Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

RBA Starblade posted:

The cool kids brought the lightest shittiest pistol available so you could do the Vanguard Dance forever*

*until a Praetorian ate you
Yeah forgot to mention biotics/techs which can just ignore guns altogether lol

Starting out as a gun-class was actually kinda rough in that game since you only have the lovely starting weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CainFortea posted:

Again, my post was pointing out that some of the negative reviews were specifically review bombing because of discord drama.

And some people are crying all over their keyboards because THEY MADE THE GAME POLITICAL :cry: :cry: :cry: by making fun of right wingers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Regarding servers, MY UNCLE WHO WORKS AT NINTENDO SAID-- :biglips:

joking aside, over the weekend I got a chance to play with a couple, one of whom does surprisingly-cobtrived devops at GAME_STUDIO at present, and the other started at LIVE_SERVICES_NETWORK_PARTNER early last year. Apparently there's way, waaaaaaaaaay more involved with expanding console live services games than you'd expect as an outsider. With PC, there's more wiggle room to design a now-standard truly-fanout elastic system that really does scale nearly linear with spend. Once you start getting into console support, though, you're working with first and third party partners for the console broker circuits, for networking more generally, for identity service and synchronization, for everything aside from literally the shards you're buying, and even then it's common to go to a partner for that too because Cloud Is Hard™.

From this comfy armchair, I empathize with the devs at this point. If the community manager who cited that expected 150k concurrent client number isn't blowing smoke, the developer did a LOT of work on calls with partners and providers to get rate limits and SLAs and accounts and deployment/configuration pipelines (which apparently is much harder than your simple spherical web app deployment when you're working both with game processes AND with loads of third parties) and everything else up to 3x scale in one week.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I miss being a kid and feeling like having to wait multiple days to play a video game was an enormous injustice

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

The broken servers are the source of the discord drama, though. There's no ulterior motive there. If my Twitter feed is any indication, all the usual reactionary creeps and hardcore gamers absolutely love this game.

No, they weren't. The whole thing happened because Steam poo poo the bed, players spammed, they were told not to spam, so they spammed harder, and then everything got locked down/deleted. Also the helldivers 1 discord got deleted for some reason.

These are the literally explicitly stated reasons for some of the reviews. I watched it happen in the discord once it got let up a bit.

Hell, here is an image of a steam review that is about the discord drama.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Everyone has the right to be frustrated at the game today, but it worked perfectly on launch day. The reward stream service got bogged down over that first weekend, but they were able to scale that pretty quick. I don't recall any issues during the week last week until Friday when it reached critical mass.

I know nuance is non-existent on lesser forums, but to me there's a difference between giant studio AAAA title with massive game breaking client and server bugs and a small studio buckling under the weight of massive, unexpected popularity. I'm trying to be patient, and the only reason I'm annoyed is that this is the most fun I've had in a game in a very long time.

Also I named my ship the Queen of Equality to troll any Space Republicans I might encounter.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
B2B stuff of any variety can easily become a nightmare. One person at Business A needs the other person at Business B to do something, and they just don't do it.

Having said that, Helldivers 2 just handily beat Destiny 2's all-time PC numbers and Sony paid 3 billion dollars for Bungie, so I would assume that the fine folks at Sony are off their asses and have put together a rapid response team to help push this game into functional territory as quickly as possible. An AA dev accidently made a zeitgeist game that will crush a lot of AAA stuff if they can just get it working.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Troll mad he can't troll, water is wet more at 11

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Please, they're not AMATEURS.

They're using MongoDB.

(Please don't actually be using MongoDB) :ohdear:

why not? it's web scale.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The people spamming the discord or getting angry about it look ridiculous. But at the same time its pretty amusing how basic the discord is. It's like the community manager had kind of heard of discord but didn't really know anything about it, so they started a server and added a whole three channels or so and called it done.

also arrowhead forgot to update the steam discussions patch notes for 3 patches and now they've deleted the thread rather than keep it up

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

CainFortea posted:

No, they weren't. The whole thing happened because Steam poo poo the bed, players spammed, they were told not to spam, so they spammed harder, and then everything got locked down/deleted. Also the helldivers 1 discord got deleted for some reason.

These are the literally explicitly stated reasons for some of the reviews. I watched it happen in the discord once it got let up a bit.

Hell, here is an image of a steam review that is about the discord drama.

the 14th has the least amount of negative reviews for the entire launch period. the vast majority of the bad reviews happened over the weekend, when the servers really went up in flames. i glanced through a couple hundred reviews and didnt see a single mention of discord drama. almost all were about broken servers and anticheat programs

i highly doubt that the discord drama had any impact on the overall amount of negative reviews, like you seem to be arguing

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Even something as simple as multi-factor auth, something that has a well-defined, extremely simple and commonplace interface implemented by basically everyone, is often hosed up in hilarious and new impressive ways by companies that have no excuse for loving it up.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

B2B stuff of any variety can easily become a nightmare.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I think this game has enough’ live service’ content for about a week. Good thing it’s so much fun to play.

