Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I recommend doing tribal dailies if you're at all interested in their stories. The writing is good for the most part (moogles notwithstanding because they're a bunch of little shits but you do get to threaten to rip off their poms).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Unfortunately in order to do the moogle tribals you need to unlock the moogle tribals

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah I recommend doing tribal dailies if you're at all interested in their stories. The writing is good for the most part (moogles notwithstanding because they're a bunch of little shits but you do get to threaten to rip off their poms).

You get to slap one in one of the quests as well, don't forget that. Live out your DRK desires.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I went back to finish leveling Fisher a couple of weeks ago and so help me I can't do anything else but fish now.

It also levels super quick! Ocean fishing trips are the quickest, sure, but you get such a huge EXP bonus from catching large-sized fish that you can make a level in ten to fifteen minutes of fishing at a hole near your level. Once I figured out how Patience and the two special hook skills worked, that was pie. Just put on a Versatile Lure and pick up basic fish.

Seriously, always carry five to ten Versatile Lures in your inventory. You get them on the docks at Limsa and they work in literally every fishing area, as far as I know, as long as you just want basic fish and you don't mind the occasional miss. I actually made level 90 fishing up jhinga on one. I have tossed them into sand, lava, aetherpools, and the vastness of space. They just keep on truckin'.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

quiggy posted:

Unfortunately in order to do the moogle tribals you need to unlock the moogle tribals

and then you have to do them

christ i'm so glad to be done with that godforsaken tribe, let them all perish

you'll get 3 quests that send you to the other side of the zone, far from any aetherytes, and then once you're there you have to go across the zone again. maybe drop something off at another spot far from any aetheryte then go back across the zone yet again to talk to 3 lovely fuckers with poms in their ears

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

HaB posted:

k so got a coupla questions.

Last time I played I didn't really mess around with DoH/DoL stuff at all.

General advice I am seeing more than one place is: level ALL of them at once. Totally get it. Get materials for crafting job from gathering job, etc.

But from a more practical standpoint: are they saying I should visit every guild and do the opening job quest, then just switch between jobs as needed?

And the real question: should I wait until level cap to do this? I am only just past ARR (like 52-53ish)

I see that the quickest way to level them (over 30) is via The Diadem? When does access to that unlock?

TIA

As DoH require a lot of materials that DoL can provide, and because gathering involves a lot of going to places, I'd recommend waiting when you're done with the story and unlocked flying everywhere to make it less a pain in the arse, especially on some HW zones that are way too large and impractical on foot.
Personnaly I didn't bother with gathering until late Shadowbringers and crafting a little after that while waiting for Endwalker.
For crafting jobs, levelling everything at the same time is definitely the way to go imo, unless you're a gillionnaire and ready to spend a lot at the market board

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Normally I advocate "do all the at-level content for every expansion as it unlocks, except for Eureka" but when I say that, gathering/crafting jobs are an entirely separate track that you do when you actually feel like you want to do that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would definitely level crafters alongside each other but my FSH run-up was pretty autonomous. the market board cheese helped quite a bit in the earlier levels

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Fisher and Culinarian are pretty independent. CUL does share a bit with gatherers but a lot of it is its own thing, and FSH does whatever FSH wants.

The other two gatherers and the rest of the crafters share and depend on eachother a lot more, so they're more beneficial to level together.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

For some reason I always feel bad burning rested XP on DoH/DoL jobs when I have so many combat jobs still either not at 90 or not even unlocked yet. I really need to get over that considering how easy it is to cheese your way through most levels these days.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Rested XP is basically a percentage, right? So if I were to try and level up a job that's currently at 10 or so I'd burn through it pretty much instantly, compared to higher level ones?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Rested exp is worth 150% of a level, regardless of the level of the job you're working on.

So yeah, getting to level 10-11 is worth basically nothing compared to 89-90.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The main issue is that at lower levels, the affected XP (like mob kills, or gathering/crafting items) is a much larger percentage of the level so you'll eat through those 150% before you're done with your level 1 "kill a bunch of specific mobs outside the city gates" class quests eg.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Just remember Yoshi-P's gigachad dev advice: "Play when you feel like it, take breaks."

The best way to approach rested xp is to forget it exists. Hop on, do fast roulettes for a class you want to level(Trial, Normal, whatever you feel like) and long if you want it bad(especially MSQ.) Hell, you probably get more lifetime xp from remembering to have a food buff than your total rested gains. Except maybe for gathering, where rested pulls pretty hard and about when I remember it exists.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

quote:

Rested EXP provides a 50% bonus to EXP gained from defeating enemies, synthesizing recipes, and gathering items.

Experience from monsters on combat classes other than BLU is somewhat negligible compared to roulettes so I wouldn't worry about using it poorly. Crafting and gathering are somewhat ideal uses tbh

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, key thing about rested XP is that it's only for combat XP. You get most of your XP from the MSQ or roulettes in this game, so it's largely irrelevant, IMO.
Not sure if rested XP works for crafting and gathering, though. Would probably help there, if it counts.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It works for gathering, I can only be bothered to do a level a day between Min/Bot for 80-90 and there's a nice long stretch of real fat exp for me when I do it. I can notice when it runs out if I go for two levels at a time.

