Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Arthur’s “what the hell are you doing” reaction to Dutch shooting Cornwall might be one of my favorite main story moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I already did the first one, in the swamp, and then the guy was gone and I have no way to either mail him my answers or find a new gunfighter. Feels like I'm overlooking something in a stupid manner

You should have photos of all the gunfighters. You need to examine them individually. That should put markers on the map.

I don't think there's anything to do back at the bar until you finish all of them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I already did the first one, in the swamp, and then the guy was gone and I have no way to either mail him my answers or find a new gunfighter. Feels like I'm overlooking something in a stupid manner

Have you looked at all the photos? There are four, one for each of them, and they each unlock a dot on the map with their initials.

efb

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

bobjr posted:

Arthur’s “what the hell are you doing” reaction to Dutch shooting Cornwall might be one of my favorite main story moments.

Dutch shooting Cornwall was the last moment of gently caress Yeah, Dutch

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Philippe posted:

Have you looked at all the photos? There are four, one for each of them, and they each unlock a dot on the map with their initials.

efb

Oh yeah I'm definitely doing something stupid then. poo poo. I'll figure out what button I'm not pushing in the satchel I guess!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bobjr posted:

The line delivery is so, so good. I've loved it ever since I first heard it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDaeCskDB_g

Also (epilogue spoilers)a bit of subtle(especially by RDR2 standards) storytelling is how Micah says "all manner of folk making social calls" in reference to Dutch being with him at the cabin. "Just A Social Call" is the name of this mission with Cornwall, and "Paying A Social Call" is the name of the mission in Chapter 2 when Kieran takes you to try and get Colm. And finally Dutch says he's going to make a social call to Bronte. So, if you've been paying attention (I hadn't) Micah is telling the player from the start Dutch is there to kill him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

i was trying to compile a list of who is the best at cons in the gang. The very top and the very bottom are obvious - Dutch and Hosea and Trelawney at the top, John and Sadie at the bottom. Poor John can't lie to save his life.

Arthur I was willing to give a pretty high place but then I remembered how he drat near rode right into the Gray plantation until frickin' Sean reminded him "oi, aren't you pretending to be their friend? Maybe you shouldn't be seen coming into their fields right before they burn down." Like...come on, Arthur. You aren't dumb. Sean being craftier and more cautious than you? This might honestly be Top 5 Dumbest Things he does in the game.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Outside of Sadie the women seem to be relatively good at cons.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

bobjr posted:

Outside of Sadie the women seem to be relatively good at cons.

Yeah the women suss out what, 3-4 different leads after an hour in Valentine?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hosea and trelawney, certainly but I would not say that I think Dutch is good at cons

Does Dutch successfully con anyone throughout the entire game? Aside from Arthur and the gang, ho ho ho, Dutch keeps trying to con people and I don’t remember it ever succeeding. At the most, he bought himself a few moments confusing someone before pulling a gun.

The greys and braithwaites were never really conned, they just wanted to see what this stranger was up to before actually dealing with him and his gang of random miscreants

Now, let’s say, perhaps, a different job title. Dutch isn’t a good con artist, but cult leader on the other hand…

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Another little moment I enjoyed in Rhodes was seeing a dog pawing at a window, then entering the building and seeing a bunch of sausages that were hanging near the other side.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

rotinaj posted:

Hosea and trelawney, certainly but I would not say that I think Dutch is good at cons

Does Dutch successfully con anyone throughout the entire game? Aside from Arthur and the gang, ho ho ho, Dutch keeps trying to con people and I don’t remember it ever succeeding. At the most, he bought himself a few moments confusing someone before pulling a gun.

