Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Looking forward to the latest round of "Dune your mom" tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

how about a bunch of drunk people peddling?

This works unless you're a 12th Century English noble, then you just hit a known marine hazard and kill everyone on your ship including the only male heir to the throne.

Bring back the age of sail.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Tulalip Tulips posted:

This works unless you're a 12th Century English noble, then you just hit a known marine hazard and kill everyone on your ship including the only male heir to the throne.

Bring back the age of sail.

Or in Nashville on a bachelorette party

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Qwijib0 posted:

Doesn't everyone keep emergency shrimp in their frunk?

food prawn

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Whattup chat thread, I went skiing this past weekend for the first time in nine years, and it was my first time in Banff. A few pics to share:

Morant's Curve:

Frozen, snow-covered Lake Louise:

Louise Falls, spot the climbers!

So that wasn't bear poop we saw earlier, whew!

Downtown Banff:

From a lookout on Mt. Norquay:

Above Sunshine Village:

A friend flew up to visit and we skied Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. So much sore and stiff but it was a great trip. It was the first time I've been on ski hills where you can't see the bottom when you're at the top.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Man I miss Banff, that place rules. A place my dad worked with got us rooms a couple times at the Lake Louise Chateau, it’s absolutely worth seeing both in summer and winter as it’s so radically different depending on weather (read: presence of snow), the water’s color in summer is spectacular. Did they still have the ice sculpture garden out on the lake?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

No sculptures when we were there. I would like to see that!

Edit: just looked it up and the unseasonably warm weather melted them beyond repair :smith: Glad the lake was still walkable!

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 21, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Banff looks amazing.

Heading to copper next week. First time heading out west in over 25 years.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

First time back in Colorado since the last century. Going Breck / Vail / Breck. I fly Thursday morning.

The view from the deck of the house we rented

forecast looks ACES

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Banff looks amazing.

Heading to copper next week. First time heading out west in over 25 years.
Didn't you just catch covid? Careful with the physical activity (and also flying with other humans while still infectious)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

there is a reason why sailboats have keels, you can't just add wind power to a ship without designing the hull for it and that hull design isn't necessarily optimal for scooting around under propeller power

also your sails would only work at all when you're traveling slower than the wind, modern container ships travel at like 15-20 knots whereas sailboats typically cruise at like 8 knots and racing yachts go at like 15

the trade winds can blow at as much as 30 knots so I suppose there could be some specific routes where sails are still sorta helping a bit but a hell of a lot of the time where they're just extra weight and higher center of gravity and a different hull design and a bunch of complexity and engineering and additional parts to maintain in a marine environment that you're dragging around with no benefit even when you aren't traveling into the wind

T-Square
May 14, 2009

kiimo posted:

First time back in Colorado since the last century. Going Breck / Vail / Breck. I fly Thursday morning.

The view from the deck of the house we rented

forecast looks ACES

Wanna day drink many cold beers and smoke meats on that bad boy

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Leperflesh posted:

there is a reason why sailboats have keels, you can't just add wind power to a ship without designing the hull for it and that hull design isn't necessarily optimal for scooting around under propeller power

also your sails would only work at all when you're traveling slower than the wind, modern container ships travel at like 15-20 knots whereas sailboats typically cruise at like 8 knots and racing yachts go at like 15

the trade winds can blow at as much as 30 knots so I suppose there could be some specific routes where sails are still sorta helping a bit but a hell of a lot of the time where they're just extra weight and higher center of gravity and a different hull design and a bunch of complexity and engineering and additional parts to maintain in a marine environment that you're dragging around with no benefit even when you aren't traveling into the wind

get back to peddling before I lash you again!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

Didn't you just catch covid? Careful with the physical activity (and also flying with other humans while still infectious)

I’m on day 5/6 and I leave next Monday. Should be plenty of time to get back on my feet….should be.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Leperflesh posted:

That makes a lot of sense. I figured there was a good reason for it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bird in a Blender posted:

That makes a lot of sense. I figured there was a good reason for it.

