Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Nightingale is a cool idea, and while stripping aside the aesthetics and story you're left with a pretty run of the mill survival game, it's fairly solid, looks good, has (imo) a lovely set of base building blocks, does some cool stuff with its many crafting stations, and brings some neat concepts to the table if you're into granular bits, namely the item quality mechanics.
How it works is, items belong to categories, and it's the categories that you use to craft, but items within that category vary in quality, tier, and other specifics. These are preserved through refining, e.g. when you make leather, it remembers what pelty you made it from, it doesn't just become all-purpose generic leather. And most resources, even very similar ones, have different stats. As an extremely basic example of how this comes into play, say you make the starter boots. You could make it with "Tier 1 Prey Leather", or you could make it from "Tier 1 Predator Leather", which will get you a slight increase in its HP boost. You could make your shawl with a pelt instead of a skin, which gives better cold protection. You could make your health potion out of this animal bone or that animal bone. This applies to all kinds of things, like early on you find quartz to make glass, but that glass can be made of any gemstone, so you could just as easily make ruby glass or diamond glass and that would affect the things you produce with it. It leads to a bit of inventory bloat, since pig bones and wolf bones go into different stacks, but there's a lot of fine control over crafting and being able to come back to even simple recipes and power them up just by using rarer materials.
Just kind of a neat system because it gives you a lot of customization options, and also doesn't stop you from crafting something because you brought back green orc leg hair instead of red orc leg hair, like some kind of idiot.

But! The game has some extreme growing pains at the moment.
There are AI controlled recruits you can hire and they seem almost completely broken, and there's no command menu to tell them what to do or even to stop doing something. Inventory UI is inconsistent and you can't just shift+click/ctrl+click to move items between containers. Item economy makes no sense (buy out the first trader by running around picking the grass around him for 2 minutes). Various interactions are kind of janky. Everyone is rioting over the always-online stuff because the servers are slow enough for it to be noticeable, and also it's just a bad idea from the start. Hopefully outcry's big enough to make them change their mind. You can't craft from nearby containers, which is increasingly becoming a thing in the genre, even if only fairly recently.
Perhaps most of all, a lot of people are getting bad performance, crashes, etc. I've seen threads that say it just runs out your memory and quits if you have the "wrong" run of GPU, and another poster said the game crashes when you mine stone. It's been pretty stable if not terribly performant for me, but boy I hope they use their time in EA wisely because there's a good game under these problems.

I'm currently stuck on the very first boss and I don't even know what the intended way to beat him is because you can't really dodge and he attacks very quickly and hits like a truck, but I don't really have any way of powering up more until after I beat him, so... yeah, guess I'm stuck.

Campbell posted:

There's a demo, but EA begins on Thursday.
Good news! Pacific Drive isn't early access, it's just a regular old fashioned release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Neebs gaming did a video
https://youtu.be/DKSR2KohO2k?si=ED3wafwgV8vgBS06

Its sponsered so they're not going to be too negative, and they're doing their normal thing about being kind of bad and dumb at a game, but it sure looks neat. But yea I think i'll wait a bit before grabbing it. I mean, I could get it or Helldivers 2 and everyones playing HD2.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
finally got around to playing the Pacific drive demo and drat that's a good game. can the mannequins actually hurt you? one of them was moving for a bit when I wasn't looking until he fell halfway into the earth and that freaked me out enough that when I went out the back door of the gas station and saw two dozen of them I just went back inside, closed the door, and ran to my car

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

finally got around to playing the Pacific drive demo and drat that's a good game. can the mannequins actually hurt you? one of them was moving for a bit when I wasn't looking until he fell halfway into the earth and that freaked me out enough that when I went out the back door of the gas station and saw two dozen of them I just went back inside, closed the door, and ran to my car

They can explode if you run into them.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Nightingale impressions:

Game looks fantastic, especially skyboxes at night. You have a lot of character creation options, but if you're running around in FPP that doesn't matter. Regardless it seems they spent all their artists' time on nice vistas and not player models because everyone looks vaguely like silly putty left under a heat lamp too long. So far there is only one voiced character I've found. Otherwise it's all reading. The basic premise of using cards to generate worlds or modify your current world is super cool. I haven't unlocked many building options yet, but you can frame out what you want to build before actually building it which is nice. Once you've placed something down you can easily move it so you don't have to destroy/rebuild it. Combat is kind of janky but not bad, you don't have to craft separate weapons and can just use your felling axe or pick to take out enemies. There's no lock on so you can end up whiffing a lot.

