Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They should probably separate the bonus perks from the cosmetics of armor, they can keep light/medium/heavy separation, but let you freely swap between the rest once unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Wait do the capes have stats

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It's great that they are so successfull etc etc but at some point I would like to be able to play the game I paid for.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thinking about picking this up, a couple questions:

Any particular reason to choose PC or PS5? Could go either way.

How important is voice chat? If I have to talk to people the whole time I’ll probably skip.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

How important is voice chat? If I have to talk to people the whole time I’ll probably skip.

Don't bother buying it just yet unless you don't mind queues and are 100% okay with putting in the work to find people on Discord or whatever because of matchmaking being broken. You can easily get by with randoms without a mic if you're just doing regular content.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i did like 5 missions back to back with a pub where we just pinged stuff on the map. if you get people that pay attention, chat or voice chat aren't necessary.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

sushibandit posted:

A friend pointed out that different helmets do actually have different stats despite not showing those on the helmet itself. For example:

It's not a huge difference, but it does make me wonder what else isn't displaying correctly.

So what do the marker scans do?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bold Robot posted:

Voice chat is nice but not mandatory, so long as your group can generally move in the same direction with markers.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

It's radar, but around your map ping instead of your character. Sometimes I will place markers on the map ahead of where I'm going to see where enemies are. Sometimes I will go off and solo for a bit, but I will drop pings around where my team is fighting so they can get the benefit of radar pointing out enemies for them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Voice chat is at its best when someone says "ahhhh I dropped a 380 on the point by accident" and everyone else starts running for their lives.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Diephoon posted:

It's radar, but around your map ping instead of your character. Sometimes I will place markers on the map ahead of where I'm going to see where enemies are. Sometimes I will go off and solo for a bit, but I will drop pings around where my team is fighting so they can get the benefit of radar pointing out enemies for them.

I ping a lot of things I hope it helps people!!!!!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

JBP posted:

Voice chat is at its best when someone says "ahhhh I dropped a 380 on the point by accident" and everyone else starts running for their lives.

That's when everybody else drops a 2 on the point.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

jokes posted:

Diephoon posted:

It also seems to get full bonuses from both the ship-upgrade "radar range" and the "radar range" booster. It's great. Easily my favotire armor passive. Generally ping whatever the main objective is and we can see every enemy for miles around it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Flint_Paper posted:

Can't remember if I posted it here or in the discord, but I started with SES Sword of Benevolence, and now I'm the proud captain of the SES Stallion of Individual Merit

I am also on the SES Stallion of Individual Merit!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

sushibandit posted:

It also seems to get full bonuses from both the ship-upgrade "radar range" and the "radar range" booster. It's great. Easily my favotire armor passive. Generally ping whatever the main objective is and we can see every enemy for miles around it.

You only see them on the map right?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

sushibandit posted:

A friend pointed out that different helmets do actually have different stats despite not showing those on the helmet itself. For example:

It's not a huge difference, but it does make me wonder what else isn't displaying correctly.

That left helmet is the only one that has different stats, everything else is the same. I think it's an artifact of an earlier build where helmets did matter, just never got caught since its the only one.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I'll be sad when Malevelon Creek is liberated, it's such a good looking planet especially with the robot red glowing shots. Kinda scary

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I got to play a bunch today so far. Trying to make the best of it since it took like 30 minutes to get in and yesterday I couldn't get in at all after my initial session where I did the tutorial and maybe an hour of play

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
if you join a session in progress through steam friends (they need to invite you) you get shot to the front of the line, I got in instantly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JBP posted:

https://twitter.com/anim_xander/status/1759420428165042398?s=46&t=7QIXgPxYXM_njH_0htegCw

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Since we were posting ship names, SES Superintendent of Audacity.

I originally had Executor of the People, but meh.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

CheeseSpawn posted:

Distributor of Equality :zaeed:

Distributor of Freedom, distributin freedoms :hfive:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

We got one friend who just uses the lazer guard robot and and smg and keeps running away from us to get in the mix... He dies alot to airstirkes

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The only time I unmute is when my strategem grenade thing bounces back at us

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

45+ minute queue on PS5 and still not in. Glad that the Rebirth Junon demo is out in 12 hours and the rest of the game in just over a week

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Lt. Broccoli posted:

lmao you can really just join game on some nobody in steam and it zips you right past the login. it's like a 5 minute wait at a black screen. are people endlessly hammering a login server for hours when a processed queue could have gotten them in within 5 minutes? hilarious if true

I thought everybody saying this was full of poo poo but it works.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

triple sulk posted:

45+ minute queue on PS5 and still not in. Glad that the Rebirth Junon demo is out in 12 hours and the rest of the game in just over a week

i just joined queue and came to ask how bad it was loving r i p

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i just joined queue and came to ask how bad it was loving r i p

Yeah I'm kinda losing interest in the game if none of the poo poo is still working at all. I'm gonna forget about it completely in a week. Really glad I got my $40 worth before it got bad and it helped tide me over for a chunk of February (cause no way in hell was I starting P3R)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'll still try because game's fun but FF7R and Dragons Dogma 2 hitting back 2 back is going to kill my game time for any other games for a long rear end time

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'll still try because game's fun but FF7R and Dragons Dogma 2 hitting back 2 back is going to kill my game time for any other games for a long rear end time

Between this and a bunch of other recent releases it's a good time for video games!

FF7R/Granblue Fantasy for JRPG vibes
DD2 for pawn-launching simulator
Helldivers 2 for drop-in drop-out shooter

Now I just need a good strategy game

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wouldn’t mind if Steam let me play Dave the diver or something while I wait.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RandomBlue posted:

I thought everybody saying this was full of poo poo but it works.

Yeah I tried this, just trying to join on someone in a full party, and I got logged in within a minute. It lagged a bit on the queue restart countdown before shooting me in.

e. And Quick Match also worked correctly.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 21, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Insert name here posted:

Not on the discord myself but this probably stems from the lower player count expectations too lol. Like you don’t need a lot of channels if you're expecting the peak player count to be 1/50th of what it currently is, and only a small fraction of that is going to be on discord.

They actually added the 3 general chats after release, and added a 5 minute cooldown to chat - it used to be one and moved so fast you couldn't read it.

But it's really absurd they've made no attempt to direct or silo those chats into actual topics so they're usable... it's just like 60 disjointed conversations going on simultaneously because you can't actually have one when you can only respond every 5 minutes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There are 10 other channels besides the three general chat channels all about specific content. Like lore or talking about the different weapons in the armory and so on

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Post patch experience:

-Still need to queue to get into the game (The 'join someone already in game' bypass works)

-Quickmatch works (PC with crossplay enabled)

-Had my first crash-to-desktop since playing. Likely patch related.

-Learned not to shoot down a dropship when it's directly above me :downs:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah I tried this, just trying to join on someone in a full party, and I got logged in within a minute. It lagged a bit on the queue restart countdown before shooting me in.

e. And Quick Match also worked correctly.

Although if nobody on your friend list can get in either I guess you're still out of luck.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

:ohdear: number went up

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

This is pretty unbelievable. My heart is with the five engineers trying to smash the backend into something that can accommodate popularity lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

If you join on someone to bypass the queue, can you then leave the game and go back to your own ship?