Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lately, I get offered YT playlists for giant chunks of unedited television broadcasts of like Toonami or DIC cartoons or whatever from the 80s-early 00s and ngl, if I were depressed as poo poo I'd probably warm bath that.

Presumably at least a few sad kids are catching up that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SubponticatePoster posted:

I knew it was time to start picking out a retirement home and a coffin when I heard Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) on the goddamn grocery store muzak channel, and that happened about 15 years ago :negative:

That song is awesome I'd be pumped to hear it

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I heard Interstate Love Song yesterday while grocery shopping. I’m fine with it. Nothing against her, but it’s better than hearing Taylor Swift or some other pop act yet again.

On the other hand, I heard Barenaked Ladies at Burger King the other day, and I hope it’s at least another twenty years before I hear them again, anywhere.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dillbag posted:

The 90s are as far away now as the 60s were in the 90s. So when you tell your kids about the music you listened to when you were their age, its like your parents talking about Manfred Mann or the Beach Boys.

The Beachstie Boys

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No Sleep Til Kokomo.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
What are your thoughts on Butthole Surfers?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I hope they dont' fall in

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Their live shows are gross and good

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Looking forward to the documentary on them that's been in development.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/A4BUf9ZCgnA?si=f-Z4xj-lj_tbRftM

happy sunday goons

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Weirdest thing I’ve ever heard in the background at a store was Ween, Freedom of ‘76, at a Sheetz. (Gas station/ fried food dispensery for non PA folks.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Not ‘90s but still topical: I liked it better when, if Pink Floyd’s “Money” was playing over a grocery store’s PA system, the “don’t give me that do-goody-good bullshit” line was still unedited

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

root beer posted:

Not ‘90s but still topical: I liked it better when, if Pink Floyd’s “Money” was playing over a grocery store’s PA system, the “don’t give me that do-goody-good bullshit” line was still unedited

Similarly, the line "Who the gently caress are you?" from The Who's "Who Are You". Cussing in Classic Rock didn't seem to count over the airwaves in the 90s if it was only once or twice per song.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

Meaty Ore posted:

Similarly, the line "Who the gently caress are you?" from The Who's "Who Are You". Cussing in Classic Rock didn't seem to count over the airwaves in the 90s if it was only once or twice per song.

Dire straits "money for nothing" got away with an F slur for like 40 years, at least on the local stations where I've lived.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sock it to me! posted:

Dire straits "money for nothing" got away with an F slur for like 40 years, at least on the local stations where I've lived.

I agree with Knopfler's own take that the eventual excision of that slur is fundamentally different from other kinds of music censorship, insomuch as its harm is to a marginalized group, vs taking swear words out of songs in order to make them "family friendly"

this is evidenced by your own point that radio stations were still playing the original unedited version years after other songs from the same time period had been changed for broadcast.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Similarly Guns & Roses' Mr. Brownstone has the "But that old man, he's a real motherfucker" line uncensored in every radio play region I've ever heard. I caught it one time in the 90's and I've noticed it every time since.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Elvis Costello still gets to drop the N-word in Oliver's Army when it gets played on Australian radio.

Still hear Funky Cold Medina, a song about using a date rape drug on women, with transphobia in the second half, too.

lol, just googled the song to see when it came out and I don't think whatever site google scraped actually understands what a "play on words" is.

quote:

The lyrics tell a humorous story about the consequences of using a drink called "Funky Cold Medina" as a supposed aphrodisiac. The term "Medina" refers to a city in Saudi Arabia, but in the context of the song, it is used as a play on words to rhyme with "funky" and "cold."

Or "rhyming".

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Feb 19, 2024

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Milo and POTUS posted:

That song is awesome I'd be pumped to hear it
It's a very good song, but when it's played on a grocery store background music station you know time has run away from you since that's relegated to inoffensive "oldies" 99% of the time. When it came out in the early 80s it was rather subversive. Or at least Annie Lennox's image was.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Still hear Funky Cold Medina, a song about using a date rape drug on women, with transphobia in the second half, too.
FCM is kind of interesting. It's that on its face, but he gives it to: his dog, which just humps his leg and apparently has gay dog sex with Spuds Mackenzie and Alex from Strohs; the trans lady (and while the transphobia is bad for the time period it's very mild - he just throws her out instead of beating her up or whatever); and his dating game co-contestant who wants to get married so he runs off. He never actually gets any and decides he's learned a lesson so he throws it away.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, it's very much "of its time".

Like all the rock songs about "She was just seventeen" which we at least realise now is creepy as gently caress - even though they're still being made.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

spookykid posted:

Similarly Guns & Roses' Mr. Brownstone has the "But that old man, he's a real motherfucker" line uncensored in every radio play region I've ever heard. I caught it one time in the 90's and I've noticed it every time since.

I've heard it censored on radio.

"loving hell" is left intact on Hey Jude every time.

I only had a free trial of Sirius XM for a few months, so I don't know if they ever did any censoring. Jefferson Airplane's Volunteers has "up against the wall, motherfuckers" as background, but prominent Grace Slick vocal. It was uncensored.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sirius is satellite radio so, outside of like top 40 stations and poo poo which censors itself by choice, it's all uncensored

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The only uncensored channels on SiriusXM are the ones tagged with “XL”.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Hearing the song uncensored on a Sirius station was how I learned the real lyrics to "Creep" by Radiohead. Up to that point I had thought the phrase was "very special", which was the edit every terrestrial station at the time used.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Kids these days will never know that feeling, it was the wild west back then where every radio station had a slightly different pool of stuff to choose from and sometimes unexpected stuff just slipped through. And obviously a lot of the onus was on the record labels to provide a clean version, so if they wanted to play something but they didn't want to do a sloppy mute or reverse they just went for it.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

"loving hell" is left intact on Hey Jude every time.

