Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm not joking when I say the following:

I am waiting for the day that Amazon announces they've gotten accreditation to start doing online degrees. It has to be soon.

That would be the day you should short every textbook publisher that hasn't signed an ironclad deal with amazon.edu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mawarannahr posted:

Been saying this about Highlights all my life

Gerry GBS teaches me how to post. Don't do what he does!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Philthy posted:

I tried maybe five times to see if there was any content on tiktok worth watching. I couldn't find anything at all. A million weird dancy song videos, and not much else. I just don't understand the content. I go to youtube and watch people backpack across India for 2 hours and it's awesome and completely captivating. I go to tiktok and ... the first thing that came on just now is "oh my god, santa came!" and a woman reaching into a stocking pulls out her hand covered in jizz. da gently caress

People will spend entire afternoons and sometimes days watching this stuff. It’s insane how they get sucked in.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
ChatGPT. It used to be like a funny chatbot who would write pretty much whatever you asked as long as it wasn't like, I dunno, CSAM or bestiality or something else that should rightfully be filtered out. Now it chastises you for being immoral no matter what you loving ask of it, then when you get mad at it and tell it to kill itself it gives you the phone number for the national suicide prevention hotline. Also, DALL-E refuses to make images of ugly or deformed people, I have to assume because the board of directors at OpenAI are Nazi eugenicists who believe ugly and deformed people shouldn't be allowed to live. It's like it took all the worst personality traits from all my least favorite people and combined them into an uncooperative, morally superior, patronizing, censorious prude with a giant boner for copyright laws. Also, I wish it would call me "Sir".

I just want my fun chatbot back.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

You sound fun. :stare:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Aww come on, I'm just trying to participate. :(

I know they aren't actually nazi eugenicists, that was playful hyperbole.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

ChatGPT. It used to be... ...funny...

There, I removed all traces of my personality from it. Is that better? I just want to fit in and not be singled out, it's all I've ever wanted. I'm sorry I get really, really sensitive (and intense) when I'm sleep deprived, which is usually since I gave up alcohol.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 20, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean it's more that if you are being constantly called out by a tool invented by techbros for techbros as too offensive, it's time for some introspection.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Nigmaetcetera posted:

ChatGPT. It used to be like a funny chatbot who would write pretty much whatever you asked as long as it wasn't like, I dunno, CSAM or bestiality or something else that should rightfully be filtered out. Now it chastises you for being immoral no matter what you loving ask of it, then when you get mad at it and tell it to kill itself it gives you the phone number for the national suicide prevention hotline. Also, DALL-E refuses to make images of ugly or deformed people, I have to assume because the board of directors at OpenAI are Nazi eugenicists who believe ugly and deformed people shouldn't be allowed to live. It's like it took all the worst personality traits from all my least favorite people and combined them into an uncooperative, morally superior, patronizing, censorious prude with a giant boner for copyright laws. Also, I wish it would call me "Sir".

I just want my fun chatbot back.

you seem like a tedious weirdo

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I mean it's more that if you are being constantly called out by a tool invented by techbros for techbros as too offensive, it's time for some introspection.

All I want is for it to write episodes of Star Trek: TNG where Worf does things that are extremely out of character for him to do.

bradzilla posted:

you seem like a tedious weirdo

I'm sorry I'll try to do better next time :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 20, 2024

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The University of Amazon.com wouldn't even make the top 100 griftiest private schools and honestly on balance would probably be a net positive in an industry that is resilient to "race to the bottom" pressures. They're gonna be putting scam diploma mills out of business, not Stanford.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Corporate schools and universities sound like a really cool idea. You could use a branded and copyrighted form of math and science that's not compatible with regular math and science and this way all the kids can only go to Amazon university after graduation and can only work at Amazon later. Good to keep wages down if workers can't just switch to a different company due to math incompatibility and you also don't lose out on your education investment.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

What do you think TEACH EVERYONE TO CODE!!!!!! was all about?

(And chromebooks themselves of course)

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm not joking when I say the following:

I am waiting for the day that Amazon announces they've gotten accreditation to start doing online degrees. It has to be soon.

Better get in early so your kids can get legacy admission.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Cerekk posted:

The University of Amazon.com wouldn't even make the top 100 griftiest private schools and honestly on balance would probably be a net positive in an industry that is resilient to "race to the bottom" pressures. They're gonna be putting scam diploma mills out of business, not Stanford.