The recruit AI is hilariously, catastrophically stupid. My first one would stand in the firepit until she started burning. Luckily this didn't seem to cause any damage to her or light the forest on fire, but still. Also there is no command menu, not even "get over here" or "go over there." Depending on what they're equipped with, they will either deforest the entire biome in your immediate area or smash rocks. The starting inventory is small so there will be logs and rocks everywhere. They do not GAF and you can get slapped around by 5 enemies because someone is too busy chopping a tree to notice there's a fight going on. Upside is that they hit like trucks and are very tanky, probably to make up for being dumb as poo poo. They will also rez you if you get knocked, and you can rez them. No timer, just hit the prompt and they're up immediately. My first recruit got fired after I went to the first non-tutorial world after you get your home base, and built a small shelter/firepit for some sleep and cooking. She immediately chopped down a giant tree which fell on the structure and demolished it. Then I found a small settlement and was going to take over one of those buildings and she chopped another tree which smashed that as well so I took all of her clothes and then fired her. The next guy seems to be slightly less stupid, but that may be because he's forbidden from using a goddamn axe. They run off in weird directions and teleport back. I'd rather that than they fall off a cliff and can't get back to you though.

The UI is absolute dogshit. Your right hand weapons are on the left side of the screen, and vice versa. Whoever decided this should be a thing needs to stand in the firepit. I guess it's because it's designed for KBM so your main inventory is close to WASD and not mouse hand but ugh. It's visually confusing, exacerbated by the fact I'm playing on controller. Some things just don't work, like vendor menus. You'll have to use KBM for that. There's a lot of granularity in crafting but the interface is doo doo. You can only craft one thing at a time. Have 50 steaks? Have fun mashing the cook button 50 times. There's a lot of "you need this particular workstation to make this particular thing" which would be fine except there isn't an explicit list of what those stations make so it's a lot of "well I think you need a sewing bench to make thread, right?" Nope, need a spinning wheel for that. That makes sense in an IRL way, but it'd be less of a pain in the rear end if you just had one "clothes and clothes adjacent" bench. Hopefully player feedback will get them to do some streamlining - your first home base needs to be the size of fuckin' walmart to fit all the stations in it.

The exploration is fun and there are a lot of cool/weird things you'll stumble across in the wilderness. You can teleport to your base from anywhere which is nice, but then you'll have to jump back through a portal to where you were instead of being able to go right back ala Diablo. Because of this I suggest building your base by your home realm portal. I went for aesthetics and so I have to hoof it like a mile back to the portal. If you do fast travel you don't have to spend cards again, just reopen it.

I am (mostly) having fun, and the price is lower than what I've spent on some lovely door dash meal so I don't feel ripped off. However it's got some very rough edges and will need a lot of sanding before it goes out of EA. If money isn't an issue and you're jonesing for some pretty vistas and a cool concept I'd say grab it. If you're playing with friends then it's probably going to be a better experience. I haven't experienced any bad lag, but did lose server connection a couple of times which made me lose some progress. Agree that hopefully they allow people to play offline.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

You can definitely line up multiples/max amounts when crafting/cooking.
Some stuff does take longer than necessary imo. Not sure about queuing up multiples different things tbh.

Also, it sounds like your action bar has swapped back to the beta style (it was/is bad as gently caress) I'm pretty sure the ui/left-right thing is swappable now.

Seen claims around that there's only US servers. That's incorrect, but some people have been connected to the wrong one. Details are on the website.