Yeah the word doldrum comes from, a band on the equator where "oops no wind" can happen randomly, which when you're stranded a 1000 miles from shore uh could be bad.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Started playing Lost Judgment today.

I've played plenty of Yakuza games at this point so I know how good the series is at tonal whiplash, but I wasn't expecting to go from investigating a grisly murder mystery and bullying problem to becoming the advisor of a high school mystery club after being thoroughly outsmarted by the protag of a slice-of-life manga in the span of minutes

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Having fun on Palworld just goofing around, sure does crash a lot on the Xbone tho

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Enjoy your stays in Colorado, it is pretty cool and good imo. Not much of a skier although I am trying to get my kids into it and hopefully pick it back up myself.

We took the kids to a tubing hill this past weekend. I feel pretty lucky to be able to drive like half an hour and be in mountain wilderness.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Again, don't ski, that's how we lost Sonny Bono and I like most of you more than I ever cared about Sonny Bono.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

No, skiing is fun, I'm gonna go skiing and get rekt at Snowshoe next month just to spite you.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Skiing is bad, it also got Michael Schumacher.

I tore my quadriceps tendon skiing when I was a freshman in HS, then got to have full on knee surgery under local anesthetic since I'd just eaten right before it happened. Not recommended!

Surgeon did a great job though, I started every game at cornerback the following fall and haven't had any residual pain in the 35 years since, although my leg never did fully recover in size from the atrophy from wearing an immobilizer for 6 weeks. Haven't been skiing since though.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Two of my close friends just got MCL tears about a week apart while snowboarding at the same resort. Glad I skipped this year.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm going skiing for the second time ever in a few weeks. Hopefully I survive again.

Also, my back is very sore today from trying to play hockey with my son yesterday.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Abugadu posted:

Two of my close friends just got MCL tears about a week apart while snowboarding at the same resort. Glad I skipped this year.

This is just like how my friend and I decided to start getting back into snowboarding after 10 years!

A third friend whom also hadn’t snowboarded in 10 years tagged along and immediately ate poo poo and separated his shoulder!

Then we went again the next weekend and another friend whom also hadn’t snowboarded in 10 years tagged along and also immediately ate poo poo and separated his shoulder!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'd like the record to show that after I tore the tendon 2/3rds thickeness, I walked about 500m back up the hill because I was 15 and dumb.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'd like the record to show that after I tore the tendon 2/3rds thickeness, I walked about 500m back up the hill because I was 15 and dumb.

I miss being young and dumb sometimes (then I look at my bank account). The only time in my life I was truly invincible.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Thinned out the Kennedys, though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

I tore my quadriceps tendon skiing when I was a freshman in HS, then got to have full on knee surgery under local anesthetic since I'd just eaten right before it happened. Not recommended!

Surgeon did a great job though, I started every game at cornerback the following fall and haven't had any residual pain in the 35 years since, although my leg never did fully recover in size from the atrophy from wearing an immobilizer for 6 weeks. Haven't been skiing since though.

Well don't drill through your helmet to mount a go pro for a start.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I almost died snowboarding trying to impress a girl don't be like Ol Rinaldo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IMO there are some good much less dangerous snow sports like cross country skiing and snow shoeing and just goofing around with sleds and so on
I skied and snowboarded a few times in my youth and each time involved a lot of painful falling down and then perhaps on the third day some actually fun skiing for an hour or two that didn't really counterbalance the eating poo poo for hours first part. Probably if I went several times in a season at some point that would have led to fun times but you know, like, there are a lot of fun times that have lower risks and less painful learning curves, like riding your bicycle in commute traffic or scuba diving with sharks or Olympic style fencing

really skiing is absurdly dangerous for how common and popular it is, it's somewhat baffling to me

