Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Once they add an afk kick if it doesn't eliminate the queues it's going to be unbearable to try and play this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

flashman posted:

Once they add an afk kick if it doesn't eliminate the queues it's going to be unbearable to try and play this
Well, at least there is no way we will end up in the dark comedy timeline where it counts waiting to get in as inactivity kick worthy, like taking too long in a character creator can sometimes count as an inactivity kick. You had to actually get in for that bullshit! (I can't even remember what game did that to me, just that I was very confused)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I had a good time helldivering tonight. :)

Took a little over an hour to get in, I started the login and did a workout and when I came back it started up after another five or ten minutes. Did my first Hard campaign with some pubbies, there's a lot more to it than on the lower difficulties! I didn't realize they'd throw so many chargers at you at once, and it was a mission where there was really dense smoke so you couldn't see ahead of you very far, and I dodged three only to get whacked by the fourth(!) one when I turned back to fire at the asses of the others. And gently caress I've never seen a Titan before. We didn't even manage to kill it, just ran away and resummoned the folks who died when we were closer to the extraction point.

On the grind for the Dominator now, I hope it's decent. Only 60(!) more medals to go!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kly posted:

is there a trick to using this? i tried it, charged it to what i think was a full charge and it didnt even break the armor on a charger leg.

You need to two shot a charger leg to expose it, and then mag dump your primary into the exposed leg. You'll get very good at this play pattern on 7 difficulty.

Unsafe Railgun is more for titans than anything else, and the hulks on the bot side of things. Soloing a titan is one of helldivers true joys (in light armor, do not try with any other armor type).

It's much more fun to live dangerously.

My standard "scout" loadout is airstrike/orbital laser/Railgun/laser dog. And I usually top the kill charts (thanks to the dog cleaning up all the chafe while I crush hard target's with the Railgun).

Don't forget to equip the 7th(?) page of the regular warbond's helmet (the one with the hood that goes with the light armor on the same page) for a speed boost :ssh: (it's probably just a visual bug).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

none of this would have happened if they had just made the game worse. classic mistake, making your game good instead of bad

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Owl Inspector posted:

none of this would have happened if they had just made the game worse. classic mistake, making your game good instead of bad

So thats what keeps this from being a AAA game.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Quick play is working again!

E: I did get insta kicked with the first squad I joined but hope springs eternal

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Hell yea Oceania time baby

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this is insane, HD1 was a top down twin stick shooter, not a major release squad shooter, they never should have expected it to only barely exceed HD1

And they didnt. They expected 10x the people from the previous game, around 150k, to be a Good Result

And they got over 3x that. For reference with some other popular coop shooters - DRG peaked at 50k, DarkTide at 105k.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 21, 2024

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Enabling cross play fixed my matchmaking problems on ps5 fwiw

Thank you, this worked for me

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'm not surprised that coop games are such a popular genre but a 3rd person scifi one in the style of starship troopers I never would've guessed if you asked me prior to release

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Janissary Hop posted:

I waited in queue almost 3 hours before I just started stalking my friend list / the goon steam group to find someone I could just join in game. Got in within minutes, could then play normally. Makes sense to me.

KingKapalone posted:

I waited two hours and then gave up. I guess I should try a different method.

Janissary Hop posted:

It never fails when I select someone and press join in game. Most of the time it just dumps me into my ship, only twice have I landed into an actual game and awkwardly excused myself.

Yeah, I learned this today. It's a 100% effective way to bypass the queues entirely. Joining someone's game through the steam friends list always works. It's apparently not a secret so that probably isn't helping the queue times if thousands of people are being dragged over the limit.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I unlocked the Liberator Explosive but I dunno if I like it vs my trusty Marksman Rifle

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

wow I unlocked the laser primary weapon and it's rear end

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Janissary Hop posted:

I waited in queue almost 3 hours before I just started stalking my friend list / the goon steam group to find someone I could just join in game. Got in within minutes, could then play normally. Makes sense to me.

How, pray tell, does one find and join this “Goon Steam Group”?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

hey mom its 420 posted:

wow I unlocked the laser primary weapon and it's rear end

Run around being someone's drone if they forgot to bring one.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I threw my grenade at a bug hole and while it was midair a bug jumped out of the hole, the grenade bounced off of it, and blew up my teammate and all I could do was stand and watch

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sure it did. :wink:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The daily today reminding me that the AM rifle is really dogshit, it can't even reliably pop chicken walker legs in two shots, nor punch through the cupola. At least it can kill Hulks through the eyeslit though

Hulks are surprisingly vulnerable to a lot of stuff if you can aim, much unlike Chargers just being complete assholes. Their terrible speed really fucks them over.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I unlocked the laser rifle from the battle pass. It's ... OK? But not nearly as good as the Breaker. Theoretically you'd think that it'd be excellent for burning the faces of Chargers etc, but that doesn't really seem to do anything. And for normal enemies you have to burn them for a few seconds before they die, whereas with the Breaker I can just mash the right trigger while panning my reticle across an enemy line and be rewarded with 10 kills.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Breaker is just seriously out of line with the rest of the primary guns. I know they've got bigger fish to fry right now, but I hope there are some adjustments made. Preferably the adjustments should be buffing the other guns and not nerfing the Breaker.

Also make the Stalwart a primary. I tried it out and its indeed good, but its a tough sell as a Stratagem slot.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Breaker is just seriously out of line with the rest of the primary guns. I know they've got bigger fish to fry right now, but I hope there are some adjustments made. Preferably the adjustments should be buffing the other guns and not nerfing the Breaker.

