Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Neeksy posted:

They don't get to see the velvet room or know just how much money you're spending to re-summon poo poo, either.

Past a certain point they all just get used to the annoying quirk the MC has where they say no to hanging out, vanish for 30 mins to run down to the mall, and then suddenly show back up and go actually hey I changed my mind yeah let's hang out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dang, did you guys playing on Merciless manage to get to floor 22 on the first night? I'm getting my cheeks clapped. Made it to floor 11 and I have like zero resources left.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
The early game tower bosses have been massively toned down from the original game, so I didn't have any issue clearing out Block One on the first go. I barely clutched out a first try victory on the High Priestess Full Moon Shadow though, I got the killing blow on literally the last second I could have and only because I got a lucky crit.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

fadam posted:

Dang, did you guys playing on Merciless manage to get to floor 22 on the first night? I'm getting my cheeks clapped. Made it to floor 11 and I have like zero resources left.

yeah but i had to cheese the last boss by fishing for poison procs with yukari's poison bow and then just guarding until he died

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

fadam posted:

It's the hardest thing to do in the game. If you didn't it helps to get the x amount of mad bulls available at that point to help with SP. Eventually you'll get physical attacks and you can save your sp for healing. If you're really desperate the shadows on the first floor are weak to strike attacks and can be farmed for arcana drops.

After you get past this part you get showered in twilight gems from exploring areas you didn't have access to yet and then from s-links / Elizabeth requests. I've had enough gems every month to open every chest I encountered and have enough left over for at least one full heal from the clock.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It’s also okay to… not clear out the first block in one go and just do the rest of it when the second block opens up. You’ll have Akihiko and everything will be easier. There’s no time limit for anything in that first block.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

It’s also okay to… not clear out the first block in one go and just do the rest of it when the second block opens up. You’ll have Akihiko and everything will be easier. There’s no time limit for anything in that first block.

maybe on lower difficulties but on merciless i cleared the first block and still felt underleveled for priestess

like if you give up and decide to come back with akihiko then you'll end up fighting priestess at like level 8 and you are going to get owned

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are there numbers on how much Akihiko’s characteristic improves buffs?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
P4 and P5's structures incentivized "CLEAR EVERYTHING IN ONE DAY, THE FIRST DAY" gameplay styles, whereas P3's structure doesn't really punish you social-link-wise by going to Tartarus.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
It's far from necessary, but it is fun to see how far you can push your team to go in a single trip in the early game. It was extremely easy to do in P3 Portable since they massively toned down the fatigue system and fully healing your party only cost a small chunk of the millions of yen you got from exploring Tartarus instead of the much more limited Twlight Fragments.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I used Ken/Koromaru/Akihiko for my final team and it was all pretty doable tbh. On normal though of course.

its all doable even on merciless rly. i did yukari aigis koro from the second i could and even getting pwnt by the double lightning weakness constantly was mangable

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i used korumaru for most of the last "dungeon" though what he mostly did was spam debilitate repeatedly, which was extremely useful

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
p3r thoguths now i beat it

cons:

the first cutscene on the roof isnt as good as the original, but its weird because all of the other in game cutscenes for the rest of the game are really really well coreographed and animated. stuff like the chidori scene works insanely well as in engine so idk what happened. couldve done with another pass as its the first impression + an iconic scene. but thats really the only one i felt was worse/a let down

i dont like the chidori changes being rolled in and i didnt realise they were until it was too late. can at least skip on replays btu yuck

takayas face on his model isnt gaunt enough. it looks fine most of the time but when they use camera angles from low to the ground, which they do a lot when strega is first appearing, he has a little chubby face and it doesnt look like him.

i think those are my only complaints and theyre nitpicks lol one of the best remakes ive ever played. also having not played 3 for so long the difference in writing between 3 and the later games is so ridiculously stark. even before oct the general writing + the slinks areso much better than 4 and 5 its insane. characters dont turn into weird charicatures of themselves and have genuine growth and change that feels natural and earned, just head and shoulders above, and then everything in the last few months is completely beyond anything 4 and 5 even attempt. theres a level of coherency in 3 with what every part of the game is focused on thematically that isnt really there in the other 2, and it really keeps it up throughout the game both across the main story and the slinks.

also i like the ikutsuki reveal and strega more than adachi in 4, and a lot more than akechi and shido in 5. in 5 especially a lot of stuff is treated like it should be surprising or revealing but from the second shido and akechi are on screen its extremely obvious whats going on lol. i hope 6 can return to more subtlety ov er all. the writing is getting way too broad and risk averse. meanwhile 3s willingness to go all in got my rear end crying MULTIPLE times + wandering around the town at the end in TEARS for THIRTY minutes. and thats why its goated and goty.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation

Mailer posted:

I must have memory holed this stuff because I've played through P3 three times in various incarnations and I don't remember the links being this bad. I'm not even talking about content, just that the correct responses are are all the worst ones and then suddenly in rank 9/10 it all turns out ok.