Good. Live service is bullshit. A compelling gameplay loop should be all you need.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

And some people are crying all over their keyboards because THEY MADE THE GAME POLITICAL :cry: :cry: :cry: by making fun of right wingers.

That's funny because every other viral tweet I see about helldivers is unironically like, "finally, they made a video game for real men."

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Just unlocked the autocannon turret. I just love the turrets.
I bring 3 turrets and the backpack with the laser drone. I like the heavy weapons but I just scavenge one from one of my teammates when they die horribly to something.

The air strikes are fantastic but something about gatling, mortar + autocannon turrets going apeshit that just feels right

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I bring 3 turrets and the backpack with the laser drone. I like the heavy weapons but I just scavenge one from one of my teammates when they die horribly to something.

The air strikes are fantastic but something about gatling, mortar + autocannon turrets going apeshit that just feels right

I've been running with a drone bunny too (the network partner employee I previously mentioned) and it's a pretty drat useful role to have on the team.

I'm not regularly doing 7/8/9 missions though.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

This loadout doesn't let you run the handheld autocannon though. Report to the nearest Democracy Officer for re-education.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Did a drop last night on difficulty 6 and I absolutely griefed the guy I joined unintentionally. Apparently there's something that scrambles the strategem you're holding? I had no idea that was a thing or why that was happening but I called in air strikes on my position about six different times and blew through reinforcements.

Is that just a thing that happens on higher difficulties or is that a thing that bots do or a building or something?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Potato Salad posted:

Anyway, the Eagle cluster strike seems way more useful than the gas strike. More uses, larger area, ultimately higher damage.

It depends on what you're going for. Eagle Cluster is quite effective at killing many small things, but it is way less safe when it comes to accidental team kills. Bots/Bugs on higher difficulties do not need any help from you when it comes to chewing through 20 reinforcement tokens and the sheer teamkilling power of the Eagle Cluster increases the odds that you'll wipe. Comparatively, the Gas Strike is a lot safer - while it won't kill all of the enemies instantly (and it will not instantly TK your teammates, as they will have time to stim up to counteract the DoT and heal up), it will kill them (or inflict a fair amount of damage them regardless of how much armor they're toting).

Potato Salad posted:

I think the devs were way too scared of DoT damage. The traditional--and sensible--tradeoff between DoTs like Fire and Poison is that you do work now for higher damage later. That's not happening, though. Fire weapons seem only to barely break even to peer direct damage weapons, if they break even at all. Poison strikes don't have the mojo of even some of the weaker area of effect direct damage strikes.

Fun thing I've noticed - DoT damage ignores Armor. That's why they're a little hesitant to make it super-powerful - otherwise it will become the one-size-fits-all solution to dealing with everything. You can try it yourself with the Flamethrower against a Charger. If you know how to bullfight a Charger, you can kill it with a single tank of flamethrower fuel without needing to break a single piece of Armor on it because both the flame damage and the DoT do not give two shits about its Armor - that damage goes straight to its health. Meanwhile, you still have a flamethrower for dealing with chaff and the burning patches on the ground are really good at area denial, especially when you need to hold a point and the enemy has to go through a chokepoint in order to reach you.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
As much as the current server limitations suck, it's actually kinda giving me some hope for the games industry going forward. This is third major release in recent memory that's come out of nowhere, from very small teams, directly targeting long time AAA genres, and eating their lunch.

Battlebit had similar server limitations and issues on launch, even getting to a point where the devs (literally 3 dudes, maybe 4) came out and said that they might go under before they actually got the massive paycheck from all the launch sales because trying to scale the servers was costing them so much so fast. Thankfully they figured it out. But that game was created explicitly to make a Battlefield game that fans actually wanted without all the poo poo that EA shoved into the game, and it worked so well.

Palworld didn't have any issues with capacity because it's mostly single player with online co-op that doesn't need fully online server hosting. But again, even as jank as it is, and how clearly it's a competent almost-an-asset-flip game, they made a loving open world Pokemon game that people actually wanted.

Now Helldivers 2 is showing AAA companies how to do a Live Service game correctly with solid gameplay, progression, and just everything. Small team of actually passionate artists making something that they really want to exist.

