Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://imgur.com/a/ufDAouo

make money money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Is there no tutorial in the full version?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
im goin wild with all this poker

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Amorphous Abode posted:

It put me through a tutorial in the full version at least.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

what the poo poo is this

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Motherfucker.

I had set up my deck to run around two pairs (I had a Joker that increased Mult by the number of times a hand had been played on the run, a Joker that multiplied my Mult by 1,5x for every time a hand had been played on that round and my Two Pair was at level 6) and then I got a boss that didn't allow the same hand to be played more than once.

RIP my run.

E:

Amorphous Abode posted:

there is, it launched me directly to that on the PS5. Maybe if you have a save from the demo version it lets you skip it?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

vogonity posted:

I keep forgetting this game is coming to consoles as well. Does anyone know if there will be some Joy-Con HD rumble on Switch or DualSense haptics on PS5?

Just grabbed the switch version and can confirm it’s got rumble

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Amorphous Abode posted:

first game should start with the seed TUTORIAL but if not then you can always pop that one in there and experience the jokery delights

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's balatroin' time :clint:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

what the poo poo is this

Answer: it was good. My first two jokers (other than a Popcorn to get the ball rolling) turned played face cards to gold cards and gave money for playing face cards, so I got quite a bit of money generation whether I played or held face cards. Then I got the DNA card which copies a single card if you play it alone as the first hand of the round, which let me stuff my deck with gold kings, and then I got the pictured legendary and started hunting for Hanged Man cards, and since that wasn't silly enough I also picked up Photograph and then replaced it with "1.5x mult for every held King." So most rounds consisted of playing a single king, copying it, and immediately clearing the round with overkill.

It looks like new stuff you unlock is immediately available in the current run, which is very nice IMO.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Balatro is here!

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

first game should start with the seed TUTORIAL but if not then you can always pop that one in there and experience the jokery delights

Yeah, now I'm guessing because I exited to desktop before my first game, it must have swapped seeds? That or it reads demo data. Thanks for the seed, though!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

what the poo poo is this

I got one of those, too:

viriditas
Sep 13, 2013
Looks like it's out in the (UK) switch eshop now.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

seems like a pretty good first run after the demo

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

This is madness.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!

barnold posted:

two pair about to go crazy with this one

I got this about halfway through my first run. Between this and the voucher that ensures a planet card for my most played hand in celestial packs, I had 2 pair up to level 14. Needless to say I won the game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It seems like blind thresholds scale up more slowly than in the demo, too, so there's a bit more breathing room. It does make a bit of sense because there's higher difficulties available now, but I will miss the aggressive pacing of the demo. I think it was a big part of the addictiveness, there was very little filler compared to e.g. Slay the Spire, Luck Be A Landlord, etc.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Southern Cassowary posted:

seems like a pretty good first run after the demo

Well, you annihilated me but I still was doing pretty good. "High card" was my most played because I had the joker that gives +1 for every hand you play so I'd play my spare hands to get future multiplier since I had a ton of money rolling in from another joker.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
how in the poo poo are you supposed to build a deck to beat The Fish. is there a joker that reveals face down cards somewhere :psyduck:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

barnold posted:

how in the poo poo are you supposed to build a deck to beat The Fish. is there a joker that reveals face down cards somewhere :psyduck:

Either have enough things that add +chips and +multiplier and xmultiplier regardless of what you play that you can get useful amounts of points from lovely hands, have enough things that enable big hands that you can get them reliably even with few discards or even just blindly guessing, or if you're specialized in playing very specific hands that you have to burn discards to fish for then make sure they're good enough that you can blow through anything with one big hand.

You can also play around the facedown cards by puzzling out what they're likely to be based on suit/rank sorting cross-referenced to what's left in your deck, or by holding on to a tarot card that modifies selected cards (which will briefly reveal whatever you use them on, and also possibly render the card's original identity irrelevant.)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to buy this on the Switch and PC aren't I? And then again when the currently unannounced Android port comes out, so I don't have to lug my Switch around.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

I'm going to buy this on the Switch and PC aren't I?

I am

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
This works on Deck I assume since there's a switch version?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

KingKapalone posted:

The review I read said even though it isn't Deck Verified it runs perfectly well but the text may be a touch small in some instances

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

barnold posted:

This blind's description isnt clear enough. Everyone has this initial reaction including me. It only gives you face down cards after you play a hand not after you discard, so you can discard face downs and get face ups.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

KingKapalone posted:

The demo worked fine on Steam Deck for me.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Was able to play a few games before work, ended up trying the Endless Mode after a run.