Speaking of which if you do ocean fishing and get white gatherer scrips you can trade them for books that make you level gathering even faster. I overdid it a bit and grabbed 80 of them, but hey, Dawntrail hoarding. You also have a challenge log pair of weeklies for gathering anything and gathering with boon(extra mats) procs. It's free huge chunks of a level bar so if you look at Omnicrafter as a long term goal, mine was on and off for about 6 months, you get a lot of nice freebies.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Diadem gathering XP also scales; going into the Diadem with a +XP manual buff on and just spending a while mindlessly tooling around and clicking nodes got me a ton of my 70-90 progress for Botanist and Miner.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I got Miner and Botanist to 90 basically from GC turn-ins alone. At higher levels, the crafting turn-ins from the MB can get really expensive, but a stack of 10 ores or whatever you can still usually get for 1-2k.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Veotax posted:

Yeah, key thing about rested XP is that it's only for combat XP. You get most of your XP from the MSQ or roulettes in this game, so it's largely irrelevant, IMO.
Not sure if rested XP works for crafting and gathering, though. Would probably help there, if it counts.

Do note that if you're actually running current-level dungeons that's a big chunk of battle XP. If you're just doing an MSQ (the base 350-500K starts feeling low in the 60s or so even though it's still a chunk that would get boosted) or leveling roulette for the day (which in my experience has been stuck on Cutter's Cry for the last few weeks) and leaving you won't see rested budge much. But at-level dungeons tend to be about a third of a level so rested will boost that to ~half. It helps, it's just not flashy.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Also for levelling crafters/gatherers, if you're doing it by making things or hitting trees, remember to use manuals first.

There are two kinds for each of crafting/gathering. One gives you a 150% exp boost but expires after you get a certain amount of exp (there are multiple tiers of these). The other you get from adventurer squadrons and gives you a 20% exp boost for 2 hours, and stacks with the first kind. (it's the same as the boost you can get from the FC buff)

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V3m6KszTH8

'free' 4-person mount car, haircut and outfit

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/ffxv/9tkdm9tw1g/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Guess I gotta wrap up my main scenario quest.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

I've always wanted a four person haircut!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'd like to see the four person outfit myself.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Four lallafel in a trenchcoat?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I am Hugh Mann Adultperson, yes yes.

Woodywoo01
Jan 15, 2019
I believe I'm about halfway though Heavenward (just killed nidhogg ). I've been enjoying it, much more than the RR MSQ. Seeing Ysayle and Estinien are both great characters and seeing them develop has been fun. Glad I did the Dragoon stuff before starting Heavensward, must be strange to see Estinien go back to being nidhogg obsessed.

The Ul'dah B-plot's been good as well. Lolorito basically being just Teledji but smarter, being able to get away with everything so far by just being upfront about subverting the Crystal Braves and saving the Sultana, then stopping her from stepping down by immediately shifting the focus to the empire was great . Fingers crossed we get to punch him in the face.

I did switch to DK (Lvl 56 so far) early on, and boy the thread was right. Easily the best job questIine I've done so far. I'm always a sucker for voiceless PCs getting more development, and characterising them as someone kind of in a dark place, tired of having to carry the world's burdens and about to just leave everything behind, before being reminded of the good they've done was great . The lvl 50 to 56 quest line is also good (seeing Sig care for Rielle is cute), but it kind of lacks that "kick" of the earlier quests so far.

Now, off to start fighting the pope .

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kwyndig posted:

Brute Justice, but it's a party wide glam

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Woodywoo01 posted:

Now, off to start fighting the pope .

It's a great fight.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Woodywoo01 posted:

I believe I'm about halfway though Heavenward (just killed nidhogg ). I've been enjoying it, much more than the RR MSQ. Seeing Ysayle and Estinien are both great characters and seeing them develop has been fun. Glad I did the Dragoon stuff before starting Heavensward, must be strange to see Estinien go back to being nidhogg obsessed.

It's pretty goofy to do it late, being told to hunt down some criminal called Estinien when you probably have his phone number in your linkpearl

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like to think of it as a flashback to that one time you and Estinien beat the poo poo out of each other over Ishgardian metaphysical issues you didn't really understand at a time, recounted as a fun story at the tavern later

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Did I somehow block out the memory of this interminable post-ARR section of CONSTANT "go talk to this guy" quests that give like 2 thousand xp apiece, when I need around half a mil to level up??

I just unlocked wherever Iceheart or whoever is. How close am I to the game getting interesting again?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You’re getting close. Action is about to pick up.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You're lucky to get any exp during this section, originally 2.x quests were done at level cap so you got nothing.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

HaB posted:

Did I somehow block out the memory of this interminable post-ARR section of CONSTANT "go talk to this guy" quests that give like 2 thousand xp apiece, when I need around half a mil to level up??

I just unlocked wherever Iceheart or whoever is. How close am I to the game getting interesting again?

Stuff happens in the final patch that actually is interesting, however only to be completely undone about 10 minutes later.

So not really until Heavensward, sadly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The 2.4/2.5 patches, that you're currently on, get pretty decent. Things are happening and there are actual characters.

Once the 2.5 patches are done you'll be in Heavensward proper, which has a lot of new stuff, but actually starts off pretty slow again as it introduces the cast and locations, so unfortunately it's not a straight rise from where you are.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The 2.4/2.5 patches, that you're currently on, get pretty decent. Things are happening and there are actual characters.

Once the 2.5 patches are done you'll be in Heavensward proper, which has a lot of new stuff, but actually starts off pretty slow again as it introduces the cast and locations, so unfortunately it's not a straight rise from where you are.

Yeah I played a few years back to the then-current level cap was 80. I just didn't remember such a LONG rear end sequence of "talk to this guy" things, including a straight up repeat of going to all the memorial services in early MSQ. Feels weird like they ran out of ideas for 6-8 hours of playtime.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It wasn't bad at the time, when a couple hours were doled out here and there every few months.

They actually trimmed a decent amount of the 2.x running around, so it's shorter this time through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There’s an argument to be made that the beat drop during the fight with Iceheart is when 2.X gets good. After that comes 2.5 when most of the random plot threads get tied together in a big “they didn’t know if the game would survive another year” season finale.