I still think it's "bloody hell" but either way it's really just too buried to say for sure.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I don't remember when it was the first time I heard the uncensored version of Me So Horny by 2 Live Crew but goddam did I think it was way cooler than the radio version.

On Sirius there are stations that play censored versions of stuff. 90s on 9, 80s on 8 are two that come to mind. Those are the channels I hear them playing in Burger King and Wendy's etc..

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Man in a Box used to be uncensored on the radio all the time but they wised up within the last 5 years or so, both of the local rock stations are owned by the same local company and that song and a few others that had not-overly-clear shits and fucks in them got censored.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_3h1gCVpvs

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Outshined" by Soundgarden was a funny one; the official lyrics say "the grass is always greener where the dogs are shedding" but everyone is pretty sure it's "making GBS threads" since that seems to make more sense, but the way it's sung it really could be either. So depending on the DJ's opinion it may or may not be edited. Since it's a somewhat long song and the video version cuts that half-verse entirely, you could also argue you're just cutting it for length.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Sir Lemming posted:

"Outshined" by Soundgarden was a funny one; the official lyrics say "the grass is always greener where the dogs are shedding" but everyone is pretty sure it's "making GBS threads" since that seems to make more sense, but the way it's sung it really could be either. So depending on the DJ's opinion it may or may not be edited. Since it's a somewhat long song and the video version cuts that half-verse entirely, you could also argue you're just cutting it for length.

Lol. I loving love Soundgarden but yeah this is on brand.

Black Hole Sun ends 3 times imo before it ends ends.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

suck a polarbear's funky rear end
suck a racehorse's oval office with tomato heinz ketchup
suck a donkey's lovely rear end
suck a male camel's dick with hoysin sauce

suck a cheatah's dick

suck a european bison's smelly rear end
suck a wooly mamoth's dick with miricale whip
suck a snow leapard's rear end with whip cream
suck a hyena's spermy dick

suck a cheatah's dick

suck a llama's lovely rear end in a top hat
suck a panda's spermy nutsack
suck a slumpass booty hole
suck a greyhound's musty rear end MOTHER FUCKER!

suck a cheatah's dick

rock over london
rock on chichago
polarize, see what develops

Back in the days of AOL (very 90s) I somehow got a hold of some old lady's log in information from one of the prog guys. I logged into her account and messaged the first person I saw on her friend's list that I had a new song if they wanted to hear it.

"gently caress gently caress gently caress a duck, screw a kangaroo, finger an orangutan, orgy at the zoo" then I logged off for fear of being arrested.

12 year old me was such a rebel.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dialhforhero posted:

Lol. I loving love Soundgarden but yeah this is on brand.

Black Hole Sun ends 3 times imo before it ends ends.

In general it seems like songs were at their longest in the 90s. (And albums, sometimes just by extension but also they threw more songs on them.) Things have swung pretty hard in the opposite direction now and there are definitely times where I wish there was an interesting bridge or something to let the song breathe; but on the other hand, I don't miss the trend of repeating the chorus over and over with a perfunctory instrumental bridge (i.e. just the same thing that was already playing, but without the words) just to pad out the song.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I didn't realize this was a real restaurant and not just a weird made up for television thing until like a year after the Seinfeld episode aired. I was on a road trip with my parents from San Diego to Spokane and back when I saw one somewhere in Oregon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I didn't realize this was a real restaurant and not just a weird made up for television thing until like a year after the Seinfeld episode aired. I was on a road trip with my parents from San Diego to Spokane and back when I saw one somewhere in Oregon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Rogers_Roasters?wprov=sfti1

they shut down most North America operations in the late 90s/early 2000s (last one apparently held out until 2011 in a town called Ontario, California which sounds like a heck of a place)

then they got sold to a big Malaysian company and now they’re all over Malaysia and the Philippines and parts of the mainland.

Maybe if we’re extra lucky then on the day Ian Miles Cheong finally gets arrested it’ll be at a Kenny Rogers Roasters and we’ll all get to make Gambler jokes

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

To pipe in to uncensored songs in public chat, my roommate makes a hobby, around Christmastime, of seeing if they leave the F-slur in "Fairytail in New York" by The Pogues.

They usually do.

My favorite, tangentially 90s, lack of censorship was when they put Semi-Charmed Life into an Alvin and the Chipmunks Wii/WiiU game and caught almost everything, except one line, played very prominently in Alvin's voice,

"How do I get back there,
To the place where I fell asleep inside you"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
The first (and possibly only) time Rocky Horror Picture Show played on network TV they edited the shadow-puppet blowjob scene but somehow left in "a mental mindfuck can be nice" from Planet Schmanet Janet, and also Columbia's nipples both times they appear in the movie. Someone or several people probably got fired over that but I salute them :patriot:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Admiral Joeslop posted:

"gently caress gently caress gently caress a duck, screw a kangaroo, gangbang an orangutan, orgy at the zoo" then I logged off for fear of being arrested.

12 year old me would be so disappointed in older me

FTFY

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SubponticatePoster posted:

The first (and possibly only) time Rocky Horror Picture Show played on network TV they edited the shadow-puppet blowjob scene but somehow left in "a mental mindfuck can be nice" from Planet Schmanet Janet, and also Columbia's nipples both times they appear in the movie. Someone or several people probably got fired over that but I salute them :patriot:

I saw a bizarre one where they left statue-Columbia's and statue-Janet's nipples and pubes visible but blurred the genitals on the big statue of David.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

we fingerbanged the orangutan round these parts

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

That is my ideal interior design. I want to live in a house that looks exactly like that.