thousands of commuters each day. Educate your loving road users.
California style lane splitting at full speed is completely stupid, but filtering in traffic jams is beneficial to everyone.
In germany it's illegal, but there you need to leave space (as a driver) for motorcycle cops and smaller first response vehicles in the middle of the highway. You can bet your rear end you're gonna get a serious ticket if you do what the person in the video did, and take out a first responder.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
AC(ars)AB

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Glad someone logged on to defend cars

That's a loving hot take - Apparently defensive driving applies to cars only. Bikes get free pass to move aggressively through the herd.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Christ sorry for opening the doors on this derail

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

LimaBiker posted:

Thank you. If you don't learn after the first time, you are just plain stupid.

Have you ever considered it's less dangerous than being hit from behind, by a driver not paying attention to you being in front of them? Genuine question.
The injuries to the spinal cord and neck are so much worse in a rear ender. A bike does not have crumple zones.

I live in a country where it's legal, and things like you see in the video are pretty drat rare. It can be done safely. It is done safely by thousands of commuters each day. Educate your loving road users.
California style lane splitting at full speed is completely stupid, but filtering in traffic jams is beneficial to everyone.
In germany it's illegal, but there you need to leave space (as a driver) for motorcycle cops and smaller first response vehicles in the middle of the highway. You can bet your rear end you're gonna get a serious ticket if you do what the person in the video did, and take out a first responder.

Is the country Peru, your username makes me think it's Peru

Lane splitting can be fine, but doing it at full speed past stationary cars on a highway seems real dumb

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Is the country Peru, your username makes me think it's Peru

Lane splitting can be fine, but doing it at full speed past stationary cars on a highway seems real dumb

if it helps morons will still switch lanes into you even when you're not filtering (just like in this video!)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Welp, my work here is done. :twisted:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Nope. The Netherlands.

And yes, at full speed it's dumb. But at the same time, it's not a whole lot different than passing lines of cars going straight at a traffic light, when there's a line next to you waiting to take a turn. Or the aforementioned case of passing parallel parked cars. So while doing it at full speed is quite dumb (there's a 50km/h speed limit for filtering here, and you're kinda not supposed to have a more than 10km/h speed differential - that last bit is kinda hard to adhere to, at 10km/h things get a bit more wobbly and on some bikes you're literally constantly slipping the clutch, so you take it up to bicycle speeds aka 20km/h), it's not like it's unheard of that *any* vehicle will pass your vehicle at road speed, when you're stationary. Either sitting in the turning lane, or waiting to exit a parallel parking spot, people (cars or bikes) will always pass you at speeds from 30km/h up to 80km/h depending on the specific type of road.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ilmucche posted:

The second guy was trying to shoot the gap at speed between two non-moving vehicles. That seems like a real bad idea no matter the circumstances.

Personally I try to avoid dying based on principle so even though I might be right on the road I'd rather be alive and reducing my chances of an accident

what the gently caress?????? mods?????????????????

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

LimaBiker posted:

Have you ever considered

i haven't considered a god drat thing because this derail is not interesting. at least when people were talking about chemicals i got to learn something. this time i got to watch you desperately try to goad a slapfight. cars suck, we get it, post something worth looking at

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kith posted:

please do not point out that regardless of how correct it is to hate cars that they're still everywhere and we still have to deal with them and acknowledging them + respecting their presence is the only way to safely get around, it's very inconvenient to the presented argument

When I was learning to ride a motorcycle, it was pointed out that despite me having the right of way in situations, I'm still on a bike with little safety equipment and they're in a big car and probably not paying attention to me. So, like, I might be have the right to merge, but should let the car go past anyway.

But, also do things like ride on the left side of the lane. It seems like you're more in the way, but it also is directly in front of the driver seat and makes them more hesitant to squeeze past you.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Grey Cat posted:

I used to deliver car parts to shops and I loving hated walking under or anywhere near those things.

That's a pretty sketchy looking lift. The ones we had when I used to work in a garage were a lot more stable. Then again, that's why you never let customers in the service bays.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I ride motorcycle and car

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MightyJoe36 posted:

That's a pretty sketchy looking lift. The ones we had when I used to work in a garage were a lot more stable. Then again, that's why you never let customers in the service bays.

The problem is the arms were not locked, you can see the rear and front arms shifting - there's a gear and pin on each arm that is supposed to lock them into the extended position and once that arm started to shift the weight of the car pushed it away.

So yeah, either they've bypassed a safety or its missing the locking mechanisms for the arms. Super unsafe that way.

The arm nearest the camera swings freely as the car starts to fall, there's no way those are locked into position like they should be.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Lane splitting is dumb.

Actually, lane splitting is cool and awesome, that's why car drivers get so mad about not being able to do it