Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Ugh I hate answering interview questions. Even more so when they are being asked as part of an application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Collateral Damage posted:

On the topic of database performance a pitfall I've run into a few times is that your database engine will cache tables in memory and as long as your tables are small enough to stay cached you won't notice how inefficient your queries are because it's still lightning fast as long as they're in RAM. So you load up a few gigs of test data and run your tests and everything passes with flying colors, so you sign off and put it in production.

Fast forward x months/years and your production data has grown to the point where it no longer fits entirely in RAM cache and your performance drops off a cliff and now all your users are mad about it.

Database and query optimizations are something that scratches the itch for me. I don't know why, and I'm not very good at it, but I love tucking into a performance problem like that. It's not unheard of to see hundreds, even thousands, of times performance increase if you know what knobs to turn.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well if you can help the Helldivers devs it would be greatly appreciated. The gamers are getting antsy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Internet Explorer posted:

Well if you can help the Helldivers devs it would be greatly appreciated. The gamers are getting antsy.

Why don't they just scale horizontally? :yaycloud:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Hughmoris posted:

Why don't they just scale horizontally? :yaycloud:

the gamers have reached the limits of that after the invention of doritos flavor mt dew

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

I’ve trolled the subreddit some because of the “I pAiD $40 I dEsErVe AcCeSs!!!” posts.

Capital G Gamers are the absolute worst.

poo poo happens. It’s a video game, get over it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Remember when the tsunami hit Japan and gamers were pissed that the ff servers were taken off line.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:lol:'d pretty hard at the idiot on Twitter telling them to just bring the game to Xbox and get more servers for free. Bing bang boom, so simple it is never simple.

So my boss has had me shadowing our netops team since I got my CCNA at the end of last year. They've been great and it's nice just seeing most of the stuff they're doing isn't stupidly overwhelming to me at this point. Though most of them are short timers as they were laid off after our merger went through, and will be leaving the company at some point next month. They're all pretty sanguine about it since they knew well ahead of time and seem to be getting solid severance packages. My division was untouched for whatever reason, but some of these guys seem to think I'm going to be taking over their roles once they leave (network engineer), which lol no, I am still only a desktop support tech.

I did have a conversation with my boss about how they did have some patching they had to do late on a Saturday, and I didn't attend/observe because I'm hourly and it's not my job to do so at this point. He agreed, and said that that's certainly not expected of me. I then said half joking/half serious "Yeah I'm not against doing that kind of stuff, but that requires a new job title and pay bump so lol". He laughed and then we moved into other topics.

Anyways, he knows I want to pivot into the networking side of things, and has been incredibly supportive of that desire. My only hope is that either that promotion/pay bump happens sooner than later. He hasn't made any concrete promises or anything, but I'm hopeful for the future.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

Remember when the tsunami hit Japan and gamers were pissed that the ff servers were taken off line.

not really i was in high school at the time

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

tokin opposition posted:

not really i was in high school at the time
You weren't born for 9/11, were you?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

ilkhan posted:

You weren't born for 9/11, were you?

No I was born

I was in preschool

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean saying you couldn't play Final Fantasy because you were in high school seems a little iffy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

jaegerx posted:

I get your point and who really cares in this context, but why would they set this up with a single point of failure? Final Fantasy was a pretty huge game, was 2011 a dark time before putting failover capacity in different geographic locations to manage pretty much exactly this risk was a thing you did before a production release?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Gucci Loafers posted:

:same:

I was never a VP or Exec but goddamn if when I'm literally walking the office hallway to get a coffee I am often thinking about crap like the most recent MS Graph Permission abuse. If you want people to pay attention be succent and get to the point. Sending out meeting minutes or actually putting some notes in your meeting before sending it out really, really helps.

Anytime I run a meeting I send a recap of what we discussed and decided. This is partly for CYA purposes, so no one can say we didn't talk about x or whatever, but it also helps me keep track of what was discussed, helps anyone who couldn't attend, and gives people something written to refer to so they don't have to rely on their memories. This all seems very basic to me, but most people are extremely disorganized and do absolutely nothing to counteract that disorganization, and I think it really helps the people I work with. I really believe that my greatest contributions are organization, not technical.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There has to be at least an inch of accountability for that to matter. I'm still looking for an org that has some

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gucci Loafers posted:

:same:

I was never a VP or Exec but goddamn if when I'm literally walking the office hallway to get a coffee I am often thinking about crap like the most recent MS Graph Permission abuse. If you want people to pay attention be succent and get to the point. Sending out meeting minutes or actually putting some notes in your meeting before sending it out really, really helps.

I'm a firm believer in the power of clear and succinct communication, and that the lack of communication is the cause of most headaches. In business and in life, people usually just want to know what to expect and what is expected of them.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I get your point and who really cares in this context, but why would they set this up with a single point of failure? Final Fantasy was a pretty huge game, was 2011 a dark time before putting failover capacity in different geographic locations to manage pretty much exactly this risk was a thing you did before a production release?

Are you for real? You realize the entire country lost power right? A few thousand people lost their lives.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Are you for real? You realize the entire country lost power right? A few thousand people lost their lives.

