Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Top down like the perspective? Smash TV / RTS / city builder / Arcade Shoot Em Up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I think those count as 3rd person now and top down means you have to click everything with your mouse. They should call them 'mouse clickies' to avoid the confusion.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Nice Van My Man posted:

I think those count as 3rd person now and top down means you have to click everything with your mouse. They should call them 'mouse clickies' to avoid the confusion.

I call them clicky-pickies.

Character action games like DMC are flashy-slashies

MGS games are walkie-stalkies

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love a walky stalky if there's the right talky with it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Too much talky like modern God of War or Last of Us games and we're in rambly-shambly territory

Or the modern horror games full of jumpscares we call rookie-spookies

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Khanstant posted:

I love a walky stalky if there's the right talky with it.

so, alpha protocol-likes then

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Death Stranding has the right talky. Talking if you're interested, easy to skip if you just wanna deliver. Players can only communicate through helping each other, or the best soapstone sign system yet.

The game also has naps, critical life feature sorely missing from most games and an unfortunate number of real lives too.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Hitman's got some good Stalky and some of the ambient talky is pretty good, and if you don't like it you can murder whoever's talkying.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Death Stranding has some of the only cutscenes worth watching

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

No it doesn't

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Mass Effect games should be played in order. You play the first one. Then don't play the others. Just play the first one again or something. Or...

Play the Arkham games. In order. Again, play the first and skip the rest.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
thats a strange one since a) mass effect 2 is the best mass effect and b) arkham knight is the best batman

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

None of the Batman games are good
All of the mass effect games are good, ME3 being the worst and ME2 being the best

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Die Hardman

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
it really weirds me out that mega man has a human face

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

death stranding was poo poo and if it hadn't been a kojima game no one would have cared about it

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

jokes posted:

None of the Batman games are good
All of the mass effect games are good, ME3 being the worst and ME2 being the best

ME2 might be the "best" game in the franchise, but it threw out the baby with the bathwater. I still pine for the game ME1 was trying to be, and that makes it the most memorable game.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Death Stranding had a lot of good ideas and I really liked it but it had the worst story cutscenes of anything he's made.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

George posted:

Death Stranding had a lot of good ideas and I really liked it but it had the worst story cutscenes of anything he's made.

Kojima had a game end with a feature length cut scene that was just exposition. I'd like to think that he couldn't get worse than this, but I know in my heart that he can.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

He's a hack and always has been

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
death stranding had a blatantly stupid and overblown plot and very fun game mechanics, i can totally see people on either side of the argument but i think its much more important games like that get made than the next assassins creed

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
he's a crackpot with unlimited resolve. that's slightly different than a hack

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

He reminds me of a college freshman who has gotten high and wants to share his deep thoughts on the military and politics with you.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Back in the early days, Kojima's games stood apart because he was an absolute beast when it came to assigning limited resources effectively. Which details deserve attention and what can be safely handwaved away, that's the sort of stuff where he really shined.

MGS1 is an absolute masterclass in that respect. Things like spending a lot of effort on bespoke effects to sell a helicopter's downdraft, while going "gently caress it, star trek TNG automatic doors. Nobody cares about doors".

In a world where resource constraints are not really a thing anymore, he just doesn't bring much to the table that others do better.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you can't appreciate the artistry of entire cutscenes of Norman Reedus slamming monster energy drinks and taking showers I don't know what to tell you. I also don't know what to tell you if you think World's Hardcorest Walking Sim is good mechanics though

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Wow. Look at you dipshittles posting here instead of playing Balatro.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm sure Norman Reedus is a nice bloke but I've only ever seen him in the Boondock Saints and the Walking Dead and both of those loving suck so goddamn much

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
He was alright in Charmed

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

and a little movie called Blade 2

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Aramis posted:

ME2 might be the "best" game in the franchise, but it threw out the baby with the bathwater. I still pine for the game ME1 was trying to be, and that makes it the most memorable game.

ME1 was a great world builder, but the gameplay kinda sucked.
ME2 had a great blend of world building and gameplay.
ME3 sucked as a world builder but had the best multiplayer ever.
ME4 was great at making me Alt
+F4 on the first world.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

hawowanlawow posted:

and a little movie called Blade 2

I don't remember reedus in blade 2 but it has been like 20 years since I watched it. Though I remember that Danny John-Jules was in it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah I'll complain about Mass Effect 3 the singleplayer game all day, but that multiplayer mode was aces. Not a fan of the gacha system but who cares I'm just here to snipe a guy through his shield. Too bad it lasted all of two weeks before the bulk of the fanbase cut and ran lol

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Fur20 posted:

Yeah I'll complain about Mass Effect 3 the singleplayer game all day, but that multiplayer mode was aces. Not a fan of the gacha system but who cares I'm just here to snipe a guy through his shield. Too bad it lasted all of two weeks before the bulk of the fanbase cut and ran lol

What? I had no problem getting multiplayer games within seconds for at least two years. I played that multiplayer so much that the health bar was burned into my old plasma TV.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ME3 mp owned

the single player series was okay but they only had like twelve different NPC models and it was very noticeable

lucking foser
Jan 10, 2023
revenant saga is the poo poo, don't listen to anyone who says it's just another mediocre kemco jrpg

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I had fun with ME: Andromeda whenever I wasn't being forced to traverse a giant, empty map to find the one things that mattered on it, which unfortunately was like 50% of the game.

Seriously, the combat and the powers were fun. The crew weren't as memorable as previous entries but I still grew to like them. The overall plot was fine. The weird new aliens were less interesting than stuff like the Hanar or Elkor, but they were cool.

But it's like Bioware looked at the first big map in Dragon Age: Inquisition (Hinterlands, I think?) and went "yeah! every level should be exactly like this boring poo poo where you have to travel for ages to find some other boring fetch quest poo poo!" (DA:I got less poo poo after that first big map, though I still didn't enjoy it).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

death stranding was poo poo and if it hadn't been a kojima game no one would have cared about it

Kojima peaked at Solid 3 and it's been all downhill from there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
ME1 is the best one. If you don't think so you need to reassess your life.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like how the sniper rifles in ME (1 especially) feel like you just knocked a motherfucker clean off his feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
ME1 may have the best world-building of any game ever.
From start to finish, it's basic story is top tier among video games.

Just those two things alone put it in the GOAT tier.