Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://x.com/RNIN_St1v1/status/1759992506056425727?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Medullah posted:

I originally said Nemesis but I think it's more like Artist with Clown arc projectiles. You have to hit them once to "swarm" them, and then again to damage them.

He definitely should not be 115%.

You actually have to not miss them to "swarm" them.

The projectile has an AOE. A direct hit causes hindered. A near miss causes the "swarm" type effect.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

loving lol, I'm pretty sure bloodlust during hatchet holding is one of those "we never thought this would come up" issues

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I mean bloodlust is such a rare thing that you wouldn't expect a studio of professional game designers to account for it.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Doomykins posted:

Insanely bad perk, absolutely ridiculous.

Honeypots 1-4 survivors to the basement, occupied them for as much time as they'd save in the generators themselves, practically throws the match afterwards. What is the appeal? Even if you have SFW organization to set up five generators to nearly done, four man push the invocation out super fast and get a simultaneous 4-5 gen.. ok, now you're guaranteed chain slugs if you don't perfectly coin flip the exit gate?

Erring on the side of caution til they see how it plays most likely.

Lores are cool, survivor who’s ’jokes on you I’m into that poo poo’ and the monster getting hijacked both v fun.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 20, 2024

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I cannot believe that they're gal palling Mikaela and Sable those two are definitely dating? I am so excited though, Mikaela chapter got me into dbd and I'm so glad there's a full sequel chapter with a hosed up monster and a map.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

curiousTerminal posted:

I cannot believe that they're gal palling Mikaela and Sable those two are definitely dating? I am so excited though, Mikaela chapter got me into dbd and I'm so glad there's a full sequel chapter with a hosed up monster and a map.

they absolutely are dating and i'm so here for it

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Relyssa posted:

That's usually the case, yes. These are some really questionable balance changes, at best.

I was going for more of a

You should be more ambitious NO NOT LIKE THAT

If you think that the changes are bad, too, that's certainly not making the situation less ironic. Take it up with the monkey's paw

Oh, hey, new killer

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Huntress needs zero buffs, and the only 'nerf' Pig needs is that a survivor cannot die from a trap while working on a box, and screaming/getting interrupted doesn't reset progress. +30 second timer is just baffling.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

All the twitter drama about it being a legally distinct wendigo, and it turns out that it's actually legally distinct Mandela Catalogue

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Relyssa posted:

Huntress needs zero buffs, and the only 'nerf' Pig needs is that a survivor cannot die from a trap while working on a box, and screaming/getting interrupted doesn't reset progress. +30 second timer is just baffling.

Is it actually +30? Like not increased TO 30, but they added another 30 seconds?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Umbreon posted:

Is it actually +30? Like not increased TO 30, but they added another 30 seconds?

Yes, moved from 1m30s to 2m for a head pop.

Whoops see tithin's response for correct times

Remember they balance based on the majority of players, so I'm guessing there are too many head pops at lower levels.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 20, 2024

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Umbreon posted:

The Pig
Basekit
Increased the Reverse Bear Trap's timer to 180 seconds (was 150).
Removed The Pig's ability to see Jigsaw Boxes.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Man, that is completely uncalled for. It's not going to stop tunneling pigs, it only hurts the ones playing fairly.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

if sable's tome doesn't have her and mikaela kiss i am quitting this game forever

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'll admit my eyes kind of glazed over trying to read the Unknowns lore but his powers seem weird. He can shoot out an alien mouth thing that sprays people with gunk that they have to look at him to get rid of, and also creates clones that you can teleport to? Love the design but mechanically he just seems kinda all over the place.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

new killer is going to have fantastic hat game

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'll admit my eyes kind of glazed over trying to read the Unknowns lore but his powers seem weird. He can shoot out an alien mouth thing that sprays people with gunk that they have to look at him to get rid of, and also creates clones that you can teleport to? Love the design but mechanically he just seems kinda all over the place.

Does he? Looks like he's got a pretty solid chase ability with counterplay and also map mobility, All pretty simple to use too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Umbreon posted:

Does he? Looks like he's got a pretty solid chase ability with counterplay and also map mobility, All pretty simple to use too.