Fuckin dumb that even single player needs to be connected still. Really hosed themselves with that and I can't imagine it would be simple to change.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 21, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its always either trivial or will completely break the game to fix :v

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nightingale question: can anyone tell me how to make arrows(I guess they're actually bolts or quarrels)?

Yeah the UI makes more sense on KBM, 1-5 are right hand/left click items because that's how it'd be in any shooter; the back half of 1-6 belong to your off hand. For those who haven't played you can basically hold a weapon and an item, so maybe you have out a knife and a torch or food healing powder.

I'm disappointed this game uses the old survival crafting concept of making me build a miserable hovel as my first house. "Here's a floor, a wall, and a roof, have fun making something that looks like it's from a game released 20 years ago. The starting houses in both Valhiem and Enshrouded look nice enough that you can incorporate them into your first real home.

Game looks nice but I'm try to find a sweet spot between graphics and performance. Between this and Pacific Drive maybe it's just my computer.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Jack B Nimble posted:

Nightingale question: can anyone tell me how to make arrows(I guess they're actually bolts or quarrels)?

Its called something like marble stone or stone marble, made on the crafting bench out of rocks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bann posted:

Its called something like marble stone or stone marble, made on the crafting bench out of rocks.

Thanks; I'd seen that crafting component but hadn't actually produced any yet.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wish I'd known that holding E picks up all nearby loose items (in a pretty large radius) because that would've made stone and ore mining so much less of a headache.

I've finally left the first realm and gotten to the second and boy howdy does the game open up like crazy all of a sudden. Way more options, way more stuff to do, way more variety in the world, realm cards are appearing in chests. All those weird locked points of interest around the world are now varying types of challenges with rewards. Did a long one and got some cool artifacts, did a short one and mostly just got currency. At one point I was rewarded with a temporary buff that gave me a mega jump like out of Morrowind, except it came with slowfall. Economy makes way more sense now, first shop was meant to be cheap as hell and paid off using just grasses and whatever's lying around.

I finished a little mini dungeon and got the treasure at the lowest point, but there was also a portal I opened up there via some old mechanism. Figured it was Skyrim style and would be a quick exit from the dungeon. Nope! Took me to a brand new realm, a miniature linear dimension passing through a challenge, rest point, challenge, and final dungeon climax, each with rewards. An optional bonus dungeon at the end of my dungeon! Finishing that finally took me back to where I started. That was pretty neat.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I'm pretty happy with the performance I'm (generally) getting in Nightingale. The details in case it helps anyone somehow..
I've a laptop with an RTX 3050 (only 4gb VRAM) Ryzen 5600h and 16GB of RAM.
Playing at 1440p as 1080 looks like poo poo on my 55" 4k TV, and I find the laptop screen too cramped.
Settings are pretty much all on "performance" I think. The one above lowest. DLSS balanced (I think)
FPS is from about 35 to 60 generally in the high 40s, so it's mostly in the VRR range of the TV.
Oh yeah ping is from 25 to 60, usually in the 30s

It still manages to look really nice at points, sunsets/rises are a highlight. Having watched a few videos and trailers I'm jealous though.
There's a 8-9 minute video showing a lot more of the later game stuff that looks interesting btw. Can't access my YouTube history atm sorry, but it was on IGN the other day, I think it's an official one, so pinch of salt and all that

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Ash1138 posted:

Here's a few shots of our base that I didn't quite finish before getting burned out. One friend built a basic structure out of wood then went on vacation and another expanded it a bit as more NPCs and crafting stations came online. Then I expanded some more, added the farming stuff, added interior/exterior details and reskinned it while trying to keep the basic structure in place.

Nice!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Personally I think between this and Nightingale we're getting to the point where these survival crafting homes look as good as what I'd expect in a commercially sold AA game. If those screen shots were a quest hub for some new MMO made by a small but professional company I wouldn't be disappointed.

This is almost exactly what I was thinking when looking at those screenshots. I'm assuming the blue chest things are that was because the game says "storage trunks glow so you know it's a storage trunk" or something, not for aesthetic reasons so I give it a pass, but that's the only thing that stands out.

