Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

BabyRyoga posted:

Yeah, regardless of how you feel about the hitbox and balance changes, the changes to "punish" leavers in quickplay are ALSO among a series of bad decisions the tone-deaf dev team has made recently.
QP is the most played mode, having people leave games frequently is a very lovely experience, for everyone. They had games where people were leaving 90% of the time.

BabyRyoga posted:

Last time I logged to play a couple games the other day to mess around, I accidentally queued for open queue in QP, immediate got a game, then immediately left because I only wanted normal role queue. The game decided that I shouldn't be able to queue for 30 minutes for whatever reason as a result, which makes me not really keen on trying to play for a few weeks.
You've chain quit enough games (>4 in your last 20) that you got punished. I'm not having a hard time feeling bad for you over this.

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm not sure exactly who is complaining about people leaving QP games, a mode that is so disconnected from the authentic OW experience that talking on voice for any kind of strategic purpose is usually met with silence, followed by someone else reluctantly responding "You do know this is quickplay right?". You essentially have games full of people that don't really care what happens in their game just playing to mess around, so punishing people who get bored of practice games that don't count for anything, filled with players multiple standard deviations apart in skill level to make the queue be almost instant every time is a pretty nonsensical move.

Hi, me, right here, along with a huge population of the game.

If it was like once ever now and again, that people left a QP game, that'd be one thing. But before those leaver changes went in, more often than not people were quiting qp games. Like if I played 20 games on the weekend, at least half of those games were going to be down a player on one team or the other. Losing a player is the end of the game.

I'm very glad it takes effort to leave a game, and very glad they punish people who leave frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I actually have zero problem with them lightly punishing people who quit a whole bunch, I get that it's disruptive and makes things suck when someone quits. If people are doing it habitually then they could stand to be reminded not to. Like I said, it's very much something I try to avoid doing myself.

I still think the timer on quitting is pointless and stupid though, if I've decided I'm leaving a match that timer changes jack poo poo.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Rawrbomb posted:

QP is the most played mode, having people leave games frequently is a very lovely experience, for everyone. They had games where people were leaving 90% of the time.

You've chain quit enough games (>4 in your last 20) that you got punished. I'm not having a hard time feeling bad for you over this.

Hi, me, right here, along with a huge population of the game.

If it was like once ever now and again, that people left a QP game, that'd be one thing. But before those leaver changes went in, more often than not people were quiting qp games. Like if I played 20 games on the weekend, at least half of those games were going to be down a player on one team or the other. Losing a player is the end of the game.

I'm very glad it takes effort to leave a game, and very glad they punish people who leave frequently.

I think they need to change the rules of QP like counter-strike does. Have a separate set or respawn rules or give ult charge to hero switching or something. Sometimes people don’t want to sweat out a match and just want a to try a new skin.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

remove Quick Play, add Mystery Heroes Role Queue.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Lord Packinham posted:

I think they need to change the rules of QP like counter-strike does. Have a separate set or respawn rules or give ult charge to hero switching or something. Sometimes people don’t want to sweat out a match and just want a to try a new skin.

Go play the arcade modes then?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Wow this new patch loving sucks rear end if you're just a casual who only plays tank, healer, or mystery heroes. I used my saved up points to buy the battle pass, any chance I can get like a refund on that or something because I'm definitely not playing the game in this state.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

remove Quick Play, add Mystery Heroes Role Queue.

Would play the heck out of this. Having a role balanced team is vital to succeed in OW2 more than ever, and getting your third Widow draw when your team has no supports just misery.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
i would play both that and random slam pick (cant change) role queue

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rawrbomb posted:

what? in qp the slot gets filled back in by some rando in like 5 seconds

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
They gotta load in, stare at the hero select screen for a good 5-10 seconds before hopefully realizing they got dropped into backfill. That is, if they didn't go afk/alt-tab assuming a normal queue time.

Not the player's fault; game is terrible about telling you that you're backfilling.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
who on earth cares if someone leaves quickplay lol that's completely asinine

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It’s a game where you lose if you don’t have teamwork.

Good on Blizzard though for creating a game where this exact problem is basically terminal. Some folks only care in competitive, some folks want to learn to get better in QP.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they could've, like, just preserved ult charge from leavers and given it to the person backfilled in

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

It's not earthshakingly bad but it is annoying when there is a constant trickle of leavers, resulting in going 4v5 for the entire game.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't play non competitive modes, but it grinds my gears when people leave for team/performance/tiny peen reasons. That said, it would be good if people could leave because the baby is crying or the food delivery guy is early. Chain leaving until you get into a situation that feeds your ego should be punished.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rawrbomb posted:

If at least one player is "leaving 90% of the time", that sounds like a problem with the game itself, not the player.