I should clarify, I mean like. His kit on a purely mechanical level works but it feels like two random things thrown together which also feel kind of weird with the killers aesthetic (to me)

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Yeah its super disjointed and doens't really fit any theme. He is a grotesque psuedo-human carrying a fire axe, who can shoot out a weird fog from his trunk snoot that weakens survivors unless they look at him and he can also leave behind copies of himself randomly to teleport to?

Its weird and dumb imo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So for those of you that like leaks, there's a guy who's been accurate since Alien and he's saying the next two chapters are

Anniversary will be Vecna from D&D, who inspired Vecna from Stranger Things but is not the same.

After that, Castlevania chapter

Please keep any replies in spoilers since a lot of people here don't like leaks

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Medullah posted:

So for those of you that like leaks, there's a guy who's been accurate since Alien and he's saying the next two chapters are

Anniversary will be Vecna from D&D, who inspired Vecna from Stranger Things but is not the same.

Not picking up another Stranger Things killer is leaving some serious low effort money on the table. Also a bizarre market and tone mismatch.

... Castlevania? I could buy an original vampire killer but what's this IP bring to DBD?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Doomykins posted:

Not picking up another Stranger Things killer is leaving some serious low effort money on the table. Also a bizarre market and tone mismatch.

... Castlevania? I could buy an original vampire killer but what's this IP bring to DBD?

Well remember they said it takes a year or more to make a killer, and they just got the ST license back late last year so I would imagine we'll see something near the end of the year

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kwolok posted:

Yeah its super disjointed and doens't really fit any theme. He is a grotesque psuedo-human carrying a fire axe, who can shoot out a weird fog from his trunk snoot that weakens survivors unless they look at him and he can also leave behind copies of himself randomly to teleport to?

Its weird and dumb imo

Yeah I’m also kinda underwhelmed by the design tbh.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Otz video up, direct link to the Mori

To each their own but I think they got a hell of an art/modeling/skeleton rigging combo going here. :allears:

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Kwolok posted:

Its weird and dumb imo

The way I see it, the Unknown's flavor makes sense on a meta level because they make no sense in-universe. Why is the Unknown filled with purple hallucination gas and why does it have weird teleportation phantoms? The same reason Slenderman constantly emits electromagnetic static and teleports: because the OP thought it was a cool/weird visual and it helps explain why the only pictures available look like bad photoshops. I'd even say the Unknown is more coherent in-universe than its creepypasta peers, if only because you can explain the teleportation by the viewer inhaling too much weird gas to tell where it is and what's just a hallucination.

Is it still incoherent? ... Well, yeah, but welcome to modern internet horror. The design works for me, but I get it.

Also, on the subject of those spoiled leaks: If the Castlevania crossover is happening, I'm excited for it because that probably means Dracula and that's always cool. But as a D&D nerd, I have zero interest in Vecna showing up. One, he's the God of Secrets, he has better poo poo to do than chase twentysomethings around a pile of scrap. Two, he's an undead wizard-god, he doesn't even have a cool iconic weapon/fighting style to chase people with. His iconic items are the body parts he got chopped off when his lieutenant betrayed him. What makes him cool does not come through on DBD's scale, and the fact that it's a possibility makes me doubt this leak in the first place.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I mean you can say "Well they made the killer zany! its meant to be a hodge podge of nonsense!" and like sure but that doesn't make it any less lazy/uninspired. Like you like whacky and zany things because they are labelled as whacky and zany then sure go hog wild.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

I'm just assuming that The Unknown is the result a Spirit Halloween owned by aliens making a human costume based on the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books.

Edit: For the sake of saying it, I'm down with that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1760094335985447333?s=20

Oh snap this is cool, a horror legend

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Shame they're not adding her to a good game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

tithin posted:

The Pig
Basekit
Increased the Reverse Bear Trap's timer to 180 seconds (was 150).
Removed The Pig's ability to see Jigsaw Boxes.

Wait but loving why? The Pig's traps were already a non-issue unless they were running that very specific addon combo and now they're even more useless.