the game isnt giving you points for giving correct responses. it isnt grading your moral character. the character you are talking to is responding to how much they like what youve said, which is dependant on their personality. thats how they should work lol. tanaka should give you points for indulging his narcissism because he is an insane narcissist and that shwat he would respond well too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

p3r thoguths now i beat it

cons:

the first cutscene on the roof isnt as good as the original, but its weird because all of the other in game cutscenes for the rest of the game are really really well coreographed and animated. stuff like the chidori scene works insanely well as in engine so idk what happened. couldve done with another pass as its the first impression + an iconic scene. but thats really the only one i felt was worse/a let down

i dont like the chidori changes being rolled in and i didnt realise they were until it was too late. can at least skip on replays btu yuck

takayas face on his model isnt gaunt enough. it looks fine most of the time but when they use camera angles from low to the ground, which they do a lot when strega is first appearing, he has a little chubby face and it doesnt look like him.

i think those are my only complaints and theyre nitpicks lol one of the best remakes ive ever played. also having not played 3 for so long the difference in writing between 3 and the later games is so ridiculously stark. even before oct the general writing + the slinks areso much better than 4 and 5 its insane. characters dont turn into weird charicatures of themselves and have genuine growth and change that feels natural and earned, just head and shoulders above, and then everything in the last few months is completely beyond anything 4 and 5 even attempt. theres a level of coherency in 3 with what every part of the game is focused on thematically that isnt really there in the other 2, and it really keeps it up throughout the game both across the main story and the slinks.

also i like the ikutsuki reveal and strega more than adachi in 4, and a lot more than akechi and shido in 5. in 5 especially a lot of stuff is treated like it should be surprising or revealing but from the second shido and akechi are on screen its extremely obvious whats going on lol. i hope 6 can return to more subtlety ov er all. the writing is getting way too broad and risk averse. meanwhile 3s willingness to go all in got my rear end crying MULTIPLE times + wandering around the town at the end in TEARS for THIRTY minutes. and thats why its goated and goty.

Yep. I agree with basically all of this except that I like the Chidori stuff. It's kind of a cop out but I think it works thematically for me.

I wish there was a bit more to do in the last month but I still love the music + just walking around seeing the billion apathy syndrome peeps + cult flyers all around town.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah honestly it's really hard to screw yourself over with any comp and kinda fun to tinker around. A few that I've tried:

Yukari/Akihiko/Mitsuru: covers all three debuffs, and Yukari/Akihiko form a good defensive anchor. The team makes use of Tranquility well, too.
Yukari/Junpei/Koromaru: Mixed damage team that can get crit rate up and charge/concentrate the party. Probably the best way to up the damage for Junpei's second Theurgy.
Mitsuru/Aigis/Koromaru: very crit heavy team, but MC has to do all the healing. Aigis over Junpei since she can at least bring Mataru and has Diarahan for emergencies.
Yukari/Ken/Akihiko: for if you just never want to die I guess. Lets Ken spam Makougaon to keep himself below half SP. MC has to handle all the offensive utility.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yep. I agree with basically all of this except that I like the Chidori stuff. It's kind of a cop out but I think it works thematically for me.

I mean the nice thing is that even if you hang out with Junpei you can still decide whether or not to save Chidori, you're not locked into it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wish there was a bit more to do in the last month but I still love the music + just walking around seeing the billion apathy syndrome peeps + cult flyers all around town.

i think for being a cop out, its literally as well done as it possibly could be + im not a monster and seeing junpei so happy from it teared me up for sure lol its fine really im just being harsh looking for faults, the shinjiro thing in portable is 1000x worse

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stux posted:

i think for being a cop out, its literally as well done as it possibly could be + im not a monster and seeing junpei so happy from it teared me up for sure lol its fine really im just being harsh looking for faults, the shinjiro thing in portable is 1000x worse

The Shinjiro thing in portable is much better, because Shinjiro still is going to explicitly die soon, you just give him a short amount of extra time because he doesn't die of acute bulletitis.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the major structural issue i have is that they took out a lot of the more deliberately unfriendly aspects of P3 which is fine, because some of those like backsliding links are things that very few people like. the other games took them out but in p3r they didn't replace that busywork with enough stuff, so there are just too many dead spots where you basically do nothing during the nights except eat ramen

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought the Shinjiro stuff added for 3R worked better as a replacement to his 3P s.link personally.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the party i had endgame was mc/yukari/ken/koro, taking two healers was probably overkill but i kind of felt like being safe especially with yukari having the party-wide status heal

divine intervention is basically a fight winner by itself, that ability is stupid busted ESPECIALLY because it apparently doesn't trigger some of the boss scripts which cause them to spam megalo- when you use too many barrier moves

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought the Shinjiro stuff added for 3R worked better as a replacement to his 3P s.link personally.

I agree with this.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also this is apparently ancient info but I didn't know the reason why Jin, Chidori, and Shinjiro all wear heavy clothing is part of taking the suppressants is it makes your body unable to regulate temperature anymore so you're always cold. And Takaya goes shirtless since he doesn't care. Neat lol. Was in some lore thing on niconico way back.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

The Shinjiro thing in portable is much better, because Shinjiro still is going to explicitly die soon, you just give him a short amount of extra time because he doesn't die of acute bulletitis.