Fix the game, not the player.

The reason people leave in QP is because the matchmaking is intentionally lax'ed in order to have the absolute as-fast-as-possible queues. The result is a lot of the time you end up with games where 3 players might effectively be 2.6k MMR (You don't have to ACTUALLY, QP HAS DIFFERENT MMR VALUES THAN COMP to try and make a point here, we know. It doesn't change anything), 3 players might be 2.9k MMR, 2 players might be 3100, one might be 3650, and one might be 1900. That might lead to a fun, wacky situation, but with the way OW2 is balanced, it's most likely going to lead to a situation where one team is getting spawn camped, or there is no cohesion between any players on that team. A lot of people ITT, or in YT vids, or on Reddit, or who Stream, or who talk about the game literally anywhere have since the beginning of OW2, been complaining about problems with stomps and or matchmaking. If we assume they are MOSTLY complaining about competitive games, how bad do you think it feels in the 'scramble to dump anyone who comes along into something that resembles a game' mode?

Regardless of if the game is "for real-sies" or doesn't count at all, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say much of the time, i'd rather not be 'held hostage' for several minutes while 9 other people don't play Overwatch 2. Is that problematic? Possibly in some ways, but it isn't the fault of the player. The game is sacrificing game quality (in once again, a practice mode that resembles, but doesn't equate to "REAL" games of OW) in order for the convenience of being able to jump into that mock game immediately. It's a concession that must be made, unless you are willing to sacrifice queue times for more properly matched games.

If you punish players for leaving because they aren't having a good time (which is literally what is happening), they aren't going to play your game anymore. So what's the solution?

1) Don't punish players for leaving, reward players for staying. Obvious, but we've seen how much the direction of the game is interested in moving towards rewards for playing the game that don't involve micro transactions since the transition to OW2.
2) Eliminate reasons why players would want to leave the game. Once again, quality vs convenience.
3) Make changes to the way that QP plays out, or replace it with a different mode that is more sustainable to the type of player that isn't playing competitive, that allows for a better game experience and is less likely to make people want to leave.

Rawrbomb posted:

Go play the arcade modes then?

FYI, they are adding leaver penalties to arcade modes too, they've said.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i don't think the penalty is a big deal. if you leave a lot you can't queue for a while

i'm getting a lot fewer backfill into defeat screens, which is nice

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
Leaver penalty in QP is a great thing. Games have been much better ever since it was implemented and they fixed the stupid backfill not working bug. "People aren't gonna play your game anymore." is such an asinine take.

If you're leaving QP often enough for the penalty to kick in you probably hate the game anyway.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

im depressed lol posted:

If you're leaving QP often enough for the penalty to kick in you probably hate the game anyway.

4 in 20, apparently. And less of a hate the game, and more of a hate what the game has become. This seems to be the general state of OW as a franchise right now.

The game has been hemorrhaging players who engage with it on a regular basis steadily since launch for a number of different reasons, getting frustrated from being unable to queue due to landing in too many frustrating practice games while looking for a practice game that seems more reasonably balanced is another thing that will pull players from the game, regardless of if you think the leaver changes are good or not. Some people that have more patience waiting around in unplayable games probably think it is a good change, but I assure you just as many think it's a terrible change and have played the game less as a result.

So again, why punish players that are getting frustrated with the poorly designed elements of the game as if they are the problem when you could be rewarding them for playing, or making the games themselves more playable? It's another way of making an excuse for the game being of poor quality.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

im depressed lol posted:

No, just the lovely new maps. I'd never leave a game if I never had to play a push map or whatever that other new map style is. Literally only started doing it when the new maps came out.

Remember back in the good ol' days of FPSs when you could either pick a server that slammed your favorite map 24/7 or vote with the other players for the next map at the end of a game? Sure was great!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I firmly agree with the take that you shouldn't have to play a QP map that you don't want to. Like if I only have the time to play one or two rounds of Overwatch you can bet your rear end that neither of them is going to be loving Colosseo or Havana (Junkertown used to be in this tier but I haven't played it with the new updates yet)

A "loading into _________ in 8 seconds" prompt would be ideal imo

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Bring back looking for group.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Sloppy posted:

Map/game mode preference/selection

Yeah I can see that. But you can leave before the map starts without penalty right? During hero selection before you can move your character. I honestly don't know the answer to that but I have had to bail before a match and there wasn't the 5 second cooldown before you could push the button.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

im depressed lol posted:

Leaver penalty in QP is a great thing. Games have been much better ever since it was implemented and they fixed the stupid backfill not working bug. "People aren't gonna play your game anymore." is such an asinine take.

the spoiled part there is kind of burying the lede tbf

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

im depressed lol posted:

leave before the map starts without penalty right? During hero selection before you can move your character.