Medullah posted:

The first one seems to line up with some other information.

People reported that D&D are doing some kind of big Stranger Things Vecna promotion that's scheduled to start literally at the same time as the DBD Anniversary event.

For the second, watch the Castlevania killer be like some D grade side boss from Lords of Shadow or some poo poo.

Kwolok posted:

I mean you can say "Well they made the killer zany! its meant to be a hodge podge of nonsense!" and like sure but that doesn't make it any less lazy/uninspired. Like you like whacky and zany things because they are labelled as whacky and zany then sure go hog wild.

Yeah I don't get it.

I love the killer's look and the lore seems cool too, and the thing of mimicing the voices of its previous victims is also great. But the killer's power doesn't seem to have anything to do with any of these things? It can spit globs of explosive goo from a weird alien carbuncle mouth? And that somehow occasionally makes phantom copies of it that it can teleport to? And this is all somehow the result of a secret government vaccine? The whole thing feels like they were going to make some kind of alien killer (which the rumours said they were doing) but lost the license or had to pivot at the last moment, and just tied the gameplay of that alien killer into the concept of Killer B, even if they don't match at all.

Maybe they just should've made this a legendary Dredge skin with creepy voice lines and be done with it.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 21, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t think they lost the license to some other killer at all, I just think they tossed a bunch of unused gameplay ideas together and tried to paper over it with “maybe it’s an alien wait no maybe it’s a secret experiment wait no maybe it’s ancient evil!” lore.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

There's juuuust enough unifying theme in design to help pitch the idea that maybe there's a physical science reason Unknown exists, a logical and realistic explanation that he's some sort of alien spider monster made of experimental hallucinogenic compound. That maybe any discrepancy can be explained by victims being exposed to a hallucinogen and then the whammy that he's actually not entirely explainable, that he defies physics, that he's supernaturally awful.

The obtuseness is deliberate and it's a clear homage to the weird modern horror ideas of urban legend cryptids/creepy-pasta stories. The real clunkiness is the limitations of "killer must have a unique gameplay hook to not obsolete others on the roster" and what they can do in the engine that has meaningful gameplay feel and function. Even then he looks snappy and fun and I'm half worried that anyone with mild fps experience will find his projection too easy to aim and lead targets with.

BHVR can drag their feet in some areas but killer design isn't one of them. What's their original killer record? Trickster had a mixed reception that was probably more latent homophobia in gamers than anything else, Twins is a great design with the gameplay being a let down, Knight recovered from initial awkwardness and Skull Merchant seems to be one of the only direct misses. From day one with Trapper on the original killers have been well done. It's certainly not a recent trend or anything since you have the likes of Artist, Singularity and Dredge being clear wins.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 21, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doomykins posted:

The obtuseness is deliberate and it's a clear homage to the weird modern horror ideas of urban legend cryptids/creepy-pasta stories. The real clunkiness is the limitations of "killer must have a unique gameplay hook to not obsolete others on the roster" and what they can do in the engine that has meaningful gameplay feel and function.

I mean those are all valid points. Maybe I'm just out of tune with modern horror cryptid stuff, because while I can see that in the lore, not so much in the gameplay.

Honestly? The big thing for me is the weird proboscis. I don't see how that fits at all.

Doomykins posted:

BHVR can drag their feet in some areas but killer design isn't one of them.

For the most part yeah, agreed. Sometimes they have trouble executing in a way where the power actually feels meaningful and good to use, but the designs are pretty solid for the most part. I think my big standout fails would be Skull Merchant and Singularity.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 21, 2024

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
gameplay aside really nice to see an original killer that isn't a statuesque dark fantasy model or a stock archetype like evil cowboy, evil knight, probably the creepiest killer design in the game next to myers and the dredge.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 21, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean those are all valid points. Maybe I'm just out of tune with modern horror cryptid stuff, because while I can see that in the lore, not so much in the gameplay.

Honestly? The big thing for me is the weird proboscis. I don't see how that fits at all.

