Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think because there is more cards now you have a bigger pool to draw from and it can be harder to build a focused deck early on. My first few runs were terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

I think because there is more cards now you have a bigger pool to draw from and it can be harder to build a focused deck early on. My first few runs were terrible.

My advice remains the same as before: don't worry about building a focused deck early, grab whatever generic +chips/+multi you can get your hands on and worry about refining your loadout later on. With the lower blind amounts it's easier than ever to bludgeon your way through the first dozen or so rounds without really needing to specialize.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
At least one mult joker will be enough to get you thru the first 2 antes. Sometimes if the blind skips are good enough I'll skip the first 2 blinds and just hope I can draw well to beat the boss, that can setup a good run.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

There is currently 916 positive and 5 negative reviews of this game on Steam. I hope this guy makes 10 million $

the dude is going to be rich

and deservedly so

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hope he has the bull joker

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
has anyone tried to see if Splash negates any of the boss debuffs? trying to figure out what the utility of that card is

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow I sure do like my Straight deck where I have Straights at level 5 and I can make Straights with only 4 cards and I get 100 extra chips if I play a straight, man, it's just the best, I love straights

Balatro:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Obviously you need the joker that lets you go -$20 into debt and then it's a loan forgiveness boss

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
HELP! Amber Acorn flipped all of my jokers. How do I fix it?

edit: nevermind, it just shuffles them up.

err fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 21, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MJeff posted:

Wow I sure do like my Straight deck where I have Straights at level 5 and I can make Straights with only 4 cards and I get 100 extra chips if I play a straight, man, it's just the best, I love straights

Balatro:

lol

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

barnold posted:

has anyone tried to see if Splash negates any of the boss debuffs? trying to figure out what the utility of that card is

so let's say you play a pair - 2, 2, 7, 10 and J. normally, only the 2s would score - four chips, plus the chips for a pair, plus your multiplier

Splash (that's the one that scores the entire hand iirc) still gives you a pair, but you also get the chips for your 7, 10 and J - and also their bonuses, if yoy have a Joker that reacts to those cards suits or numbers, etc.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
ahahahahahahah oh man the game won't let you pick Hex if you only have one Joker.

Edit: Or two!

You have to have at least three!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Game: play a poker hand other than two pair
Me: no, never

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
same, but flush. I always end up gravitating towards flush

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
its fitting that the game says "Ur Anus" every time you buy a planet card to upgrade two pair

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

MJeff posted:

Balatro:

Yeah - had the joker that gave 3x mult for playing the same hand after the first then hit the boss blind that disabled playing the same hand. I lost that one real hard.

Game owns - can't get past ante 7 but I'm having a blast. I keep losing with $30+ in the bank because I can't bring myself to lose out on that sweet, sweet interest money but I'm just leaving power on the table, I guess.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

got a Soul card in my tarot booster pack, so I guess that lil guy can show up wherever

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Bardeh posted:

flush feels like the easiest 4 multiplier hand to make and is a nice target early yeah

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Finally got to play the full game, and man am I getting owned! Still love it though, just have to figure out how to make an organized deck around the mid-game transition point.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 21, 2024

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Bardeh posted:

The Game: If you do your most played hand, a flush, you will lose all your money

Me, smashing the reroll button while holding the Joker that goes up in Mult during Rerolls, ready to play a flush anyway:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Immediately clicked Unlock All and don't regret it. The method this game has for unlocking metaprogression where you need to pick them when they come up even if they brick your run sucks... but everything else about this game owns.

I didn't see it, but is there a "give me a random deck" option? Because that would be endless amounts of entertainment.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Harlock posted:

Think so? I won my first demo game I'm 0/3 so far because of bad Joker luck.

I do. Won my second game and generally do a lot better than before because more impactful jokers are showing up in general. Much easier to cobble something together even if you're not getting the best luck.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Almost won but I swapped the final boss blind and it went to "Very Large Blind" $300,000. I scored $190,000 in the run so I would have easily cleared the normal amount. :smith:

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

Immediately clicked Unlock All and don't regret it. The method this game has for unlocking metaprogression where you need to pick them when they come up even if they brick your run sucks... but everything else about this game owns.

I didn't see it, but is there a "give me a random deck" option? Because that would be endless amounts of entertainment.

I hope it gets Workshop support eventually. It'd be like Isaac where people could add in all kinds of poo poo to make it a forever game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

that feeling when misprint farts out +0 Mult on the last hand and you just barely lose :smith:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

oooh. joker turtle bean is fun. +5 hand size, -1 per round? why yes, i would like to hold a good quarter+ of my deck.

wonder if we'll get inverted tarot later

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

whose rear end do I have to grab to get a god drat uncommon joker around here

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
how often are you guys acummulating interest early on? i guess you aim for it, but if a good joker comes up, take it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Early on I aim to get some kind of mult joker that can let me win most blinds with one hand. That lets you accumulate the bonus money from leftover hands, early interest isn't really that important imho.

Also the blind skip that gives you +15$ for beating the boss is a very nice early grab.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really love the green deck for giving you extra money for leftover hands and discards, it's a very consistent source of cash

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

err posted:

how often are you guys acummulating interest early on? i guess you aim for it, but if a good joker comes up, take it?

It depends, some decks are better for it than others. The red/blue decks don't directly improve your money situation but they let you get by with a lot more sandbagging since the extra resources let you get away with skimping on your deck, and obviously yellow helps a lot. Also the first difficulty level is a real bastard for trying to build up a bank. Generally if I can get away with it I like to try to keep my money above $15 though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Hooray, first proper win!

Hearts and Clubs mixture deck, just spam flushes over and over again. Not the neatest or most elegant trick, but it works.

Anyways, still got a lot more to do, even in endless mode for this run, but gonna start thinking about that OP revise now... except that means I'm not playing the game! Argh!

EDIT: Aaaand got owned in Ante 10. Doesn't scale that well, apparently!

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 21, 2024

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

modding my computer to give me an electric shock every time i'm about to play less than 5 cards against the psychic

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010

Color Printer posted:

modding my computer to give me an electric shock every time i'm about to play less than 5 cards against the psychic

This but every time I reset Ride the Bus.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wonder why there's a delay/lag when you take a tag from skipping a blind.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

getting better at building fat joker stacks. got goosed by only pulling one of the "1.5X mult while in hand" cards the entire final round. gently caress you game let me get the 2mil hands

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Color Printer posted:

Or when I click skip instead of selection the tarot card.

Or when I click sell on a card because I mouse up just above use.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Color Printer posted:

glad i'm not the only one who can't stop doing this lmao

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

A little bit better this time! This was a crazy run where I had no idea what I was doing, so I just let myself accept where Madness took me (it was a combination of Fibonacci, Throwback, and Madness for big mult).

You gotta have a real cracked deck to make it to Ante 12 or better though, sheesh. Grats to Terper who's already done it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The new face card archetype is simultaneously broken and tedious. Farming 25 gold a round gets kind of old after two blinds.