The server problems are an issue of success. If it weren't one of the best new games out right now we wouldn't be having these issues, because no one would be trying to play it. They'll solve the server issues eventually.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

Did a drop last night on difficulty 6 and I absolutely griefed the guy I joined unintentionally. Apparently there's something that scrambles the strategem you're holding? I had no idea that was a thing or why that was happening but I called in air strikes on my position about six different times and blew through reinforcements.

Is that just a thing that happens on higher difficulties or is that a thing that bots do or a building or something?

AFAIK it's an unlisted bot condition that can show up on higher difficulty levels. There's no way to know if it's active before the mission starts. It's dumb.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Crain posted:

As much as the current server limitations suck, it's actually kinda giving me some hope for the games industry going forward. This is third major release in recent memory that's come out of nowhere, from very small teams, directly targeting long time AAA genres, and eating their lunch.

Battlebit had similar server limitations and issues on launch, even getting to a point where the devs (literally 3 dudes, maybe 4) came out and said that they might go under before they actually got the massive paycheck from all the launch sales because trying to scale the servers was costing them so much so fast. Thankfully they figured it out. But that game was created explicitly to make a Battlefield game that fans actually wanted without all the poo poo that EA shoved into the game, and it worked so well.

Palworld didn't have any issues with capacity because it's mostly single player with online co-op that doesn't need fully online server hosting. But again, even as jank as it is, and how clearly it's a competent almost-an-asset-flip game, they made a loving open world Pokemon game that people actually wanted.

Now Helldivers 2 is showing AAA companies how to do a Live Service game correctly with solid gameplay, progression, and just everything. Small team of actually passionate artists making something that they really want to exist.

The server problems are an issue of success. If it weren't one of the best new games out right now we wouldn't be having these issues, because no one would be trying to play it. They'll solve the server issues eventually.

Lethal Company is another one that came out of nowhere and blew up for a bit. Just a one person shop too.

I didn't get to play it much, but it was 90% of my Youtube feed for a good month.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i highly doubt that the discord drama had any impact on the overall amount of negative reviews, like you seem to be arguing

I am not arguing how much that drama had an impact on it. I'm just adding additional context because I know that there's plenty of people posting here who weren't there for it so they don't know about it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I give it a week or two before the servers aren't on fire anymore, if it goes longer then that they have some real fundamental problems to work through and will start losing player numbers.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bandire posted:

Lethal Company is another one that came out of nowhere and blew up for a bit. Just a one person shop too.

I didn't get to play it much, but it was 90% of my Youtube feed for a good month.

It was fine. Neat concept, decent execution, fun to play with friends, but absolutely zero staying power. My friends group got about three weeks out of it, because its replayability drops off a cliff after about that long. You've done everything there is to do, seen everything there is to see, poo poo yourself in all the ways you can poo poo yourself.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The people spamming the discord or getting angry about it look ridiculous. But at the same time its pretty amusing how basic the discord is. It's like the community manager had kind of heard of discord but didn't really know anything about it, so they started a server and added a whole three channels or so and called it done.

also arrowhead forgot to update the steam discussions patch notes for 3 patches and now they've deleted the thread rather than keep it up
Not on the discord myself but this probably stems from the lower player count expectations too lol. Like you don’t need a lot of channels if you're expecting the peak player count to be 1/50th of what it currently is, and only a small fraction of that is going to be on discord.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Where's the "Helldivers 2 is a plucky indie success story" thing coming from? Arrowhead Games is a 100+ person company and the game was published by and funded by Sony over the course of nearly 8 years. I wouldn't be too surprised if we find out they're getting acquired by Sony soon.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Scoss posted:

What's the deal with this game?

It seems to be having some viral success and it looks fun but the steam reviews are not good.

From what I can tell the game's online infrastructure is collapsing under its own weight, is that the only problem?

Game is good, but they’ve exceeded their pre-launch “wildest imagined success” numbers by like 4-500% at this point and they’re running into problems because they literally didn’t build the game backend with having half of the people on the internet trying to play it in mind.

On the flip side 2023 was the year of like every loving AAA studio hyping the hell out of their blockbuster sequel and then immediately screwing the pooch as hard as they possibly could, usually after selling a whole bunch of $70+ pre-orders. Add to that all the gamer types that do poo poo like spend $20 on Valheim, drop 400 hours on it, and spend half their time bitching that the next expansion isn’t done yet and voila! mixed recent Steam reviews.

It’s unstable and iffy right now but it’s still very playable if you take some time, and even in the current state it’s worth $40 if you enjoy pve co-op

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Volte posted:

Where's the "Helldivers 2 is a plucky indie success story" thing coming from? Arrowhead Games is a 100+ person company and the game was published and funded by Sony over the course of nearly 8 years. I wouldn't be too surprised if we find out they're getting acquired by Sony soon.

