Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Convex posted:

from the trump lol thread

This guy has PTSD or something, right? Being hypervigilant to threats isn't a symptom of being male, but it is a symptom of trauma and stuff. I'm not a dude so I can't say for sure that every male isn't doing that, but my mom is female and compulsively identifies threats and exits like this guy, so it's definitely not exclusively men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

This guy has PTSD or something, right? Being hypervigilant to threats isn't a symptom of being male, but it is a symptom of trauma and stuff. I'm not a dude so I can't say for sure that every male isn't doing that, but my mom is female and compulsively identifies threats and exits like this guy, so it's definitely not exclusively men.

While he definitely does from his son’s death and his own mental difficulties from his medical problems, he also is a hypnotist and a so-called alpha male who believes he understands masculinity

I would say that it’s a little of the PTSD and a little of the alpha male brainworms

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Charles Ford posted:

I liked the show at the time, and I recently rewatched it (someone just uploaded the whole run as one enormous video with every episode in sequence, then all the DVD special features, to YouTube, so you get to "enjoy" Scott Adams on-screen if you so desire) and I enjoyed some of it still, but in a few cases where there's some serious issues, like use of certain language and the stuff where Dilbert becomes pregnant.

I later learned it was any good at all because it had a bunch of good people producing and performing it, Scott Adams was probably more of a drag on the thing as a whole.

A lot of the problems with it were unfortunately common for the time as well.

Like the episode of Futurama where Bender has a sex change to become an Olympic champion in women's sports.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Poil posted:

It had a lot of jokes and "jokes" that went on for too long, well past the punchline.

I didn't realize it was an SNL / Lorne Michaels project

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Charles Ford posted:

I later learned it was any good at all because it had a bunch of good people producing and performing it, Scott Adams was probably more of a drag on the thing as a whole.

the Behind the Bastards episode came to this conclusion too. if you look at the people involved it really was an all-star cast - the top brass must've really wanted this to be successful. so the writing is decent, but now that we know what kind of person Scott Adams is it's very easy to tell which bits he added to the scripts, no surprise but they're the bits which are weirdly political and not funny

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hypervigilance is one of my main symptoms but I would say he is more into the alpha male bullshit surrounding masculinity. He seems like he is more interested in showing he can beat people up or be an alpha, I struggle because I tend to see people as threats and I'm waiting to get attacked, not that I'm going around wondering if I can beat everyone up I see

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Why do so many of these “alpha” manosphere types love to slut shame?
Like from the most chauvinistic male oriented PoV this is mass cockblocking and no bro should stand for it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Internet Old One posted:

Like from the most chauvinistic male oriented PoV this is mass cockblocking and no bro should stand for it.

You know why

Because behind the whole alpha facade, they are afraid of girls or worse yet, girls laughing at them, and this is the angle of attack they chose to try to preemptively beat that. Alpha bros are the same as pick up artists are the same as that dude who would play Dave Matthews band on the acoustic guitar on college campus to try to pick up freshman girls

Insecure boys who need some way to interface with women and are afraid to just be themselves and possibly be rejected or made fun of. That’s all this is.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

rotinaj posted:

You know why

Because behind the whole alpha facade, they are afraid of girls or worse yet, girls laughing at them, and this is the angle of attack they chose to try to preemptively beat that. Alpha bros are the same as pick up artists are the same as that dude who would play Dave Matthews band on the acoustic guitar on college campus to try to pick up freshman girls

Insecure boys who need some way to interface with women and are afraid to just be themselves and possibly be rejected or made fun of. That’s all this is.

Guitar guy is possibly capable of packing up for the night with no takers and not calling names or getting jealous. Manosphere philosophy practically demands you lash out at whoever rejected you and try to keep “chad” from hogging all the glory for himself.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Internet Old One posted:

The link looks unrelated but the article's a pretty good breakdown of why Alpha/Incel culture blends together
https://www.wupr.org/2022/11/11/acc...-ill-conceived/

The loose collection of male-dominated online communities that make up the manosphere draws internet users from various havens for misogynistic, antifeminist, and ‘men’s liberation’’ discussions. Online spaces have been historically inclined towards misogyny; sexism has flourished in the information age. In the last decade, there has been a lot of progress made against bigotry and general hostility towards women, which has successfully revealed the manosphere as a perversion of masculinity.