Yes, 100%. Pretty much all the main guns are fine at low difficulties, but even at ~5 there's so much stuff to kill and it starts to take so many bullets to kill that you're severely crippling yourself by playing with something other than the Breaker. We were running some trio missions on Suicide Mission yesterday, and it seriously takes an entire Breaker magazine to bring down even those normal bigger bugs, so I couldn't imagine trying to play those difficulties with worse guns.

So yeah, if they nerf the Breaker to be on the level of everything else, that's a bad move.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also make the Stalwart a primary. I tried it out and its indeed good, but its a tough sell as a Stratagem slot.

Yeah, running a combo of Breaker, Redeemer and Autocannon is nigh unbeatable right now unless you really need that backpack slot for something else.

I am considering running with an SMG and the ballistic shield backpack, seeing as I enjoy fighting the bots far more than the bugs. I've not had a chance to try it properly yet, but it seems promising.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fuuuuuuck

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The JAR-5 Dominator shits on the breaker if you actually care about being awesome and freedom.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Maybe, but the JAR-5 is also a lot more work to get given its at the end of the premium battlepass. So most people gotta earn the SC to get said pass then earn the medals to get to the JAR-5. Meanwhile the Breaker was on Page 4 of the standard pass and only needs ~150 medals to reach. So I'm not surprised there aren't too many being used.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The Breaker is absolutely S-tier, but I wouldn't sleep on the Diligence especially for bots. It's got extremely good hip fire performance and the scope is super useful for picking off gunners and walkers at long range. It's got legs especially if your squad is sticking together and other people have Breakers.

King poo poo of primary mountain remains the Slugger though, it hits all kinds of good breakpoints. One shot to big bot faces, two shots to one of their legs. Two shots to headcap a brood commander or armored warrior. The ammo limits are harsh and it doesn't have the hunter-clearing of the Breaker, but to be honest you're running a Railgun and laser Guard Dog, you don't NEED waveclear. The other place where the breaker shines, firing point blank at butchers and stalkers the Slugger pulls better because it can staggerlock them.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

The daily today reminding me that the AM rifle is really dogshit, it can't even reliably pop chicken walker legs in two shots, nor punch through the cupola. At least it can kill Hulks through the eyeslit though

Hulks are surprisingly vulnerable to a lot of stuff if you can aim, much unlike Chargers just being complete assholes. Their terrible speed really fucks them over.

hulks are slow af but that flamethrower has a surprisingly nasty range

chicken walkers i've just been peppering with grenades and that does them in pretty reliably (and cleans up all the grunts around their feet). forget trying to aim at their scrawny lil legs

did some hard bots tonight and once we realized what was going on with the stratagem scrambler (a 500kg bomb may have been dropped on us) it actually went a lot smoother than i expected.

also managed to pop my first drop ship with an e.a.t.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The JAR-5 might definitely have one thing going for it though: Explosive Trait

https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1756445973964832778

But yeah, balance changes. I don't want to feel forced to use the railgun, the laser drone, or the breaker in high end content. They don't appeal to me style-wise. :argh:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I got tired of Breaker/Autocannon. Having a lot more fun now with Slugger/Stalwart.

Game is so awesome. I am now Death Captain :pram:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

But yeah, balance changes. I don't want to feel forced to use the railgun, the laser drone, or the breaker in high end content. They don't appeal to me style-wise. :argh:

The Dominator doesn't have the Explosive trait, despite being an Explosive-category weapon.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I like the Dominator (JAR-5) and the Stalwart together. The Dominator is a one size fits all weapon, you can click the little guys once or the big guys a bunch of times and both die. It's got great range too, I take out the spore obj with it all the time. It just has low ROF and mag size so you need more when you get overwhelmed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is totally how I'm feeling. I love the breaker but I don't really feel like the railgun or laser drone are that fun. At the same time I feel like it's dumb not to use them after lvl 6 difficulty.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

rip Fenrir III, you will be missed

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe, but the JAR-5 is also a lot more work to get given its at the end of the premium battlepass. So most people gotta earn the SC to get said pass then earn the medals to get to the JAR-5. Meanwhile the Breaker was on Page 4 of the standard pass and only needs ~150 medals to reach. So I'm not surprised there aren't too many being used.

Who gives a poo poo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lt. Broccoli posted:

lmao you can really just join game on some nobody in steam and it zips you right past the login. it's like a 5 minute wait at a black screen. are people endlessly hammering a login server for hours when a processed queue could have gotten them in within 5 minutes? hilarious if true

Same for PS5. Quickplay from the PS5 menu card gets you in every time in under 2 mins, even if it fails to join you to a game it drops you right on the bridge. Democracy. Just played for 6 hours. No wait times, no crashes, no glitches. Also, I spent a good amount of time on my ship because gently caress everybody.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

dog nougat posted:

Post your ship names y'all!

Started with SES Princess of Supremacy, but finally settled on the much more entertaining SES Fist of Mercy

Song of Freedom

It goes a little something like this:

ahem

O Super Earth, O Super Earth
Home of Free-dom and Liber-ty

Into Hell, for you we dive
With Patriot guns, we soon arrive

Mange our de-mo-cracy

No bug or bot, shall be left alive
Teams of four, but not of five

Through you our hearts are Free

then it's the solo from Freebird, accompanied by gunshots and explosions

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 21, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Same. I am ride or die Arc Thrower man and I refuse to join the grenade launcher autocannon railgun meta. It’s boring. :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

JBP posted:

Who gives a poo poo
weird response to someone saying(correctly) why everyone is using one weapon over another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's 1k super credits (or 10USD) and 280 medals too. I'm not busting my rear end for that poo poo.