Just tested by leaving 6 QP games in a row. So there's that, no temp ban.

the spoiled part there is kind of burying the lede tbf

Oh yeah. What kind of coding spaghetti do you have to weave to implement a leaver penalty but break backfill.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 20, 2024

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sloppy posted:

Remember back in the good ol' days of FPSs when you could either pick a server that slammed your favorite map 24/7 or vote with the other players for the next map at the end of a game? Sure was great!

Voteskip might work, but letting people pick maps means that the 2-4 most popular maps will win constantly and that also sucks

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Inept posted:

Voteskip might work, but letting people pick maps means that the 2-4 most popular maps will win constantly and that also sucks

Maybe they should update maps to be more fun instead of merely moving the time of day slider.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
People would mostly be playing on the maps that they want to play on and that would suck? idgi

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

im depressed lol posted:

Bring back looking for group.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Inept posted:

you could have it so you can only vote on a pool of 5 random maps or something. So there's still variety but people have some agency in making sure they don't play on a map they dislike

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Any kind of segmentation and selectivity is bad for matchmaking, which is what most of y'all complain about.

headcase fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 20, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

it's amazing how balanced my tank and support placement were compared to my DPS placements, almost as if the queue times were so long that the matchmaker was deliberately opening up the range just to get people playing at the cost of game experience :thunk:

at least that's what it felt like. I'm not talking about losing (I am a terrible DPS, I should lose a lot) but the losses (and wins) were a lot more one-sided compared to the other two roles.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I firmly agree with the take that you shouldn't have to play a QP map that you don't want to. Like if I only have the time to play one or two rounds of Overwatch you can bet your rear end that neither of them is going to be loving Colosseo or Havana (Junkertown used to be in this tier but I haven't played it with the new updates yet)

I never want to play the junkertown flashpoint mode ever again

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 20, 2024

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
I'm a plat support but only silver DPS and want to do some climbing this season. Any recommendations? I know soldier is broken but not a huge fan. Like Mei but I kinda suck at her. Torb? Reaper?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Lord Packinham posted:

Reading this thread I’m already missing Quicker Play.

I do unironically agree with the post about bringing back LFG. Grouping up before a game is one way to reduce people wanting to bail on a game.

Before the Leaver Penalties, I would play mostly with friends and have a leaver in about half my games, and unless the other team also had a leaver then the team with a leaver would most likely start losing hard, leading into chains of people leaving, getting backfill, etc. I’ve had games where me and a friend were backfilled into a game, and by the end of the game our entire team had five different players than it did when the round first started.

Now I mostly play in a 3+ stack so it rarely happens to my team.

I would actually play Mystery Heroes Role Queue, if they ever decide to try that.

My thoughts on the new patch aren’t fully formed, but I agree with the general sentiment that the patch rewards everyone on your team for having more aggression, except for the Tank who has to be more careful instead. But Widow feels painful enough to play against now that I’m going to have to force my friends to learn Dive Tanks for my sanity.

And everyone in this thread should try Helldivers 2. It’s looking to become the next Deep Rock Galactic. The only issue is that their servers can’t handle more than half a million players globally. I’ve been playing that whenever I could over the long US weekend and it’s amazing how much else they’ve gotten right that it’s easy to forgive them for not predicting their level of success.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Is anyone else experiencing periodic super lovely lag since the new patch dropped? Kind of annoyed to die three times during a comp match when I was shooting the red-teamer in front of me at point blank range except whoops I actually wasn't.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

effervescible posted:

Is anyone else experiencing periodic super lovely lag since the new patch dropped? Kind of annoyed to die three times during a comp match when I was shooting the red-teamer in front of me at point blank range except whoops I actually wasn't.

I'm on EU servers and it's been fine, most that's happened is my framerate dropping when my lovely old computer decides to do something else in the background.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
Anyone that says "its just QP/Unranked/Casual" in a team game where there is a time commitment, and then proceeds to throw or ruin the game should be punished/chatbanned/put into their own hell queue.