Holy poo poo that scales aggressively. I think I needed like, more than one million chips for a small blind?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Had my first full release Balatro bone headed move where I played a single high card (it had a gold seal so I wanted the $3) forgetting that the boss mechanic was play only 1 hand type.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
lmao get balatro'd

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

Either have enough things that add +chips and +multiplier and xmultiplier regardless of what you play that you can get useful amounts of points from lovely hands, have enough things that enable big hands that you can get them reliably even with few discards or even just blindly guessing, or if you're specialized in playing very specific hands that you have to burn discards to fish for then make sure they're good enough that you can blow through anything with one big hand.

You can also play around the facedown cards by puzzling out what they're likely to be based on suit/rank sorting cross-referenced to what's left in your deck, or by holding on to a tarot card that modifies selected cards (which will briefly reveal whatever you use them on, and also possibly render the card's original identity irrelevant.)

fish came up as the 2nd boss (I think?) and I just didn't have enough time to build something like this

Popete posted:

Had my first full release Balatro bone headed move where I played a single high card (it had a gold seal so I wanted the $3) forgetting that the boss mechanic was play only 1 hand type.

for me it was this except I accidentally discarded a hand that would have won the round instead of playing it because I'm a stupid idiot who can't click buttons apparently. I had two blue seal cards in my hand! it could have been planet city

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

death cob for cutie posted:

Was able to play a few games before work, ended up trying the Endless Mode after a run.

Holy poo poo that scales aggressively. I think I needed like, more than one million chips for a small blind?

Yeah, Endless Mode gets ridiculous very quickly. Ante 12 is 300,000,000 chips.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
This game is so goddamn good y'all

Also, while I personally enjoy the gradual unlocks, I really appreciate that they have a button to just unlock everything if you want. I'm tempted to use one of the apt profiles for that and completely lose my mind with broken combos, I'll probably see what I can do with regular gameplay in the next few days though.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

best strat for beating the fish is to build to win in one turn lol

this is based on the demo and two games so obvious grain of salt but right now i think the most consistent strategy is just aggressively chasing flush builds. you can very consistently get a flush of a specific suit on the first turn with very mild tarot use and then you just look for any joker that consistently gives multipliers. you fade most of the annoying blinds by winning in one turn with a flush other than if you happen to hit the suit debuff and you built hard into a specific suit, but even that's usually able to be played around.

my first game i won off of ancient joker giving 1.5x on every card played on a flush and scored over a million, second game i went really hard into hearts and got bloodstone which game me a 1/3 chance of a 2x multiplier for every heart and scored 250k. was never really threatened in either.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I built a deck with Midas Mask, Baseball, and Flash Card as the rightmost 3 jokers and this has completely broken the game. every face card turns gold, which means I max out my cash at the end of each round by having them in my hand, which means I can buy more re-rolls in the shop, which continually increases the multiplier for Flash Card, and then multiplies all of that with Baseball for the rest of my uncommon Jokers. this game loving rules

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, Endless Mode gets ridiculous very quickly. Ante 12 is 300,000,000 chips.

Was just about to post this. I continued my earlier run into endless mode and was feeling like very hot poo poo after Ante 11, that didn't last very long.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Saw someone on reddit make it to ante 13 and score 21 billion points and it wasn't enough lol. God I wish I weren't at work I'm dying over here

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

barnold posted:

I built a deck with Midas Mask, Baseball, and Flash Card as the rightmost 3 jokers and this has completely broken the game. every face card turns gold, which means I max out my cash at the end of each round by having them in my hand, which means I can buy more re-rolls in the shop, which continually increases the multiplier for Flash Card, and then multiplies all of that with Baseball for the rest of my uncommon Jokers. this game loving rules

this setup got me to Verdant Leaf, where I had to sell the only common joker I had left (x3 mult for every joker), but easily beat the boss by crushing two pairs

40k may have been my top hand but when you're getting 30-35k nonstop every hand you play It Just Works™

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

No Wave posted:

This blind's description isnt clear enough. Everyone has this initial reaction including me. It only gives you face down cards after you play a hand not after you discard, so you can discard face downs and get face ups.

i didn't had that reaction because i am smart and read carefully, teehee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Green Deck is going to make a lot of people happy I think: you get money based on hands/discards remaining instead of getting interest, so if you like to invest all your money right away so you can overkill early rounds then it's going to make a lot of money.

I'm irritated that difficulties have to be unlocked separately for each deck though, there's too many decks for that.