Hey I’m comforted by the fact I can get a masters degree in 3 months or a doctorate in a year.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone notice that convenience stores don't show prices anymore? Around Boston all the shelves just have mystery barcodes so you can find out your gummy bears are $4 after they ring you up.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone notice that convenience stores don't show prices anymore? Around Boston all the shelves just have mystery barcodes so you can find out your gummy bears are $4 after they ring you up.

Must be a Boston thing, haven't noticed that here at all. Sounds miserable though

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

This is a Dick's sporting goods store experience everytime I go. Or a completely wrong price - that's happened a couple of times (shelf says one thing, look at the reciept and it's higher).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I let youtube premium expire because I'm frankly getting sick of google as a whole and the youtube music app no longer plays a majority of songs and also does not work if it's not the active window.

Time to go back to spotify. I should probably divest myself from gmail soon too.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I've seen the lack of prices in a few other places around the country in the past year or so, so it's not only in Boston specifically. Any time I've seen it i just turn around and leave. Price labeling law is something that varies not only by state but also by county and probably even city, so I don't see that becoming universal at least

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Please don't forget to tell your parents that Prime Day will have a 30% off on learning derivates! Ok, now let's get back to biology. Timmy, your parents didn't pay for the frogs module so you can't learn about frogs today, please sit outside class while we finish.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

redshirt posted:

This is a Dick's sporting goods store experience everytime I go. Or a completely wrong price - that's happened a couple of times (shelf says one thing, look at the reciept and it's higher).

Last time I went to dicks they had placed antitheft devices on garments inside the box. So you get home and BAM! not so fast paying customer!

Luckily nothing goes untouched by the grift so their lovely antitheft devices were easy to remove without damaging anything.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Old navy ships from their stores and my gf gets stuff with the anti theft tags on it constantly. I ended up getting a strong magnet just for taking them off

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think we're missing out on the bigger picture of Amazon Education: Your credentials are only valid so long as you maintain an active subscription to an Amazon University Prime account.

It's like a student loan, but you have to pay $200 a month for the rest of your life to keep your degree from expiring. Let it lapse once and they delete all your work.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hot Deal! 30% off Chemistry 101!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

bradzilla posted:

Tootsie fruit chews are good

They are

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Oh also, has anyone in this thread pointed out that Nitter stopped working yet? Cause it has and it sucks poo poo

yep, back to not looking at twitter posts again, b/c the heck with loading that crappy site on a phone.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zero VGS posted:

I noticed that at a BP by me. That's really annoying.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Corporate schools and universities sound like a really cool idea. You could use a branded and copyrighted form of math and science that's not compatible with regular math and science and this way all the kids can only go to Amazon university after graduation and can only work at Amazon later. Good to keep wages down if workers can't just switch to a different company due to math incompatibility and you also don't lose out on your education investment.

The problem with this is that technical education (computer touching doesn't count) is for acting on the real world and the laws of physics don't give a gently caress about intellectual property. Even capitalism cannot defeat nature.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

If that's actually a thing, why would anybody be so desperate for content that they'd seek it out or engage with it, in a world where access to books is almost limitless and it's extremely easy to find non parasocial entertainment?

this is the most Hank Hill rear end reply in this entire thread

'why are all these drat kids watching those Tok-Tiks when you could just read a nice book?'

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

The problem with this is that technical education (computer touching doesn't count) is for acting on the real world and the laws of physics don't give a gently caress about intellectual property. Even capitalism cannot defeat nature.

Yet.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

GABA ghoul posted:

lol if you think people going to any school are eligible for employment afterward. Doesn't count, you have to have experience.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Entry level job. 2 years experience required. - assholes

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

ishikabibble posted:

'why are all these drat kids watching those Tok-Tiks when you could just read a nice book?'

Is the answer because they weren't taught to appreciate forms of information consumption that don't warp their brains to benefit corporations?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Woolie Wool posted:

Pretty sure nature lost to capitalism like a century ago and that's why huge parts of the planet regularly catch fire or become underwater now.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

humans have absolutely dominated nature. mad?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Quote-Unquote posted:

Pretty sure nature lost to capitalism like a century ago and that's why huge parts of the planet regularly catch fire or become underwater now.

Well it's fighting back and we're gonna lose.

Then the earth will slowly repair itself. :)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

humans have absolutely dominated nature. mad?

yeah

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

im mad as hell. i aint gonn take it no more!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ishikabibble posted:

Way back when, people were complaining about everyone burying their faces in newspapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Outrail posted:

Way back when, people were complaining about everyone burying their faces in newspapers.

Well that's because people with their faces buried in newspapers are clearly KGB spies trying to conceal their faces.