As others mentioned, playing a lovely map is bad enough and it suuuuucccckkks to have limited time to play and getting stuck with a slew of bad maps, its even worse when you have that same limited time and folks use it to futz around. Its to the point where I almost only play ranked not because i'm a super sweaty try hard, but because I want the folks in the game to maybe possibly try to actually WIN the game and do well instead of intentionally throwing or goofing off.

The game has practice mode and custom set ups, if you want to practice goofing off go there.

I'm actually curious with the consensus here though, if someone wants to go DPS mercy or melee only hog or some goofy thing in a game, is that punishable? Or is everyone free to do what they want since its their account? And how do we arbitrate this?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Javik the Seer posted:

Anyone that says "its just QP/Unranked/Casual" in a team game where there is a time commitment, and then proceeds to throw or ruin the game should be punished/chatbanned/put into their own hell queue.

As others mentioned, playing a lovely map is bad enough and it suuuuucccckkks to have limited time to play and getting stuck with a slew of bad maps, its even worse when you have that same limited time and folks use it to futz around. Its to the point where I almost only play ranked not because i'm a super sweaty try hard, but because I want the folks in the game to maybe possibly try to actually WIN the game and do well instead of intentionally throwing or goofing off.

The game has practice mode and custom set ups, if you want to practice goofing off go there.

I'm actually curious with the consensus here though, if someone wants to go DPS mercy or melee only hog or some goofy thing in a game, is that punishable? Or is everyone free to do what they want since its their account? And how do we arbitrate this?

Exactly. Same reason I only play poker for money. Not because I'm a gambling addict. I just want people to play like they mean it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Javik the Seer posted:

Well see, here's the thing. I agree with this. I'd love to play non-comp games that are still taken seriously. The problem is that QP will always be a mode that just grabs anyone that queues and throws them rear end-first into a game that doesn't make sense from a matchmaking perspective.

In a lot of other games this probably wouldn't be as much of a problem as it is in Overwatch -- hell, i'd say it probably wasn't even as much of a problem in the earlier days of Overwatch, but that was contingent on a few things. Players didn't really know how to play the game yet. The gameplay had not been ruined by direction shifts and almost a decade of rotating devs in and out who only added to the confusion; it still felt mostly like a shooter, albeit with character ults that felt like MOBA abilities and heavily swayed the course of the game, contrast to now where it feels like WoW Arena with some aiming element. Lastly, the player base consisted of people who played the game on a regular basis that was several times larger than it is now, making it easier to narrow the matchmaking. I honestly wonder what the no bullshit, number of concurrent players was in summer 2016, or winter 2017 compared to 2024.

In 2024 OW2, these games tend to be, and I repeat this term i've thrown out in posts before - unplayable. There is very little you can do to try and play the game with multiple people that are on a completely different planet then you, when the game has been tuned to be so drastically team dependent, and ability dependent. I ask again, what do you want here?

You can't simultaneously have a casual mode that constructs teams for the game that are doomed to fail with the interest of creating as close to immediate games as possible, that people also want to take seriously. You punish people who leave because they CANNOT PLAY THE GAME with the players you've given them, you are essentially putting them in time-out for however long it takes that game to finish. They are going to either not play the game, or just not really give a poo poo / throw until their time-out is over.

You need have the matchmaker make games that people want to stay in, because they feel like they can actually play the game. I'd rather wait 5, or even 10 minutes for a quickplay game if it meant I was going to get a game where I could actually feel engaged, and not like a prisoner. This happens, and maybe the "it's quickplay bro" mentality starts to fade, or disappear completely. But maybe you don't have a player base large enough to feasibly do this anymore.

I dunno man, the whole game is hosed. Some of you probably don't know what you want, or realize what needs to change in order for that to come to fruition. The devs almost CERTAINLY either don't know what they want, or can't do anything that potentially risks profit declines.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Just an FYI again you can leave a Quickplay map/mode you don't want to play without a leaver's penalty if you leave during hero selection but before you move your character.

Also for all the people who feel the skill disparity in Quickplay is a bit much, maybe you're right and they should make higher MMR players wait a bit longer. I play a lot of Quickplay and yeah sometimes you roll bad teamates who are basically/essentially/intentionally/unintentionally "trolling" but it's not the norm for me. :shrug:

Edit: 4/20/24 Sorry for confusion, to clarify it's before you can move your character. There are two countdown timers and you can leave during the first countdown timer, not the second countdown timer where when you pick a hero and move around spawn/defense before the official start.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

idk what it is but Mystery Heroes feels a lot worse this patch. it used to be my favourite mode, now every game just feels...bad. I can't tell why as well! it's not like the bullshit hero selections have changed.