Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Slashrat posted:

I recall being introduced to the comic around 2006 when I started at university, but was vaguely aware of it before that so it still felt like coming to the party late. I can't even remember where the storeline was at then.

Do we got any goons who were along from the beginning of Dorukan's dungeon?

I picked up OotS before the Linear Guild showed up in the Dorukan's dungeon, but not at the very very beginning. I *think* my first strip was either the "up a level, down a level" joke or maybe Elan being invisible. Both are in the first 30ish strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We've seen very little of Durkon in this fight beyond him casting Mass Resist Fire at the very beginning. I wonder whether he's not going to step in and try to roll Diplomacy against the dragon soon before the Order kills it while it's pinned down by Bloodfeast and the antimagic ray.

Minrah has had triple the screen time, and the most recent conversation Roy and Durkon had was about how they don't actually talk to the people they're fighting against about why they're doing what they're doing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Slashrat posted:

I recall being introduced to the comic around 2006 when I started at university, but was vaguely aware of it before that so it still felt like coming to the party late. I can't even remember where the storeline was at then.

I read it when there were around a dozen strips and went "Another lovely gaming webcomic" and ignored it. I don't think my assessment at that point was wrong, either.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, the comic really developed a ton once they got out of the initial dungeon. By the time you get to the Azure City battle, it's in full swing though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, the comic really developed a ton once they got out of the initial dungeon. By the time you get to the Azure City battle, it's in full swing though.

That's when I picked it up again. But those first hundred strips are rough. For ever gag that's cute, you've got three that are the laziest gamer humor. And the dialog is often clunky as hell.

Rich has learned a lot since the strup started and I think it's been continuous improvement. We wouldn't get the pages of text from the Azure City trial scene now, for example. And while the D&D humor persists, the recent callback was the first time in a long while that we've gotten a "isn't is funny that game rules aren't like real life?" joke (and I think that callback was a lot more clever than how this is usually used). If Rich finishes OOTS, I wouldn't mind him making another stab at book 1 to bring it more in line with what the strip became since it is so rough.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

S40CheckingAccount posted:

I remember reading from during the dungeon. I've reread it enough that I don't think I could pick out the specific strip. I just tried and I think it might be this: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html

I'm pretty sure this was the first OotS page I read, too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Prodigal Trouble posted:

On the plus side, Calder's last command to Sunny was to keep their beam centered on his torso, and given the "GLRKT!" sound effect I dunno if Calder's going to be issuing new coherent verbal directions in the immediate future. At least not before a crash landing right into melee range~

I think the melee range thing is what's really going to do it. They needed the dragon on the ground where everyone could get at it, and while a dragon can probably beat an allosaurus by itself, an allosaurus and an entire high level adventuring party is too much.

The glee on Belkar's face is amazing too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Random Stranger posted:

If Rich finishes OOTS, I wouldn't mind him making another stab at book 1 to bring it more in line with what the strip became since it is so rough.

That would be great. I’d buy a re-do of book 1.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Redoing Book 1 with the modern art style would
make the transition even more jarring, and I doubt Rich is looking forward to drawing 130 strips in the old style.

Also I'm still waiting for the Cliffport PD kickstarter comic :colbert:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Slashrat posted:

I think so? I was definitely reading it very early, I think I remember the linear guild strip being posted

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm sure that's a feat in some 3rd party book.
I think there is an entire prestige class for it. But he probably doesn't have levels in it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

make the transition even more jarring, and I doubt Rich is looking forward to drawing 130 strips in the old style.

Yeah I can't see that happening.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I didn't think it was likely, or even that he'd want to do it since after 25 years he'll be ready to move on. Just something that I'd like to see fixed up.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

We've seen very little of Durkon in this fight beyond him casting Mass Resist Fire at the very beginning. I wonder whether he's not going to step in and try to roll Diplomacy against the dragon soon before the Order kills it while it's pinned down by Bloodfeast and the antimagic ray.

Minrah has had triple the screen time, and the most recent conversation Roy and Durkon had was about how they don't actually talk to the people they're fighting against about why they're doing what they're doing.

He threw his hammer from offscreen in this most recent strip.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i didn't realize belkar had hair until this strip. :psyduck:

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
My first OOTS was iirc #122 - a friend showed it to me as "what happens when adventurers come to town". After 20 years, this is still pretty much the only webcomic I recommend to people.

