Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CainFortea posted:

I guess my 4 hours of play last night must have been a hallucination!

and furthermore, everyone with a different experience than you is lying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

bandaid.friend posted:

Drone master was in the store day one. Is the rotation so short?

e is the legionaire armour the light one that looks like a green pilot suit? that was in day one too

I think this game has enough’ live service’ content for about a week. Good thing it’s so much fun to play.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

we've got bugs and bots, the logical next step is birds

Robot and bug birds tho? Maybe? Hmm?

Fuckin' robot bird with a metal skull for a head would be metal af

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Spudd posted:

I do wonder if they'll ever add in flying enemies.

They fly now.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

we've got bugs and bots, the logical next step is birds

TUROK STYLE DINOSAURS WITH ARMOR AND LASERS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

People are playing, you're just not allowed to. Everyone else is having fun, except for you.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Legit this. Dinosoid army would rule. Bigass gun-bristling cyber T-rex as bile titan equiv.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Does that mean helldivers would get the cerebral bore that will sometimes just bug out and go after another helldiver?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

They fly now.

*gibbed by rocketbot as it explodes in front of me* ... they fly now

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So i have a decent handle on patrols and alarms, but how exactly do they work?

For automatons i think it is always the low level troopers that do it, and you can see them raise their arm and fire the flare. Is it only the rifle armed troopers or is it also the sword and rocket guys?

For bugs I'm not sure which ones actually can summon a breach. I know its not just the tiniest bugs but is it everything not a charger or bile spitter?

For autos: There is a specific basic looking bot that only has one sword arm, they hold a pistol with the other arm. These shoot flares that summon drop ships.

For bugs: The smallest bugs usually summon, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Defenders do it too. Defenders are the frontal armored ones that will turtle up when you start shooting them. Brood Commanders (the huge non-charger bugs) can summon as well. Not sure about the rest of the bugs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Diephoon posted:

For autos: There is a specific basic looking bot that only has one sword arm, they hold a pistol with the other arm. These shoot flares that summon drop ships.

For bugs: The smallest bugs usually summon, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Defenders do it too. Defenders are the frontal armored ones that will turtle up when you start shooting them. Brood Commanders (the huge non-charger bugs) can summon as well. Not sure about the rest of the bugs.

I'm pretty sure i've seen non-commissar bots do it. But honestly I'm not entirely certain

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Spudd posted:

I do wonder if they'll ever add in flying enemies.

Terminid Grabbers, you say

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Volte posted:

I was excited for this game and bought it and spent most of my 2 hour refund window without even getting into the game a single time so I refunded and will possibly rebuy in the future. It's a shame because I hear such good things about it, but it's really a disaster of a launch. Probably the worst I've ever seen. At least in the previous worst launch I've ever experienced, Diablo 3's launch, I could get in some of the time.

Fun part is - the launch wasn't bad. I actually got a fair amount of play time in the game during its debut week and only started seeing login issues crop up in the past week as it started hitting bonafide viral success metrics.

But it's totally fair if you weren't able to play at all in that 2-hour refund window to get a refund - no harm, no foul. That makes a lot of sense to me, and more power to you for doing right by you.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I'm not 100% sure about this, but any infantry bot can shoot a flare, although the basic rifle guys are more likely to do it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
dinosaurs are birds, my prediction stands

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So i have a decent handle on patrols and alarms, but how exactly do they work?

For automatons i think it is always the low level troopers that do it, and you can see them raise their arm and fire the flare. Is it only the rifle armed troopers or is it also the sword and rocket guys?

For bugs I'm not sure which ones actually can summon a breach. I know its not just the tiniest bugs but is it everything not a charger or bile spitter?

I think it's usually any midsized or smaller bug, the big monsters don't seem to do it. Their equivalent of the flare is that they'll scream at the sky and you'll see a large plume of yellow smoke come out of their mouths.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is the plan to have different armor sets that offer better damage reduction at the cost of mobility or something else?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Diephoon posted:

I've seen every bug except Chargers, Titans, Spewers, and Stalkers summon. In a group of bugs of sufficient size and variety, it can be really hard to stop them from summoning a breach because any one of them could decide to do it, and it might just be the one that's hardest to kill quickly.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
If it's true that the strategy layer is what's cooking the servers then they need to strip it out. It's a 4-player P2P horde shooter, they don't need to track the orbit of every super destroyer around every planet.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

in general the bug ones are much more irritating since at least with automatons you can see the dropship come in and just light it up with stratagems. for bugs, the persistent spawning draws it out and really increases the chances of another alert happening which turns the whole thing into a mess.

As far as i can tell the best practice for any bug patrol you can't avoid is using cluster bombs or other AOE trash clearing stuff to just reduce the number of potential bugs that can alert

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Can the breach summon even be stopped? I feel like, by the time I see the orange funk start rising, shooting the bug in question is useless as the breach is already forming.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

You should give it a thumbs up on Steam. Don't let the people whose experience has been wildly different from yours win, soldier!

Wait a second! You mean that my experience is not universal?! Why did no one tell me this? What other truths have you been hiding from me.

Anyway good job missing the point. The person I quoted was responding to me while ignoring half of my post.

Dandywalken posted:

They fly now.