It's never really stated but I guess Chidori is no longer in danger of dying early from suppressants after the revival?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the major structural issue i have is that they took out a lot of the more deliberately unfriendly aspects of P3 which is fine, because some of those like backsliding links are things that very few people like. the other games took them out but in p3r they didn't replace that busywork with enough stuff, so there are just too many dead spots where you basically do nothing during the nights except eat ramen

I dunno, coming up to the end of December and even in the early game when all you do is eat food and play at the arcade to raise social stats, at least it feels like you're working towards a goal (to get max stats). I've only had a few days so far where there was absolutely nothing to do (nobody wants to hang out, maxed stats, nothing to do on the computer). I imagine I'll get more of those in January, but for like 90% of nights I had something I was doing without being bored.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The last like 2 months I just went to the arcade every day which made my persona hella loving swole.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I liked both, I think they do different things and pull both off. Same way that Junpei's episodes are different from his link but they're both pretty good just in different ways.

Shinji's link exposes his more caring side which he doesn't really do in the main story outside of that one dorm recording. His linked episodes explore his past with the school and Mitsuru more.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

maybe one day, in all the many versions I've played P3, I'll do the Fortune link all the way through.

not looking good for this run though, gonna be real with you dude

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's never really stated but I guess Chidori is no longer in danger of dying early from suppressants after the revival?

I figure that since she literally dies and is reborn from the remnants of all the healing energy she put into the flowers she's fine.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I liked both, I think they do different things and pull both off. Same way that Junpei's episodes are different from his link but they're both pretty good just in different ways.

Shinji's link exposes his more caring side which he doesn't really do in the main story outside of that one dorm recording. His linked episodes explore his past with the school and Mitsuru more.

Fair. I don't hate the p3p link or anything, I guess I just feel this gives him more depth while also not feeling too wish fufillment-y like that did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't think it's ever 100% stated but since she got reset to before she even had a Persona I would assume so. They specifically note that her body is transmogrifying into a coffin (that's how they realize she isn't dead-dead) which means she's no longer part of the whole Dark Hour thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chidori is explicitly healed when she wakes up in FES at least, the doctor says it outright

Also the P3P Shinji link rules, it's fun, there's a compelling tragedy to it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The last like 2 months I just went to the arcade every day which made my persona hella loving swole.

i spent time with aigis and the old couple w both at max already because my mc would rather spend tim eiwht them than talk to kenji

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

i spent time with aigis and the old couple w both at max already because my mc would rather spend tim eiwht them than talk to kenji

Good. I spent the last free day with Chidori since it felt right.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kenji doesn’t have another setting on his dial. I think the only interaction I had with him where he talked about something other than his tragicomic love life was during one of koromaru’s walks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey now, Kenji also has a sister he's absolutely loving terrified the protagonist will hit on.

I do wonder how Kenji felt the next day after that. Honestly a part of me would like to see a short which was just all the S. links responding to the ending. Can't imagine the old couple was very happy.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh yeah. How do you get past the final Monad door? Is that just where the Elizabeth fight is? Said it was locked and I didn't bother finishing all her requests.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah. How do you get past the final Monad door? Is that just where the Elizabeth fight is? Said it was locked and I didn't bother finishing all her requests.

Yeah, that's just Elizabeth.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

yes, it’ll only unlock if you go there solo after receiving her battle invitation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the whole Monad thing/extra Strega scenes really made me feel like they were building up to some big Theurgy reveal that would be an alt-ending or something and they never did. I'm not actually upset about it but it certainly had the same air to it as Atlus' other "we're going off the loving rails' things.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Fortune is one of those links that doesn't really feel like it ends satisfactorily. Honestly it's practically a Priestess link, it reminded me too much of Yukiko's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I just need to bust the reaper and then I'm gonna finish things out. Had the fucker down to like 1/10th HP when he managed to get a lucky full party fear off and everybody ran away in sequence before MC got oneshot, lmao.

I really only have three complaints about the game and they're all nitpicks:
1. Last month could have a little more to do, but it's not a huge deal and it is neat watching the town collapse around you.
2. School S.Links are a bit too tight, I wish 1-2 of them had been moved to a night slot or more were doable on off-days. Not following any kind of guide and looking like Temperance and Fortune are going to fall well short, particularly since Aeon is opening up soon and eats the bulk of your remaining school slots if you want to max it.
3. All the new animations and cut-ins for all out attacks, crits, velvet room, etc are neat but maybe a little too long for things you're going to see repeated hundreds of times over. Granted this is also a problem P5 had and it's not really something that starts to be annoying until you're like 20+ floors into a Tartarus run.

I guess I could also talk about how the antique store menus are kinda hard to navigate because they're sorted by base material type rather than equipment type but at that point I'm really stretching to find things to complain about. Game is good and I'm kind of annoyed I'm gonna be finished up with it this week because it means I gotta think about something else to put on the burner next. Maybe I'll finally get around to playing the SMRPG remake.