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe

Roobanguy posted:

i didn't realize belkar had hair until this strip. :psyduck:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My first I believe was "Stop oppressing my culture."

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The Order is already stretching its bald dudes limit

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Random Stranger posted:

I read it when there were around a dozen strips and went "Another lovely gaming webcomic" and ignored it. I don't think my assessment at that point was wrong, either.

S40CheckingAccount posted:

I remember reading from during the dungeon. I've reread it enough that I don't think I could pick out the specific strip. I just tried and I think it might be this: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html

DontMockMySmock posted:

I'm pretty sure this was the first OotS page I read, too.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

"Full Jujutsu Kaisen" how?

Roy domain expansion

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Farg posted:

Roy domain expansion

Roy's Domain Expansion is Absolute Architect. While anyone is in the range of his domain the very environment will be their enemy as any attack from Roy will trigger a dangerous chain reaction that assures their doom, as Thog found out to his dismay.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Roy's Domain Expansion is Absolute Architect. While anyone is in the range of his domain the very environment will be their enemy as any attack from Roy will trigger a dangerous chain reaction that assures their doom, as Thog found out to his dismay.

A fun version of this is like an Infinite Labyrinth, remove the Sure-Hit effect to have something that forever traps the participants instead.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

A fun version of this is like an Infinite Labyrinth, remove the Sure-Hit effect to have something that forever traps the participants instead.

The Lady of Pain would like to know your location.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh, she already knows your location. You better hope you're not in Sigil.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
all glory to bloodfeast

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I have no idea what my first strip was, but based solely on when I met the person who got me into it, I probably started reading around 2005-06... which I refuse to do the math on. Refuse!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fuego Fish posted:

In the style of the Achewood thread:

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

And there we have it.

:drat:

seems like I started participating in this thread in summer 2010, I have no recollection of at what point I started reading it because there was so much catching up, the story was already quite far at that point. Any first page veterans here?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I didn't post until well into the thread, but I posted like I was already a frequent reader, so I dunno how long I was just lurking for.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, I was reading the strip before I even registered this account, back when they were in the first dungeon, but I don’t think I discovered this thread until sometime in the Trump era

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm proud to be an :obama:bama era thread member

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I know exactly when I started reading because it was the 8-Bit Theater Guest Strip.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Third post in the thread, and was following it when it was in the webcomics thread. I don't remember what was happening when I started reading, but OoTS is the longest-running webcomic that I still follow and enjoy.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
I started reading in 2003 because I’m pretty sure the comic got linked in a thread in a Neverwinter Nights forum. I stopped reading for a few years then came back around the time they got to Azure City for the first time and have been reading consistently (well as consistently as anyone can) since then. I’m sure I have some posts in this thread from like 2007 at least.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer

Kadath posted:

So will we have a photo-realistic drawing style by the time we get to book 47?

I was off by a few years, my first post in this thread was only A DECADE AGO.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I began reading Oots when it was in the middle of the "Miko takes the gang to Azure city" arc, that was like 10 years ago, at most, right? :corsair:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I believe I started reading during the Azure City Underground era because I remember the TVTropes lampshade reference in the one interrogation scene. I slept on it for ages because of its negative reputation for :words:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I didn't have a forum account at the time, but I started reading in the mid-00s. I might be able to pinpoint a better date because at the time I was in the habit of saving a local copy of *all* webcomics I read (at the time it was very common for a webcomic to disappear, and it was unlikely to be in the Internet Archive), and I still have that folder in a backup drive. Hope the modification dates survived.

One of my first posts in the thread:

NihilCredo posted:

I can't see a halfway decent ending in time for #1000. There's 169 strips left, and about 169 strips ago was Roy's resurrection - i.e. in that period we've had the adventures in the Empire of Blood and little else.

Finishing the showdown at Girard's Gate, and maybe a few sidetracks (adventures of O-Chul and Sea Paladin, if I can hope!) seems like a more realistic target for the turn of the 'millennium'. How long will be left afterwards depends entirely on how many plot points get resolved there.

Seems I was fairly spot on, as the Girard's Gate arc ended at #946 and strip #1000 was the climax of the Godsmeet arc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I believe I started reading during the Azure City Underground era because I remember the TVTropes lampshade reference in the one interrogation scene. I slept on it for ages because of its negative reputation for :words:
Went through the effort of digging this back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It was never a TVTropes reference.