Think maybe there's been a miscommunication here. Arrowhead is an "AA" studio. The jump from "AA" to "AAA" is enormous. For reference, Ubisoft has around 2,000 people working on Assassin's Creeds. 3,000 people work on Call of Duty. So yeah, the guys who have 5% of the staff are taking on the big boys, it's very much a David vs Goliath thing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Volte posted:

Where's the "Helldivers 2 is a plucky indie success story" thing coming from? Arrowhead Games is a 100+ person company and the game was published by and funded by Sony over the course of nearly 8 years. I wouldn't be too surprised if we find out they're getting acquired by Sony soon.

What "plucky indie success story" are you talking about? I don't think i've seen that come up in this thread at all.

We've talked about how they said that their expectations were much lower than reality.

Edit: I just searched, the only time the word "indie" comes up in this thread is in this post There are no references to "independent"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

CainFortea posted:

What "plucky indie success story" are you talking about? I don't think i've seen that come up in this thread at all.

We've talked about how they said that their expectations were much lower than reality.

Edit: I just searched, the only time the word "indie" comes up in this thread is in this post There are no references to "independent"
Someone compared Lethal Company to Helldivers 2, and maybe in other threads I've seen the "small team having a success out of nowhere" thing repeatedly. It just felt like people didn't realize this is a relatively big budget Sony game. I guess I misunderstood the point being made.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Think maybe there's been a miscommunication here. Arrowhead is an "AA" studio. The jump from "AA" to "AAA" is enormous. For reference, Ubisoft has around 2,000 people working on Assassin's Creeds. 3,000 people work on Call of Duty. So yeah, the guys who have 5% of the staff are taking on the big boys, it's very much a David vs Goliath thing.
Well yeah, those are basically industries unto themselves, that's true. Sony's first party studios aren't nearly that big though, which is what I was thinking of as a comparison. Naughty Dog has like ~400 employees, Guerrilla has like ~350.

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 20, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Volte posted:

Because Sony barely promoted it and it wasn't an overhyped AAA game. People love a game that under promises and over delivers. Baldurs gate 3 is also considered a plucky little success story for similar reasons, despite being made by a very large team on a fairly big budget. And at the end of the day I think both games get a lot of love because they uh, feel like they have a lot of love put into them.

Also I don't think I have ever heard anyone call it an indie game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Volte posted:

It doesn't occur to most people what "indie" actually means. Bungie was an indie dev for a while, for instance

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This is probably a dumb question, but...how do you play with other people? I see a Quickplay option at the Galactic War panel, but despite hundreds of thousands of people playing the game it just sits there on a timer and never actually places me into a game. And there doesn't seem to be any kind of game browser to see what's going on at any given time, it looks like my only option is to create my own game, and nobody ever joins it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Matchmaking is hosed and that's the most common experience. Join the goon group and play with goons you can much more reliably play with specific people than rely on matchmaking for now.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

veni veni veni posted:

Because Sony barely promoted it and it wasn't an overhyped AAA game. People love a game that under promises and over delivers. Baldurs gate 3 is also considered a plucky little success story for similar reasons, despite being made by a very large team on a fairly big budget. And at the end of the day I think both games get a lot of love because they uh, feel like they have a lot of love put into them.

Also I don't think I have ever heard anyone call it an indie game.
Yeah, good point. Indie was the wrong word to use, more like "small self-directed team making the game that they want to make on limited resources". The spirit of an indie game as opposed to literally a game by an independently-funded studio.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Phanatic posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but...how do you play with other people? I see a Quickplay option at the Galactic War panel, but despite hundreds of thousands of people playing the game it just sits there on a timer and never actually places me into a game. And there doesn't seem to be any kind of game browser to see what's going on at any given time, it looks like my only option is to create my own game, and nobody ever joins it.

Quick play is pretty much on the ropes right now. There are some jank methods that work sometimes for some folks and not for others.

The easiest way is to find friends outside of the game. Steam friends, or discords to make groups and use the steam friends list to join games with other people.

When things are working, there are ways in game to find other people's games right on the map. It's just borked right now due to server stress.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phanatic posted:

The backend for this game is a raging inferno at the moment so you can chalk any issues with matchmaking/multiplayer up to that. Normally you matchmake to find a random game or find people running missions on the planet and clicking on it to join them. But none of that poo poo is working at the moment because again the game is getting blown the gently caress up.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I've been looking for a replacement for Mass Effect 3 multiplayer for years, will this fit the bill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Depends on what you liked about ME3 multiplayer. The gameplay itself is starkly different but the "small operation that contributes to a larger war effort" stuff is great.

Also no game has ever successfully matched how good it felt to use the Mattock rifle in Mass Effect.