Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

There's no way they get to Halo before the final seconds of Season Two, especially seeing as leaked episode titles make it seems like we are making a detour to loving Onyx of all places.

Hahahahahahha of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PriorMarcus posted:

Has the Mandy Patinkin version of Knives Out started yet too?

This is how I found out there's a Mandy Patinkin version of Knives Out :psyduck:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s an extraordinarily dumb take because the entire point of the show is to show how he got to that point.

What did you want, a “wacky client of the week”?

100%

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jerusalem posted:

This is how I found out there's a Mandy Patinkin version of Knives Out :psyduck:

Don’t think it’s any relation to Knives Out, OP just used it as a comparative.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gotcha, so looking it up it's a show called Death and Other Details about a murder on a cruise ship. I don't recognize any of the other names in the cast but I'll give it a go based on Mandy Patinkin.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Has the Halo show confirmed that Master Chief's suit jacks him off?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordiceius posted:

Has the Halo show confirmed that Master Chief's suit jacks him off?

It doesn't need to, he just fucks now

And cries

Usually not at the same time though

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Who would win in a fight - Master Chief or REACHER?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mordiceius posted:

Depends, did Master Chief commit a small violation like jaywalking that would give Reacher the excuse to rip his leg off and beat him with it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Medullah posted:

Depends, did Master Chief commit a small violation like jaywalking that would give Reacher the excuse to rip his leg off and beat him with it?

Chief is a small time drug dealer, so Reacher hits him with an SUV to take his pistol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll never bet against a man whose own mother calls him by his last name

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Chief is a small time drug dealer, so Reacher hits him with an SUV to take his pistol.

Man, I heard so much praise for Reacher that I watched it, and while the 1st season was dumb fun that second season REALLY dug deep into weirdo Boomer energy in an unpleasant way. The repeat "joke" of running over/assaulting that drug dealer and taunting him was bad enough, but the episode where they torture and threaten the life of a guy who thinks he is helping shelter a domestic abuse victim, force him to give her up, then make fun of him to his face, was unbelievably gross.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The "Resident Alien" premiere was great.

If we get more seasons (hopefully) they are going to have to either step up filming or put a bit of a time skip in place because Judah Prehn is growing up fast.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jerusalem posted:

Man, I heard so much praise for Reacher that I watched it, and while the 1st season was dumb fun that second season REALLY dug deep into weirdo Boomer energy in an unpleasant way. The repeat "joke" of running over/assaulting that drug dealer and taunting him was bad enough, but the episode where they torture and threaten the life of a guy who thinks he is helping shelter a domestic abuse victim, force him to give her up, then make fun of him to his face, was unbelievably gross.

That seems to be the consensus on Reacher around here. What do you even call revenge fantasy directed at everything? Boomer energy works, I guess.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

If we get more seasons (hopefully) they are going to have to either step up filming or put a bit of a time skip in place because Judah Prehn is growing up fast.

I hope they just ignore it. Yeah he was in 2nd grade last year and now he's a junior in high school, what of it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Master Chief beat up some normal guys this season and backhanded one guy so hard he literally went flying.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Master Chief beat up some normal guys this season and backhanded one guy so hard he literally went flying.

Yeah, but that's your average Tuesday afternoon for REACHER.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

This season is the final one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

IRQ posted:

That seems to be the consensus on Reacher around here. What do you even call revenge fantasy directed at everything? Boomer energy works, I guess.

His books were written for boomers and boomers love seeing people get punished for perceived crimes. A friend of mine has read the books and when I mentioned it from the show he went through like 3 different books he was guessing the season was based on because Reacher apparently beats up a black drug dealer in multiple books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every best selling series of thrillers is written for boomers. Subsequent generations read best selling series of fantasy novels.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Open Source Idiom posted:

This season is the final one.

There's been no announcement that I can find to that effect.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It blew my mind to learn that the author behind REACHER is loving British.

Yet he made the most US boomer wet dream character. "Yeah, my character is big and tough and can beat up everyone and is also smarter than any scientist and can stop a bullet with his muscles and understands quantum physics and while his mother refers to his older brother by first name, they refer to him by his last name."

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
e: Sorry I have poor media literacy.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 20, 2024

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

zoux posted:

Every best selling series of thrillers is written for boomers. Subsequent generations read best selling series of fantasy novels.

The Reacher books are honestly better than most other long running thriller series. It's a low bar to clear but at least they have actual stories and aren't just lightly reskinned Fox News editorials or Breitbart articles by authors who also cash cheques from right wing think tanks and private millitary contractors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Reacher books are honestly better than most other long running thriller series. It's a low bar to clear but at least they have actual stories and aren't just lightly reskinned Fox News editorials or Breitbart articles by authors who also cash cheques from right wing think tanks and private millitary contractors.

Get back to me when Lee Child cusslers himself directly into a novel to rescue his OC.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I read one Reacher novel I think and the only memorable part about it was the overall story being bland. He learns that a company town is being terrorized by the company. He fights the company folks. Every thug he takes on says 'You'll never stop them. They're too powerful.' But then he does go all the way up the hierarchy and indeed stops them.