But, to be completely honest, learning that someone is surrounded by the manosphere is about as helpful as learning that the internet is their home: true, but vague. The factions that exist within the manosphere are deeply divided in their approaches to hating women. And although there exists an endless stream of creative new ways to be sexist, the manosphere usually collapses into two main factions: alphas and incels. The red pill and the black pill. Hating only women and also hating yourself.

Online communities that center around hating women are usually steeped in deeply-rooted lore and references that make it hard to understand what their discussions are saying in the first place. The main principles, however, are not too complex. First, there are the alpha males. This group believes that men are inherently superior to women in every way, but that our social structure has ‘feminized’ many men into accepting the illusion of equality.

From this conclusion, alpha male culture makes use of a useful metaphor from The Matrix as shorthand for their belief structure. Alphas claim that they are ‘taking the red pill’ by embracing their supremacy over women, while any other men must be ‘’betas’ who ‘take the blue pill,’ accepting their fate of inferiority.

The other main camp within the manosphere is the incels. Short for “involuntarily celibate,” incels are often characterized as disaffected former alpha males — men who tried to assert dominance over the women in their lives, but were met with only disgust and disinterest. I cannot imagine why a women wouldn’t be helplessly attracted to a man who constantly demeans and infantilizes them in an appeal to some kind of inherent superiority, but apparently neither can the incels, who view women as a malicious collective fighting against traditional patriarchal values. Incel communities have played off the ‘red pill’ rhetoric from the alphas to condense their beliefs into something more easily digestible: ‘the black pill.’

Black pillers are fatalistic, especially when it comes to people they view as unattractive. The black pill makes incels believe that they themselves are unattractive, so therefore any future attempts at romance will inevitably fail. It is a slightly more spiritual belief system than the red pill, but it has the same boring conclusion: ‘women suck because they won’t have sex with me no matter how hard I try.’

What seems to separate alpha males from incels most is the fundamental differences between the two groups’ self-images. Alpha males see themselves as endless fountains of knowledge and muscle, with the ability to start a podcast. Incels have lost all hope. Incel culture claims to be the victim of structural violence, claiming with deep conviction that ‘nice guys’ like them are purposely ignored by ‘the female race.’ These self-images have a profound influence on each group’s conception of struggle and failure. To an alpha, a man’s failure is a representation of their decision to take the blue pill and drift into irrelevance. To an incel, a man’s failure is something to mourn, but not be surprised by.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 30, 2024

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Internet makes you stupid.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
:rubby: Author Scott Adams has vowed to stop doing business in New York, following the ruling that banned Donald Trump from running a company in the state for three years.

Adams announced on X, formerly known as Twitter, that he was “canceling all NYC business trips until the Trump property seizure is reversed. Also no new business with NY entities.”
:rubby:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I don't think NYC is going to survive without Dilberts and Dilberts accessories.

RIP to a real one of a city. We had a good run. Now Spider-Man will have to move :(

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

"Fine, if you're gonna be like that I'm gonna empty the ocean with this novelty Dilbert-shaped coffee mug," says the two most divorced men in the world.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Now all the red states are gonna be clamoring for Scott Adams business opportunities

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I remember when he went on Joe Rogan and kept saying he wasn't a trump supporter, he just thought Trump was a genius public speaker.

But also if Trump gets negatively impacted he will cut all ties with left leaning states. Guessing he's on his way to Austin

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So anyone who lives in NY has it fallen into anarchy and squalor yet, now that those big Scott Adams money isn't rolling in?

If your currently fighting for your life against the roving gangs, you don't have to answer straight away, sort all that out obviously.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Houle posted:

I remember when he went on Joe Rogan and kept saying he wasn't a trump supporter, he just thought Trump was a genius public speaker.

But also if Trump gets negatively impacted he will cut all ties with left leaning states. Guessing he's on his way to Austin

I'm glad for him! He is sure to fit right in with all the other jittery white techbros into hypnotism that frequent Austin's thriving night scene and dating culture.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

The only reason Office Space still works, IMO, is because it showed that even around the ennui, the job wasn't secure if the company decided to start layoffs.

The 90s is specifically around when jobs stop being secure, you'll see this popping up in Microserfs for example too around the same time. This is when jobs for life disappear. Something something dotcom bust in literally 1999 when a bunch of tech types lose their jobs and all that.