But yeah if I were playing a game in a vaguely medieval or fantasy setting, got a quest to go to Lord Whatshisface's Manor and it looked like that, I would think "this guy's got a nice place!" It doesn't just look good for a player-built house, it just looks good and organic. I have no clue how difficult this actually was to accomplish though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Twenty Four posted:

Nice!

This is almost exactly what I was thinking when looking at those screenshots. I'm assuming the blue chest things are that was because the game says "storage trunks glow so you know it's a storage trunk" or something, not for aesthetic reasons so I give it a pass, but that's the only thing that stands out.

But yeah if I were playing a game in a vaguely medieval or fantasy setting, got a quest to go to Lord Whatshisface's Manor and it looked like that, I would think "this guy's got a nice place!" It doesn't just look good for a player-built house, it just looks good and organic. I have no clue how difficult this actually was to accomplish though.

Normal storage chests just look like wood. The glowing storage chests are imbued with Enshrouded magic dust and allow all your crafting to pull directly from them without having all the crap in your inventory.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Locator posted:

Normal storage chests just look like wood. The glowing storage chests are imbued with Enshrouded magic dust and allow all your crafting to pull directly from them without having all the crap in your inventory.

Thank god.

Christ that's my biggest gripe in most survival games. Just let me hand-wave away the part where I try to remember what chest I put the thee stacks of Eldrich Rabbit Tails and go back and forth grabbing them and maybe shucking my gear in the process because of weight restrictions, only to realize that I need to go back and also grab those two Superior Grade Unicorn Toenails that I forgot the recipe needs.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Nightingale doesn't pull from chests, gently caress sake.
They said it is pretty much top of the list and likely to be implemented in the next patch or whatever. I just don't understand, it's such a basic qol thing now

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Thank god.

Christ that's my biggest gripe in most survival games. Just let me hand-wave away the part where I try to remember what chest I put the thee stacks of Eldrich Rabbit Tails and go back and forth grabbing them and maybe shucking my gear in the process because of weight restrictions, only to realize that I need to go back and also grab those two Superior Grade Unicorn Toenails that I forgot the recipe needs.

Unfortunately there's still _some_ of this in Enshrouded, since the various crafting "fire and forget" stations require you to put a certain amount of ingredients in them. Like if you want to make 15 charcoal (one set), you put 17 wood logs and 3 dirt in the kiln. It won't pull this stuff from chests, you need to grab wood and dirt and put it in the kiln, but if you want to craft something with the NPC's, then it will.

You still need to remember which chest you put what into (but you can store all with one button) and later on it gets easier - at least for me - since I stored the appropriate items for each NPC crafter in chest(s) next to them. Now I remember all metal items and stuff you dig from ground go to chests near the blacksmith, all wood items on the carpenter, all alchemy ingredients on the alchemist ... etc.

I'm absolutely loving the fact that "craft from storage" is starting to be standard instead of an anomaly now. Palworld was so popular that no survival crafting games coming after cannot make theirs without it. Enshrouded has a good compromise with the magic chest, it's relatively easy to unlock.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Everyone should play Necesse.
Not only is it base building, exploration and crafting, you can make whole villages full of NPCs that act intelligently!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

YerDa Zabam posted:

They said it is pretty much top of the list and likely to be implemented in the next patch or whatever. I just don't understand, it's such a basic qol thing now

And don’t forget to turn off your fires if you aren’t using that station or it will eat all the wood. Pointless busywork.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Inzombiac posted:

Everyone should play Necesse.
Not only is it base building, exploration and crafting, you can make whole villages full of NPCs that act intelligently!

Tell that to my miner who got ate by zombies and the pawnbroker who's never come back after I accidentally hit him instead of the zombie pursuing him. Ok that last part makes sense, my island is a death trap.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Demon_Corsair posted:

And don’t forget to turn off your fires if you aren’t using that station or it will eat all the wood. Pointless busywork.