I'm not the biggest fan of it but I recognize the tone from SCP or Slenderman style stories. It really sounds like a lazy defense but part of the point is that you can't make sense of it. This causes an uncanny valley response. Look at the proboscis and then the mori animation. Unknown is so close to being a physical entity that can be explained.

But to maintain the cryptid logic he cannot be fully explained. Even pure supernatural killers like Spirit, Nurse, Oni, Hag, etc have a thread of logic. Unknown blurs the line because that's part of his genre.

It's like asking why SCP-682 is indestructible or they don't just torch SCP-173. Part of the enjoyment of the IP is accepting the suspension of disbelief. Hell, part of the enjoyment is the thought exercise for explanations and counterpoints.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doomykins posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of it but I recognize the tone from SCP or Slenderman style stories. It really sounds like a lazy defense but part of the point is that you can't make sense of it. This causes an uncanny valley response. Look at the proboscis and then the mori animation. Unknown is so close to being a physical entity that can be explained.

But to maintain the cryptid logic he cannot be fully explained. Even pure supernatural killers like Spirit, Nurse, Oni, Hag, etc have a thread of logic. Unknown blurs the line because that's part of his genre.

It's like asking why SCP-682 is indestructible or they don't just torch SCP-173. Part of the enjoyment of the IP is accepting the suspension of disbelief. Hell, part of the enjoyment is the thought exercise for explanations and counterpoints.

I think I get that. Like I said, I'm not in tune with modern cryptid stuff, I've never read any SCP stuff or anything like that. From this perspective I think there's a limit to what suspension of disbelief can excuse before a design becomes lazy or dumb, though.

Suspension of disbelief is naturally a big part of any horror thing, and not just because as far as we know, poo poo like ghosts don't actually exist, but because many horror stories don't 100% make sense and you have to roll with it. Like take the Gremlins and their rules that don't make a bit of sense if you think about them for a second? It works, it's a good story, and the rules make horror movie sense: you are given a strict set of rules to follow, and if you break them, you will get severely punished. Classic "kids, listen to your loving parents and be good Christians or I swear to God the Devil's gonna get you!" stuff.

But this is like... if In Halloween 4 Michael Myers just randomly had an actual Star Wars lightsaber and used that to kill people. You'd rightfully go "wait hang on a second, what the gently caress?" because that doesn't fit the overall vibe of the rest of the character. I'm perfectly fine with the Unknown using weird energy balls to slow people down with, but why is he shooting them from a god drat barnacle? But again -- I'm not well versed in SCP stuff, so maybe this is just how that stuff is. It's not the end of the world.

(If Michael Myers does have a lightsaber and is a Jedi in one of the Halloween movies, let me know immediately because I want to see it)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I think the barnacle is to go with a theme for bio-engineered/fleshy as an art design bandaid. It'd probably look better if that tall neck and head was used to mortar spit it from his mouth.

I also misread UHC as VHS when the original power tooltip hit and thought his theme was generating static and electrical interference. :shobon:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doomykins posted:

I think the barnacle is to go with a theme for bio-engineered/fleshy as an art design bandaid. It'd probably look better if that tall neck and head was used to mortar spit it from his mouth.

Yeaaaah I can kinda see that. And yeah, if you have a tall neck monster, then you have to use the neck as some kind of weapon. That's just the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think the intent is to add mystery. Is it a monster in a human meat suit? A mass of tentacles and teeth in a poorly made human disguise? And it’s all done to raise questions.

The problem I have is that it doesn’t resonate with me as ambiguous but just cobbling together stuff. Its barnacle cannon and tentacles only appear when used for its kit/mori. Its idle animations and lobby animations and all the promo material show it as this spider-like thing: a bug made out of the shape of a human. And it scurries around on all fours and lunges at people. But its reveal is a person thing with a fire axe that lobs energy bombs.

It almost feels like some release dates got shuffled around, and they couldn’t release a second killer whose gimmick is a low profile with a dash. So it got some projectiles and a teleport.

That’s why it fails, as the weird stuff isn’t baked into the presentation. It’s strictly separated into just gameplay bits.