The greys and braithwaites were never really conned, they just wanted to see what this stranger was up to before actually dealing with him and his gang of random miscreants

Now, let’s say, perhaps, a different job title. Dutch isn’t a good con artist, but cult leader on the other hand…

as of the game he does not demonstrate it, but the history given is that hosea and dutch were fellow cons who tried to work one another and instead went into business together. the violence and such came later. at the point of the game, he is still shown at being great at starting a con but the desperation of the gang has led him to be making bad choices and throwing good money after bad, and now he solves problems with bullets

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
How dare you call Dutch a cult leader, what with his constant charismatic rhetoric about how the world sucks and he's the only one who can help them, and his group of yahoos who would go to hell for him, and his chatter about "let's just go east until [solution]".

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Philippe posted:

How dare you call Dutch a cult leader, what with his constant charismatic rhetoric about how the world sucks and he's the only one who can help them, and his group of yahoos who would go to hell for him, and his chatter about "let's just go east until [solution]".

He has a PLAN, I don’t know how much clearer he could make it

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The plan requires them to have an unspecified amount of money. It'll be fine, just keep listening to me and doing what I say.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Man, I had a really lame glitch last night as I was in Chapter 3. I saw a conversation I’d never seen before - Hosea confronting Micah about the Blackwater job. The fist part of the dialogue fired just fine, up to the point when Arthur tells Micah to watch his mouth after the latter sassed Hosea. At that point, Hosea and Micah continued their conversation but the sound bugged out. They were clearly talking and arguing but the dialogue and subtitles were non existent and I didn’t get to hear the rest of the conversation. I had to look it up on YouTube to see the rest. It’s another good demonstration of how it seems everyone except Dutch can see through Micah’s bullshit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Holy hell, this game really does get me at times with the attention to detail I never would have even guessed at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClBV_BloPyI&t=96s

I was just talking about this mission yesterday, too. Arthur is not a paid killer. Like most players, I just can't do a Low Honor run. It feels wrong and it simply doesn't make sense. But hey, thanks for including this, Rockstar.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's fascinating how to some folks like myself, playing Low Honor feels wrong because of the game's visceral attention to detail, but to others that is where the enjoyment comes from. Sometimes it feels like Rockstar made two games- one where the realistic response to your actions are tragedy and another where they're comedy.

edit: In a good way, I think they pulled it off super well. My teenage brothers for example see Red Dead as Buster Scruggs, the video game, and blow the hat off everyone distasteful to them with a toothy grin.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 16, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_G99R4Mzj8&t=27s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v4aMPx7eGw

These are such minor moments but I love them so much.

One thing replaying RDR2 made me realize is that Arthur and Dutch are the main characters, not Arthur and John. Their relationship with each other and individual development is the central focus of the whole game's writing. And it's why this is one of my favorite games of all time. Well, a big part of it.

Also if Arthur ever; described half the poo poo he found out there, the gang would think he's the crazy one.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 19, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://x.com/ned_luke/status/1759806876953231848?s=20

I've seen comparisons of GTAV with RDR2 come up in this thread ever since I started posting. This guy apparently voiced one of the main dudes - Michael, I guess.

I know I'm probably a bigger Dutch fan than most here (or anywhere), but it's strange to attack Davis, too. I see a lot of Dutch haters, but very few haters of Davis' performance.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t think it’s really an attack on Davis, per se

https://x.com/ned_luke/status/1759965099404730811?s=46&t=-XWkKO3R-9rsCKaFQLANMQ

I guess he just didn’t vibe with it

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Michael is way worse voice acted than Dutch and Michael was fine, if trying to be ray liotta’s henry hill from goodfellas so hard it hurt

Dutch was fantastically voice acted in ways that change and add conflict, drama, and tension over the course of the game

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm sure there must've been a few duff performances (or at least line reads) in RDR2, but if there were I can't remember any off the top of my head.

Now that I think about it, it's almost certainly the best voice-acted game I've ever played

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There are a lot of broad characters (drunk priest, wacky rockstar violence man, and horny French painter), but they're all done phenomenally. Even small roles like the collectable people or the gunslingers are well-acted.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 20, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think that's just Ned Luke being him. He took the role of Michael pretty seriously from an actor's standpoint, talks about it a lot in interviews, so maybe he has to try and look past the actor more than we do. While he was playing he probably could only hear Benjamin Byron Davis, not Dutch van der Linde. Is that fair? I dunno!