I don't know anyone who skis regularly that hasn't broken a bone or ripped a knee or elbow up at some point and that is absolutely not the case for people I've known who have done things like motorcycle racing or skydiving or other so-called "extreme" sports that are generally thought of as "too dangerous" by a lot of people

of course, lol, none of the above are as dangerous as football

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Having done both cross country skiing and down hill skiing, people who like down hill skiing, keep doing that, cross country just loving sucks and if you're gonna die in a skiing accident I'd rather you die happy.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My brother and I grew up on a mountain skiing every weekend, my dad’s still out at nearly 70 multiple times a week, worse we’ve had is my brother breaking an ankle and getting a concussion (separate incidents) being a dumbass (he was 12-14 years old and had a video camera, poo poo happens), and my dad lightly tearing his meniscus. These days none of us are too crazy with the stunts and wear helmets, but I think a big part of it was starting super early; it’s like doing martial arts, learn to take a hit or a fall and it’ll get you a lot farther than someone starting fresh, so having that engrained early was helpful. Granted the area I grew up going to was notoriously difficult, both in terms of terrain and in that it was a falling apart shithole run by baked college kids and aging hippies, so there’s probably some survivor’s bias at work here. 10/10, would roll those dice again!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm sore from a weekend of skiing because I expended so much energy stomping on the proverbial brakes. Hell, my hands were sore from my death grip on the poles. I've never been a strong skier, but at Banff I found I had to stick to the easiest runs and practice them until I could move at a fun but controlled speed. The greens and blues are both a step up from the smaller hills I've skied before now.

It's also the first time I've worn a helmet, which is standard practice here. They weren't on the radar in my skiing past, but my co-workers told me that you get dirty looks if you don't wear one. I didn't mind it at all, they are insulated so no need for a hat under them.

A really cool feature at Banff Sunshine is that when the mountains close for the day (4pm), you can either ride the gondola back or you can ski a long trail along the base of the mountains back to the rental building, which takes about 7-8 minutes depending on traffic. There was a guy in front of me on that path wearing a reflective safety vest, with CAUTION: poo poo SKIER on the back. I might get one.

Edit - timestamped to 2:23 roughly our starting point for the final run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VueJhDqHc&t=143s

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 21, 2024

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Despite heavy running and hill climbing four days a week, my quads get toasted by snowboarding. Probably doesn't help that I'm newer to boarding, and skiied for 10+ years before switching over. If I'm doing a multi-day thing, there's significant tail-off by the end, with some of my last runs ending with my thighs quaking. Having an arch spur right where the boot strap comes over the top doesn't help things either.

Still infinitely better than trying to walk around in ski boots carrying four pieces of equipment versus one in snowboarding boots.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

To be honest I'm more scared of getting charged at by a large animal while on the hill.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

y

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

To be honest I'm more scared of getting charged at by a large animal while on the hill.

You're on skis, you can probably out run it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I did a lot of skiing one season and sadly have not been back up the mountain since. I still have my skis and equipment. Just need a tuning.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Skiiiiiiiiing :allears:

I tried to snowboard once during Thanksgiving (Mt Bachelor) when I was in junior high but the single plank wasn’t great, and also the setup was bad (long story). Made it down the bunny hill once, mostly on my rear end.

Fast forward to January 2012, first winter in Japan and I’m informed there’s an annual ski trip among some of the other foreign English teachers in the area. Cool, so I get to try skiing for the first time, and spent most of the first day on my rear end barely getting down the bunny hill.

And then

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A really cool feature at Banff Sunshine is that when the mountains close for the day (4pm), you can either ride the gondola back or you can ski a long trail along the base of the mountains back to the rental building, which takes about 7-8 minutes depending on traffic.

This mountain had similar, you could take a gondola down or there was a (pretty simple) red down to the bottom. But that was a bit beyond me on the first day.

Anyway, the second year at the same location I got much better, was crushing the green in half a day and was able to tackle the red route set on a winding road and then a steeper red without scaring myself too badly. Yeehaw.

I haven’t gone skiing in a couple years (COVID!) and need to get in much better shape, but I really want to go again. Especially since there are decent day trips from Tokyo, and good overnight ones. Plus the winter slopes of Hokkaido which I’m convinced have been claimed by Australia by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I went skiing one time and watched my friend, who had much more experience than me, go off a jump, land funny and snap his forearm in half.

Decided not to ski again after that.