Palworld may be slowly ruining me for other survival type games. Need to craft? I have a dozen boxes and chests all over my base, I don't know where anything is and it doesn't matter, it pulls from wherever. Need to make 100 ingots? gently caress that, my giant firedog thing will handle it while I go back out to do other stuff.

I'm sure Nightingale will catch up and what I've seen of Enshrouded looks cool, but something needs a significantly different hook right now to pull me in after I done burned like 100 hours in Palworld.

(Different hook probably being Pacific Drive tomorrow)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

YerDa Zabam posted:

Yeah, no matter how you feel about Palworld a game that's sold that many copies has suddenly made a whole bunch of people go "wtf why hasn't this always been the way it's done?" Another trend I'm delighted to see falling by the wayside is crafting 25 walls and putting them in your pocket to build something. I do wish more games followed The Forest/Sons of and Nightingale's method of allowing you to kind of blueprint what you want to do with silhouettes instead of put up wall -> don't like -> smash wall down and start over.

The only bad thing about Palworld's system is you end up making way more storage than you actually "need" because pals will just stick poo poo in the closest available storage instead of stacking it so you end up with your ingots or whatever scattered across 10 boxes instead of all into one. Invisible Strain actually gives you the ability to designate what goes in certain boxes, and you can assign that one person who is poo poo at everything to organize it all for you. Come back from a looting run, throw everything into a single box and they'll spend all day every day being OCD on your behalf.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Palworld may be slowly ruining me for other survival type games. Need to craft? I have a dozen boxes and chests all over my base, I don't know where anything is and it doesn't matter, it pulls from wherever. Need to make 100 ingots? gently caress that, my giant firedog thing will handle it while I go back out to do other stuff.

I'm sure Nightingale will catch up and what I've seen of Enshrouded looks cool, but something needs a significantly different hook right now to pull me in after I done burned like 100 hours in Palworld.

(Different hook probably being Pacific Drive tomorrow)

Oh definitely. It’s really funny how a game that is so derivative in some ways is so innovative in others.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SubponticatePoster posted:

The only bad thing about Palworld's system is you end up making way more storage than you actually "need" because pals will just stick poo poo in the closest available storage instead of stacking it so you end up with your ingots or whatever scattered across 10 boxes instead of all into one. Invisible Strain actually gives you the ability to designate what goes in certain boxes, and you can assign that one person who is poo poo at everything to organize it all for you. Come back from a looting run, throw everything into a single box and they'll spend all day every day being OCD on your behalf.

Yeah, I really hope they implement that eventually. It would be super nice to be able to designate containers for item types.

I just stuck a box next to every producing type station for my Pals to stick whatever in, and then I made one of those giant metal shipping containers which has enough slots to store every basic item type. So if I'm dumping my inventory I can throw everything except food in the big shipping container and I don't really care where my little buddies stick everything else. Since I can craft out of all of them, it's rare enough for me to actually need to figure out where something physically is, aside from the locker next to my bed where I keep spare armors and skill fruits and whatnot.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Huh, I didn’t expect Pacific Drive is unlocking in five hours. I might not have had a drink in that case. OTOH, if I hit the sack earlier than usual maybe I’ll get some time in the morning instead of starting the download in the evening like I planned.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SubponticatePoster posted:

I think the ideal system would be to have a base-wide "sort" button. Or some sort of bird's eye GUI overview of the base with the chests highlighted and you can click and move items between them without physically running around?

No wait, the ideal system is just a single central inventory for the entire base and building chests just expands it, but all chests access the same huge sortable central inventory.
...but also you can manually tag any specific chests as not part of that in case you want to use them the old fashioned way.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Vib Rib posted:

Item economy makes no sense (buy out the first trader by running around picking the grass around him for 2 minutes).

Not sure if the game tells you this during the tutorial, but I accidentally stumbled onto the challenges menu, and you can click "claim" on any completed ones to get free poo poo. Got about 1600 essence this way, so I was able to buy out the trader comfortably without picking up random poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pacific Drive is $21.59 on GMG if you want to save a few bucks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sons of The Forest 1.0 releases tomorrow.