I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t have shut down the servers. But how do you get to that point without having colos in Korea or something that spin up automatically?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t have shut down the servers. But how do you get to that point without having colos in Korea or something that spin up automatically?

You've heard of once in a century storms right?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Coming back to this... I'm watching a stream where the dude has been sitting at the "Servers are at capacity" screen for who knows how long. For any of you nerds playing the game, has there been any word on why they haven't been able to scale up to handle the capacity? Where's the bottleneck?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They haven't said specifically what the issue is, but it's clearly database issues. They added a max player cap as well as a max logins per minute cap. They recently said they're hosted in Azure. I'm sure they're hitting hard limits in multiple places.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 21, 2024

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They just learned from blizzard launches that if the supply of servers is low then player demand will go up. I learned something similar in econ too

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Right, natural disasters are one of the key reasons you develop and test disaster recovery plans. I think we're talking past each other, I'm not upset or anything they shut down the servers, just surprised that a large company releasing a major product didn't plan for that. If a major earthquake hits San Francisco it would be the last thing that matters, but YouTube and Netflix will probably keep on chugging.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

2011 was also a long time ago in ease of DR terms. And a lifetime in video game infra terms.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

. If a major earthquake hits San Francisco it would be the last thing that matters, but YouTube and Netflix will probably keep on chugging.

This seems optimistic.

Also girl have you seen how expensive cross-region network traffic is??

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I have made the required blood sacrifice to Cisco for the data center move to succeed

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s going one way. Acquisitions always end in being stripped for parts as the company needs to inflate its balance books to compensate for the debt in acquiring the company

There's a small bit of hope. Being acquired by a bigger company in industry sure, it's junkyard time. Being acquired by a PE firm that wants to pivot, grow, and sell can be alright.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Coming back to this... I'm watching a stream where the dude has been sitting at the "Servers are at capacity" screen for who knows how long. For any of you nerds playing the game, has there been any word on why they haven't been able to scale up to handle the capacity? Where's the bottleneck?

Basically what they've said/implied so far is that the bottleneck is in the syncing of all global data. The game is always-online and every mission played contributes to a shared, global war effort to 'liberate' planets bit by bit. From what I can glean from the dev's occasional posts, their databases just cannot keep up with close to a million people simultaneously trying to access them. I'm not a database guy by any means so I could be pretty off base but that's really what it seems like.

At one point last week they announced they were turning off a bunch of global stat tracking just to claw back some overhead

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

it was like 20,000 lol

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

kensei posted:

I have made the required blood sacrifice to Cisco for the data center move to succeed

As someone who superstitiously believes bleeding on her PC builds helps with reliability, huzzah!

Also glad it wasn't a worse injury, esp overseas. Make sure that thing is well disinfected...

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The tech news segment I watched said it was "lack of optimization, so like IE said probably the fault of databases and/or Java.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

Weird how many of those we get these days. I blame bitcoin

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

As someone who superstitiously believes bleeding on her PC builds helps with reliability, huzzah!

Taking chaos engineering to a whole new level :stonk:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
If you haven't cut the back of your hand when a molex connector finally gives way, you haven't built a PC or your are basically a baby.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

LochNessMonster posted:

Taking chaos engineering to a whole new level :stonk:

Your new computer will be Weak if you don't cut yourself on the lovely stamped steel case.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

johnny park posted:

Basically what they've said/implied so far is that the bottleneck is in the syncing of all global data. The game is always-online and every mission played contributes to a shared, global war effort to 'liberate' planets bit by bit. From what I can glean from the dev's occasional posts, their databases just cannot keep up with close to a million people simultaneously trying to access them. I'm not a database guy by any means so I could be pretty off base but that's really what it seems like.

At one point last week they announced they were turning off a bunch of global stat tracking just to claw back some overhead

This is one of the few times I can feel sympathy for devs. That architecture would probably have held up great if Helldivers 2 had only been twice or even four times as successful as Helldivers. The way it's just exploded in popularity, not so much, but I can understand why this level of success caught them by surprise.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

sinky posted:

Your new computer will be Weak if you don't cut yourself on the lovely stamped steel case.

Bonus points if you used snips to cut the steel away to make room for your GPU.

Did that to an old Dell case I got from someone and hooooh did that have some edges on it. My little murder Inspiron case with a 1080 Ti and a 9700k. Blood for the PC god, skulls for the IT throne :allears:

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This is one of the few times I can feel sympathy for devs. That architecture would probably have held up great if Helldivers 2 had only been twice or even four times as successful as Helldivers. The way it's just exploded in popularity, not so much, but I can understand why this level of success caught them by surprise.

This is exactly why I’ve been super chill about it. There were zero issues with access until Steam users hit like 250k — it’s now 400k. They’ve been giving updates and it seems like they’ve been working 24/7 to get a real solution. Glad I’m not on their infrastructure/DBA team though.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 21, 2024

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Oh my god learning all this Agile Framework jargon.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Prescription Combs posted:

Oh my god learning all this Agile Framework jargon.

The joy that is Scaled Agile Framework (enterprise)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

If you haven't cut the back of your hand when a molex connector finally gives way, you haven't built a PC or your are basically a baby.

Still got visible scars on my fingers from those old fold-out Dell desktop cases that seemed to be nice and round on the outside and then open up to literal plastic razor blades inside