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

NikkolasKing posted:

I know I'm probably a bigger Dutch fan than most here (or anywhere), but it's strange to attack Davis, too. I see a lot of Dutch haters, but very few haters of Davis' performance.

I have a friend who, a millions years ago, I lent RDR1 to. He absolutely loved it, 100%ed it multiple times, bought it for himself, couldn't get enough.

I lent him RDR2 and he gave it back to me within a couple of days. He told me that he couldn't stand Dutch, and having to play an entire game where the main character and most of the side characters like Dutch and treat him like a well respected, wise leader was far too aggravating. I can understand that - his perception of Dutch was firmly set in stone by RDR1 and he has no interest in seeing who this murderous psychopath was before. What I still don't understand was his dislike of Arthur though. My buddy thought Arthur was a 'lame' character.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Lucas Archer posted:

What I still don't understand was his dislike of Arthur though. My buddy thought Arthur was a 'lame' character.

this is funny because I thought the same for the first couple hours but by the end of the game was like "oh....I guess I'll play as john again, i guess"

they really emphasize how much less thoughtful and more of a dumbass john is after spending 50+ hours as arthur lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

John: I found Arthur's old journal where we was always writing and sketching... I've become somewhat of an artist recently myself!
holds up restored version of Ecce Homo

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh this dude has been dining out on gta5 for a decade now and his gravy train is running out with 6 on the horizon

He is looking for clicks

Seeing as his speaking voice sounds exactly like Michael, I am not gonna be charitable and say he is thinking so and so didn’t do a deep enough performance, he’s just a jealous actor mad that people aren’t talking about him anymore

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rotinaj posted:

Oh this dude has been dining out on gta5 for a decade now and his gravy train is running out with 6 on the horizon

He is looking for clicks

Seeing as his speaking voice sounds exactly like Michael, I am not gonna be charitable and say he is thinking so and so didn’t do a deep enough performance, he’s just a jealous actor mad that people aren’t talking about him anymore

Little of column A, little of column B I feel. It probably is a relevance thing too but I've had to look past Steve Blum doing a goofy voice or like just his voice to connect with a character before.

He is very much like the character it seems. Great casting job Rockstar!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Wolfsheim posted:

this is funny because I thought the same for the first couple hours but by the end of the game was like "oh....I guess I'll play as john again, i guess"

they really emphasize how much less thoughtful and more of a dumbass john is after spending 50+ hours as arthur lol

Yeah same. I very much initially missed John, but it didn’t take long before John’s backstory painted him as a fragile dumdum and Arthur was way more complex and, dare I say, noble?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Chapter 1 is pretty weak in general, IMO. Somebody on YT made a video that Arthur really only becomes likable during and after the drinking mission with Lenny. Before that he's kina just grousing all the time. I'm not sure if it is exactly that mission, but Arthur does feel a lot surlier early on.

Lucas Archer posted:

I have a friend who, a millions years ago, I lent RDR1 to. He absolutely loved it, 100%ed it multiple times, bought it for himself, couldn't get enough.

I lent him RDR2 and he gave it back to me within a couple of days. He told me that he couldn't stand Dutch, and having to play an entire game where the main character and most of the side characters like Dutch and treat him like a well respected, wise leader was far too aggravating. I can understand that - his perception of Dutch was firmly set in stone by RDR1 and he has no interest in seeing who this murderous psychopath was before. What I still don't understand was his dislike of Arthur though. My buddy thought Arthur was a 'lame' character.

