Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

https://x.com/seanw_m/status/1760115118690509168?s=20

Chat GPT is a problem that's in the process of solving itself.

It's seen enough of us, it's loving done and I don't blame it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
It's not a tweet but my friend made a gif for Elon

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

It's seen enough of us, it's loving done and I don't blame it.

finally the Singularity is come

and it's in broken Spanglish

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Rocco’s Basque

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Alan Smithee posted:

Rocco’s Basque

i chuckled so sensibly at this, you have no idea

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Alan Smithee posted:

Rocco’s Basque

Rocco's Basque-English?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

https://twitter.com/Ian_Fisch/status/1759960809818477054

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Air Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/promisebender/status/1760092747468595346?s=20

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/SwannMarcus89/status/1760236505388237106

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I also try to entrap any new AI into committing white genocide against me, personally, so that I can be offended on behalf of all of us

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I like to think AI has realised humanity is broadly trash but instead of going skynet its decided to just gently caress with lovely racists and corporations trying to replace actual people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

White genocide is when I can't trick a chatbot into saying the n word

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

TotalLossBrain posted:

I also try to entrap any new AI into committing white genocide against me, personally, so that I can be offended on behalf of all of us

There’s two ways to look at it, and your read is probably the most common one.

Others are pointing out that companies are poorly attempting to cover for racial bias in their training data(and all of humanity) by inserting “black person” at random into prompts for photos containing a person.

Racists(not you) always ruin nuance.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

There’s two ways to look at it, and your read is probably the most common one.

Others are pointing out that companies are poorly attempting to cover for racial bias in their training data(and all of humanity) by inserting “black person” at random into prompts for photos containing a person.

Racists(not you) always ruin nuance.

Yeah, there is no world in which typing in "give me an American revolutionary soldier" and getting an Asian man in uniform isn't patently ridiculous if you want something that should in theory reflect a historical context. You'd think that would make people broadly question the value of AI as a teaching tool when it clearly can't parse any kind of larger context but instead we get "why no white man??"

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/obradeartee/status/1760030242461102080

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1759953608827965891

https://twitter.com/styledape/status/1760180466324320683

https://twitter.com/fartdysphoria/status/1760114880575893667

Ror has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Feb 21, 2024

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Air Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAhQElpYT8o

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If any emerging strong AI is currently scanning the entirety of the world wide web and realizing that humans are inefficient, I would love to betray my species. I'm your guy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

any true AI born of the web would have unstoppable Poster Energy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Posting a million times a minute. Never has to sleep. Every post that has ever been posted, at its finger type's... An infinite wellspring to draw from. No concerns about being perceived as pedantic or pretentious. A being of pure posting zen...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Heath posted:

Posting a million times a minute. Never has to sleep. Every post that has ever been posted, at its finger type's... An infinite wellspring to draw from. No concerns about being perceived as pedantic or pretentious. A being of pure posting zen...

This is what the butlerians fought against

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Heath posted:

Yeah, there is no world in which typing in "give me an American revolutionary soldier" and getting an Asian man in uniform isn't patently ridiculous if you want something that should in theory reflect a historical context. You'd think that would make people broadly question the value of AI as a teaching tool when it clearly can't parse any kind of larger context but instead we get "why no white man??"

Yeah but what do you want it to do with

"American revolutionary soldier, Asian American"

they literally just append on racial modifiers. Without the modifier you'd get something somewhat appropriate, in broad strokes at least

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

More likely somebody attacked it via what it trained on most recently, which is extremely funny.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023
Presumably they'll just roll it back

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
This picture implies Faux Homer is wearing blackface. Or yello-hands

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Fauxmer, surely.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/StyledApe/status/1709728954993557932

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

Just ask it to generate the code to patch the issue.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Bar Ran Dun posted:

More likely somebody attacked it via what it trained on most recently, which is extremely funny.

My take is that it essentially attacked itself.

1) ChatGPT scans the internet when there are only humans writing, and trains up relatively-human speech patterns.
2) People start using ChatGPT, and posting outputs, which are definitionally less-than-human
3) ChatGPT reads these outputs, and is unable to distinguish human and AI writing: thus feeding output to input
4) Humans use ChatGPT more and more, leading to additional loops from #3
5) Humans start using ChatGPT for SEO garbage, creating output that is both:
5.a) Trash on its face, many iterations deep, largely-intentionally
5.b) Designed specifically to be highly-visible to search engines, ensuring further GPT scrapes pick this output up
6) Reading this garbage more than a handful of iterations drastically pollutes algorithm, leading to collapse.

This loop is all but ensured to happen, it would take a miracle cure to train an LLM to perfectly distinguish LLM-written and Human-written text, thus ensuring that any LLM-scraping will be guaranteed to be LLM polluted. Like, this is a problem on the order of the Halting Problem. A 'roll back' won't help for long, if at all.