Movies and media aimed at adults, that is, of course kids' movies aren't going to show dad being pitched out on the street and everyone becoming homeless.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 20, 2024

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

dr_rat posted:

So anyone who lives in NY has it fallen into anarchy and squalor yet, now that those big Scott Adams money isn't rolling in?

If your currently fighting for your life against the roving gangs, you don't have to answer straight away, sort all that out obviously.

Just got done fighting off a Wine Mom gang for access to the nearest Starbucks. Thankfully I had football pads and a goalie mask ready for exactly this occasion.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Scott Adams saw online poll and cried

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dr_rat posted:

I ran out to buy the last case of Dilberritos at the grocery store as soon as I heard the news. But when I got there they were already gone!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Klyith posted:

I ran out to buy the last case of Dilberritos at the grocery store as soon as I heard the news. But when I got there they were already gone!

At least you can finally become an Olympic athlete.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Fart-assisted 100 meter dash.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Klyith posted:

Anything is a Dilberrito is you're brave enough.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

Anything is a Dilberrito is you're brave enough.

Anything's a Dildog if you're bad enough at naming things!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If you guys have seen the breakdancing deadbeat dad video nothing will convince me it's not Scott Adams.

Edit:
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7335234407734807851

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

If you guys have seen the breakdancing deadbeat dad video nothing will convince me it's not Scott Adams.

Edit:
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7335234407734807851

I am instantly convinced it’s not Scott Adams because that guy has rhythm and agility and a skillset that he can use for things

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Scott Adams is that one kid who always has to be the dissenting opinion because he watched 12 Angry Men once and knows if he could just convince the others his way was right things would solve themselves before us.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Houle posted:

Scott Adams is that one kid who always has to be the dissenting opinion because he watched 12 Angry Men once and knows if he could just convince the others his way was right things would solve themselves before us.

He literally thinks he has special powers to alter people's minds to make them do exactly what he wants them to do. This is not a joke, it's what he actually believes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

biznatchio posted:

He literally thinks he has special powers to alter people's minds to make them do exactly what he wants them to do. This is not a joke, it's what he actually believes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8sl2uLmT5o&t=3s

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

biznatchio posted:

I've probably said it before, oh well. This dude says the word "persuasion" like he's got one hand full of lube and ready to go every single time. It's genuinely loving creepy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Charles Ford posted:

I liked the show at the time, and I recently rewatched it (someone just uploaded the whole run as one enormous video with every episode in sequence, then all the DVD special features, to YouTube, so you get to "enjoy" Scott Adams on-screen if you so desire) and I enjoyed some of it still, but in a few cases where there's some serious issues, like use of certain language and the stuff where Dilbert becomes pregnant.

Anything good about it probably did not involve svott adams

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Does Scott imagine other black hat hypnotist master manipulators doing constant psychic warfare on him, making him look like a racist dickhead to the larger public, as the only possible explanation for why he's blackballed from every newspaper and divorced. Just wondering how he squares the circle of being in control of his fate and also everyone hating his guts, like, did he want specifically this. Why doesn't he walk up to the comics editor and hypnotize them into giving him his sinecure for life doodle job back.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Just going to steal this post from the IOSM thread wholesale for some character info on the Breakdancing Grandpa. He'd definitely fit in the Dilbert sphere (Dilsphere).

Skios posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1759434707958194583

For context, the guy Elon is boosting here is a 60 year old man who abandoned his family to pursue his dream of becoming America's oldest professional breakdancer. He's also a MAGA-influencer and crypto grifter. His daughter recently went public with the fact that the guy completely refuses to pay his family's medical bills, and only reaches out to her when he needs her to promote his social media posts.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Of course Elon thinks he's awesome, Elon thinks men exist to make kids, not to take care of them. The ultimate expression of masculinity to dudes like him is leaving a bunch of bastards in your wake while having the 'strength' to pursue your own selfish dreams.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
just the pinnacle of humor.

from the yospos musk/tesla thread:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
thank god it's okay to share, can't wait to show all my friends

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Brother Tadger posted:

Can’t believe ol’ big brain couldn’t even drop “hysterical” in his :biotruths: screed

It’s a tough job but somebody’s got to do it :rackem:

I saw this quote and thought oh no what did I do?

It was a pretty direct quote. What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

dr_rat posted:

Stay safe, Dilbert-Poverty Ghosts, and may flights of hypnotized beta nerds sing you to rest.