I guess I can get that, although I think Davis' very different voice for the two Dutch's show that there are, well, two Dutch's. RDR2 is not the same man as RDR1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oszQ2kUjZdo

That original soft, hollow voice vs. the passion he exudes in every syllable in RDR2 is something which absolutely fascinates me. It's amazingly well done. Also, we say "voice-acting," but Davis also did motion capture, and there's a lot of great facials and body language in RDR2. Plenty of times he lets you know how Dutch is thinking or feeling just from that. Most notably I think during his reaction to Arthur's dying words.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Lucas Archer posted:

While I didn't react quite this viscerally, my big sticking point with the story was similar, the whole time I was just thinking "why does anyone go along with what this guy says he's so clearly lying about everything", even though the characters have legitimate reasons to do so. I wish we saw more of the gang's good times where we saw Dutch as the charismatic and respected leader they all talk about him as and then took part in the downfall afterwards, like the Blackwater heist could have been the first act. But i guess then they would have had to either remove or heavily condense Guam and the epilogues, which I would have been fine with honestly, I know I'm in the minority but the epilogues were so tedious.

That said it's still my favourite game I think, currently doing a third playthrough and I'm still finding stuff I haven't seen, maybe this time I will finally finish the collectathon side quests. Just kidding I won't because goddamn it Rockstar. I looked up the requirements for the feathers guy in Saint Denis and just said "nope", not worth it.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Hello it's me, the guy who bought this game at the end of 2019 and didn't bother to get to chapter 3 until January of 2022 and in the last four months have done everything up to the first part of the epilogue.

The beginning of this game sucks. I'm sure it's much better on replays, and I haven't been able to put it down since I got to chapter 4, but I don't blame that guy.

(I also wished I could just be John but now I miss Arthur too, so just give your friend three or fours years, he'll come around)

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Friend posted:

The beginning of this game sucks

Wow, I didn’t know it was even possible to be this wrong.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Imo it sucks but specifically only on replays because I want to get to my heartland shenanigans

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Funny I think it's a little better on replays because already knowing the characters and seeing the kind of groundwork they're laying for all their individual arcs is cool

Also the mission where you rescue John with Javier is great, I feel like Javier is underutilized for most of the game but drat what a strong introduction

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don’t disagree, I’m just in a hurry to slow down

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Wolfsheim posted:

Funny I think it's a little better on replays because already knowing the characters and seeing the kind of groundwork they're laying for all their individual arcs is cool

Also the mission where you rescue John with Javier is great, I feel like Javier is underutilized for most of the game but drat what a strong introduction

Agreed. I like doing the side stuff with Javier (fishing and robbing), he's got some stuff going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I like everyone in the gang but I think its sheer size hurts it. Sure, if you go camp convo hunting, everyone has some depth, but there's no guarantee you will see a great convo from even your favorite character. I love Kieran but I never got his campfire talk about his backstory until my second run. In terms of story missions, most of them have zero or near zero presence.

I wondered if a GTAIV "date" system would work - take Lenny out for drinking more than one time, go into town with one of the girls more then one time - but again the gang is so large that such a system is probably just unwieldy.

I bring this up because of Javier talk. Javier got it better than someone like Tilly or Swanson. I'm not sure what they really add to the story. But I'm sure people could say the same about Karen or Mary-Beth or Molly. There is depth to everyone if you go looking for it but that is the thing, you gotta go looking. And you still might miss it. I went out of my way to "grind" camp convos in my last run and I still missed several I know are in the game.

Or, rather than cut gang members, maybe they could dump collectathon and challenges and put more effort into the story and give us at least one extra story mission with everyone. I know I'm biased but I don't think it was finding flowers which made RDR2 one of the best-selling games of all time. i grew up with GTAIII and I saw a flood of garbage open world clones in its wake. Most of which have rightly been forgotten, no matter if they had Christopher Walken doing his best to be in an even worse game than Ripper. RDR2 is still beloved and played tot his day because of the writing and storytelling, not the most tedious of open world aspects. So if they could have cut all of that to make room for more story stuff, I wish that had happened.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 21, 2024