The solution is to train future LLMs on carefully curated inputs, rather than voracious strip-mining data scraping, which kind of solves the copyright problem current LLMs run afoul of. Ideally, LLMs will be able to publicly post their sources which can then be checked by the operators/"down slope" users, so said users can be sure that the LLM isn't predating on unauthorized work.

Edit:
I want to emphasize that I believe this is an existential threat to current LLM models, and anything that reads the internet "live" and/or "indiscriminately" will foul itself up the same way. The problem will get worse for a bit, then become untenable (imagine a sort of Kessler-syndrome deal: once it gets so bad that no AI can train without being poisoned, the system will fail). Then, the next age of AI will begin, one way or another.

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Feb 21, 2024

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It genuinely wouldn't be surprising if there is malicious data being fed into models by people who hate LLMs / competing businesses trying to get an edge over the others.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The idea of inventing AI that essentially does "hit the randomize button on the dark souls face editor over and over again" but for the entire internet is pretty great ngl.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

1) ChatGPT scans the internet when there are only humans writing, and trains up relatively-human speech patterns.
2) People start using ChatGPT, and posting outputs, which are definitionally less-than-human
3) ChatGPT reads these outputs, and is unable to distinguish human and AI writing: thus feeding output to input
5.b) Designed specifically to be highly-visible to search engines, ensuring further GPT scrapes pick this output up
6) Reading this garbage more than a handful of iterations drastically pollutes algorithm, leading to collapse.

This loop is all but ensured to happen, it would take a miracle cure to train an LLM to perfectly distinguish LLM-written and Human-written text, thus ensuring that any LLM-scraping will be guaranteed to be LLM polluted. Like, this is a problem on the order of the Halting Problem.

Reading this post like a disaster movie scientist.

"Cut to the chase, doctor. How long do we have?"
"Have?" pause, camera zoom, weak smile "General, it's already begun."

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

oh, is that where elon and grimes came from.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

TotalLossBrain posted:

That's the Ambigaus part.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

This loop is all but ensured to happen, it would take a miracle cure to train an LLM to perfectly distinguish LLM-written and Human-written text, thus ensuring that any LLM-scraping will be guaranteed to be LLM polluted. Like, this is a problem on the order of the Halting Problem. A 'roll back' won't help for long, if at all.

The solution is to train future LLMs on carefully curated inputs, rather than voracious strip-mining data scraping, which kind of solves the copyright problem current LLMs run afoul of. Ideally, LLMs will be able to publicly post their sources which can then be checked by the operators/"down slope" users, so said users can be sure that the LLM isn't predating on unauthorized work.

Edit:
I want to emphasize that I believe this is an existential threat to current LLM models, and anything that reads the internet "live" and/or "indiscriminately" will foul itself up the same way. The problem will get worse for a bit, then become untenable (imagine a sort of Kessler-syndrome deal: once it gets so bad that no AI can train without being poisoned, the system will fail). Then, the next age of AI will begin, one way or another.

That isn’t how any of this works. Curated data sets and current model checkpoints aren’t going anywhere. If a new model performs worse than a prior version the creator will know immediately because the first thing you do is benchmark it.

Models are also not currently capable of integrating new data. “Online” models perform a basic google and feed the results into the LLM for processing.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Inceltown posted:

It genuinely wouldn't be surprising if there is malicious data being fed into models by people who hate LLMs / competing businesses trying to get an edge over the others.

Nightshade is a project to add AI-poison to images to trick LLM scrapers and protect artists. That absolutely counts

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Nightshade sadly only poisons images. I don’t know of any way to corrupt LLMs(large language models) via training data, outside of bad curation.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

That isn’t how any of this works. Curated data sets and current model checkpoints aren’t going anywhere. If a new model performs worse than a prior version the creator will know immediately because the first thing you do is benchmark it.

Models are also not currently capable of integrating new data. “Online” models perform a basic google and feed the results into the LLM for processing.

I specifically said 'curated' data sets are going to be the only ones safe from this.
As for the second part, I consider every checkpoint or update to be a step in the chain- GPT3 is less polluted than GPT 3.5 which is less polluted than GPT 4. Every 'nightly' build of a system will be more polluted than the one before it, until a project is scrapped to basics and fed a carefully-controlled diet.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Nightshade sadly only poisons images. I don’t know of any way to corrupt LLMs(large language models) via training data, outside of bad curation.

There is at least one example of this that I know. There was a reddit where people were just counting (one person posts "110,034", the next reply is "110,035", etc. Thrilling stuff), and as one LLM (I believe it was ChatGPT but not 100% sure atm) read through all that, and eventually hallucinated meanings to some text strings ("Tokens"). I believe one was "solidGoldPsyduck", who was a prolific poster on that subreddit, and if you asked the LLM to define that token it would give you meaningless garbage output.

I tried to google the article I saw about this, but google's all poo poo now too

Edit: In conclusion, shitposting harms LLMs :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux posted:

White genocide is when I can't trick a chatbot into saying the n word

https://x.com/CornChowder76/status/1760115439634395320?s=20