Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Dokapon Findom posted:

I didn't allow it, you allowed it! :mad:

I voted for Unregistered Chemical VZ-07235 (pending approval)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

SixteenShells posted:

Someone left the glue bottle out and Bayer rolled in it

zodium .... n-noooo!! :negative:

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

hard to say if it was the turf or living in Philly that did it though

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

TeenageArchipelago posted:

GMOs can unite all three in one.

Is the chemical in quat a pesticide?

yes and no. One of those "dose makes the poison" things. it interferes with typical hormone signaling, altering... pretty much everything about ongoing development and physiology. The way that it's used in this case isn't meant to kill the plant, just change how it grows for agricultural benefit. But I'm confident a different method or dose of application could make it a handy pesticide. For an example, consider 2,4-D: it's a synthetic plant hormone, it activates the same receptors as auxins. It doesn't inherently kill the plant (it's used in research labs all the time, I've used it myself), but putting a fuckton of the stuff on a plant systemically is a disaster. Completely fucks up its normal development. Dump a barrel of the stuff on a patch of trees and you have a stand of dead wood soon enough.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

MLK Ultra posted:

I'm at the track made out of cancer
I'm at the Superfund site remediated as a school sports field
I'm at the combination track made out of cancer Superfund site remediated as a school sports field
lol, i guess our poisoning of the environment, built and otherwise, is just a particular form of the concept that 'nothing is profitable [if you account for externalities]'
CA Prop 65 warnings are just a microcosm of this, i guess - they are, rightly, loving everywhere, and as a result, people just ignore them.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/PlanktonPundit/status/1759990415468413170

Nothing to worry about I'm sure.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Can human civilization at its current size scale back to things like old-style refillable glass bottles in a system where the energy efficiencies in moving to transporting lightweight plastic containers instead has already been consumed?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Dokapon Findom posted:

Can human civilization at its current size scale back to things like old-style refillable glass bottles in a system where the energy efficiencies in moving to transporting lightweight plastic containers instead has already been consumed?

can it? probably. Will it? no.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
We can do it as long as we pipe milk

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i won't live long enough to see it, but i wish i were alive to see the complete abolishment and abhorrence of plastic, except in extreme medically necessary (and probably military) circumstances

the imperial plastics ministry oversees and enforces the strict regulation and employment of all plastics in society. it answers directly to mecha-eco-stalin

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

(we'll all just die)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

(we'll all just die)

hell yeah brother

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

i won't live long enough to see it, but i wish i were alive to see the complete abolishment and abhorrence of plastic, except in extreme medically necessary (and probably military) circumstances

the imperial plastics ministry oversees and enforces the strict regulation and employment of all plastics in society. it answers directly to mecha-eco-stalin

i bet we would see improvement just banning it from clothing. alas we cannot do without shein

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Wear long sleeves to prevent cancer from breathing in car tire fumes = wash your hands to avoid covid

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

wild to see people in this thread opposing the NFL's efforts to eliminate the late in life effects of CTE

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

hmmm but you see the scientists say plastic is already in everything, so clearly we don't need to bother with eliminating it

learn to live in our big beautiful plasticized world

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Dokapon Findom posted:

I've switched to all bar soap, shampoo, moisturizer, lotion, etc and all of it comes in actually compostable paper packaging and it honestly rocks and ends up being overall cheaper than the plastic bottle poo poo i was buying before.

I think its totally possible to completely switch back and its mostly that you have to have governments banning plastic making/use at the source.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Steel is the natural enemy of plastic, so I'm learning to weld

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

WEll it's not really plastic's fault now, is it??

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Karach posted:

Steel is the natural enemy of plastic, so I'm learning to weld
the finest Hanzo HDPE, produced the traditional way

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

mawarannahr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvPbQdbsQUI

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Steel owns. Iron is the sacred element of baby universe yolks

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mawarannahr posted:

:blessed:

quote:

Zerthimon took the blade and studied its surface. In it, he saw his reflection. It was in the reflection of the plastic that Zerthimon first *knew* himself. Its edge was sharp, its will the wearer's. It was the blade that would come to be raised against Gith when Zerthimon made the Pronouncement of Two Skies.

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
lol if using plastics for storage & shipping aren’t really that more efficient than lightweight metals bc of the resources used in making plastics & the longevity of plastic vs metal
would love to see a study about this!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I had cancer and I played goalie add me to the list coach

hell I had a friend the same too lol

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

A fun little exercise is to try to think of a point in your day where you weren't directly interacting with something made of plastic

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Argentum posted:

lol if using plastics for storage & shipping aren’t really that more efficient than lightweight metals bc of the resources used in making plastics & the longevity of plastic vs metal
would love to see a study about this!

Of course they're more efficient, they contribute directly to the oil and gas industry's bottom line!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

kater posted:

I had cancer and I played goalie add me to the list coach

hell I had a friend the same too lol

there was a class-action lawsuit a while back. I remember the news stories on it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dog Case posted:

A fun little exercise is to try to think of a point in your day where you weren't directly interacting with something made of plastic

completely naked just before getting into the shower

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Microplastics posted:

Standing on vinyl flooring

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Microplastics posted:

honestly gonna say if the showers running you're just getting blasted with it, the air teems with life (death)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Microplastics posted:

I thought that but my shower is plastic, my flooring is vinyl, the shower knob is plastic, the shower head is plastic, the shampoo bottles are plastic. The towel I'm standing on is cotton but the thread in the stitching is probably polyester

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Microplastics posted:

microplastic dust wafted into the air every time you move a textile product including your bathmat

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
pretty sure my tub itself is made from some kind of plastic product.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Arguing with a guy named Microplastics about how he's not owned by plastics, actually

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Each day at noon when I astral project into the center of the sun.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Plastic with me,
Plastic before me,
Plastic behind me,
Plastic in me,
Plastic beneath me,
Plastic above me,
Plastic on my right,
Plastic on my left,
Plastic when I lie down,
Plastic when I sit down,