The loading screen has flying bugs in the background

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 20, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can the breach summon even be stopped? I feel like, by the time I see the orange funk start rising, shooting the bug in question is useless as the breach is already forming.

if it can be, it needs to be the exact moment they start spraying. there is little to no delay unlike the robots where you can see the guys hand up for a second or two can have time to shoot them.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It can, you just have to wipe the patrol before one of them summons the breach. If you see the orange fart cloud it's too late, time to drop napalm and move.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The bug doing the summoning does a little dance and strikes a certain pose and makes a certain sound before the orange cloud even comes up. It's not a lot of time before the orange cloud shows up but yes there is more warning

The annoying part is at the sound of the bug making the noise continues to play even after you shoot the bug.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Maybe this game was supposed to be some tax write off but whoops we love their unbalanced buggy tech demo and now they’re cursed to support it :mrgw:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

What I also think is the stalwart should be a main weapon, not a calldown that takes up that slot.

It actually is! ...in the original Helldivers, that is.

I too agree that weapon balance needs some work.

Also the Orbital Gas Cloud is really good for clearing breach/bot drop trash? It's basically a secret Eagle call-in under the Orbital menu.

Marlow
Jan 11, 2007

Foreign dokaebi
I know that the Discord has been locked for being over capacity for a while, but if any of you have the opportunity to join the Helldivers Official Discord, please jump at it. It is full of some of the best posts I've ever seen. This one almost made me do a spit take with my Liber-tea.

https://www.change.org/p/demand-immediate-repair-of-helldiver-2-server

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It actually is! ...in the original Helldivers, that is.

I too agree that weapon balance needs some work.

Also the Orbital Gas Cloud is really good for clearing breach/bot drop trash? It's basically a secret Eagle call-in under the Orbital menu.

Am I using it wrong? It kills nothing, the basic trash are happy to walk through it and come out the other side. Sure it weakens them, but they survive.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Theswarms posted:

Am I using it wrong? It kills nothing, the basic trash are happy to walk through it and come out the other side. Sure it weakens them, but they survive.

If it's not working for you I don't know what to say. It's a bit finicky and inconsistent but it should feel like it's doing something, and it's on a short call-in and cooldown so you can use it whenever.

I've been playing solo a lot though so it's very easy to get a conga line going and make them walk through the whole thing. Except Hunters. Ugh. Hunters. They'll randomly just go around.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

patch

patch

patcH

PATCH

PATCH??? :f5:

Anyway, the Eagle cluster strike seems way more useful than the gas strike. More uses, larger area, ultimately higher damage.

I think the devs were way too scared of DoT damage. The traditional--and sensible--tradeoff between DoTs like Fire and Poison is that you do work now for higher damage later. That's not happening, though. Fire weapons seem only to barely break even to peer direct damage weapons, if they break even at all. Poison strikes don't have the mojo of even some of the weaker area of effect direct damage strikes.

I notice that other Hostile Workplace Co-Op games--hell, games in general--deeply underspec damage-over-time effects at release, as though they're afraid of them being too strong.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Wait a second! You mean that my experience is not universal?! Why did no one tell me this? What other truths have you been hiding from me.

Anyway good job missing the point. The person I quoted was responding to me while ignoring half of my post.

The loading screen has flying bugs in the background

the person you quote is objectively correct. a lot of the negative reviews on steam are from people that are unable to play the game. they didnt say that the game was unplayable for everyone

i can speak from experience cause im at 2+ hours and only a single match, rest of the time has been spent staring at the login screen. I dont feel compelled to leave a negative steam review, but i feel like it would be reflective of what the game is like in its current state for a lot of people

anyways, i hope the new patch helps today. would like to get some matches in later when i get back from work

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Marlow posted:

I know that the Discord has been locked for being over capacity for a while, but if any of you have the opportunity to join the Helldivers Official Discord, please jump at it. It is full of some of the best posts I've ever seen. This one almost made me do a spit take with my Liber-tea.

https://www.change.org/p/demand-immediate-repair-of-helldiver-2-server

lmao

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

patch

patch

patcH

PATCH

PATCH??? :f5:

I saw them cutting a branch release_1_rc on steamdb so hopefully we have one today!

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Potato Salad posted:

I notice that other Hostile Workplace Co-Op games--hell, games in general--deeply underspec damage-over-time effects at release, as though they're afraid of them being too strong.
Man I remember in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer all the assault rifles sucked at launch because of this. Everyone just packed the heaviest shotguns and sniper rifles because burst damage is so much more effective and safer compared to doing damage over time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Exodee posted:

Man I remember in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer all the assault rifles sucked at launch because of this. Everyone just packed the heaviest shotguns and sniper rifles because burst damage is so much more effective and safer compared to doing damage over time.

The cool kids brought the lightest shittiest pistol available so you could do the Vanguard Dance forever*

*until a Praetorian ate you

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the person you quote is objectively correct. a lot of the negative reviews on steam are from people that are unable to play the game. they didnt say that the game was unplayable for everyone

Again, my post was pointing out that some of the negative reviews were specifically review bombing because of discord drama. I did not at all imply that was most of them, or all of them. I also specifically called out that the review bomb ones were in addition to the valid ones about server capacity.

Of course, some people can't read too gud so anything past the first sentence is just lost to the aether.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

rofl that petition

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Again, my post was pointing out that some of the negative reviews were specifically review bombing because of discord drama. I did not at all imply that was most of them, or all of them. I also specifically called out that the review bomb ones were in addition to the valid ones about server capacity.

Of course, some people can't read too gud so anything past the first sentence is just lost to the aether.

The broken servers are the source of the discord drama, though. There's no ulterior motive there. If my Twitter feed is any indication, all the usual reactionary creeps and hardcore gamers absolutely love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Typical Pubbie posted:

The broken servers are the source of the discord drama, though. There's no ulterior motive there. If my Twitter feed is any indication, all the usual reactionary creeps and hardcore gamers absolutely love this game.

"It's about justice" is an oddly fitting, and extremely absurd, statement for Helldivers lol