I played through everything it had at release and can't wait to replay it with all the new stuff.

Though I liked it that the cannibals didn't attack as much if you left them alone but it seems like it's been changed to expecting you to genocide them to keep raids down.

It was nice seeing them try to goad you in to attacking but now the whole system is changed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think I'm over survival games.

I want thriving games.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I played through everything it had at release and can't wait to replay it with all the new stuff.

Though I liked it that the cannibals didn't attack as much if you left them alone but it seems like it's been changed to expecting you to genocide them to keep raids down.

It was nice seeing them try to goad you in to attacking but now the whole system is changed.

Pretty much the same, gonna be trying it out as well - the story was pretty laughable and short in the EA release.

Not excited about the cannibal part, though, if it works like that. I'd much rather have an uneasy alliance with the locals than basically have to start killing them. Or at least see if there's a setting (I think there was) for your base to take no damage.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Not sure if the game tells you this during the tutorial, but I accidentally stumbled onto the challenges menu, and you can click "claim" on any completed ones to get free poo poo. Got about 1600 essence this way, so I was able to buy out the trader comfortably without picking up random poo poo.

Yeah I don't think it's mentioned, I watched a YouTube guy earlier that only noticed at 50-odd hours in. I did happen to notice it personally, but only because I'm a compulsive list digger, and there's quite a lot of lists and the like in this game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It is so funny to go from spooky mannequins and ominous pillars in the free demo mission to super fast spike balls and whirring death blades in the mission immediately after that

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah, I didn't notice that right away, but I did notice that in a pretty early swamp mission you're asked to go home and brew 3 potions and those were available to claim from a challenge so I just completed the mission on the spot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Good news! Pacific Drive isn't early access, it's just a regular old fashioned release.

oh thank christ

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I reckon Pacific Drive is not just going to be in the "good game" column for many people, but actually in the "special game" one.
It's also one that some people will bounce off off of course. I actually though I might be one as it is kinda hard, and definitely stress inducing which can often put me off, but it is just wonderful.
No details though as loads of stuff is best to just stumble upon. I kind of wish I hadn't watched the skillup review tbh. Still, no biggie, plenty of weird poo poo to be freaked out by

---
Nightingale has an exploit/cheese/price anomaly that you can (ab)use to get thousands of essence if you are the type. At least while it remains unpatched.

Buy bottles from the trader, process back into essence, buy again, repeat. IIRC you 4x your essence. Really just clicking the button is the limit

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 22, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Pacific Drive gives me a BSOD every time I try to start the car for the first time, so.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah same, I'm super excited for it. It looks pretty easy to copy your inventory and builds between saves so I'm still debating if I want a fresh start or a "New Game Plus" with my old stuff/base and set it on the hardest difficulty.

Honestly the main thing I want is my zip line highway from my base over the mountain. I spent a ton of time setting that up and it's so convenient, I'd hate to lose it or have to redo it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TeaJay posted:

Pretty much the same, gonna be trying it out as well - the story was pretty laughable and short in the EA release.

Not excited about the cannibal part, though, if it works like that. I'd much rather have an uneasy alliance with the locals than basically have to start killing them. Or at least see if there's a setting (I think there was) for your base to take no damage.

Yeah you can set your base to not take damage, which is what I recommend. It's a pain in the rear end to get an inconvenient raid that demolishes hours of work. They can be plenty deadly as-is, no need to make it miserable.
Aside from your helpers, there are no automated defenses that I know of, so I think it is best to have a tiny bit of safe haven.

Not sure where I want to build this time. There are certainly some neat cliffside locals that offer tons of defense but they tend to be really out of the way. A floating base made during the winter is always tempting but you can't do that right away. Maybe the golf course for the flat land and great sight lines? Not a lot of resources, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

FFT posted:

Pacific Drive gives me a BSOD every time I try to start the car for the first time, so.

What's the STOP code for that BSOD?