Interspersed with things like him buying the cheapest, lowest quality shoes at the surplus store and packs of the cheapest shirts at the department store. I forget if that's because he doesn't care about material things or because he's a destitute veteran.

No idea if I enjoyed reading it or not.

In any case half of what King rights are generic stories filled with poorly used slang and caricatures that you'd expect to find at the airport. (Well, okay, somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/2.) So I'll give the Reacher author the benefit of the doubt even if I don't particular have a drive to read any more.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I should have seen the writing on the wall when the first Reacher scene in the second season was him being irritated by a YOUNG PERSON :argh: not really giving a poo poo about working the cash register at their below minimum wage job.

Edit: On a brighter note, I enjoyed the first episode of Death and Other Details, though that may be down to loving Paul Kinsey being in it! :woop:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 20, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Quote is not edit, folks. I am the world's greatest detective.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Get back to me when Lee Child cusslers himself directly into a novel to rescue his OC.

Is that better or worse than when Stephen King inserted himself into his Dark Tower series to have his characters save him from that time he got run over by a van?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Is that better or worse than when Stephen King inserted himself into his Dark Tower series to have his characters save him from that time he got run over by a van?

Those books got loving weird as poo poo. Dr. Doom wolves, the ultimate evil being some old man squealing and throwing snitches from Harry Potter that turn into grenades before he gets rubbed out of existance except for his eyes, Stephen King literally stopping the book for a page to beg you to stop reading...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

Stephen King literally stopping the book for a page to beg you to stop reading...

This was my favorite part. I get being pissed if you had been reading the series for decades, but since I read them all in one go, having King say, "Look, no ending is ever going to make you happy, so just stop now. Isn't the journey the important thing? But if you HAVE to have an ending, fine, I wrote one for you. But you're not gonna like it." was so god drat funny to me, I couldn't help but love it.

But again, if you were a fan for literally decades, I can understand seeing that as bullshit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Dark Tower series is full of metafiction from the jump, so it's not as jarring as Clive Cussler showing up on his boat to give Dirk Pitt a lift.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I should have seen the writing on the wall when the first Reacher scene in the second season was him being irritated by a YOUNG PERSON :argh: not really giving a poo poo about working the cash register at their below minimum wage job.

Edit: On a brighter note, I enjoyed the first episode of Death and Other Details, though that may be down to loving Paul Kinsey being in it! :woop:

Not sure if its consistent in the books, but one of his show habits is to always be respectful to service employees and call them by their names when he can.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The best boomer thriller series will always be Richard Stark's Parker. Also the best media adaptations, you can fight me on that.

Find yourself a copy of The Outfit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBLuiXCGF6A

edit: Here's Tarantino gushing for half an hour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krQ3YfGX4AI

edit edit: actually that video is real weird, Tarrantino's opinions on Parker are weird, and the whole thing is suffused with AI.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 21, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

This was my favorite part. I get being pissed if you had been reading the series for decades, but since I read them all in one go, having King say, "Look, no ending is ever going to make you happy, so just stop now. Isn't the journey the important thing? But if you HAVE to have an ending, fine, I wrote one for you. But you're not gonna like it." was so god drat funny to me, I couldn't help but love it.

But again, if you were a fan for literally decades, I can understand seeing that as bullshit.

I don't know if it was a full decades but I'd been reading them over the course of years and waiting for new ones. I was happy to oblige, I took his word for and think I made the right choice. Likewise I think GRRM should take note, if his show version was accurate to his overall end state, then it stunk on ice. H'd be better freeze framing at a big staging of a battlefield between final rival powers and alliances and end forever there, or doing a Stephen King and inserting himself as a scribe monk or whatever they called em and tell the reader some poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

The best boomer thriller series will always be Richard Stark's Parker. Also the best media adaptations, you can fight me on that.

I loved Payback but it is hard to watch nowadays given Mel Gibson's... well everything, but also his penchant for always getting tortured on-screen just feels so incredibly obvious now.

That said, it was a gateway drug into Point Blank and then reading some great stuff by Richard Stark, and also in a completely unrelated matter I love the writing of Donald Westlake too.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have good news for those of us who buy physical media!

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1760016790195716146

Disney and Sony reportedly have signed a major deal for Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to take over all of Disney’s physical media production going forward.

(Source: https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/022024-1000)

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Edward Mass posted:

I have good news for those of us who buy physical media!

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1760016790195716146

Disney and Sony reportedly have signed a major deal for Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to take over all of Disney’s physical media production going forward.

(Source: https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/022024-1000)

They better have traded Spider-Man for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At least they are still going to do them then.

In other news Fubo is not amused that respective media empires are building the sports streaming service they wanted too build.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/20/fubotv-sues-disney-fox-warner-bros-over-sports-joint-venture.html

quote:

Sports streaming platform FuboTV is suing Disney, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery over their recently announced joint venture, citing what the company calls "extreme suppression of competition in the U.S. sports-focused streaming market," according to a copy of the lawsuit obtained by CNBC.